Elle

Candy Necklace - Music Video [OUT NOW]

35 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

I think it's blood because we then get the sense her corpse is in the body trunk at the back of the car

Maybe alluding once more to Black Dahlia

Did you read my post  :gasp:  I said double entendre.. I understood the apparent blood diamond metaphor and Black Dahlia reference I was just saying I think there are more layers to this. This is very clearly one of Lana's most thought out videos ever. Every shot is thought out and has a meaning (imo)

I love everything about this video. There are so many tiny details to dive into, but one thing I really appreciate is how Jon's 'character' (for want of a better word) is recontextualised, from being this creepy presence in the original song, to being a fully positive force in the video (as the opposite of the nameless old creepy-guy). Also, that magical moment when they are at the top of the stairs sharing a joke/moment, and it's impossible to tell whether they're the 'actual' Jon and Lana, or the MV Jon and Lana, or if those categories exist at all.

Speaking of recontextualising - I think we all imagined the line about sitting on the sofa was about being wrecked at home, somewhat like a part 2 of 'Is This Happiness' or something, but seeing it as a therapists couch/seat changes the meaning again. Add to that it being Lana as Marilyn ...

:godlaugh:

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Has the symbolism of the actualy necklaces been discussed here? I never thought of it till this guy (who does amazing Lana reactions btw) talked about it, from 6:00 onwards. 

He noticed that wearing a necklace in every scene represents being owned or being bought and not being able to make your own decisions, then in the final scene as she is wearing no necklace, she is finally free. It's almost the most obvious thing in the video and I missed it! 

8 hours ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

the way it doesn't even have 1 million views yet is frustrating  :crying5:

It won't do well. We know that from the moment Candy Necklace was chosen. It's a very depressing song and people won't get it. Hell, even Music to Watch Boys to, which is not even that slow and has a great video, didn't do well - at the height of Lana's fame.

None of her videos with slow or depressing songs get views. Case in point: White Dress, Blue Banisters, Arcadia 1 and 2, White Mustang, Chemtrails, Venice Bitch, Let me Love you, etc....

People want BEATS (Beyonce). Or BIG ORCHESTRATIONS (Adele). What's why Born to Die did so well - because it had both!

Candy Necklace has none of those, hence it will end up with as low a view count as White Dress, or Chemtrails at best.

I’ve seen the video a few times now. It really is fucking amazing, one of her best. Definitely the best concept she’s had for a video, love the footage, LOVE the broken up song with all the extra piano segments. It’s really next level video making. This era creatively is so good. 

2 hours ago, Coney Island King said:

I’ve seen the video a few times now. It really is fucking amazing, one of her best. Definitely the best concept she’s had for a video, love the footage, LOVE the broken up song with all the extra piano segments. It’s really next level video making. This era creatively is so good. 

the video has again solidified that Lana had made the biggest contribution towards her art and legacy since Norman. I was iffy on whether Chemtrails was stronger due do the visuals but this video supersedes any of those.

In fact, it beats all of Norma's videos and Lust for Life's and Honeymoon. I'm gonna go ahead and call this her best video since UV's. Who's with me??

9 minutes ago, barttttender said:

In fact, it beats all of Norma's videos and Lust for Life's and Honeymoon. I'm gonna go ahead and call this her best video since UV's. Who's with me??

I think this is her best best video since Shades Of Cool.

1 hour ago, Del Norte County said:

I just don't know how to... not be like a robot, I just need to like ''shoot, shoot, shoot.. shoot shoot''. It's just like not working anymore for me. 

Is she saying we'll have more videos like Arcadia and BB if any? :derpna3:

23 minutes ago, barttttender said:

the video has again solidified that Lana had made the biggest contribution towards her art and legacy since Norman. I was iffy on whether Chemtrails was stronger due do the visuals but this video supersedes any of those.

A sign that a Lana video is great is that I want to get back to it many, many times to vibe with the song + visuals, and it elevated the song. 
Candy Necklace serves that and is a pure work of art. 
My faves from her are, in no particular order, National Anthem, Blue Velvet, Fuck It I Love You / The Greatest, Shades of Cool and Candy Necklace. 
Ride, COCC, BTD, MTWBT,  Love used to do that, but I don’t click with them as much these days. 

5 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

Is she saying we'll have more videos like Arcadia and BB if any? :derpna3:

I think it was supposed to be Marilyn saying it in the context of shooting movies, not Lana herself

1 minute ago, venicebitch said:

I think it was supposed to be Marilyn saying it in the context of shooting movies, not Lana herself

I kinda feel like it's both lmfao

How she described the BB era videos and also what she says in the CN visualizer... 

2 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRKfEmcW/

Like this is really who she is she's so iconic like it makes sense why she gets so frustrated when people question her authenticity she rly is miss authenticity 

This is interesting, I just watched the rest of his interview where he talks about Lana. Apparently the American Music Awards wanted him and Lana to open the show with a performance of Summertime Sadness on top of the tallest building in LA with an orchestra but she turned it down, she also turned down appearing at coachella with him. He also said that she blocked the release/radio promotion of his Young and Beautiful remix because it was on track to do even better than the summertime sadness remix but she didn't want that level of attenion and success. This makes sense with comments Lana made in her 2017 Complex interview where she said she didn't like that she had no involvement with the production of what is statistically her biggest hit and that she didn't want all the attention that came with a big hit song. Mind you this was happening in 2013 when Lana was peak depressed and recording Ultraviolence :toofunny:

tumblr_mx1rynpDqV1rh0xc7o1_500.gif

14 minutes ago, Rico25 said:

I kinda feel like it's both lmfao

How she described the BB era videos and also what she says in the CN visualizer... 

It's 1000% both. She's not only "portraying Marilyn" but portraying Marilyn because she sees herself in Marilyn. She's presenting the different sides of herself through these different hollywood legends (who never grow old) and their sad stories. She's identifying with them and making a defiant statement that she is not going to go down the path they did. Almost all of her music heavily touches on this thematically. But yeah I feel the BB era was portrayed a lot in the video (which she was writing since then so I'm not surprised about it) specifically with the middle finger and the "get out". It's a reference to the middle finger she gives at the end of Arcadia, an important song to her, where she tells the media to "get out" of her life. I'm so excited Lana made something like this. It's actually amazing I'm not fake excited like usual  :gasp:  

But "fake" excitement with lala is way better than "real" excitement with other artists so what do I know. But truly I think she thought this out so deeply. If you guys only watched a few times and were like "Eh, next" because of the behind the scenes filmmaking, try again

7 minutes ago, Good Intentions said:

I also occurred to me that each Hollywood personality she embodies represents a different album era. For example, in one of the last scenes where she gives the finger, that would obviously be the BB era.

I'm not sure it's this simple but I do think that she represented diff "eras" with diff parts of the video. Like I think the beginning of her walking into the house is Lizzy (A: the BTS shot of the leaves being purposefully blown into the shot then the shot being shown beautifully is beautifully metaphorical B the pretty trees behind her when she's "driving", which end up being fake too lol, may be representative of Lake Placid).. At the beginning she actually seems excited, she's going to LA and she's gonna make it! Then, it cuts to the director saying "Lana that was cool" like not understanding the full message, and Lana understanding that and smiling and putting on a show behind the scenes.. which is the point! That behavior is exactly what she sees in Marilyn, etc. that she represents in the video

But the video is a powerful statement of acknowledgement. She's like I know what you think of me and why you think it so take this video and fuck off LOL.

On 5/11/2023 at 3:55 AM, fl0r1dakil0s said:

1:21:04

She literally had the entire thing thought out.. she was talking about making the video and that it was so triggering that she had to stop writing it. It really is as deep as we're interpreting it to be she's just a genius  :crying5:

Again let's acknowledge she has been WRITING THIS SINCE THE BLUE BANISTERS ERA.. give the woman her flowers

3 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRKfEmcW/

Like this is really who she is she's so iconic like it makes sense why she gets so frustrated when people question her authenticity she rly is miss authenticity 

thank god she never gave more attention to that atrocious remix. I love her so much :wowcry:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg