Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

It is a so gorgeous. The amount of pride I have for Marina for putting this song out... we've really watched her grow as a person over the last few years. This song is coming from the same person who wrote Numb and Teen Idle.... it's just really special. :brandy:

2dt29zc.jpg

Yes, finally. May I be subject of my own personal opinion?

You can feel it in every bit of this song. This isn't manipulated, or influenced by expectations of a record label or fans. Nor this is the creation of a persona like Electra in the whole album which was theatrical and astute. This is beautiful because it's raw.

I didn't feel froot, nor (almost) anything after the family jewels. Songs like Numb are the ones that got me attracted to Marina.

Yes, finally. May I be subject of my own personal opinion?

You can feel it in every bit of this song. This isn't manipulated, or influenced by expectations of a record label or fans. Nor this is the creation of a persona like Electra in the whole album which was theatrical and astute. This is beautiful because it's raw.

I didn't feel froot, nor (almost) anything after the family jewels. Songs like Numb are the ones that got me attracted to Marina.

Yes! This is also how I feel!

Happy is just really, really lovely. It's honest and raw and beautiful. So glad she's dialing it down from Electra Heart and going back to the basics ala Family Jewels now.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

:wipe:

Inspired to make a #positivity2k15 playlist with Happy and I Can Fly omg

Really good idea! I will probably make one with Happy on it.

ugh it's SOOO good. Like, this album could be a masterpiece. Like everyone had said, it's so raw. I can really feel how she feels. I think lyrically it seems even more honest and autobiographical than Obsessions and Numb. Teen Idle was decent... But definitely the worst of her piano ballads. It seems less genuine than the other lyrics she's written.

This song is really inspiring me in a time in my life I need it most. I haven't felt such an emotional connection to a song in a LONG time.  :icant:

Not what I was expecting at all! 

...in a good way!

I was hoping that it wasn't another Froot-esque song

It is the perfect song listen to while you're having a glass of wine and watching the snow fall.  :flutter:

She said each song on the album is a unique creation. None are within the same exact genre, Froot was 80's pop, Happy was a piano ballad, etc.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I want to love this song, but the spiritual undertone during the last part makes it so hard for me, even though I like the general lyrical direction of the first part and the overall sound.

There's no explicit mention of a god. Spiritual fulfillment =/= a diety.

I'm an atheist but I'm trying to be spiritual. Spirituality has a misleading name but really its just the other part of the puzzle.

Science tells us "how?", spirituality asks "why?"

I think the lyrics are vague because she's not trying to say she suddenly became religious and that's what made her happy, she's saying she finally feels fulfilled and that can happen to anyone for any number of reasons without believing in God.

Even if it is a religious song, it's not like bad Christian rock or anything so who cares? She's her own person and her songs don't have to speak to us 100% of the time

Oh my, funny how it's always the people who insist on their own opinions that make sharp comments about the opinions of others. Neither did I say she can't sing about what she wants to nor did I say that all the songs have to be relate-able/ all of her past ones were.

the song is great and sounds wonderful and raw but it's also very intimate and this makes me feel a bit uncomfortable when it comes to this kind of spiritual stuff.

There's no explicit mention of a god. Spiritual fulfillment =/= a diety.

I think the lyrics are vague because she's not trying to say she suddenly became religious and that's what made her happy, she's saying she finally feels fulfilled and that can happen to anyone for any number of reasons without believing in God.

You are right about this one, I guess my strong feelings on the first listening were a bit of misinterpretation

I just listened to Happy followed by Froot and???? Marina what were you thinking? This album is about to be real eclectic huh

yeah the transition is a bit weird

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Oh my, funny how it's always the people who insist on their own opinions that make sharp comments about the opinions of others. Neither did I say she can't sing about what she wants to nor did I say that all the songs have to be relate-able/ all of her past ones were.

Yes but my opinions are right

Marina is an atheist, I think Happy is more about finally releasing herself from depression (and probably sobriety from heavy drinking). As someone who shares the atheist perspective I can see it as Marina being happy after being in a relationship that ended maturely.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1