Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

21 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

ive been saying this from the beginning, but we all need to blame laura sisk
ocean blvd is so poorly mastered, ESPECIALLY kintsugi which could've been an even more beautiful song than it already is

1499440163092-laura-sisk.jpg?height=359& this is the face of a villain

what would you change about kintsugi? i think the issue lies more in the mixing which is mostly jacks fault 

giphy.gif

Tbh I've never gotten the BB hate. From first listen, it was already my favorite album from hers. It's her most comforting and inviting work, and for me, nostalgic in a sense (especially Violets For Roses, Thunder, Living Legend, etc.). I'm always transported back to first listen every time, and I think that speaks to its warmth and freshness.

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

1 minute ago, bigspender said:

what would you change about kintsugi? i think the issue lies more in the mixing which is mostly jacks fault 

to me, it sounds fuzzy/muffled overall, especially her voice. according to the credits, both Laura and Jack were involved in mixing and mastering, but Laura is more of an audio engineer than a producer, and my problem with kintsugi is the technical aspect

1 hour ago, plastiscguy said:

Drew is very hit or miss... more miss than hit, tho :bebe:

HOWEVER, the person that should indeed be fired is whoever mixes her vocals... They're way too muffled, and way louder than they should be... (like Arcadia for example) 

Besides, if you listen to the instrumentals, you can find so many interesting moments if you pay attention, but the way the final songs are mixed is so... 

I know most of y'all don't care about stems, but I personally get upset when a song has many layers and you cannot notice them because of the poorly job the person who mixes and masters the songs do :smh:

The mixing on Ocean instantly makes me enjoy it less, Fishtail would be a hit with better mixing. That is something I really miss with Rick is that everything sounded crisp always 

37 minutes ago, bigspender said:

The mixing is fine I think, Laura just likes to compress everything so it comes out flat as hell

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

1 hour ago, GaboSpaceCowboy said:

Some here love those laptop demos but hate Kintsugi. :brigitte:

I don't get it too.

Imagine an Album full of Laptop Demos would outsell every Lana Album.

Mfhp.gif

1 hour ago, plastiscguy said:

Drew is very hit or miss... more miss than hit, tho :bebe:

HOWEVER, the person that should indeed be fired is whoever mixes her vocals... They're way too muffled, and way louder than they should be... (like Arcadia for example) 

Besides, if you listen to the instrumentals, you can find so many interesting moments if you pay attention, but the way the final songs are mixed is so... 

I know most of y'all don't care about stems, but I personally get upset when a song has many layers and you cannot notice them because of the poorly job the person who mixes and masters the songs do :smh:

The mixing on Ocean instantly makes me enjoy it less, Fishtail would be a hit with better mixing. That is something I really miss with Rick is that everything sounded crisp always 

Super obscure but I just found this article bashing Lana from Fordham University's student newspaper "The Fordham Ram" (Lana's alma mater)

"Lana Del Rey’s “Chemtrails Over the Country Club” Is More Unoriginal Than Exceptional"

https://thefordhamram.com/80210/culture/lana-del-reys-chemtrails-over-the-country-club-is-more-unoriginal-than-exceptional/

8 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

Super obscure but I just found this article bashing Lana from Fordham University's student newspaper "The Fordham Ram" (Lana's alma mater)

"Lana Del Rey’s “Chemtrails Over the Country Club” Is More Unoriginal Than Exceptional"

https://thefordhamram.com/80210/culture/lana-del-reys-chemtrails-over-the-country-club-is-more-unoriginal-than-exceptional/

OOP :awk:

2bfdb5f27c0411b17e7345642d0743ba99f47af0
 𝓟𝓾𝓽 𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓫𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓻𝓬𝔂𝓬𝓵𝓮

𝓕𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓫𝓪𝓫𝔂 𝓭𝓸𝓵𝓵 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓶𝔂 '𝓘 𝓭𝓸' 

𝓘𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓵𝔂 𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓽𝔀𝓸 𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓝𝓮𝓿𝓪𝓭𝓪

⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚ 

6 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

A-men. 

8 hours ago, TrashMagiq said:

So far the only Jack produced Lana song I dislike is Kintsugi, and that's mainly because Lana sounds muffled as hell on it. Other than that he has always delivered, even when Lana was forcing him to remove instrumentals for a stripped back sound with Chemtrails. I'm here for another Jack album :monicker:

How do you listen to UV if you think that’s muffled? And what do you think of Honeymoon or LFL?

