Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

It would be okay if she had said it was a lighthearted pop album, but that's not the narrative she went for. She decided to brand it as being psychological, and all that bullshit about our emotions stemming from love and fear. She felt the need to brandish it, in the words of KP, as "purposeful pop" without having any...purpose to it. She shot herself in the foot by pretending there was more depth to it than there actually was.

She has an issue with making regular pop music and always tries to back it up with some pretentious outlook. With TFJ, she made it clear she was alternative and criticsed the pop machine. When she went Dr L*ke etc for EH, she spoke about how the commercial pop aspect was all sarcastic. Afterwards, it became "my label forced me". With Froot, she harped on and on about how she co-wrote with only one producer. There's nothing wrong with superficial pop music and M*rina needs to get the stick out her ass about it.

this tea... Marina really marketed this album as some deep introspective shit when it's the most shallow thing I've ever heard

Marina can't keep her story straight and at this point she has proved herself multiple times (she literally promised us two times in a row that she would release INHA...) but people are out here saying she's just having fun no she isn't, she always needs to have her music have some sort of higher scope beyond the simple music-making which I have been totally fine for the first 3 records cause they were good, but LF doesn't hold up and her fake, pretentious narrative neither 

L+F is a good pop album. It might not be good in comparison to what Marina's brand has been, but it's a solid effort, looking purely at it in a music sense. The meaning behind it certainly is a mess, but the album is full of bops, and some songs have special little meanings. Certainly not TFJ or EH level of meaning, but there is some there.

Also i didn't pay much attention to Believe In Love until i saw it live. Now I love it

Afterthought:

The "love" and "fear" thing, I feel like, works only for a few songs. BiL and STBS certainly fall under that fear emotion quite clearly, as does Superstar and HH fall into that love category, but the concept is still flawed.

negAbhB.png

LF on the other hand is polished as fuck, which is why some people even go as far as to say that it’s their favorite album

But melodically and lyrically it’s terrible

it's only terrible thematically and lyrically, but melody-wise it has some of her best songs: soft to be strong, karma, superstar

it's only terrible thematically and lyrically, but melody-wise it has some of her best songs: soft to be strong, karma, superstar

Superstar is melodically terrible, one of the first things you learn in music theory is that octaves are ugly and it’s basically all made up of of octaves

I like STBS but I wouldn’t say melodically it has some of her best songs, I can count more from all three of her previous (Obsessions, Numb, Mowgli’s Road. IANAR. and these are just off TFJ)

I personally don't visit Love + Fear that much these days, but a few thoughts:

1. Handmade Heaven alone is worth the whole album, at least for me.

2. Seeing her perform these songs live, I just got the vibe that she wrote these songs to herself and that the concepts in them are really important reminders to herself about how to think about life. It felt very personal watching her perform specifically the Love + Fear songs and that somehow made me at least better understand why she made an album like this, even if it didn't make me enjoy the songs more. So while I don't really listen to them, I support her making those songs because I think she made the music she needed for herself.

I'll wait until the next album before I decide if she's lost me or not in terms of a hardcore fan. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Does anyone have a GOOD master post, I need to revisit her unreleased

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

L&F hands down her worst and stopped listening to it after a couple weeks. Songs have aged like milk. Still a few of them are classics Handmade heaven, Emotional Machine and maybe To Be Human. The rest are forgettable. I really hope she come back with a far stronger album and maybe less commercial pop sound. She can do far better then this. I like a sound similar to fears and loathing and Valley of the Dolls

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I think someone here once said that we spend more time discussing L+F than Marina probably did to create it and... that's right on the head nnn.

It's a boring album with basic songs and well that's it. Take what you want and run with it. I listen to Karma\You\No More Suckers sometimes and grew  to appreciate Orange Trees a little so... alright I guess. At least she seems to be interested into doing another record so it's not a bittersweet feeling that this was also her last album or whatever and she'll probably come back with something else that's also good.

She released 3 great albuns and 1 meh album. Let's just pray this is the exception and not the upcoming rule.

Y'all gotta admit To Be Human is the biggest disappointment on this album. Those lyrics are just so cringeworthy, and yet it could've topped Savages and Immortal. Also, I feel like Handmade Heaven, EOTE and Believe In Love are the only songs that should be deemed decent. All the rest has some flaws, either too poppy, too shallow, or too boring.

original.gif

Y'all gotta admit To Be Human is the biggest disappointment on this album. Those lyrics are just so cringeworthy, and yet it could've topped Savages and Immortal. Also, I feel like Handmade Heaven, EOTE and Believe In Love are the only songs that should be deemed decent. All the rest has some flaws, either too poppy, too shallow, or too boring.

TBH is kind of my guilty pleasure

It’s so cringy that it actually sounds like a parody of itself? Like idk, Savagss is clumsy at best, TBH is kinda funny in how oblivious she is to it

Love + Fear is a good album. Y’all hate on it way too much. The only reason y’all don’t like it is that it’s her most different work & that’s it her most pop record. Except for a few tracks the lyrics are good! The production is good, & the videos are good. The weakest tracks are you, true, life is strange, emotional machine, & to be human (cringe). Yet, overall it’s a solid body of work that with some production & lyrical changes could really be a more solid body of work. If anything I’d say she should’ve made True acoustic. Swapped You for the demo version, same for karma. Added TNWWY & TAOLG. Although, in comparison to her past records it is the weakest. Has she kept the better tracks & worked on the lyrics it could’ve topped Electra Heart. It has done if her strongest songs like

Soft To Be Strong, Too Afraid, Handmade Heaven, End of the Earth, Enjoy Your Life, & Believe In Love. The album really isn’t that bad.

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

Love + Fear is a good album. Y’all hate on it way too much. The only reason y’all don’t like it is that it’s her most different work & that’s it her most pop record. Except for a few tracks the lyrics are good! The production is good, & the videos are good. The weakest tracks are you, true, life is strange, emotional machine, & to be human (cringe). Yet, overall it’s a solid body of work that with some production & lyrical changes could really be a more solid body of work. If anything I’d say she should’ve made True acoustic. Swapped You for the demo version, same for karma. Added TNWWY & TAOLG. Although, in comparison to her past records it is the weakest. Has she kept the better tracks & worked on the lyrics it could’ve topped Electra Heart. It has done if her strongest songs like

Soft To Be Strong, Too Afraid, Handmade Heaven, End of the Earth, Enjoy Your Life, & Believe In Love. The album really isn’t that bad.

Girl EH is as literally bubblegum pop... nobody hates it because it’s pop get that shit out of your head