TrailerParkDarling

Sky Ferreira

34 minutes ago, This Feeling said:

I don’t care for pre-Ghost recordings like As If and all those pop numbers she did, but maybe give them a listen if that’s your cup of tea :) 

not too much on 99 Tears!! a hits a hit even if she was being held hostage to sing it :P

53 minutes ago, Neon Mausoleum said:

I never really got into Sky. I don't know much about her and I have only listened to Everything is Embarrassing. What are her top 5 songs?

my personal faves are 24 hours, lost in my bedroom, ghost, aint your right, and youre not the one. but you can listen to all of her music in like an hour or two if you have some time.

27 minutes ago, Masquerade said:

the Descending "original file" posted today is incredibly superior to the "goodq" posted yesterday. can she please get this one mixed and mastered?

Where are those getting posted originally?

lol, wrote an essay expanding on some of my points from yesterday. i feel like i have to put this disclaimer before every criticism i make of sky because again, i’m not trying to attack her or be hateful, i just think there’s a lot she can do and is choosing not to. wanted to go into detail about some options available to her that capitol at least has no reason to block, and that they have been proven not to be blocking in the past.

as i mentioned previously, yes it sucks that sky is on a major label and they don’t promote her—but thinking of it from a business and industry perspective—why should they? why should they dish out that money for an artist of sky’s size who hasn’t released an album in a decade, even if it is, arguably, ultimately capitol’s own fault? just as new artists have to prove themselves independently to get signed to labels, at this point in sky’s career, she is going to need to prove herself again in order to show the label that she is worth investing more time and cash in. it’s unfortunate, but the music industry has always been fucked up, it’s always been sacrificial.

sky complaining about having to make promotional banners for herself, having to promote her own music all by herself, etc, just rubs me the wrong way because millions of independent artists do the same thing, with 10x less resources and connections, and they can still get music videos to come out. yes it’s hard work, yes that stuff shouldn’t be on sky’s own table while being signed to a major, but if you want the music to come out, you put in that work despite the unfortunate circumstances. there’s more she can do.

capitol wasn’t blocking the Downhill Lullaby or Don’t Forget music videos from being released. the Don’t Forget music video was filmed, it was edited—and then she fired the editor. and now she is being cryptic about it in her comments. that’s one, or two, things she could’ve done.

touring is very expensive, and especially if sky has been funding the album sessions herself and traveling around the world to play those festivals, it’s completely understandable for a headline tour to not be possible if she’s funding that all by herself too. but what is feasible for her is booking just a few headline shows, say LA, New York, and Chicago. that’s another promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

5 (FIVE!!) years ago, sky got her soundcloud account back. she proved that she can upload what she pleases to it when she posted Voices Carry. why hasn’t it been used since then? if she wants to release music, that sounds like a perfect opportunity to release some Masochism demos, or if she doesn’t want to share music that’s on the album, she can post some already scrapped tracks like Legends, The Woods, or I Pray for Rain, herself, instead of those songs leaking out of nowhere. this is another promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

remember that podcast she talked about a long time ago? that barely even has anything to do with music, there’s no way the label would have any say in a podcast. she has industry friends, i’m sure both fans of her and fans of other artists would love it if she started a podcast. she could bring on some of her musician contemporaries and friends like Charli XCX, Ethel Cain, Caroline Polachek, etc, and talk about their creative processes with each other. this is another extremely beneficial promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

as a fan, it’s really bothered me how every single interview or profile published in recent years has only been about her label issues. one or two interviews giving us some insight on it would’ve been great and would’ve been enough. i want to hear about how the singles she’s released came to be, again what the creative process was like, the role of the songs in the album, how the songs tie into the Masochism multiverse. she can promote the music by actually talking about the music in the press. this is another promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

and after all these years, it was an absolute shock to me to learn that the album still isn’t fully written. there’s no reason for it not to be completely done, let alone not completely written, after 8 years of it apparently being finished enough and ready for release for capitol to block it.

