Strangelove

Fans suffering from "Unreleased Syndrome"

7 minutes ago, syrup amour said:

Oh this is sooo true. I probably can sometimes even suffer from it. I be thought about this, though I’ve never really called it anything. I’ve thought, listening to some of her low quality songs, that if this was released people wouldn’t be so obsessed.

4 minutes ago, syrup amour said:

I feel like this may originate from the instinct that is very much human, to want what you can’t have. Or want what’s exclusive, that feeds into some form of individuality complex. However ofc, it’s not always the case. But I’ve often found myself thinking that if some of her releases more unpopular songs were released, people would like them a lot more. However, the lust for life demo will always stand superior

This is essentially what I have been trying to say. It's puzzling why some fans are having a hard time resonating with this. Thanks for this post syrup armor. I am going to send you a "follow". 

1 minute ago, Strangelove said:

This is essentially what I have been trying to say. Its puzzling why some fans are having a hard time resonating with this. Thanks for this post syrup armor. I am going to send you a "follow". 

Haha thank you :wub:

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

Just now, Strangelove said:

Again, this isn't a thread about how fans prefer her unreleased music or listen to it. It is about my personal theory and ideas as to how biases and impression may form this tendency. Also another user syrup armor and other users have expressed that they agree with me, and they don't dislike people who listen to unreleased music. 

I enjoy her unreleased music. I prefer Melancholia to Ultraviolence myself.

you seem to be arguing that the reason why fans may prefer a demo version over a released version is because of some sort of unconscious bias or some sort of psychological effect, i'm sorry but that premise is really silly and at the end of the day it isn't that deep, sometimes people just like what they like, especially if the demo version is quite different from the released version, somebody preferring the demo version of the next best american record doesn't feel that way because they're unconsciously biased, it's because the demo version has qualities that they prefer, we all have unique, individual tastes, and while our tastes may be influenced by a lot of different factors, i just think there's no good reason to psycho-analyze why we like the music we do

𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝓀𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝓂𝒶𝓇𝒾𝓁𝓎𝓃 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒿𝑜𝒶𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝒶𