Embach

"Norman Fucking Rockwell" & "Chemtrails Over The Country Club" Album Recording/Writing Timeline + Creative Process Discussion

I think that the last song (or one of the last) recorded for COTCC was Dark But Just A Game, because she said in an interview for MOJO (in 2021) that the Oscars 2020 Afterparty inspired her to write that song:

"A year or so ago, Del Rey attended a party with Jack Antonoff and St. Vincent at the house of Guy Oseary, manager of Madonna and U2. “Something happened,” she says, “kind of a situation like – never meet your idols. And I just thought, ‘I think it’s interesting that the best musicians end up in such terrible places.’ I thought to myself, ‘I’m going to try my best not to change because I love who I am.’ I said, ‘Jack, it’s dark.’ And he said, ‘Well, it’s dark – but I mean, it’s just a game.’” The incident inspires a song on Chemtrails - Dark But Just A Game"

JR-1-1.jpg

Although we know that the song samples Bird World too, but I still think it's the last song recorded for the album because the afterparty was on Feb 9th, 2020 and quite soon after that quarantine happened. If I'm not wrong, other COTCC songs (except Yosemite, which was recorded in 2016-2017) were recorded during the NFR Tour (like the Nikki and Zella, Weyes collabs and Dance Till We Die, White Dress?) and other songs were recorded during the NFR sessions or after the release of NFR (Not All Who Wander, COTCC, Wild At Heart, Tulsa Jesus Freak, Let Me Love You). She could've changed the songs during the quarantine and after the Sean breakup, who knows.

url%5D

i'm honestly living for these timeline/creative process threads :true: it's so interesting finding out more about how all of these albums came to be

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

Also, in my head, it makes sense that How to Disappear and Wild at Heart were done around the same time when Jack was producing the instrumental, which is why both are written for Joe, so I don't think that WAH necessarily samples HTD, but it's just that she created two songs with the same instrumental at the same time. 

But idk, I don't know or have the recording times

image.png

31 minutes ago, lmdr said:

I've always seen Chemtrails as an extension of NFR, like its own "Paradise Edition", mainly because it uses tracks that were started during NFR sessions. 

Honestly, I think I'd appreciate Chemtrails more if it was an appendage of NFR like BTD/Paradise.

41 minutes ago, lmdr said:

I've always seen Chemtrails as an extension of NFR, like its own "Paradise Edition", mainly because it uses tracks that were started during NFR sessions. 

Tbh I think that was lowkey the OG vibe, I think White Hot Forever very much seems like the land to NFR’s sea if that makes sense lol

34 minutes ago, Crazy Husband Stealer said:

And what a tragedy it is that she changed the title. :crai:

she was starting her 'the longer the titles the edgier' era. Naming a song based on a Tolkien quote is definitely something she would do :eek2:

41 minutes ago, americangothic said:

she was starting her 'the longer the titles the edgier' era. Naming a song based on a Tolkien quote is definitely something she would do :eek2:

Imagine she had called Yosemite as "We Did It for Fun - We Did It For Free"

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

2 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

do we really need a thread fir every album

yes (except bb cause i don think this album has any interesting story behind it (love it tho (i dont accept any bb slander (thats just facts))))

archiving any ldr-related stuff I can find (like, literally)

LANA DEL REY TRACKER

last.fm

163c956c5fc19ea25e79f89d6eec3b83.gif

when it comes out that there was actually a whole scrapped album of unleaked songs in between nfr and cotcc called "wanderlust" recorded during quarantine then what

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

48 minutes ago, ImenaOphelia said:

yes (except bb cause i don think this album has any interesting story behind it (love it tho (i dont accept any bb slander (thats just facts))))

Banisters definitely needs a one because it had an original concept Rock Candy Sweet and scrapped it when she met Erickson or something

url%5D