like i talked about yesterday, i’ve reached this point where i just don’t care anymore. i can’t be angry at her anymore, i can’t be excited anymore, it is what it is. but this whole situation is just fascinating to me, it’s very interesting to look at and study critically from the outside. the music industry is full of sacrifices; sky’s circumstances are unfortunate, but there are a lot more options available to her than she is making it seem. even if she did all of the stuff i listed on this post and capitol still blocked her, surely there would be a lot more people behind the Free Sky Ferreira movement, and it would make a lot more noise, likely enough for the label to have to do something. 

I wasn't a fan during that time, but Sky used to post a lot of songs/demos for free on Myspace. She also leaked the full Dynamite State on SoundCloud in 2011, and those were just gifts for the fans.

It's really a shame she never used her SoundCloud again after Voices Carry like she said she would. And she's literally only released 2 official solo singles since 2013, like– would posting ancient pre-Masochism stuff or scrapped tracks from the album really hurt anybody? I'm sure so many people would love and appreciate if she did. 

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

1 hour ago, lilac heaven said:

lol, wrote an essay expanding on some of my points from yesterday. i feel like i have to put this disclaimer before every criticism i make of sky because again, i’m not trying to attack her or be hateful, i just think there’s a lot she can do and is choosing not to. wanted to go into detail about some options available to her that capitol at least has no reason to block, and that they have been proven not to be blocking in the past.

as i mentioned previously, yes it sucks that sky is on a major label and they don’t promote her—but thinking of it from a business and industry perspective—why should they? why should they dish out that money for an artist who hasn’t released an album in a decade, even if it is, arguably, ultimately capitol’s own fault? just as new artists have to prove themselves independently to get signed to labels, at this point in sky’s career, she is going to need to prove herself again in order to show the label that she is worth investing more time and cash in. it’s unfortunate, but the music industry has always been fucked up, it’s always been sacrificial.

sky complaining about having to make promotional banners for herself, having to promote her own music all by herself, etc, just rubs me the wrong way because millions of independent artists do the same thing, with 10x less resources and connections, and they can still get music videos to come out. yes it’s hard work, yes that stuff shouldn’t be on sky’s own table while being signed to a major, but if you want the music to come out, you put in that work despite the unfortunate circumstances. there’s more she can do.

capitol wasn’t blocking the Downhill Lullaby or Don’t Forget music videos from being released. the Don’t Forget music video was filmed, it was edited—and then she fired the editor. and now she is being cryptic about it in her comments. that’s one, or two, things she could’ve done.

touring is very expensive, and especially if sky has been funding the album sessions herself and traveling around the world to play those festivals, it’s completely understandable for a headline tour to not be possible if she’s funding that all by herself too. but what is feasible for her is booking just a few headline shows, say LA, New York, and Chicago. that’s another promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

5 (FIVE!!) years ago, sky got her soundcloud account back. she proved that she can upload what she pleases to it when she posted Voices Carry. why hasn’t it been used since then? if she wants to release music, that sounds like a perfect opportunity to release some Masochism demos, or if she doesn’t want to share music that’s on the album, she can post some already scrapped tracks like Legends, The Woods, or I Pray for Rain, herself, instead of those songs leaking out of nowhere. this is another promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

remember that podcast she talked about a long time ago? that barely even has anything to do with music, there’s no way the label would have any say in a podcast. she has industry friends, i’m sure both fans of her and fans of other artists would love it if she started a podcast. she could bring on some of her musician contemporaries and friends like Charli XCX, Ethel Cain, Caroline Polachek, etc, and talk about their creative processes with each other. this is another extremely beneficial promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

as a fan, it’s really bothered me how every single interview or profile published in recent years has only been about her label issues. one or two interviews giving us some insight on it would’ve been great and would’ve been enough. i want to hear about how the singles she’s released came to be, again what the creative process was like, the role of the songs in the album, how the songs tie into the Masochism multiverse. she can promote the music by actually talking about the music in the press. this is another promotional thing she can do, but is choosing not to. 

and after all these years, it was an absolute shock to me to learn that the album still isn’t fully written. there’s no reason for it not to be completely done, let alone not completely written, after 8 years of it apparently being finished enough and ready for release for capitol to block it.

like i talked about yesterday, i’ve reached this point where i just don’t care anymore. i can’t be angry at her anymore, i can’t be excited anymore, it is what it is. but this whole situation is just fascinating to me, it’s very interesting to look at and study critically from the outside. the music industry is full of sacrifices; sky’s circumstances are unfortunate, but there are a lot more options available to her than she is making it seem. even if she did all of the stuff i listed on this post and capitol still blocked her, surely there would be a lot more people behind the Free Sky Ferreira movement, and it would make a lot more noise, likely enough for the label to have to do something. 

This was a good read and it's all facts

Am I the only one who thinks that Sky has taken this much to create her album because she is very afraid of releasing a sophomore slump? 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

3 minutes ago, melodrama said:

Yes you're the only one sadly

Let's see what the girls have to say then :flutter:

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

2 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Sky has taken this much to create her album because she is very afraid of releasing a sophomore slump? 

i think this is reasonable and has definitely crossed her mind, hence even more of a culprit for her supposed perfectionism. but after all these years, unless she like goes viral or something lol (very unlikely), it’s a given that if Masochism ever comes out it won’t have the impact on any niche pocket of culture in the same way that NTMT did. it’s gonna be similar to Zella Day finally releasing her second album last year; the fans who have been around for a while are going to eat it up and that’s mostly gonna be it. if fear of a sophomore slump has been holding her back at all, realistically it’s something she just internally has to work on getting over after all this time

6 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

It's not only sophomoro slump but her nature as well of being """self-concious and perfectionist""". I feel pretty surprised she never mentioned any sort of change during the last 8 years, because we know how NTMT went through different encarnations before setting for the "grungier" sound. Every title basically showed up a different type of vibe.

I'm also sure she's aware of the "hype" of being on "most antecipated albums" like... every year.

Just now, COLLXTION said:

Is All My Lovers Die even circulating? 

also what tracklist is everyone using for the leaked and released songs?

1. The Woods

thats my tracklist thank you everyone for listening to me. 

2 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

i think this is reasonable and has definitely crossed her mind, hence even more of a culprit for her supposed perfectionism. but after all these years, unless she like goes viral or something lol (very unlikely), it’s a given that if Masochism ever comes out it won’t have the impact on any niche pocket of culture in the same way that NTMT did. it’s gonna be similar to Zella Day finally releasing her second album last year; the fans who have been around for a while are going to eat it up and that’s mostly gonna be it. if fear of a sophomore slump has been holding her back at all, realistically it’s something she just internally has to work on getting over after all this time

2 minutes ago, DinahLee said:

It's not only sophomoro slump but her nature as well of being """self-concious and perfectionist""". I feel pretty surprised she never mentioned any sort of change during the last 8 years, because we know how NTMT went through different encarnations before setting for the "grungier" sound. Every title basically showed up a different type of vibe.

I'm also sure she's aware of the "hype" of being on "most antecipated albums" like... every year.

I agree with you guys, it must be very scary for her to have all the hype year after year and then to have people (mostly critics) saying something like "10 years in the making and wasn't worth the hype". 

I'm pretty sure once it gets the whole thing released (maybe next year lol) I will like it a lot, but all these leaks have my expectations set on mid, because most songs have been pretty mid, but oh well, they are just demos. 

Imo even though these songs are just demos they are on another level in comparison with NTMT but thats just me. It feels like an upgrade. Since they are demos the vocals maybe are not on point, instrumentals not polished enough but even then its already a huge step from NTMT

:diva: