Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Why does margaret sound like it was recorded in the lowest possible quality, that chorus sounds terrible, it's so tinny

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Just now, margaret soty said:

Fishtail you mean. That song sounds like LQ. :eek2:

i mean, at least it has some bass though :true:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

4 hours ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

I’m sorry, but Fingertips is unlistenable. Kintsugi, which is longer, mind you, is much better and easier to listen to. It’s funny because when listening to them, I’ve always thought Fingertips is the longer song.

Fingertips is very repetitive melodically and gets very grating. I feel like it would benefit from a dramatic pause with additional sound effects and production to match (birds chirping, waterfalls, wind sounds, etc.). Just make it like a full-on movie monologue scene with an interruption that something else is happening while she’s singing to herself, then back to the song so it’s not just one huge clump of words. like a musical number interrupting a scene. With this one, it should be the reverse. Something interrupts her singing, then she goes back to singing. Unfortunately, they didn’t do that. I actually think the "mother" censor is really good. It gives the listener relief from the word vomit. I wish there were more pauses like that.

Thank you! I have a ranking list of all LDR songs, and this "song" is at the bottom of the pile. Like, right where "Coachella," "The Other Woman", ":"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and that god-awful "You'll Never Walk Alone" cover. These are literally unlistenable to me. I will skip them till the end of time.

5 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Thank you! I have a ranking list of all LDR songs, and this "song" is at the bottom of the pile. Like, right where "Coachella," "The Other Woman", ":"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and that god-awful "You'll Never Walk Alone" cover. These are literally unlistenable to me. I will skip them till the end of time.

I like all those songs 💀 what’s so awful about those covers? The Nina ones aren’t ones I’d typically play outside the album but they make sense in context and are essential to the full album. 

you’ll never walk alone has some of her best acapella vocals too

I don’t think fingertips is unlistenable it’s just not that good besides it’s lyricism it’s very boring 

Not sure if it’s been discussed.. what we think the candy necklaces represent in the song 

my husband turned around and said to him it reads like women- like eye candy, a string of women. And she’s singing about a guy who she’s madly in love with but he’s constantly unfaithful.. I thought that’s such an interesting take.. and it hadn’t came to me but it makes sooooo much sense! 

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

20 minutes ago, barttttender said:

I like fingertips and kintsugi lyrically, but to me they honestly sound like interludes or poems. Idk, I feel like that was kind of what Lana intended them to be too...

1 minute ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

Not sure if it’s been discussed.. what we think the candy necklaces represent in the song 

my husband turned around and said to him it reads like women- like eye candy, a string of women. And she’s singing about a guy who she’s madly in love with but he’s constantly unfaithful.. I thought that’s such an interesting take.. and it hadn’t came to me but it makes sooooo much sense! 

that is so interesting, I still don't quite know what I think the candy necklace means:um2:

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

This album is a masterpiece. Not totally sure if it’s my number 2 album from her or if it sits by Norman’s throne at number 1. Or if even it dethrones Norman. I still need a couple of weeks to know for sure. 

only flaws:

- the Judas Interlude, that I’ve talked about in length and won’t bore anyone by repeating myself. But since I got the instrumental version without the preach, all is there to eerily tie the music to A&W and Candy Necklace;

- Fingertips… the lyrics and orchestra are superb… but she might be lingering a bit too long on her « head voice » without any switch ups. :um2: Not that it’s ugly, it sure adds to the imperfect vibe of the song, but it might just be a bit too long? I never skip the song though, can’t believe we got this personal track from her and how Drew managed to bring that one to life;

- not a deterrent but both A&W and Kintsugi’s singing parts sound like shit in a car, at the beginning, almost

muffled. Lana sounds as if she is recording from a can. 

6 minutes ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

:gclap::oprah:

9 hours ago, BartenderDeco said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but if you don’t enjoy her slower and stripped back music you might as well unstan. since 2019 we’ve been going through this same cycle where they keep trashing the album because it has piano ballads? you can be a fan of her old albums or whatever but take your negative energy somewhere else. it’s her new style and you’re gonna have to put up with it

:oprah3:

😋🫶🏼

Does anyone else feel like the single cuts Pale to the album gems like Candy necklace, let the light in and Paris, Texas- I honestly think all the single choices are odd besides A&W(the second half starting with the gimme more beat would have been a cute interlude) which whilst I don’t like can see why it was chosen.