Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful Loser

What makes you buy albums/merch?

I’m just curious what makes you guys purchase an item? Could be albums variants or merch.

I get that fear of missing out feeling, but that’s not enough for me to want to buy something. If I buy merch, I want to wear it too and if it’s not my style (like the A&W necklace), I’ll let it pass. If I buy Lana vinyls, I always try to get a colored version because I think they’re pretty and more fun to look at than the standard black ones. With CDs, I decided a few years ago to wait and buy much later for a lower price (if I’m only interested in the standard cover). Alternative cover art matter too, but most importantly it depends whether I think I’ll like an album a lot or not. With Norman, I was certain I was going to love it (and I do) so it felt ok to spend more money on getting more than one vinyl. But I wasn’t very hyped for Chemtrails at all so I didn’t even consider buying all those variants.

So I guess I’m not much of a collector because I do play my vinyls and I don’t really care if one variant will be more rare and valuable in the future. But sure, sometimes I kick myself for not getting the Love/LFL heart vinyl when I had the chance because I’ve seen how much they go on sale for online, but then again, they’re not my absolute favorite songs so I don’t really mind not owning it.

And with LDR Village... let’s just say I’ve seen enough comments online about their extremely late shipments to make me not consider buying from them at all.

I guess I’m just curious about this all because I know several people here will order from distant counties (I’ve done that too!), and sometimes even get a parcel forwarding service just to get access to regiones limited exclusives. (Which is something I really don’t like, because that means more money to spend, or scalpers can get those exclusives and sell for a higher price to fans who are desperate to get them... it just doesn’t feel fair to me.)

Discuss!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I agree that I definitely buy more merch if I like the feeling of the album. With vinyls and variants, I only buy them for a few select artists I love. I’m not a huge vinyl collector but I will buy all of Lana’s variants(excluding picture discs and 7” records) knowing I can chose my favorites after receiving them and still sell the ones I don’t love as much for at least retail price. When it comes to non music items I only buy them if I think I will love and use them. Sometimes if I really like something I’ll get two of it because I’m clumsy and hard on items and it never hurts to have a backup. Like the A&W necklace and the lighter. 
but ya I barely bought any merch items for Chemtrails or blue banisters, but have more than made up for it with this album release :hide:

Well, I grew up illegally downloading music every day since i was probably like 8. I'll buy physical copies because A) I feel bad for illegally downloading and B) I like holding the album even if I'm still using the digital files more often to listen. 

I'll buy merch of anyone I consider a top fav (so far I only have t shirts of Britney and Kesha and I bought a hoodie at the Palisades concert i was at on Saturday last week)

12 minutes ago, The Siren said:

Well, I grew up illegally downloading music every day since i was probably like 8. I'll buy physical copies because A) I feel bad for illegally downloading and B) I like holding the album even if I'm still using the digital files more often to listen.

Ooh, so did I, but rather than feeling guilty about it (I didn't really download any real music though, I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to do that lmao), I rather feel like... sure, I mostly stream my music but if it's an artist or band I really like a lot, or an album I enjoy pretty much all the songs in, I want to give a little extra support if I can by purchasing a physical copy of the album. :3

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I only buy the vinyl from my favourite artists because I like the physicality of ownership that comes with a record you can just put on in your living room. Everything else, like t-shirts or jewelry (as cool as they may be), I wouldn’t really wear anywhere lol.

I used to be really into collecting and merch but I find nowadays artists don't put as much effort into merch anymore or put effort into really random items that no one is ever gonna use of buy

For me to really want to buy merch these days it would have to be something quite special or something I'd wear or get use of often 

#freetoedit #lana#lanadelrey#honeymoon

For a while I would only buy clothing or accessories because I don't have a record player and CDs and cassettes would just take up space lol

I usually try to buy one CD or cassette from each of Lana's albums (with the cover I like the most) just to support the sales 

When there's a lot to choose from (LDR village) I will only buy things I actually like/would possibly wear, or might just be very unique, but if there's smaller amounts of merch (like the most recent drop) I'll buy the things that I do indeed like, but also things I know will be of high value later. Not to resell, but just to have as part of my collection 

Ocean blvd is the first album I've actually bought vinyls for, because I love the covers so much lol 

with CD's i like collecting them because i actually enjoy listening to them, as well of the fact that i find them charming

i tend to not usually collect vinyl but if i do buy vinyl it's either because it's not available on CD, supporting the artist, or there's something exclusive about it (such as an alternative cover or something)

i usually only buy merch i would wear

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

Owning and having the album in my hands gives me a sense of fulfillment, its like I truly own a copy of the album that a digital copy doesn't sate. Also vinyls and CD's are beautiful! Clothes and accessories are a plus, I'll only get them if I actually love the design and can justify the price.