8 hours ago, ivory almond said:

ive been saying this from the beginning, but we all need to blame laura sisk
ocean blvd is so poorly mastered, ESPECIALLY kintsugi which could've been an even more beautiful song than it already is

1499440163092-laura-sisk.jpg?height=359& this is the face of a villain

Ocean Blvd is mastered to perfection. We should be thanking and kissing her feet. Every single “muffled sound” or “rough sound” is intentional and artistically done. Unlike Blue Tankisters which sounds like technical errors. That was just really unprofessional and amateurly done.

For me, I can listen to any song on Ocean Blvd. I can’t finish a song on Blue Tankisters. It physically hurts my ears. Arcadia esp is an assault with the title track following right behind it.

6 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

It’s really not the mixing when the song is intentionally done so that way. Just like the industrial sound (vocal chop “MIIIIINNNNE”) at the back end of A&W. It’s rough like that because Lana clearly wanted to sound that way.

They could have gone for a muted limp trap song like Tulsa but instead they cranked it up. They made the right choice. There’s so much more texture and life.

6 minutes ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

Ocean Blvd is mastered to perfection.

:brigitte:

Every single “muffled sound” or “rough sound” is intentional and artistically done.

Please explain how this intentional. What purpose do these issues serve?

I can’t finish a song on Blue Tankisters. It physically hurts my ears.

This is so overdramatic and unnecessary. Also, why are you comparing Ocean Blvd to the quality of Blue Banisters like so many others have done. This isn't about Blue Banisters, so why keep bringing it up? 

1 hour ago, ivory almond said:

:brigitte:

Please explain how this intentional. What purpose do these issues serve?

This is so overdramatic and unnecessary. Also, why are you comparing Ocean Blvd to the quality of Blue Banisters like so many others have done. This isn't about Blue Banisters, so why keep bringing it up? 

I don’t want to be writing an essay. I’m going to type words and you piece it yourself. Lana has said some these words herself about the album and her intention:

- Automatic singing

- Kintsugi (a metaphor for embracing your flaws and imperfections)

- Imperfections

- Should we structured this?

- Candy Necklace video with random cuts of BTS

- Multiple long songs (that is so far from the norm esp in the ringtone TikTok era)

The album itself also has random background noises and blips and blops that weren’t cut out (vape sounds, Lana discussing with Jack, Peppers). Jack said so himself. They wanted to keep the atmosphere of the recording sessions in. 

This is a personal rough around the edges album. The album has imperfections on purpose. It is intentionally artistically done. There’s a metaphor somewhere of how the album sound and Lana as an artist. Her journey and her evolution.

She also clearly wanted to do something different and something not the norm and more challenging sonically. By challenging, she’s challenging herself and challenging the listener. She wanted to buck the trend and put her whole foot down. This is an album of bravery. No one is putting out multiple 6 minutes songs in an album with massively long interludes like that. The long songs here also feed into the whole streams of consciousness, automatic writing, structuredless, unedited, unpolished, rawness of it all which is part of the imperfections. There’s a line somewhere in here that you can grasp at. 

BTW, the “rough” sound here is still more listenable than the ear piercing Blue Tankisters. Blue Tankisters sound isn’t even rough. It’s actually very polished but mistakes were made. Her vocals are so clear and loud to the point of making it unlistenable. And the piano hits your ear drums in a way that is just painful to listen to. I don’t know the technical terms, but there’s gotta be some wave length of sound that is unchecked or something.

Ocean Blvd is rough in away that is still pleasant. Like eating Spicy foods. The levels are correct. It’s abravesive at points but not unpleasantly so. The mixing is wonderful. There’s a fuzzy coziness to the album. Very wintery. There’s just a texture to this album interestingly similarly to Neil’s photography. The texture here is also very similar to Ultraviolence. I’m talking about the sound texture. The album itself is very different, of course.

Not people saying OB's incoherent mastering is great or an artistic choice 💀 A&W is literally much quieter than any other songs on the album,'s A-side, you always have to awkwardly adjust the volume whrn listening to the vinyl. And then there is the flat sound on tracks like Fishtail, Grandfather or Paris that really impacts these sonh's momentum. The only tracks where I feel like the effect was intentional is Kintsugi and Peppers, fo the rest it's just bad mastering.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!