Rust Dress

Say Yes to Heaven Discourse Thread

11 minutes ago, VioletBunny said:

does anyone get what I’m saying?😭

Yes

if you choose to use rain as a metaphor, don’t turn rain into something else and make it a completely different metaphor that is unrelated to rain. it’s pointless because she could just say they were wooden and caught fire 

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

34 minutes ago, Cherry Blossom said:

Yes

if you choose to use rain as a metaphor, don’t turn rain into something else and make it a completely different metaphor that is unrelated to rain. it’s pointless because she could just say they were wooden and caught fire 

THANK YOU ily omgg

28 minutes ago, ImenaOphelia said:

how did Say Yes to Heaven Discourse thread turned into a discussion about a verse in Fine China

they’re like twins in my eyes

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

I'm confused as to why some people want Lana to put this song on album when we already have 1728383 different versions of that very song.

1 minute ago, West Coast said:

I'm confused as to why some people want Lana to put this song on album when we already have 1728383 different versions of that very song.

I personally believe that by officially releasing the song, it would be a nice way to give this song its deserved happy ending. People would be able to freely stream the song officially (especially now, given its random TikTok popularity among the GP).

Now, the thing is, if the song ever finds a home, it'll start another endless chapter/discussion on the "(Say) Yes to Heaven" Discourse: "Will fans by satisfied with the 'final/officially released' version?". They probably won't, so this song will probably always be talked about in years to come 💀

44 minutes ago, West Coast said:

the song has a good cohesiveness with her discography, including ocean blvd

4 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

Yes

do you have any idea how fucking boring and dumb it would sound if she said "we were wooden and caught fire"... like ok ??? "the rain was fire but we were wooden" evokes imagery and in such a poetic way

4 hours ago, VioletBunny said:

It makes perfect sense ya, it’s just very simple and it’s like saying idk “the rain was salt but we were slugs” cause it’s like yeah.. if the rain was fire and you were wooden, that’s not a good match. but also it’s like.. you’re changing the attributes of two things to create a metaphor? It doesn’t feel right. 

“the rain was pouring but we were fire” would’ve been fine because.. rain puts out fire, Lana uses fire to represent passion in relationships, the relationship didn’t last even though it was strong. That makes sense as a metaphor bc you’re not changing water and fire as a metaphor for the relationship makes sense. 

I think wooden is used to represent the lack of passion, perhaps. But then she has to change rain into fire for it to work which doesn’t fit in my opinion. 

does anyone get what I’m saying?😭

the whole line just works imo. "the earth shattered, the sky opened, the rain was fire but we were wooded" like it reminds me of when you are young and you're told how love is supposed to work and the hardships, so you are prepared for them (aka rain, she prepared for the rain, they were solid wood) but when the hardships ACTUALLY came, the rain was not rain, it was fire, so what she prepared herself for (making her relationship solid strong wood) was not useful.

She makes other references to wood in the song as well, "ive always been a strong woman of faith, strong like a tree but the unlucky one"

On 12/28/2022 at 12:04 AM, VioletBunny said:

it’s the worst lyric she’s ever come up with and I genuinely believe that.. I just can’t get over how uncreative it is. I get that it’s a metaphor but it reminds me of something I’d have written in year 9 English.. 

:hdu:

I usually keep an open mind when it comes to people’s opinions but this is heresy ! 

On 12/27/2022 at 4:04 PM, VioletBunny said:

it’s the worst lyric she’s ever come up with and I genuinely believe that.. I just can’t get over how uncreative it is. I get that it’s a metaphor but it reminds me of something I’d have written in year 9 English.. 

