Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

4 minutes ago, Nikogo said:

The way you’re absolutely right :defeated::defeated:

it feels like a more powerful expression of the mindset she had during 2016/2017 (when the world was at war before, we just kept dancing) and she really progressed on that in The Greatest, focusing in on the turmoil, and now we have a whole album full of it. 

She used a word, I can’t remember what it was, and said that she’s always seen the crashing of the world. She said she’s hyper aware of what’s happening 

I’m so excited!!

Yes, I 100% agree! I think she referred to herself as a fatalist who’s always seen something like this happening, and I’m excited to see her explore that in a very blunt but also bright-sided way. Like, “this is the state of the world and it’s insane but we’re making it all work” - I think that’s a really inspiring sentiment and Chemtrails will be like Norman in the way that it’s summative of our world at the time while not being a record “of the day” or dated - a broad cultural statement that is still so true to who Lana is!

3 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

So well-said, my friend! I really love what this record’s narrative is shaping up to be so far. I always felt like Lana was really spot-on when it came to making social commentary through her music (even if it appeared to be solely autobiographical in some of her earlier records, but I believe that she’s always woven some sort of grander message into her experiences). While we can conclude this by reading between the lines and not so much what she’s word-for-word saying, I love how she seems to be exploring womanhood, the legacy of familial bonds - regardless of how they are - and staying strong in the midst of tension by centering yourself into the things that are important to you. I think we’ll see the latter bit on Dance Till We Die in particular!

YES. Ugh welcome back. I completely agree in its respect by way of something I learned while studying German expressionism/post war film in college (remedial but I adored it, it was focused here with Margarethe Von Trotta) it's that the personal is political, and Lana excels at this. Her specificity and honor to the story she's telling exposes universal truths that all walks of life can and have experienced. We....we're really winning here aren't we?

She’s said before she thinks White Dress is “really really good” for Anne Mac, I wonder why she changed her mind and suddenly felt it was rough to listen to for Mojo..

"Don’t forget me"

25 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Watching the White Dress teaser more closely and maybe everyone else noticed it too, but I think in this screenshot below, we can see a trailer park in the background! She’s really going all the way there with the references to her life in 2007/2008 :wub: truly a full-circle moment, wow :oprah:

8-B6-D788-D-3-C01-4-EC8-AD35-41932-F481-

Why didn’t you put the song out yesterday???

IMG-3521.jpg

Just now, HighbytheSea said:

YES. Ugh welcome back. I completely agree in its respect by way of something I learned while studying German expressionism/post war film in college (remedial but I adored it, it was focused here with Margarethe Von Trotta) it's that the personal is political, and Lana excels at this. Her specificity and honor to the story she's telling exposes universal truths that all walks of life can and have experienced. We....we're really winning here aren't we?

We really are! And ugh, I love that so much, wow. The personal is the political, especially if you consciously take individual actions that are good-intentioned and of course are executed properly. I so agree that Lana sharing her insight is her way of doing that; zeroing in on her experiences and turning all the way inward is her contribution to the world - clearly we all resonate with it so much to the point that we’re on this site and I know we all come from so many different backgrounds. It’s crazy that we’re united by that. And to that I know a lot of people will think I’m just incredibly biased for crediting Lana that much - but the proof is in interactions like these, where we can place Lana’s work within the context of a broader world. Chemtrails is only going to solidify her being of that caliber!

The album Instagram caption, and her general mindset for this album feels very what the whole Lust For Life album trailer did. Talking about how these uncertain times aren’t new, and every generation faces its own problems that we have to overcome 

imagine it

We’re getting a cohesive Lust For Life, so thought out she can even include Yosemite :defeated::defeated:

She’s giving us the gloom, and the music for us to overcome it 

"Don’t forget me"

2 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

We really are! And ugh, I love that so much, wow. The personal is the political, especially if you consciously take individual actions that are good-intentioned and of course are executed properly. I so agree that Lana sharing her insight is her way of doing that; zeroing in on her experiences and turning all the way inward is her contribution to the world - clearly we all resonate with it so much to the point that we’re on this site and I know we all come from so many different backgrounds. It’s crazy that we’re united by that. And to that I know a lot of people will think I’m just incredibly biased for crediting Lana that much - but the proof is in interactions like these, where we can place Lana’s work within the context of a broader world. Chemtrails is only going to solidify her being of that caliber!

I..can't even add to this. Such insight. Especially in your mention of individual actions being well intentioned (now in the class this was directly applied to the German population that stood by during the holocaust, a multifaceted argument full of grey circumstances in its own right) but I do believe alot of Lana's hurt has come from people who didn't set out to be villains,and that's why we relate so much (dear God let no one interpret this as me comparing a woman's personal plight to the suffering of millions of innocent souls, cus that's not what I mean!!)

As we all grow older with her, the scorn of the moment has turned to the bittersweet nostalgia of yesterday. A chance not to look at your past with rose colored glasses, but a reverence of understanding and longing-maybe to do it right in your head, maybe just to say goodbye to it, but regardless- she is one of the best at taking a moment, and holding it in a light that transcends each form of time, past, present, and future. To serenade something not yet broken, yet shattered ages ago. This is why we love her.

Just now, lifeisavelvetcrowbar said:

So are we thinking the video is directed by John Waters? It would be a dream come true if it does end up being Lynch, but the style doesn’t really seem Lynch like to me. I’ll riot if it’s not one of them or at least some other A-list auteur director  after she posted that clip name dropping them.

I’m pretty sure it’s directed by Clark Jackson, (@/constellationjones), who also directed the LFL trailer, the Summertime the Gershwin Version video, and filmed Lana singing LMLYLAW for Jack’s Ally Coalition show. She tagged him in the first pictures she posted for White Dress on February 6th! :) 

6 minutes ago, HighbytheSea said:

I..can't even add to this. Such insight. Especially in your mention of individual actions being well intentioned (now in the class this was directly applied to the German population that stood by during the holocaust, a multifaceted argument full of grey circumstances in its own right) but I do believe alot of Lana's hurt has come from people who didn't set out to be villains,and that's why we relate so much (dear God let no one interpret this as me comparing a woman's personal plight to the suffering of millions of innocent souls, cus that's not what I mean!!)

As we all grow older with her, the scorn of the moment has turned to the bittersweet nostalgia of yesterday. A chance not to look at your past with rose colored glasses, but a reverence of understanding and longing-maybe to do it right in your head, maybe just to say goodbye to it, but regardless- she is one of the best at taking a moment, and holding it in a light that transcends each form of time, past, present, and future. To serenade something not yet broken, yet shattered ages ago. This is why we love her.

I absolutely love this and your insight! The second paragraph in particular is beautiful. The parts I’ve bolded here are what I think White Dress will capture perfectly. And it’s particularly telling that it’s the first track on the album because it immediately reintroduces us to what Lana does best but then allows her to expand on the future-oriented aspects of her writing that she’s said she’s exploring more with this record. So incredible - thank you so much for all this! <3

2 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I’m pretty sure it’s directed by Clark Jackson, (@/constellationjones), who also directed the LFL trailer, the Summertime the Gershwin Version video, and filmed Lana singing LMLYLAW for Jack’s Ally Coalition show. She tagged him in the first pictures she posted for White Dress on February 6th! :) 

Well he has done good work for Lana in the past so I can’t say that I’m disappointed they are working together again, but why would Lana post a 10+ year old video of herself talking about how she wants to work with John Waters or David Lynch if she wasn’t in fact working with one of them? Maybe there is some chance one of them will be the co-director or something? If she posted that video for literally no reason, that is just teasing us, so I hope one of them can be involved in some way. I always felt the Honeymoon video felt very Lynchian and dreamlike.

3 minutes ago, lifeisavelvetcrowbar said:

Well he has done good work for Lana in the past so I can’t say that I’m disappointed they are working together again, but why would Lana post a 10+ year old video of herself talking about how she wants to work with John Waters or David Lynch if she wasn’t in fact working with one of them? Maybe there is some chance one of them will be the co-director or something? If she posted that video for literally no reason, that is just teasing us, so I hope one of them can be involved in some way. I always felt the Honeymoon video felt very Lynchian and dreamlike.

I feel the same way about the Honeymoon video! And I think she included that little clip from the 2008 Index Mag interview because it’s from the time she’s singing about in White Dress, so for symbolic/sentimental reasons! Plus, in the video teaser, we can see that the roller-blading actress has a similar hairstyle to Lana in that 2008 clip, and we can see a trailer park, with a trailer park being where the 2008 interview took place!

12 minutes ago, lifeisavelvetcrowbar said:

9 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I feel the same way about the Honeymoon video! And I think she included that little clip from the 2008 Index Mag interview because it’s from the time she’s singing about in White Dress, so for symbolic/sentimental reasons! Plus, in the video teaser, we can see that the roller-blading actress has a similar hairstyle to Lana in that 2008 clip, and we can see a trailer park, with a trailer park being where the 2008 interview took place!

apart from the reasons already discussed this era is very inspired by david lynch. not only does it deal with some of the themes he does (specially the paranoia that lies behind the friendly façade of american suburbia) as she's showcasing highways and getting inspired by the wizard of oz just like he did in his movie wild at heart, which is literally the title for one of the tracks involved. this same trend of extrapolating americana can be found on john waters' work, so it's safe to say the project is still informed by both of these directors even if they're not directly involved.

45 minutes ago, Nikogo said:

She’s said before she thinks White Dress is “really really good” for Anne Mac, I wonder why she changed her mind and suddenly felt it was rough to listen to for Mojo..

It’s actually reversed, I think! Mojo said in the article they interviewed her right around Christmas and she did the Annie Mac interview in early Jan :) so it sounds like it’s grown on her! 

39 minutes ago, lifeisavelvetcrowbar said:

So are we thinking the video is directed by John Waters? It would be a dream come true if it does end up being Lynch, but the style doesn’t really seem Lynch like to me. I’ll riot if it’s not one of them or at least some other A-list auteur director  after she posted that clip name dropping them.

oh def not but i would DIE if JW directed a vid for her...hadn't even considered that

aOaIzH2.gif