Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

2 hours ago, 111 said:

i wish she'd appropriate my culture and language

8BD928CC-480E-4B49-BA3B-8A8A09EE81E7.thu

when she cosplays as hot gay insider on the next album and changes her insta pfp to a squidward meets goldilocks pic 
1*VVyggXTjT67H1aidWk6gKw.gif

Just now, DCooper said:

I personally feel from the three songs I've heard that this is her darkest work yet. It's about finally unpacking the things she wasn't ready to face and really putting herself through the emotional wringer. There's a weight to it that I don't think she's explored before. That being said, I think she will balance a lot of emotions throughout the record and the ultimate takeaway will be one of hope, strength, love for yourself and others.

It seems like there's going to be a huge emotional climax in the middle of the album, and then Margaret to Taco Truck will be a release from all of the devastating lyricism.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

14 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

I’ll disagree with you not because I think UV is less dark but because I think Tunnel and UV are dark in very different ways. UV is told with the perspective of someone in the eye of a storm. Tunnel seems to come from someone who’s matured and grown from it but still aches looking back at it and realizing how formative and destructive those experiences were.

There’s no point in comparing them, to be honest. I went through very rough and painful experiences that brought me feelings of angst, loss and isolation and were very hard to go through but now, years later and way more mature and a bit more self-assured, I struggle with coming to terms with what everything behind me means: what it says about me as a person, what did I do to deserve to go through those experiences and the ramifications said experiences still have on my day-to-day life. It’s a different kind of suffering but it’s suffering anyways - my therapist once told me that looking back at my past with a bird’s view lens, while useful and perhaps necessary, would eventually turn out to be pretty dark and severe for me because it would make me realize that everything is connected and structured in a very complex and dense architecture; that often causes me a lot of pain and dismay, even if I can admittedly tell you right now that I’m happier today than I was years ago.

Yet, coming to terms with the traumatic experiences that shaped the person you are today is a very overwhelming process to go through even if the long term purpose of that is to seek serenity and find blissfulness. I haven’t found either but I’m on my way to do so. And this is exactly what I will assume Tunnel represents: the realization that there’s a deeper meaning to every single cell and fiber of your existence, even if the outside suggests you otherwise. It’s a different kind of perspective than the one you can offer when you’re actively going through trauma but it’s one that can be just as encompassing and sprawling. For one to pick up the pieces and try to build something new, one gotta face the shambles first, head on. That’s heavy.

It could be said that happiness is darker than most people realise until they have no option but to try to be happy. Because it is a choice, and it’s not something that is passively felt. It is willed, practiced, and exerted for a long time in spite of the darkness. UV sounds like blind rage drilling through dark tunnels (as it should), OB so far sounds like wilful, if quiet, self-assurance, wandering the halls of a dark house with a flickering candle.

8 minutes ago, your dealer said:

im gunna ignore most of that to address the "And to me, she looks vague, dissipated and hungover in the album art, the way Bruce Springsteen did on the cover of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' back in the day, like he was forever just getting up or going to sleep. To me, that does not suggest happiness, peace of mind, joy, self control, etc. "

it's just crazy that you looked at the photoshoot for her album cover and saw vague, dissipated and hungover. Especially when she doesn't even drink alcohol she's been sober for a very long time. I think a lot of this is maybe some type of projection from something you're dealing with in your own life but it's a really weird thing to say about someone especially a woman. 

For me, she's showing her body in a way she never has. It's vulnerable and she's confident, glamorous, powerful and in control of herself. 

You mean all women are sacrosanct, and can't be described except in broadly culturally-accepted, very positive terms? That's the way Annie Mac thinks. Is this the 1950s all over again, where we must always keep our comments polite in the High WASP manner, so that they become essentially useless and rote, like, "You look lovely today, ________?" Look at Madonna in 2023 and what she's done to herself; are any honest publicly-made comments about her appearance from the neck up to be condemned, and the commentator banished?

Nico acknowledged she was "destroying herself" in mid-1970s interviews, and naturally some people were aghast at the change, and said so. To me, she remained beautiful right up until her 49th year, when she died, but years of neglect and addiction showed on her face. 

And Lana has written a lot about drug-taking; is that subject also off the table, because to some people's it's "unpleasant"? She's calling herself an 'American whore" in a new song--she's doing that herself--should we not discuss what that means, or could mean, or might mean, or whether it's a freeing thing for her to say or some kind of sad acknowledgement of a fact? 

I come out of the punk tradition, that is, the Velvet Underground, the Patti Smith Group, the Sex Pistols, the Voidoids, Nico's solo career, the Clash, etc. So I don't make 'nice nice' about anything, or commit my life to preserving that tradition, which I see as false and oppressive, though I understand good manners and conscientiousness. 

Spoiler

Fingertips is the darkest song she's ever written. Yes, more dark than "I'm a sad girl, I'm a sad girl, I'm a bad girl, I'm a bad girl" and songs that are more satirical than authentic experiences she went through. :oprah3:

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, ByDayAnother said:

It could be said that happiness is darker than most people realise until they have no option but to try to be happy. Because it is a choice, and it’s not something that is passively felt. It is willed, practiced, and exerted for a long time in spite of the darkness. UV sounds like blind rage drilling through dark tunnels (as it should), OB so far sounds like wilful, if quiet, self-assurance, wandering the halls of a dark house with a flickering candle.

This is so eloquently said! If I could hug a post, it would be this one :krylie:

IMG-1607.jpg

Just now, Vertimus said:

You mean all women are sacrosanct, and can't be described except in broadly culturally-accepted, very positive terms? That's the way Annie Mac thinks. Is this the 1950s all over again, where we must always keep our comments polite in the High WASP manner, so that they become essentially useless and rote, like, "You look lovely today, ________?" Look at Madonna in 2023 and what she's done to herself; are any honest publicly-made comments about her appearance from the neck up to be condemned, and the commentator banished?

Nico acknowledged she was "destroying herself" in mid-1970s interviews, and naturally some people were aghast at the change, and said so. To me, she remained beautiful right up until her 49th year, when she died, but years of neglect and addiction showed on her face. 

And Lana has written a lot about drug-taking; is that subject also off the table, because to some people's it's "unpleasant"? She's calling herself an 'American whore" in a new song--she's doing that herself--should we not discuss what that means, or could mean, or might mean, or whether it's a freeing thing for her to say or some kind of sad acknowledgement of a fact? 

I come out of the punk tradition, that is, the Velvet Underground, the Patti Smith Group, the Sex Pistols, the Voidoids, Nico's solo career, the Clash, etc. So I don't make 'nice nice' about anything, or commit my life to preserving that tradition, which I see as false and oppressive, though I understand good manners and conscientiousness. 

:wtf3:

faSE.gif

1 minute ago, Fingertips said:
  Hide contents

Fingertips is the darkest song she's ever written. Yes, more dark than "I'm a sad girl, I'm a sad girl, I'm a bad girl, I'm a bad girl" and songs that are more satirical than authentic experiences she went through. :oprah3:

speak louder for the ladies on the back! :oprah3:

7 minutes ago, Fingertips said:
  Hide contents

yes, UV with its irony and its anger and spite is very defensive (love it!), but this is her getting honest with herself (which is more important than her being honest with us, she is being VERY generous with her confessions this album).

15 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

I’ll disagree with you not because I think UV is less dark but because I think Tunnel and UV are dark in very different ways. UV is told with the perspective of someone in the eye of a storm. Tunnel seems to come from someone who’s matured and grown from it but still aches looking back at it and realizing how formative and destructive those experiences were.

There’s no point in comparing them, to be honest. I went through very rough and painful experiences that brought me feelings of angst, loss and isolation and were very hard to go through but now, years later and way more mature and a bit more self-assured, I struggle with coming to terms with what everything behind me means: what it says about me as a person, what did I do to deserve to go through those experiences and the ramifications said experiences still have on my day-to-day life. It’s a different kind of suffering but it’s suffering anyways - my therapist once told me that looking back at my past with a bird’s view lens, while useful and perhaps necessary, would eventually turn out to be pretty dark and severe for me because it would make me realize that everything is connected and structured in a very complex and dense architecture; that often causes me a lot of pain and dismay, even if I can admittedly tell you right now that I’m happier today than I was years ago.

Yet, coming to terms with the traumatic experiences that shaped the person you are today is a very overwhelming process to go through even if the long term purpose of that is to seek serenity and find blissfulness. I haven’t found either but I’m on my way to do so. And this is exactly what I will assume Tunnel represents: the realization that there’s a deeper meaning to every single cell and fiber of your existence, even if the outside suggests you otherwise. It’s a different kind of perspective than the one you can offer when you’re actively going through trauma but it’s one that can be just as encompassing and sprawling. For one to pick up the pieces and try to build something new, one gotta face the shambles first, head on. That’s heavy.

Let me just say that just because a person has matured, it doesn't mean you're happy, or that you've really matured, and not just chronologically matured. Look at all the sad old and older people in the world. There's a brilliant older filmmaker who is almost 90 and who claims he hasn't learned a damn thing in adulthood and is no more happy or unhappy at almost 90 than he ever was. 

Just now, ByDayAnother said:

yes, UV with its irony and its anger and spite is very defensive (love it!), but this is her getting honest with herself (which is more important that her being honest with us, she is being VERY generous with her confessions this album).

I love UV and definitely feel the pain and sadness from it, but the emotion on Ocean Blvd is extremely cathartic and hits me in the gut

1 minute ago, Vertimus said:

Let me just say that just because a person has matured, it doesn't mean you're happy, or that you've really matured, and not just chronologically matured. Look at all the sad old and older people in the world. There's a brilliant older filmmaker who is almost 90 and who claims he hasn't learned a damn thing in adulthood and is no more happy or unhappy at almost 90 than he ever was. 

Did I suggest that in any way, shape or form?

IMG-1607.jpg

Just now, Fingertips said:

I love UV and definitely feel the pain and sadness from it, but the emotion on Ocean Blvd is extremely cathartic and hits me in the gut

If you mean the title track, I can only say I wish it did for me. 

4 minutes ago, Fingertips said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I thought A&W was the darkest song she had written until I heard Fingertips :cryney2:

UV is a cinematic visceral darkness but this album so far is exploring traumatic darkness of the soul which carries a lot more weight

9 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

I recently turned 30, having listened to Lana since 18, and have really grown up alongside and through her work in many ways. In some ways it’s a vicarious growing up in that I’m behind her, and indeed behind where I thought I’d be by now, but it gives me hope to grow in similar ways. To empathise with where she is now through music inspires my own artistic practice and life narrative, so feel you catharsis-wise. Character or not, she has developed into a whole world that she nurtures for herself and invites us into so regularly, so intimately.

Wake me up, when pre-release ends. 🥲