Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, AntiToxicPill said:

Nope it wasn’t my intention my friend  .We’re good . 🤝

Glad we're on the same page!

I think that you brought up really good examples of some of Lana's best songwriting to date; The Blackest Day, Get Free, and Shades of Cool are all excellent and some of my favorite songs from LDR to date. However, there have been quite a few tracks on her earlier albums, like Lolita, In My Feelings, Guns and Roses, Fucked My Way Up to the Top, Coachella, When the World Was at War, that I just don't feel like live up to LDR's caliber of writing. With the albums post Lust for Life, I see that she has changed styles, transitioning from storytelling to poetry & stream of consciousness. In my opinion, there has been a much more consistent quality of lyricism in the albums Norman onward that never quite reach the lows of the songs I previously mentioned. I love the lyrics to Arcadia, Blue Banisters, Wildflower Wildfire, The Greatest, Hope is a Dangerous Thing for their poetic sensibilities and while these songs might have some cringeworthy lines, in my opinion, I believe the lyrics are better than the tropes and repetitiveness of Born to Die ans Ultraviolence. Honeymoon and Blue Banisters have her best lyrics to date imo. It's just a shift in style that I prefer. It's nothing against Ultraviolence.

That's my response to your initial question

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Still waiting for my gurlie Contemplating at Costco the Santa Clarita Fires to earn her spot somewhere on a tracklist, though maybe she’ll be a title track a few albums down in, like, 3 years… :flutter:

46 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

i am laughing so hard i am obsessed w/ this sentence my god @GPSOTSOMFWHDSF you deserve Best New Member at the LanaBoards Awards

Thank you, my love. I do enjoy awards shows :hooker:

Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyonce have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc - can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money - or whatever I want - without being crucified or saying I'm glamorizing abuse??????

Even though I already got hated on today for saying my unpopular opinion (:biblio:)I do want to say the thing about her change in lyrical style is really interesting to me. While I do prefer her pre-NFR writing style (though I specifically love NFR’s lyrics, I don’t think she will ever recreate or top what she created on that album) the shift in her writing is sooooo crazy to me. It felt like it was very much over the course of NFR-COCC that something just changed and she was all the sudden writing about very different topics than before. I really want to know what caused the shift in her style and how she kind of decided to start writing like that if I was able to ask her a question on insta live I would probably ask that:flutter:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

51 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I don’t think the music has gotten better or worse. It’s all been brilliant, but obviously each record has had a distinct sonic landscape that may better amplify certain qualities and strengths of Lana’s musical output.

That said, I don’t think Jack Antonoff has done anything to actualize or legitimize Lana as an artist — if anything, Lana gave Jack the opportunity to reveal his true musicianship with a more classic approach to production, because prior to working with Lana, Jack was known almost exclusively for unique pop music with an 80s flair. To say that Jack helped Lana achieve a particular vision wouldn’t be an untrue statement, but let’s not overstate it. Her compositions dating back to as early as 2005 contain a sophistication that cannot be replicated and at the time, were completely unaffected by co-writers or producers.

An artist of Lana’s stature is allowed to enlist a variety of styles and embody a variety of lyrical moods in her writing, and still be considered a master of her craft completely on her own. 

@ me next time sis.

But anyways, like I said, he *helped legitimize her as an artist and realize *her genius. I’m not saying he is solely responsible for her turning a new leaf in her career, but I do think their collaboration revealed a more sophisticated side of Lana’s artistry.

But yeah, I agree that it was a mutually beneficial relationship. There’s a reason all the indie girls in music (and even some men) flocked to Jack after NFR.

Love your contributions to this forum btw don’t take anything I say seriously.

I was just quoted on ATRL. Is this an honor or an insult?

Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyonce have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc - can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money - or whatever I want - without being crucified or saying I'm glamorizing abuse??????

10 minutes ago, taco truck said:

Even though I already got hated on today for saying my unpopular opinion (:biblio:)I do want to say the thing about her change in lyrical style is really interesting to me. While I do prefer her pre-NFR writing style (though I specifically love NFR’s lyrics, I don’t think she will ever recreate or top what she created on that album) the shift in her writing is sooooo crazy to me. It felt like it was very much over the course of NFR-COCC that something just changed and she was all the sudden writing about very different topics than before. I really want to know what caused the shift in her style and how she kind of decided to start writing like that if I was able to ask her a question on insta live I would probably ask that:flutter:

I wanna say what I consider her “old style” and “new style” 

old style- imagery was very much at the forefront of the writing, flowery, lots of “beautiful” words, motifs, references, she didn’t sing about many topics other than love/ heartbreak

new style- not a lot of imagery and if there is it’s very literal, stream-of-conscious style writing, doesn’t necessarily fit into conventional melodys or song structures, topics are more about her mental struggles, family, and longing to settle down

id probably consider her old style more like “poetry turned into music” her new stuff feels more like her singing out of her diary (not necessarily in a bad way but that’s just the vibe I get lol) 

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

1 hour ago, Yeahyeahyeah said:

@ me next time sis.

But anyways, like I said, he *helped legitimize her as an artist and realize *her genius. I’m not saying he is solely responsible for her turning a new leaf in her career, but I do think their collaboration revealed a more sophisticated side of Lana’s artistry.

But yeah, I agree that it was a mutually beneficial relationship. There’s a reason all the indie girls in music (and even some men) flocked to Jack after NFR.

Love your contributions to this forum btw don’t take anything I say seriously.

Aw lol I didn’t feel the need to quote you because I did not want to wrongly ambush you, nor did I want to state any issue with your points at all! I think there are some other voices around here that definitely attribute Lana’s mastery solely to Jack and so I was speaking more generally to that phenomenon :-)

I totally agree about how Lana and Jack had this kind of partnership that marked a new artistic period in both of their careers, and you’re so right about how that snowballed the kind of work Jack did with other artists. 

And thank you! But I have to say - I will take what you say seriously because you are a valued member of this community, and everyone’s opinion (so long as it’s respectful and not meant to troll lol) is valued! <3

4 minutes ago, margaret soty said:
  Reveal hidden contents

not that supposed snippet of the interlude that is out there somewhere. 

:awkney:

:coffee:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°