I was at Coachella, leanin' on your shoulder
Watchin' your husband swing in time
I guess I was in it, 'cause, baby, for a minute
It was Woodstock in my mind
In the next mornin', they put out the warnin'
Tensions were rising over country lines
I turned off the music, tried to sit and use it
All of the love that I saw that night
'Cause what about all these children?
And what about all their parents?
And what about about all their crowns they wear
In hair so long like mine?
And what about all their wishes wrapped up like garland roses
Around their little heads?
I said a prayer for a third time
I'd trade it all for a stairway to heaven
(A stairway, stairway to heaven)
I'd take my time for the climb up to the top of it
(A stairway)
I'd trade the fame and the fortune and the legend
(A stairway)
I'd give it all away if you give me just one day
To ask Him one question
To ask Him one question
I was at Coachella, leanin' on your shoulder
Watchin' your husband swing and shine
I'd say he was hella cool to win them over
Critics can be so mean sometimes
He was on his knees and I thought he was breakin' 'em down
With his words and his voice divine
Doesn't take a genius to know what you've got goin', and to
Not wanna lose it 'cause they lost their minds
What about all these children and all their children's children?
And why am I even wonderin' that today?
Maybe my contribution could be as small as hopin'
That words could turn to birds
And birds would send my thoughts your way
I'd trade it all for a stairway to heaven
(A stairway, stairway to heaven)
I'd take my time for the climb up to the top of it
(A stairway)
I'd trade the fame and the fortune and the legend
(A stairway)
To ask Him one question
To ask Him one question
Got a million things I wanna say
Like what's it all for? Will it be okay?
Million things I wanna say
Like what's it all for?
:true:

15 minutes ago, lanabanana11 said:

do you have any idea how fucking boring and dumb it would sound if she said "we were wooden and caught fire"... like ok ??? "the rain was fire but we were wooden" evokes imagery and in such a poetic way

I didn’t say I agree with what the original poster said. I actually quite like this lyric, if you read back to my post from before. It’s always been a lyric that’s struck me from the first time I heard this song.

Not really sure why you’ve taken this tone with my response, when I was simply saying I can see where the original poster was coming from.

9 minutes ago, lanabanana11 said:

the whole line just works imo. "the earth shattered, the sky opened, the rain was fire but we were wooded" like it reminds me of when you are young and you're told how love is supposed to work and the hardships, so you are prepared for them (aka rain, she prepared for the rain, they were solid wood) but when the hardships ACTUALLY came, the rain was not rain, it was fire, so what she prepared herself for (making her relationship solid strong wood) was not useful.

She makes other references to wood in the song as well, "ive always been a strong woman of faith, strong like a tree but the unlucky one"

This is basically what I said the page prior. 
Building on the ‘strong like a tree but the unlucky one’ imagery, connotes imagery of a tree being struck by lightning after withstanding a monsoon

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

10 minutes ago, Cherry Blossom said:

I didn’t say I agree with what the original poster said. I actually quite like this lyric, if you read back to my post from before. It’s always been a lyric that’s struck me from the first time I heard this song.

Not really sure why you’ve taken this tone with my response, when I was simply saying I can see where the original poster was coming from.

This is basically what I said the page prior. 
Building on the ‘strong like a tree but the unlucky one’ imagery, connotes imagery of a tree being struck by lightning after withstanding a monsoon

oh yes then i love it! :party::wub:

5 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

Yes

this was my first thought too but also not all music or lyrics are meant to be understood by everyone who listens, especially lana. it very likely could’ve been a personal connotation, like the day lana and barrie broke up it was raining or something lol. which is a big deal in california too! it would make sense why she would want to incorporate that in a song. it could be a really cool play on words and twisting of reality with metaphor. lmao or she was just saying whatever

On 12/27/2022 at 3:34 AM, 111 said:

say yes to allah, say yes to me... the song has been whored around and no one was able to get it quite right it's just a BAD song. recycled boring lyrics, boring vocal performance, cute melody and that's it... where is the same effort and attention to FINE GRAMMYS? if this didn't make it onto cocc/bb then i can only pray she finally laid it to rest... 

the one i leakedT? no thats from 2013

:dua:

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif