Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I downloaded this track a while ago called "Diet Mountain Dew (Reprise)", Is that a demo or is it fanmade? Also, I have a track called "Trash Sugar Magic", what's that?

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I downloaded this track a while ago called "Diet Mountain Dew (Reprise)", Is that a demo or is it fanmade? Also, I have a track called "Trash Sugar Magic", what's that?

"Trash Sugar Magic" = what Jesse from LDR.FM called the version of "Trash Magic" with the verses from what we now call "The Man I Love."

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I think Brite Lites is about Lana leaving her lover because he isn't good enough for her, he doesn't have the star quality that she possesses. Maybe he is also unappreciative of her "look at me look at me" "I gave you everything"

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

i've always thought that "brite lites" is about an ex-lover who lana stood by in dark or tough times, to whom she gave everything, and now he has the spotlight shining on him, having gained some recognition, and he's left her to only look for him in magazines, instead of sharing those newfound bright lights with her. hence her taking off her wedding ring, as she was unilaterally commited to an ungrateful bastard :brit:

That's a good theory, including the fact that it was written around the same time that Yayo that -maybe- it's about Jimmy Gnecco.

But I don't know when Jimmy got famous. :what:

That's a good theory, including the fact that it was written around the same time that Yayo that -maybe- it's about Jimmy Gnecco.

you could be right...since reeve and arthur weren't featured in magazines back then (unless she's referring to underground zines, but i doubt it), it could certainly be about jimmy. he started to get some music media attention back in 2001, so it could mean that it's not that he's just started to get famous, but that he just won't share that spotlight with her, because he won't make it "official" (like acknowledging her publicly as his girlfriend and taking her to events). i've kind of been there and it's an amalgam (shout out to sitar!) of irritation and nostalgia seeing someone who ultimately didn't choose you in national publications :pft:

It sure seems to be lana who found the Brite Lites, not her boyfriend, to me

nope, she looks for HIM in magazines and begs for him to give her the brite lites. if they were hers, and not the other way around, she wouldn't demand to be given them.

you could be right...since reeve and arthur weren't featured in magazines back then (unless she's referring to underground zines, but i doubt it), it could certainly be about jimmy. he started to get some music media attention back in 2001, so it could mean that it's not that he's just started to get famous, but that he just won't share that spotlight with her, because he won't make it "official" (like acknowledging her publicly as his girlfriend and taking her to events). i've kind of been there and it's an amalgam (shout out to sitar!) of irritation and nostalgia seeing someone who ultimately didn't choose you in national publications :pft:

nope, she looks for HIM in magazines and begs for him to give her the brite lites. if they were hers, and not the other way around, she wouldn't demand to be given them.

Well, now she has the brite lites. :grinds:

VyIsfwC.jpg

LOVE edna's theory, I always just thought it was about gogo dancing :teehee:

Can anyone explain to me what exactly Brite Lites is about?

EDIT: If anyone would be willing to, the entire AKA Lizzy Grant album.

It's too interesting. I know what some songs are about, but I like

another's opinion/beliefs.

I think this would make an interesting thread of its own, interpretations are always interesting for me to read.

Kill Kill - Being in love with a dying man? I suppose I've never looked at it beyond that.

QOTGS - Mostly her love of kitschy, trashy small-town America--I certainly think she did some traveling. This is a hint at all the open road, kindness of strangers business she went on about in the Ride monologue.

OSCYS - Just a sort of offbeat love song that's as much about the city as it is about her and this guy.

Gramma - Craving fame, craving one man to love who does it right for her. All the time heeding her grandma's words and advice.

For K Part 2 - I think this is about meeting a guy at a show. It's certainly a flirtatious sort of new love, mutual fascination. Since it was originally titled "Rehab", I often think it was about the supposed "local rockstar" she met there. Then again, K is in the title. So the subject is a little ambiguous.

Jump - Doing drugs. Doing drugs with a dude.

Mermaid Motel - I don't think I ever caught this before doing this, but it's message is pretty much the same as OSCYS. Maybe with some gogo dancing elements.

Raise Me Up - Someone help me here :eek:

Pawn Shop Blues - She gave up a lot for a guy, it seems, only to have the rug pulled out from under her and find herself alone and contemplating her existence as she barely scrapes by. I could go into psychobabble Maslow's hierarchy of needs shit, but I won't. Basically, she wants love, but she needs to live.

Brite Lites - Any of the above interpretations sound great to me.

Put Me in a Movie - Making a sextape with an older man, basically :teehee: I mean, what else?

Smarty - Exciting love with a rockstar.

Yayo - An obsessive love for a man who is addicted to cocaine. An obsessive love for cocaine? A sort of twisted engagement song, since it's about drugs but also eloping to Las Vegas.

Getting carried away :eek: That's a really brief interpretation, but yeah...

How many versions of Queen of the Gas Station are there? I have one called live that sounds like an acoustic demo with the extra lyrics and another that sounds like an a regular demo, but I heard there was another one or two?

I have gold in my veins

How many versions of Queen of the Gas Station are there? I have one called live that sounds like an acoustic demo with the extra lyrics and another that sounds like an a regular demo, but I heard there was another one or two?

Two demos and the album version.

last.fm  

I think it's about Jimmy too, even more because of the relation between the lyrics of Brite Lites and Yayo. I mean, Yayo mentions the Vegas engagement, or just her wish to elope who knows. Then, in Brite Lites, "I'm taking off my wedding ring"

isn't Trash Magic another song that's made up of several or was I just imagining that discussion?

Well the demo has the "Man I Love" lyrics added, which you might be thinking of, but the final (?) version we have afaik is just a standalone song, can't think of any lyrics being used in other songs...