Only apparel I've regretted are some clothes off ldrvillage :rip: My WAH hat isn't even legible, its so squished and downscaled and its embroidered on top of that :eartha:

1 hour ago, emliqua said:

Sometimes if I really like something I’ll get two of it because I’m clumsy and hard on items and it never hurts to have a backup. Like the A&W necklace and the lighter. 

You're making me paranoid now :creep:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

if an artist or album is important to me and/or i find the music super compelling i buy a vinyl copy, as a keepsake and to listen to on my record player at home. i think vinyl records are beautiful objects and i like to have something to look at/touch when i'm listening to the record, esp when it first comes out. i also want to support artists financially (esp if they're indie) and for me vinyl is the only purchasable option i care for. i love a box set but only buy them for my very favs and if the box set has cool extras (didn't buy the most recent lana box set, for example).

now that diff color variants are such a thing i'll tend to buy whichever variant i think is prettiest (i'm a sucker for pretty colors). i never buy multiple variants except for COCC (3 vinyls) and the new lana record (2), tho i do think i'll get rid of (sell/give away) and keep just one of each eventually.

as for merch, i have to like it/think it's cute to purchase; i'm not gonna buy something i won't wear/use. i am more likely to buy merch if an album is special to me; i like tchotchkes and keepsakes etc. i'm not a completist by any means, i def don't buy everything an artist releases re: merch, even from my very favs.

aOaIzH2.gif

Honestly, I'm SO incredibly picky with merch that I don't even know where to begin, sndfjsdf. But mainly I don't like just anyone knowing what I'm into so personally I like the kind of merch that's very "if you know, you know, and if you don't, then it's just a cute item" and that can be tough to nail. 

6 hours ago, rightofjupiter said:

if an artist or album is important to me and/or i find the music super compelling i buy a vinyl copy, as a keepsake and to listen to on my record player at home. i think vinyl records are beautiful objects and i like to have something to look at/touch when i'm listening to the record, esp when it first comes out. i also want to support artists financially (esp if they're indie) and for me vinyl is the only purchasable option i care for. i love a box set but only buy them for my very favs and if the box set has cool extras (didn't buy the most recent lana box set, for example).

now that diff color variants are such a thing i'll tend to buy whichever variant i think is prettiest (i'm a sucker for pretty colors). i never buy multiple variants except for COCC (3 vinyls) and the new lana record (2), tho i do think i'll get rid of (sell/give away) and keep just one of each eventually.

as for merch, i have to like it/think it's cute to purchase; i'm not gonna buy something i won't wear/use. i am more likely to buy merch if an album is special to me; i like tchotchkes and keepsakes etc. i'm not a completist by any means, i def don't buy everything an artist releases re: merch, even from my very favs.

Feel like I relate to this on a spiritual level :flutter: I've come to a point in my collection where I've found myself satisfied with where its at currently. So I've been very scarce with my purchases and really keep it limited to new releases. I'll allow maybe one extra variant of a album (but it better be a very exciting one :hooker:) Chemtrails was the era where I finally put down my foot for having bought too many variants. Already want to sell the extras but waiting for them to at least hit retail value :rip: Buuuut I do feel like Tunnel is the era to spend  Sdb9dls.jpg

32 minutes ago, Venice said:

Honestly, I'm SO incredibly picky with merch that I don't even know where to begin, sndfjsdf. But mainly I don't like just anyone knowing what I'm into so personally I like the kind of merch that's very "if you know, you know, and if you don't, then it's just a cute item" and that can be tough to nail. 

Would you say the A&W necklace accomplishes that? :gasp:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

5 hours ago, boom like that said:

Would you say the A&W necklace accomplishes that? :gasp:

It is a very cute necklace!! This is one those rare times where I wish it was even more specific/explicit LMAO I'm so complicated like, as an A&W (the franchise) whore, I'd like to visit discreetly :slayty: 

On 2/28/2023 at 5:02 PM, Beautiful Loser said:

I’m just curious what makes you guys purchase an item? Could be albums variants or merch.

fomo, fomo, fomo, retail therapy, financial irresponsibility (i say that as if i dont fund my life lol) impulsive decisions and dumbass-ness <3

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

well if I had money and if they sold merch here in the first place lol 

all I can do is buy a CD if I find it available here

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

clothes wise, i only rly get merch hoodies generally, and with vinyls i'll usually pick out one or two cool variants from an artist i casually listen to.. but with lana i literally buy every single thing she puts on sale just because she's lana and like.. that might be stupid but it makes me happy so i will continue to do so  :hooker: