Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

5 minutes ago, uvbabe said:

What if she's not releasing White Dress this friday anymore because she knows it leaked and hate us all for listening :bebe:

well she better drop this caucasian gown this friday or else i'm listening to the leak again, can't hold on any longer, i'm craving some COCC :candy:

OKAY PARADIXO'S OFFICIAL RANKING :hype:

Spoiler

1. White Dress - 10
Favorite thing: Everything. This track is basically one of her best works ever. Everything is in equal level -- lyrics, melody, production, instrumentation, vocals, emotions, etc. Reminds me a bit of Sigur Rós.

2. Tulsa Jesus Freak - 10

Favorite thing: Lyrics & intensity. I knew this was going to be one of my favorites but I did not expect it to be this good? Oh my god. I love how strong it is, I think its length is perfect and it has a lot of attitude.

3. Yosemite - 10

Favorite thing: Melody & atmosphere. I wasn't part of the Yosemite Cult but they definitely won! It's so good. It's the most somber and haunting part of the album. The sonic landscape of this song completely encapsulates the grandness, timelessness and creepy steadiness of a place such as a National Park.

4. Chemtrails over the Country Club - 10

Favorite thing: Melody & lyrics. This has to be one of the simplest yet catchiest Lana melodies ever. The chorus has been stuck in my head since its release, and her delivery (especially when she sings higher) is very emotional. 

5. For Free - 10

Favorite thing: Music & vocals. This is such a lovely closer and absolutely fits the narrative and message of the album. I think their verses were perfectly distributed and the instrumentation is just insane.

6. Wild at Heart - 9

Favorite thing: Lyrics. I don't like the How to disappear sampling, but the song is so good I forget about it somehow. The lyrics are fun, casual and honest, I really like them, and the melody is strong.

7. Dance Till We Die - 8

Favorite thing: Music & instrumentation. I knew it was going to be beautiful!

8. Let Me Love You Like a Woman - 8

Favorite thing: Melody. Undoubtedly her weakest lead single, but still a toching, soulful track. The melody is beautiful and so is the intention. Not a huge fan of the intro. Love the outro.

9. Not All Who Wander Are Lost - 8

Favorite thing: Lyrics. Even if I thought I'd like it more, it's gorgeous. My only problem with it is the bridge -- weak in all senses, vocally, melodically and lyrically. Plus the chorus is a step backward compared to the rest! But I guess it's very casual and made to sing-along in the middle of a road trip.

10. Breaking Up Slowly - 7

Favorite thing: Production. Lol the amount of hate this song has received ever since we knew about it! Somehow it made it into the lower side of my list but I do like it. I love how the production and instruments follow the melody, it makes it somber and kind of dark. Nice track!

11. Dark But Just a Game - 2

Favorite thing: nothing. I haven't disliked a track of hers so much since In My Feelings... This song is a misstep in every way I can think of -- The lyrics are so hollow and pretentious; she has multiple songs about this very same topic that are so much better! I think when it comes to existentialism and writing about chaos, there's a very thin line between thoughtful and pretentious, and this song, in my opinion, crosses that line. It's very short-minded. The production is totally demo-like, the beat is super basic and oh god not the paper-through-the-mic quality again. Damn.

Overall so far: 83/100 :gclap: 

4 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

Hide contents

1. White Dress - 10
Favorite thing: Everything. This track is basically one of her best works ever. Everything is in equal level -- lyrics, melody, production, instrumentation, vocals, emotions, etc. Reminds me a bit of Sigur Rós.

Favorite thing: Lyrics & intensity. I knew this was going to be one of my favorites but I did not expect it to be this good? Oh my god. I love how strong it is, I think its length is perfect and it has a lot of attitude.

3. Yosemite - 10

Favorite thing: Melody & atmosphere. I wasn't part of the Yosemite Cult but they definitely won! It's so good. It's the most somber and haunting part of the album. The sonic landscape of this song completely encapsulates the grandness, timelessness and creepy steadiness of a place such as a National Park.

Favorite thing: Melody & lyrics. This has to be one of the simplest yet catchiest Lana melodies ever. The chorus has been stuck in my head since its release, and her delivery (especially when she sings higher) is very emotional. 

5. For Free - 10

Favorite thing: Music & vocals. This is such a lovely closer and absolutely fits the narrative and message of the album. I think their verses were perfectly distributed and the instrumentation is just insane.

6. Wild at Heart - 9

Favorite thing: Lyrics. I don't like the How to disappear sampling, but the song is so good I forget about it somehow. The lyrics are fun, casual and honest, I really like them, and the melody is strong.

7. Dance Till We Die - 8

Favorite thing: Melody. Undoubtedly her weakest lead single, but still a toching, soulful track. The melody is beautiful and so is the intention. Not a huge fan of the intro. Love the outro.

Favorite thing: Lyrics. Even if I thought I'd like it more, it's gorgeous. My only problem with it is the bridge -- weak in all senses, vocally, melodically and lyrically. Plus the chorus is a step backward compared to the rest! But I guess it's very casual and made to sing-along in the middle of a road trip.

Favorite thing: Production. Lol the amount of hate this song has received ever since we knew about it! Somehow it made it into the lower side of my list but I do like it. I love how the production and instruments follow the melody, it makes it somber and kind of dark. Nice track!

Favorite thing: nothing. I haven't disliked a track of hers so much since In My Feelings... This song is a misstep in every way I can think of -- The lyrics are so hollow and pretentious; she has multiple songs about this very same topic that are so much better! I think when it comes to existentialism and writing about chaos, there's a very thin line between thoughtful and pretentious, and this song, in my opinion, crosses that line. It's very short-minded. The production is totally demo-like, the beat is super basic and oh god not the paper-through-the-mic quality again. Damn.

Spoiler

THE DBJAG SLANDER !!!! it’s my favorite :crying5:

8 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

Hide contents

1. White Dress - 10

3. Yosemite - 10

5. For Free - 10

6. Wild at Heart - 9

7. Dance Till We Die - 8

Hm well that certainly is a ranking ?

3 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:
  Hide contents

THE DBJAG SLANDER !!!! it’s my favorite :crying5:

Spoiler

What do you like about it exactly? 

1 minute ago, LanaBoi said:

Can we have a seperate thread for people to hate on Jack? 

That should go to Random Lana Discussion. If they're objectively discussing Jack's work on Chemtrails, then it belongs to this very thread.

1 hour ago, HunterSThompson said:
  Hide contents

Unpopular NFR/COCC Lana opinion but like I would be happy if Lana stuck to this singer/songwriter soundscape forever :creep: (Some of) her earlier work is aging poorly, especially stacked up against her current material. The only reason BTD is iconic is because it really launched Lana into the public eye, and it was interesting for its time (which isn't to say these songs are bad!). Songs like Venice Bitch, White Dress and Norman fucking Rockwell are timeless because they don't try to follow any sort of popular production trends (like her awkwardly trying to incorporate hip hop/trap/rap production and themes), and instead focus on Lana's voice, lyrics and just a few well played instruments. I feel like everyone is wishing for a time that has really passed. I really don't think we will be getting anything like BTD or Paradise soon, and it certainly isn't Jack's fault lol :eartha: 

Don't rip me to shreds, I don't mean to offend or anything! Just my feelings/opinion 

This post made me cringe a bit. Saying her early work is aging poorly is factually wrong. I understand what you mean about some of the BTD songs but Paradise is literally timeless with the elements of classic rock it carries and her second album Ultraviolence will age way better than any of the albums that followed. 

4 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

Reveal hidden contents

What do you like about it exactly? 

Spoiler

DBJAG is the best song on the record imo. I disagree about the lyrics, the production is amazing, and it's so catchy. Also the lizzy vocals on "making out in the parking lot" really perfectly exemplify the theme of the record of going back to a simpler time of her days pre-fame

1 minute ago, honeybadger said:

contemplating whether or not she used paper on some songs on this album :air:

Spoiler

I think she did for DBJAG and that's the only thing I dislike about it.

Edit: I am listening to it right now and I think the most annoying thing is that it only sounds like that in the verses...

Did anyone realize...

Spoiler

We already know Wild at Heart has some identical parts to HTD and in both songs she mentions Joe??? (or so I heard, Genius lyrics can’t confirm yet)

HTD: Joe met me down at the training yard

WAH: You're killing me, Joe / And all the thoughts brought us apart

Spoiler

i like yosemite but i dunno it feels like a long ass interlude to me, it's quite plain and i think it doesn't need to be 5 mins 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

6 minutes ago, uvbabe said:

Hide contents

I think she did for DBJAG and that's the only thing I dislike about it.

Edit: I am listening to it right now and I think the most annoying thing is that it only sounds like that in the verses...

Spoiler

RIGHT i was just thinking that..... i don't hate the paper BUT the verses are very papery and the chorus really is not... i think that's the only thing i dislike too.... it really kinda bothers me fjkgsandjfd but i'm just going to ignore it and pretend it isn't there and i love the track nonetheless.... jack's fault i declare :oprah3:

also side note about DBJAG:

Spoiler

the chorus especially the ending chords kinda reminds me of the greatest (which is an interesting connection btwn those tracks)
and when she goes "yeahhh yeahh" after "we'll both go down in infamy" it kind of reminds me of grimes :air: miss anthropocene vibes

sUcVobB.png

All I have to say is that her singing Scarborough Fair makes much more sense now. FolkLana stans have won at last :beyonce:

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

Just now, conceptart47 said:
  Hide contents

Did Salvatore ever give us his thoughts on Yosemite? Admittedly I haven’t been opening every spoiler and I’ve been skipping pages cause I got tired of running through 47 pages of the same spoiler format. Hook a sis up :um3:

Spoiler

he said he was typing his thoughts like 8 hours ago

there is a 50/50 chance that he is still writing in my opinion :trisha:

20 minutes ago, The Greatest said:
  Hide contents

DBJAG is the best song on the record imo. I disagree about the lyrics, the production is amazing, and it's so catchy. Also the lizzy vocals on "making out in the parking lot" really perfectly exemplify the theme of the record of going back to a simpler time of her days pre-fame

Spoiler

I agree that vocal in “making out in the parking lot” it’s such a throwback!!

i adore the chorus melody and lyrics. It’s such a different kind of melody for her.

i also love the “evil”-ish piano breakdown after the first chorus.

19 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

Did anyone realize...

Hide contents

We already know Wild at Heart has some identical parts to HTD and in both songs she mentions Joe??? (or so I heard, Genius lyrics can’t confirm yet)

HTD: Joe met me down at the training yard

WAH: You're killing me, Joe / And all the thoughts brought us apart

Spoiler

The chorus of Wild at Heart is the melody of HiaDTfaWLMtHbIHI’s chorus

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

Spoiler

dark but just a game's chorus reminds me of a theme song of a grunge 90s sitcom :trisha:

Just now, conceptart47 said:

Hide contents

LMAO :eartha: 

Pretty sure he’s still in the process of ascending 

B1-C7-F321-BC51-45-A0-8-C97-54-DFE97-B75

Spoiler

he is most likely on a higher plane of being at this moment and can no longer communicate with lanaboards because he has become one with the trees and wind and canyons of yosemite...