Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

This is 100% a matter of my own taste because I know of several other instances where this occurs and it works, but one thing that I find "off" about Superstar is that I just don't think the lyrics match the vibe of the song or her vocal delivery. She, and the song itself, sound so sad. I really kind of forget that the song is actually about being in a happy relationship. If the lyrics matched the emotion of the song or vice versa, I think I would be feeling it a lot more.

I loved Handmade Heaven so much, I am actually sad that she said the rest of the album won't be like it. It was so lush and cinematic, and just more polished than I've ever heard her. I am excited for Emotional Machine like, a lot actually. I'm not big on Baby or the You snippet, but there's still so much more to the album and some really interesting and promising titles. This does feel like a natural progression from Froot, which I feel like was a natural step from TFJ, so I get it. I think my tastes are diverging a bit from where she (and Lana) are going, but I will always be perched for their new music and try to be supportive and open-minded. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Everytime I play Superstar and the trap-lite-drums kicks in I just think it's  Karma from the other day when we were judging saying that Lana should take notes with Marina about how to release an album.

I really tried to get along with the song and I can tell you it grew a little but it's still... nothing special. And by this + Emotional Machine Live + Handmade Heaven you can already trace it down about the way the album will sound. + Baby is not really different from all the stuff we've heard so far.

I am having a little meltdown but it will be ok. In a perfect world she's lowkey living the popstar fantasy and showing us that LOVE songs are always bad and Fear will slay.

the POOR level of taste in this thread

:deadbanana:

then again it is lanaboards, so what you expect from some edgy try hard quirky we love vintage music kids.

:toofunny:

Lol I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. I'm a HUGE pop love, 90's-till today pop (early 2000's mainstream, trashy, alternative and etc) but Superstar is just bad. it's very boring, generic and doesn't have anything unique in it. It feels like she put those ugly trap beats just because it's concidered as 'in' & 'lit' although it's gonna age super fast, instead of making a dreamy timeless pop track like HH (which also kinda lack of somthing but I still love it). Slayyyter's songs are better than anything Marina released this year.

tumblr_plbqy2X0Hg1twenha_400.gif

Lol I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. I'm a HUGE pop love, 90's-till today pop (early 2000's mainstream, trashy, alternative and etc) but Superstar is just bad. it's very boring, generic and doesn't have anything unique in it. It feels like she put those ugly trap beats just because it's concidered as 'in' & 'lit' although it's gonna age super fast, instead of making a dreamy timeless pop track like HH (which also kinda lack of somthing but I still love it). Slayyyter's songs are better than anything Marina released this year.

i’m giving the same view of opinions that others are, including yourself. maybe you should think about that, hm?

People are moaning about how they don’t like generic pop when they have people like Beyoncé and Charli XCX for their profile pics like what.

how is charli generic? Lmao yes her pc inflected songs totally match with the trap and tropical pop sound of today

Handmade Heaven is already on my list of favourite Marina songs ever. The song is fucking delicious to listen :trisha: ... The production is magical and rich and I love how the vocals fit so good with it. Probably it's not one of her best written songs but I find the lyrics nice, not "basic or bland". Its music video is also gorgeous.

The whole song is a 9/10 to me and I'm glad she released it as the lead single.

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Wow this thread became toxic pretty fast.

I'm gonna be honest, I hated SS. The song is just not single material, period. However, is this gonna be her worst album just because of one song? No. Stop jumping to hasty conclusions.

Let's hope the other half of the album collection "Fear" has better singles/songs.

#amy lee from Oreomilkshake

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

People are moaning about how they don’t like generic pop when they have people like Beyoncé and Charli XCX for their profile pics like what.

she didn't record an electronic album at 16 between a rave and the other for yall to call her generic

she didn't record an electronic album at 16 between a rave and the other for yall to call her generic

...what’s that got to do with the fact she makes mainstream pop music? I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I love Charli, but she’s a pop singer

giphy.gif

...what’s that got to do with the fact she makes mainstream pop music? I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I love Charli, but she’s a pop singer

pop doesn't mean generic

charli has some generic tracks? yes

but i don't think she's a generic artist like taylor swift or katy perry lol

nothing she's done the past 5 years is as generic as anything i've seen marina doing this era. you can't compare hh/ss/baby to rnr/taxi/track 10/femmebot/etc...