Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

I think on the whole, people should approach the way they think about their music taste like we would religion/spirituality. Yes, it’s amazing to be able to share thoughts on our favourite records with other fans, I LOVE that! 

But I also think we get into territory where preferences are a product of groupthink and then debates about taste break out because people want their opinions to be shared. But the reality is - your own relationship to the songs you enjoy should be sacred and personal - and no person can challenge you on that. In the same way that a relationship to God or a spirit or whatever is often more fulfilling than a congregation that may have dogmatic or exclusionary values. 

(Don’t anyone accuse me of wanting an echo chamber because don’t get it twisted - it’s not that :typewriter:)

2 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I think on the whole, people should approach the way they think about their music taste like we would religion/spirituality. Yes, it’s amazing to be able to share thoughts on our favourite records with other fans, I LOVE that! 

But I also think we get into territory where preferences are a product of groupthink and then debates about taste break out because people want their opinions to be shared. But the reality is - your own relationship to the songs you enjoy should be sacred and personal - and no person can challenge you on that. In the same way that a relationship to God or a spirit or whatever is often more fulfilling than a congregation that may have dogmatic or exclusionary values. 

(Don’t anyone accuse me of wanting an echo chamber because don’t get it twisted - it’s not that :typewriter:)

Perfectly said, friend :gclap:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 hour ago, lili said:

I've wanted to write an analysis on Text Book for a long time, because there seems to be a lot going on in it. Now might be a good time for it. I'll try to keep it concise

I'm gonna skip the obvious parts, like the song opening "looking for the father I wanted back" and what it entails to.

Okay, so, I think "the issue of her" might be a few different things (likely at the same time):

1. "her" being Lana's mother: we all know about this dynamic being dysfunctional

2. "her" being Lana herself: because what follows is "I didn't even like myself"

3. "her" being Lana Del Rey as a celebrity because there were rumors as to whether her fame caused problems in her relationship with Sean

4. "her" being another woman as alluded to the now deleted video with Lana alluding to a second woman

Personally I think, "the issue of her" is a combination of the dysfunctional relationship with the mother and the fame which brought upon "the life she had and didn't like". Then, man "standing blue" comes (in my opinion it's definitely Sean) and she wants to rewrite her personal history with him and maybe heal and grow through it. That said, rewriting history might as well just amount to recreating it with all its dysfunctionality. "Maybe just the way we're different could set me free" - she acknowledges that they're different but almost kind of tries to rationalize this discrepancy like "what if I try it with someone very different than me this time?"

Now the most interesting part imo arrives:

I saw you saw who I am - their discrepancy can't be ignored anymore due to their political stance during BLM?

Then she does something interesting and switches back to talking about her father:

All the things I couldn't want for him

I screamed for them, oh, oh - Only explanation I could come up with was through thinking what were people wanting during the BLM protests? Justice, right? Why does she want justice for her father? She perceives him as a victim of injustice? By his spouse? Or does she want justice from her boyfriend, does she want him to see what she sees as the truth?

Could we do this dance again?
Do you think if I go blonde we could get our old love back?

(This is also very interesting, as she is naturally blond, so this might also allude to her childhood as well as going blonde briefly during her relationship with Sean. I see this line as a question to both her father and boyfriend)

Anyway thank you for reading my ramblings :smile3:

I really like your analysis on this and I think its probably pretty accurate :true:

With the part

"All the things I couldn't want for him"

I always took it to mean, all the things she wanted for herself (a relationship, happiness and love, etc.) were all the things she couldn't want for her father in his relationship with Patty

In other words, she feels she can't encourage his relationship with Patty because of her own dislike of her...in turn wishing her father's relationship (and happiness in love) to fail

But with "I screamed for them, oh, oh"

the question is, is she still talking about the things she couldn't want for her father's relationship with Patty? Or is she going back to her experiences at the protest? Perhaps both? :um2:

3 minutes ago, fishtails said:

I really like your analysis on this and I think its probably pretty accurate 

With the part

"All the things I couldn't want for him"

I always took it to mean, all the things she wanted for herself (a relationship, happiness and love, etc.) were all the things she couldn't want for her father in his relationship with Patty

In other words, she feels she can't encourage his relationship with Patty because of her own dislike of her...in turn wishing her father's relationship (and happiness in love) to fail

But with "I screamed for them, oh, oh"

the question is, is she still talking about the things she couldn't want for her father's relationship with Patty? Or is she going back to her experiences at the protest? Perhaps both? :um2:

Thank you, yeah I think you may be right about the “All the things I couldn’t want for him” part, the “never stepped in” lyric from WW might also be alluding to some sort of childhood resentment.

As for your latter point, I think it’s both. This song is incredibly layered really I think of different things with each listen. :party:

21 minutes ago, lili said:

Thank you, yeah I think you may be right about the “All the things I couldn’t want for him” part, the “never stepped in” lyric from WW might also be alluding to some sort of childhood resentment.

As for your latter point, I think it’s both. This song is incredibly layered really I think of different things with each listen. :party:

Yes exactly! It really does have so much to it lol and now with the context of the lyrics of A&W that Lana shared, its starting to all make sense....that after Lana and Sean broke up, they were still hooking up (Tulsa Jesus Freak), while he was engaged to someone else without Lana knowing (A&W) and that their relationship ended because of their different views (Violets for Roses and Text Book)

I wonder if we'll learn even more on the rest of Ocean Blvd...

2 hours ago, lili said:

(This is also very interesting, as she is naturally blond, so this might also allude to her childhood as well as going blonde briefly during her relationship with Sean. I see this line as a question to both her father and boyfriend)

is she naturally blonde? arent the earliest photos of her with brunette hair? (the keds shoot early 2000's)

11 minutes ago, The Siren said:

is she naturally blonde? arent the earliest photos of her with brunette hair? (the keds shoot early 2000's)

I believe she’s naturally blonde, but as she got older her hair became darker. 
3938531502abcb9dfc6dc3505e76b941.jpg

E50-D9357-FEA1-47-CA-B75-E-1-B7-A0-D39-C

prom-pictures-lana-just-posted-taken-199

teachers-said-wed-never-make-it-out-aliv

i9hi54u157411.jpg?auto=webp&s=34b7707be8

it looks bleached here but it’s hard to tell

2cac2b5b9fd4a53d0cbd2af47f56e4baf51e69ca

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

1 minute ago, mssainttropez said:

I believe she’s naturally blonde, but as she got older her hair became darker. 
3938531502abcb9dfc6dc3505e76b941.jpg

551059-A2-394-C-4-ACD-BEF4-C63-E85933-B0

prom-pictures-lana-just-posted-taken-199

You're right, but the second picture is actually Chuck :really: They look so similar 

imageproxy.jpg

1 minute ago, Super Movie said:

You're right, but the second picture is actually Chuck :really: They look so similar 

The way I thought it was Chuck but I swear someone told me it was Lana :toofloppy:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

4 minutes ago, White Dress said:

It’s kind of wild to think that the number of new tracks (not including covers) made for Chemtrails and BB (16 total) is the same number of new tracks we’re getting for this album cycle :wub:

Wait how did you get 16? All 10 tracks on Chemtrails were unheard before the era, and 11 tracks on Blue Banisters were unheard before the era, + a reworking of "Thunder"?

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

Just now, Mer said:

Wait how did you get 16? All 11 tracks on Chemtrails were unheard before the era, and 11 tracks on Blue Banisters were unheard before the era, + a reworking of "Thunder"?

well a. i think they mean before the album proper and b. they're not including covers

so

1. white dress
  2. tulsa jesus freak
  3. wild at heart
  4. dark but just a game
  5. not all who wander are lost
  6. yosemite
  7. breaking up slowly
  8. dance till we die
  9. black bathing suit
  10. if you lie down with me
  11. beautiful
  12. violets for roses
  13. dealer
  14. sweet carolina

(15 if you include interlude)

so it's actually less than 16 nnn

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

Just now, the ocean said:

i think they mean before the album proper

ohhh i see, i included the singles. 

Just now, the ocean said:

the thing that's throwing me off though is that we're only getting 14 new tracks so either 16 was a typo or sis actually did get their math wrong :xgiggle:

ya i was just about to say...the logic is...well anyways I don't want to get accused of being rude again :oopna2:

1 minute ago, the ocean said:

the thing that's throwing me off though is that we're only getting 14 new tracks so either 16 was a typo or sis actually did get their math wrong :xgiggle:

they said "album cycle" so maybe they counted the 2 tracks lana is featuring in rob's album

2 minutes ago, DNC said:

they said "album cycle" so maybe they counted the 2 tracks lana is featuring in rob's album

2 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

i think they meant songs made for the album, because technically

1. White Dress

2. Tulsa Jesus Freak

3. Chemtrails

4. Wild at Heart

5. Breaking Up Slowly

6. Dance Till We Die

7. Text Book

8. Arcadia

9. Blue Banisters

10. Black Bathing Suit

11. Beautiful

12. Violets for Roses

13. Wildflower Wildfire

14. Sweet Carolina

15. The Trio

16. Dark But Just a Game

were the only new songs made for those albjms

They're kind of an icon for making us use the 3 braincells this forum shares between all of us and try to decode their riddle 

1 minute ago, lilac heaven said:

i think they meant songs made for the album, because technically

1. White Dress

2. Tulsa Jesus Freak

3. Chemtrails

4. Wild at Heart

5. Breaking Up Slowly

6. Dance Till We Die