Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

3 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:
  Reveal hidden contents

wait which is the song that references "garden party," didn't the mojo article say one of the songs did this?

Spoiler

dark but just a game

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

2 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:
  Hide contents

obviously lana has a big say in how the song will sound (which isn’t necessarily always for the best either cough cough) and her choices are questionable at times :icant:

for the chords part it obviously is, let’s not pretend he didn’t reuse the same instrumental twice, then used said instrumental but a bit differently for ANOTHER song on the same album :awkney:

Okay, but he's still a talented musician :awkney: There are over 40 different chords on NFR! album alone

Spoiler

for fun i've kind of been wondering which songs of cocc sound most like another album. obviously, her albums are generally unique BUT sometimes she drops a gem that sounds reminscent of another project.

i wouldn't say anything sounds remotely like born to die, but i will say I could see DBJAG fitting in with the ultraviolence vibe (both in sound and content)

NAWWAL could fit with the honeymoon stuff, though it might be a stretch. definitely connects to the themes of travel/wanderlust/escape that weigh so heavily on that album.

obviously yosemite is a dead ringer for Lust for Life, since it was supposed to be there. And even TJF has more of the echo-y dreamy vibe that L4L had.

and everything else just sounds like norman to me :hoe:

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

5 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

Okay, but he's still a talented musician :awkney: There are over 40 different chords on NFR! album alone

i know he is i’m just joking, just saying they made two very great albums together, now it’s time for sumn different :dance:

and when i say sumn different i mean honeymoon 2.0: double syrup :sass:

Spoiler

So how did she end up being besteas with Courtney ???? She says she almost burnt down her home omg manic lady. ???

Also Clementine..and there are clementines on Violets cover...

Does she really have a secret kid or did she adopt? (HTD also references a kid in her yard.)... and Cherry blossom...

This album has so much personality loves it

10 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:
  Hide contents

So how did she end up being besteas with Courtney ???? She says she almost burnt down her home omg manic lady. ???

Also Clementine..and there are clementines on Violets cover...

Does she really have a secret kid or did she adopt? (HTD also references a kid in her yard.)... and Cherry blossom...

Spoiler

This has been a wild rumour for a while now but I’m not sure I think she might just be imagining her future daughter 

Edited by Elle
spoiler tag added x

i like your ultra-violent swing :grinds:

I really didn't like it last night and then today it started to make sense in the most beautiful way - like how sometimes you look in hindsight at your life and at the time found things unusual, challenging or even banal, but then realised how much you were living.

The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.

19 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

i think that’s the whole problem, i always thought that jack either has his own (kinda bad) style of mixing a song or he just completely sucks at it (more likely). him only knowing how to play 3 different chords on piano and guitar aside, you could take any jack produced lana song’s instruments, mix and compose them differently and most of his "less good" productions would sound AMAZING. she should’ve just gotten someone else to mix and master the final jack songs and i’m sure most of our critics towards him would’ve never come up since one of the things people hate the most about him is the way he unnecessarily muffles songs at one time and then makes them super loud for no reason at another .... anyways can’t wait for whatever the next producer has in store for us :raven:

I’ve actually been doing some at-home music production and I have a few Thoughts to Share:

- Lana often vocally dictates just a melody onto her voice memos—I do this and often end up with the same several chords that are in my natural range. With that said...

- I think the same chords are more noticeable when used on the piano, as in NFR & Chem, as opposed to strings (i.e. Nowels songs used a lot of the same ones too, but many people don’t notice)

- I agree I wasn’t a huge fan of the close similarities between Wild at Heart and the Greatest/HTD on back-to-back albums, but this isn’t copy and pasting or sampling the old songs—Jack has a library of general music samples to build a song. So his arrangement of horn samples are used in both “Love Song” and Taylor Swift’s “the lakes,” etc. So it’s not like they copy + pasted HTD, only added the bells and same piano style sample and it ended up sounding the same—non-die-hards probably wouldn’t notice, but yeah

3 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Dance Till We Die is so bad to me :derpna2:

Spoiler

Please use spoilers

40 minutes ago, pinkfloyd said:
  Hide contents

why are people still shitting on BUS? i really think its amazing and their voices combined are heavenly. i dont get it. i thought at most the studio version wouldve changed yalls mind. lana wanted this album to be mature and i think BUS is probably one of the most mature-sounding songs on the record. one of my favourites as well.

Spoiler

This is so ironic because ever since I first heard it, I thought it sounded quite immature and amateur. Like something a 20 year old would write. The rhymes are basic, the melody is simple, and sonically it doesn't offer very much. That being said, I think it's fine. Could it have been left off? Yes, for sure. But it's cute!

Spoiler

I can't be the only one who thinks this album is very 90s? 

Btw I'm listening to it again since last night; I wasn't home today. Will post some thoughts later!

7 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

I’ve actually been doing some at-home music production and I have a few Thoughts to Share:

- Lana often vocally dictates just a melody onto her voice memos—I do this and often end up with the same several chords that are in my natural range. With that said...

- I think the same chords are more noticeable when used on the piano, as in NFR & Chem, as opposed to strings (i.e. Nowels songs used a lot of the same ones too, but many people don’t notice)

- I agree I wasn’t a huge fan of the close similarities between Wild at Heart and the Greatest/HTD on back-to-back albums, but this isn’t copy and pasting or sampling the old songs—Jack has a library of general music samples to build a song. So his arrangement of horn samples are used in both “Love Song” and Taylor Swift’s “the lakes,” etc. So it’s not like they copy + pasted HTD, only added the bells and same piano style sample and it ended up sounding the same—non-die-hards probably wouldn’t notice, but yeah

Spoiler

They're even in the same key :rip: I believe it was definitely intentional but not in a "this song will be a continuation of HTD" kind of way - she probably just really liked the bridge section and wanted to make a full song out it

1 minute ago, White Dress said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They're even in the same key :rip: I believe it was definitely intentional but not in a "this song will be a continuation of HTD" kind of way - she probably just really liked the bridge section and wanted to make a full song out it

Spoiler

I agree with this. It's the only thing that keeps me from giving it a 10/10 -- the How to disappear sampling sounds so random and uninventive.

Spoiler

Unpopular NFR/COCC Lana opinion but like I would be happy if Lana stuck to this singer/songwriter soundscape forever :creep: (Some of) her earlier work is aging poorly, especially stacked up against her current material. The only reason BTD is iconic is because it really launched Lana into the public eye, and it was interesting for its time (which isn't to say these songs are bad!). Songs like Venice Bitch, White Dress and Norman fucking Rockwell are timeless because they don't try to follow any sort of popular production trends (like her awkwardly trying to incorporate hip hop/trap/rap production and themes), and instead focus on Lana's voice, lyrics and just a few well played instruments. I feel like everyone is wishing for a time that has really passed. I really don't think we will be getting anything like BTD or Paradise soon, and it certainly isn't Jack's fault lol :eartha: 

Don't rip me to shreds, I don't mean to offend or anything! Just my feelings/opinion 

1 minute ago, HunterSThompson said:
  Hide contents

Unpopular NFR/COCC Lana opinion but like I would be happy if Lana stuck to this singer/songwriter soundscape forever :creep: (Some of) her earlier work is aging poorly, especially stacked up against her current material. The only reason BTD is iconic is because it really launched Lana into the public eye, and it was interesting for its time (which isn't to say these songs are bad!). Songs like Venice Bitch, White Dress and Norman fucking Rockwell are timeless because they don't try to follow any sort of production trends (like her awkwardly trying to incorporate hip hop/trap/rap production and themes), and instead focus on Lana's voice, lyrics and just a few well played instruments. I feel like everyone is wishing for a time that has really passed. I really don't think we will be getting anything like BTD or Paradise soon, and it certainly isn't Jack's fault lol :eartha: 

Don't rip me to shreds, I don't mean to offend or anything! Just my feelings/opinion 

Spoiler

I do agree these songs feel timeless; I think it's a matter of authenticity and also production details. She didn't try to follow any trend with Born to Die; that album was a trend-setter and forever iconic. I for once enjoy it a lot -- the textures, the melodies, the heavy aesthetic... it's really good. What's making some of the songs age "poorly" is simply because the sound was so multiplicated by so many different artists and producers it's gotten a bit old, but I think only the poorly-produced tracks (Dark Paradise, Carmen, Radio, Million Dollar Man, Lolita, Lucky Ones) are suffering from this. The singles are some of her best work ever and remain timeless in my ears, especially because the melodies are golden.

For instance, dance music, like any other genre, can age very quickly if done poorly. But when a great melody-maker and a talented, organic producer work together, a timeless project is born, like Madonna's Confessions on a Dancefloor. It's older than some of the most successful dance-pop albums of the last 10 years and it's still more fresh than those.

the way i'm figuring out the chords to YOSEMITE giphy.gif life is unreal

Spoiler

i'm feeling FUN and FREE for all the right reasons. yosemite seriously reminds me of sirens in terms of the guitar and i NEEDED to find the chord progression so i could compare.

if anyone has a list of sirens chords i'd deeply appreciate it because i'm too tired to listen to all the songs and figure out the chords by ear. my ears are tired... but i'm loving the similarities with the Am and G chords and the gentle strumming. really gives me sirens, early lana playing the guitar, LOVE love LOVE LVLOV ELOVE 

Am G F (likely A&B top notes based on the guitar strumming, i'm literally figuring this out on a random desktop app and it's impossible to manipulate the chords) G x 3ish

C G Am F

C G Am x 2

sUcVobB.png

9 minutes ago, White Dress said:
  Hide contents

This is so ironic because ever since I first heard it, I thought it sounded quite immature and amateur. Like something a 20 year old would write. The rhymes are basic, the melody is simple, and sonically it doesn't offer very much. That being said, I think it's fine. Could it have been left off? Yes, for sure. But it's cute!

Spoiler

to me, it feels really 90s with the rhyming though. its simplistic and tbh reminds me of hallucinogenics. although i was mainly speaking on their voices, like nikki's and lanas together. i think the production is good as well, it feels really dreamy to me. kinda like a song youd write with a friend by a bonfire

yeah.jpg