Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

I don’t want to be writing an essay. I’m going to type words and you piece it yourself. Lana has said some these words herself about the album and her intention:

- Automatic singing

- Kintsugi (a metaphor for embracing your flaws and imperfections)

- Imperfections

- Should we structured this?

- Candy Necklace video with random cuts of BTS

- Multiple long songs (that is so far from the norm esp in the ringtone TikTok era)

The album itself also has random background noises and blips and blops that weren’t cut out (vape sounds, Lana discussing with Jack, Peppers). Jack said so himself. They wanted to keep the atmosphere of the recording sessions in. 

This is a personal rough around the edges album. The album has imperfections on purpose. It is intentionally artistically done. There’s a metaphor somewhere of how the album sound and Lana as an artist. Her journey and her evolution.

She also clearly wanted to do something different and something not the norm and more challenging sonically. By challenging, she’s challenging herself and challenging the listener. She wanted to buck the trend and put her whole foot down. This is an album of bravery. No one is putting out multiple 6 minutes songs in an album with massively long interludes like that. The long songs here also feed into the whole streams of consciousness, automatic writing, structuredless, unedited, unpolished, rawness of it all which is part of the imperfections. There’s a line somewhere in here that you can grasp at. 

BTW, the “rough” sound here is still more listenable than the ear piercing Blue Tankisters. Blue Tankisters sound isn’t even rough. It’s actually very polished but mistakes were made. Her vocals are so clear and loud to the point of making it unlistenable. And the piano hits your ear drums in a way that is just painful to listen to. I don’t know the technical terms, but there’s gotta be some wave length of sound that is unchecked or something.

Ocean Blvd is rough in away that is still pleasant. Like eating Spicy foods. The levels are correct. It’s abravesive at points but not unpleasantly so. The mixing is wonderful. There’s a fuzzy coziness to the album. Very wintery. There’s just a texture to this album interestingly similarly to Neil’s photography. The texture here is also very similar to Ultraviolence. I’m talking about the sound texture. The album itself is very different, of course.

Ok, so addressing your two points: 1) The imperfect mixing is intentional to be reflective of the meaning of the album - Moments such as the intro to The Grants with the misspoken lyrics, the sneezes and background noises in A&W, the little guitar licks and small details all over the album ARE intentional and well-done. However, like I just said, these are all small moments that pop up in the MIXING and COMPOSITION. When referring to the poor quality of the mastering and sound engineering, this does not seem intentional or an artistic choice. This isn't a little "imperfection," this is a matter of literal quality and clarity of the tracks on the WHOLE album. The inconsistency and difference in mastering on each track, many having muffled aspects, is just in poor taste, nothing else.

And 2) The "rough sound" and "texture" adding to the aesthetic and vibe of the album. - Yes, I would agree that the tracks, sonically match the overall aesthetic. Even down to the grain/noise used on the album cover, and the low contrast of it. However, just because something fits or matches visual appeals does NOT equate to it being of high quality. Most people can agree that adding clarity and depth to songs is important; it's a whole part of mastering. That is why flat and muffled songs (for best example, Kintsugi) are frowned upon and seen of as lower quality. Because they are.

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

On 12/27/2023 at 11:28 AM, ivory almond said:

Tbh I've never gotten the BB hate. From first listen, it was already my favorite album from hers. It's her most comforting and inviting work, and for me, nostalgic in a sense (especially Violets For Roses, Thunder, Living Legend, etc.). I'm always transported back to first listen every time, and I think that speaks to its warmth and freshness.

Agreed 100%. I definitely see what people mean when they say it seemed rushed and sloppy, but it’s a beautiful album. WFWF is an absolute masterpiece, we got Thunder and Living Legend which are arguably some of her best work in recent years. The whole album is just so comforting to me, and projects this warm energy :flutter:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

5 hours ago, Wait For Life said:

Super obscure but I just found this article bashing Lana from Fordham University's student newspaper "The Fordham Ram" (Lana's alma mater)

"Lana Del Rey’s “Chemtrails Over the Country Club” Is More Unoriginal Than Exceptional"

https://thefordhamram.com/80210/culture/lana-del-reys-chemtrails-over-the-country-club-is-more-unoriginal-than-exceptional/

an article writing "Del Ray" cannot be taken seriously

Idk if this is the thread I should be posting this in but does anybody know how to tell the difference from the original translucent white Blue Banisters pressing compared to the opaque repress if they’re still sealed? Like I know with some of the albums there’s a difference in the text on the back of the album I didn’t know if there was something like that for this pressing.

I've seen like rumours for years that Alex Turner cheated on Lana's friend and after that Lana stopped being friends with Alex. Is it really true that he dated Lana's friend?

url%5D

8 hours ago, Embach said:

I've seen like rumours for years that Alex Turner cheated on Lana's friend and after that Lana stopped being friends with Alex. Is it really true that he dated Lana's friend?

Lana's friend must be Taylor Bagley.

Dd_mt7rU8AADCyu?format=jpg&name=small

She was Alex's GF during the time Lana was hanging out with TLSP members, I think that's how they met.

Interview from Les Inrocks (2017) :

Spoiler

Interviewer: Speaking of creatures coming from another planet, you recently collaborated with Alex Turner and Miles Kane of the Last Shadow Puppets… 

Lana: (She bursts into laugher and claps her hands) They are truly hilarious, two madmen. They do not live far away from me, in Los Angeles.  I’ve begun to train two evenings a week in the studio of Miles, in the neighborhood of Los Feliz, to play with no goals with the Last Shadow Puppets. Then we go eat dinner together with their girlfriends in “La Poubelle” What a squad! I can’t count the amount of times I’ve ended up on the ground because I was laughing so hard. They are capable of speaking to one another by singing, with improvised lyrics. For example, one evening, I’ve told Miles about the concert of Joan Baez which I attended. He has never heard about her. Alex made up a song on the spot “Miles doesn’t know who Joan Baez is” (she screams)… No one is ever safe of their twisted humor. When I first met them, I did have the impression that I met musicians who only live for the music, whose only thoughts are about music. Singing with them is truly invigorating, there is no need to backtrack, they always find a continuation in their work.

I think they are still good friends though we don't have seen them together since a long time.

Every time I listen to Blue Banisters I appreciate it even more. Considering I recently ranked it as my least favorite LDR record, I’m not sure if I ought to rank it higher, or if even her least “great” stuff is still pretty damn good. 

Spoiler

I’m not one of those stans who loves every one of her songs, btw. There are at least a few that I will always skip. 

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

2 hours ago, Quincy said:

Every time I listen to Blue Banisters I appreciate it even more. Considering I recently ranked it as my least favorite LDR record, I’m not sure if I ought to rank it higher, or if even her least “great” stuff is still pretty damn good. 

Hide contents

I’m not one of those stans who loves every one of her songs, btw. There are at least a few that I will always skip. 

Wait spill your skips :nails:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

On 12/28/2023 at 10:37 PM, mssainttropez said:

Wait spill your skips :nails:

Groupie Love (painful because I love her parts, but I can’t stand the rest :toofunny:)
Judah Smith Interlude
Summer Bummer

Okay, that’s all I can come up with rn :derpna3:

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

On 12/28/2023 at 7:12 AM, Lanasvape said:

Idk if this is the thread I should be posting this in but does anybody know how to tell the difference from the original translucent white Blue Banisters pressing compared to the opaque repress if they’re still sealed? Like I know with some of the albums there’s a difference in the text on the back of the album I didn’t know if there was something like that for this pressing.

They were pressed in different countries, so usually you can read on the back where it was pressed 

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

Lmao, I'm noticing this for the first time, now I know why she had weird poses in that photoshoot with that dress (but I still love that photoshoot, one of my favorites!)

url%5D

url%5D

im hoping she does some collaborations this year. like the del rey bag with mulberry era and the H&M era and the gucci moment she had. I MISS IT. I miss the DRAMA I miss her buying that horse plant with the limited edition bag I miss the met gala WOEEE IS ME

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, twinkletoes7 said:

im hoping she does some collaborations this year. like the del rey bag with mulberry era and the H&M era and the gucci moment she had. I MISS IT. I miss the DRAMA I miss her buying that horse plant with the limited edition bag I miss the met gala WOEEE IS ME

I want Lana in this year's Met gala. The theme is about Sleeping Beauty or something like that :flutter:

url%5D

7 minutes ago, Embach said:

I want Lana in this year's Met gala. The theme is about Sleeping Beauty or something like that :flutter:

i’d love if she went back to gucci or maybe dolce and gabbana! i think that would fit her well too. I would actually die to see her there

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, twinkletoes7 said:

i’d love if she went back to gucci or maybe dolce and gabbana! i think that would fit her well too. I would actually die to see her there

Oh we really don’t want her in D&G, people will come for her again:eyes: