Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

7 minutes ago, DCooper said:

At the end of Lust for Life, Lana makes a commitment to be happier, so a lot of the vibe of Norman has this easy-breezy feeling, but there's often anxiety simmering beneath the surface in a lot of the songs. Finally on the greatest, she's totally burnt out as the world collapses all around her, and she's forced to re-evaluate everything once again, ending with Hope, her most introspective song at the time and the beginning of this really heavy soul-searching that she's doing now.

:wowcry:

18 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

I've always made it clear to everyone on the forum that while I do love Ultraviolence, it still ranks low on my album rankings. I am just not in that type of headspace that can emotionally connect with the wild passion and fury of that album. I completely respect it and all of the people who adore it, but lyrically, it's just not my cup of tea outside of a handful of tracks (1-5, Black Beauty, and Old Money). While I was talking about the songs that I've heard from Ocean Blvd in general, I do connect with the title track. So much of it, for me, is connecting with this experience of not wanting to be forgotten by those you love after you die. I think Ocean Blvd poignantly gets at something at the core of existence, consciousness, and the human spirit that really moves me deeply. These are the reasons why I am so blown away by the new music, but I can understand why it might not hit the spot for other people. As I get older, I've started thinking more about my family, my past, trauma, spirituality, and developed more anxieties about death in general. The music on Ocean Blvd that I've heard so far encapsulates all of those anxieties and concerns, which exemplifies why I adore the music so much.

It ranks low for me too. Shades of Cool and West Coast are among her greatest, the direction is cohesive and a necessary deviation from BTD-P, as well as being rich with individual moments within songs that I love, but the songwriting on balance pales in comparison to works before and after. 

14 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

That's all beautifully expressed. I wish I heard and 'saw' that in the title track, which remains flat for me, like a dead fish, but I do like, at least, 'The Grants' and 'Sweet,' though, as I said yesterday, 'Fingertips' is still not jelling with me. I look forward to the balance of the album. 

I also cannot relate to a lot of UV, and 'BB' and 'Old Money' are also my favorites from the album. Speaking of maturity, as we have been today, I think both of those songs really reflect maturity, but was it only artist reflecting maturity, and not the individual?  As if they can be separated! Was 'Old Money' a glimpse of a maturity still to come? 'Old Money' is my all-time favorite of her songs.

Regarding the 'Sad Girl' lyrics, it's interesting that everywhere the lyrics appears on the internet, it's as 'I'm a Sad Girl, I'm Sad Girl, I'm a Sad Girl,' when that is clearly not what she actually says. You quoted the lyrics correctly. 

You make a really good point here about Old Money possibly reflecting the maturity of an artist. While I don't believe that an artist and individual can be separated either, I do believe that in her first three albums, we really heard Lana craft music of an artist looking outwards towards the world and created music oriented by the kaleidoscopic perspective of an artist as she moves through life. With this new music, especially the songs on Ocean Blvd, I see it as almost the opposite. The artist that has matured, went through all of those tribulations, became scarred and jaded by those without the best of intentions, is now looking from the outside world and digging deeper into who she really is as a person underneath the aesthetic cloak that she masterfully created. She's going deeper into her own stories, relationships, friendships, and past in order to unveil her soul to the world. All of this is to not say that there's a "new Lana vs old Lana," all of her music is authentically her, but we're experiencing it from a different vantage point now: Lana as an individual from the artist's point of view after a long life of challenges and development of wisdom.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Streaming Red Moon In Venus today to distract myself from the torture that is waiting for this album

:twirls:

I still haven’t listened to the taco snippet but I want to so bad

Just now, GeminiLanaFan said:

Another discussion maybe, but we collectively will have to revisit COCC and BB in a couple of years, to see how they all fit into a grander scheme. COCC is a bit the «Shangri-La and mystical headspace» she wanted to be, while creating LFL and for a time, during the pandemic, she might have been there in many aspects of her life. But with BB, we begin to see that she wasn't there yet and wanted to process some trauma from her past... But Ocean BLvd seems to be telling that things happened since these two albums that left her feeling a bit lost... and maybe carefree also? I dont if this makes sense. 

Yes, it makes sense. You said once here that, to paraphrase, 'peace of mind' and 'mental health' are not necessarily continually forward moving processes, and you were right about that. That's why, I think, we can never accurately judge what her genuine state of mind is at any point, because we're basing our judgment not on broad hard knowledge, but on new releases and interviews that often conceal more than they reveal. I think we don't know a lot more than we do know about her. 

I think people see what they want to see in lyrics a lot of time, but to be completely frank - there is always a mixture of darkness and lightness in Lana’s work, and she’s never not broaching the reality of life in her songs. Regardless of how that’s presented, there’s a lot of reading between the lines that needs to be done in order to really see the depth of her writing.

And I think that’s masterful on her part, because then she totally lets the listener take as much as they want away from her writing without there having to be any explicit reveal OR withdrawal of detail from her. 

4 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

You make a really good point here about Old Money possibly reflecting the maturity of an artist. While I don't believe that an artist and individual can be separated either, I do believe that in her first three albums, we really heard Lana craft music of an artist looking outwards towards the world and created music oriented by the kaleidoscopic perspective of an artist as she moves through life. With this new music, especially the songs on Ocean Blvd, I see it as almost the opposite. The artist that has matured, went through all of those tribulations, became scarred and jaded by those without the best of intentions, is now looking from the outside world and digging deeper into who she really is as a person underneath the aesthetic cloak that she masterfully created. She's going deeper into her own stories, relationships, friendships, and past to make unveil her soul to the world. All of this is to not say that there's a "new Lana vs old Lana," all of her music is authentically her, but we're experiencing it from a different vantage point now: Lana as an individual from the artist's point of view after a long life of challenges and development of wisdom.

I agree! And while that might not be a happy process, it is probably one that will eventually free her, as genuine, by-the-book psychoanalysis purports to do. So so far, I cannot agree ethat what i've heard on OB comes from a 'happy' or 'positive' place or state of mind, even though these struggles and revelations may, in themselves, be 'positive' steps. 

1 hour ago, Vertimus said:

Did anyone ever really care about Annie Mac or did she just unfortunately have a high profile job for awhile? I live in liberal NYC, bastion of PC-ism, and I've never heard anyone mention her or her fascist opinions. 

i guess not, lol. i know for sure i never cared about her and no one that i know even knows of her existence. but if she’s a fascist, i dislike her even more now

Honestly I feel like this album is gonna really be for people who care to know who Lana the person is, and her past rather than the “sound”. She’s never been as blunt (yet still poetic), as she’s been with these singles. BB was kinda scratching the surface, but this album seems to be completely open.

I’d even go as far to say that in A&W she might have even admitted to having been r*ped. But I think that went over peoples head since it’s hard to know where the persona starts and where it ends. But after singing that r*ped line, she follows it up by singing  with a sneer “on top of this, so many other things you can’t believe”. Seemingly confirming that the r*ped line is actually true, among other things people couldn’t believe due to her reputation.

I don’t know just some thoughts, I think a lot of things get interpreted wrong due to the persona, but I honestly think the persona has faded away gradually since NFR. 

1 minute ago, Vertimus said:

I agree! And while that might not be a happy process, it is probably one that will eventually free her, as genuine, by-the-book psychoanalysis purports to do. So so far, I cannot agree ethat what i've heard comes from a 'happy' or 'positive' place or state of mind, even though these struggles and revelations may, in themselves, 'positive' steps. 

i agree with you on this. i think i the way she’s begun writing is extremely introspective and part of healing from your past is realizing your trauma and what went wrong. although the writing seems depressing, she really is getting better and i finally see some true happiness in her

Spoiler

Do you think about Heaven? Do you think about me? :trisha:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, hayden del rey said:

i guess not, lol. i know for sure i never cared about her and no one that i know even knows of her existence. but if she’s a fascist, i dislike her even more now

Awful. She's a doctrinaire Marxist. There's only one way to think about any particular subject, whether it's feminism, race, the environment, gender identity, etc., and if you don't conform, it's off to the Gulag with you, where you will never be heard from again. Who the **** is she to tell Lana or any other person what they must think, perceive, feel?

I am a free speech advocate. But that doesn't mean I am protected from negative responses to my free speech. I can get socked in the jaw for insulting someone, or someone can 'dress me down' by practicing their own free speech. As in all things you have to be self-responsible. 

It’s interesting that mods are gonna ban people wanting leaks but they’re perfectly fine w people discussing the leaks on here with full blown lyrics? 

Just a thought for the culture. 

8Qg234E.gif

4 minutes ago, hayden del rey said:

i agree with you on this. i think i the way she’s begun writing is extremely introspective and part of healing from your past is realizing your trauma and what went wrong. although the writing seems depressing, she really is getting better and i finally see some true happiness in her

Yes, it's an uphill climb, as in the following: 

"Climb out of the belly of the beast" she said
"Become a witness out of the abyss
The temple of the soul will have to heal the flesh
Only when you're whole can you forgive
But it's a long long climb
It's a long long climb."