Mommy's Mercedes

Questions for Lana - what would you ask?

I'd ask her where Ultraviolence is at? How will it be different than BTD? 

How she sees herself in the music biz?

If she ever listens music by her peers not just for personal enjoyment but moreso to learn?

How pissed she was at Rick Nowels for making it so easy for rabid fans to leak her unreleased material?

If she loves Lady Gaga. Like srsly gurl, do ya?  :hooker:

- What it felt like singing in the places she's been singing about all these years, like Charteau Marmont, Paris, L.A. Was it a dream come true or was it different in real life?

- In the same vein, how she felt about meeting Axl Rose and if Bel Air really is a tribute to him

- Her thoughts on the law of attraction, life after death and extraterrestrial life.

- Who in the music business she would like to collaborate with (And by some manipulative tactics get her to say Damon Albarn)

- Ask her about some of my favourite songs, like the writing process and if she even likes them now.

- ULTRAVIOLENCE

Obviously I'd ask her who K is. More generally I'd ask about her past, "all the trouble [she's] been in" that we "wouldn't believe", how much of her lyrics are autobiographical, especially the seedier and more sordid ones.

I'd ask her why she lies about her age and whether that was her idea or Ben's. I'd ask similar questions about the decision to suppress her earlier work.

I'd also ask her about some of the things in my "Unsolved Mysteries" thread and if she ever really lived in Alabama. Maybe some questions about unreleased songs, when she wrote them, who she worked with, and also about Rock Me Stable/Young Like Me & From the End. I'd probably also ask her some questions about the films she's been in.

For more questions other people would ask, there are two similar threads here and here.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Forever seething with jealousy at the interviewers who she casually plays a new song or a cappella demo for. I'd gear my questions heavily towards her new material rather than "so what about SNL/Summertime Sadness remix/etc"

Plus try to once and for all get some statements on early leaks, for instance how she feels about the internet having access to Sirens. The ultimate goal being able to guide the conversation towards, "Fans have recognized some motifs in your work, such as a prisoner boyfriend..." or the like.

Wonderful thread. I'll be overlapping with others, but it seems important that if one were actually asking LDR questions (and conceive of her actually answering) exact wording would be important. BTW, I think she'd walk from an interview with questions like these, but I don't think that automatically makes them bad questions. I attempted to thematically cluster questions. Anyway, this is stuff I wonder about.

1) What do you think of your leaks/unreleased? What proportion do you consider "throwaways" and what proportion album worthy? What are your ultimate plans for the leaks/unreleased? Do you think the leaks/unreleased ultimately help or hurt you and why?

2) What's the motivation for keeping AKA Lizzy Grant unreleased? What about Sirens? Why was there never a Princess-Superstar-produced EP? How important is meeting the expectations of a fanbase for releasing music? What weight does the record label have in making these decisions? 

3) Can you still sing as high as you did on Pretty Baby (on Sirens)? I chose that particular song, as it's debatable you got all the notes as intended (though maybe that was just the way you intended to sing it). How would you sound on that song now? Better or worse? Would you ever play guitar again as you sing? Are you getting better at guitar?

4)  Any collaborations with Barrie in the future? Does the label encourage or discourage this? Do you jam (guitarwise) with Barrie as much as you date (and other relationshipy things)? What's Barrie's opinion of your leaks/unrealsed both in terms of their quality and what you should do about them? 

5) What's wrong with the music industry? What's right with it? What do you see as your role in it?  300 years from now, what LIVING pop/rock/other stars do you think will be remembered? Same question but now consider the dead stars. 

6) You made the Saturday Night Live HD Vevo performances private (I'm assuming) but you did this only after surpassing any other SNL youtube performance in viewcounts at the time (I guess this is true, I think Lady Gaga was the record holder at the time). As at least as many people liked your SNL performances as not (I think the split was close to 60/40 in favor on the likes/dislikes), why did you do this? Do you have significant influence on what stays up or goes away on Youtube with respect to your leaks/unreleased presented there?

- I would like to know the concepts she visualized for songs that didn't get a video. With the song approaching completion and a very good sense for visuals, I think she must have had at least one or two ideas for all of her songs .. 

- What songs among her unreleased ones is she the most proud of. 

- Does she feel, with time, that she could change something to songs she already recorded ? 

- What motivates her decisions behind the choice of a cover (Blue Velvet, Summer Wine ..)

- Will she marry me ? 

I would also like to ask her some more private questions, some that might be a bit uncomfortable with her, but not with bad intentions, like : 

- what's her relationship with her dad, did he help her financially during her strive for success, did he "abandon" her or did he just say "make it on your own" but not necessarily with bad intentions. 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

1) If she lived in Pensacola, FL (I'm from there and it'd be cool if she's lived there at one time in her life. She sang about it in Aviation)?

2) If she would ever think of re-recording an old song or some leaked songs for the fans someday.

3) Does she ever wish she would have gone another way with Born To Die than she has (and maybe Ultraviolence)?

4) What she would be doing right now if her music career never made it, since she's in her late 20's.

5) Does she ever want to change her sound drastically or bit by bit?

tumblr_mmtpxe9hDJ1qjdybto5_500.jpg

I would want to know more about her troubled teenage years, boarding school, and decision to live part-time in a trailer park. The alcohol dependency and eventual sobriety stories are fascinating...although I do wonder about the pictures of her from 2009ish that appear to show her drinking at parties.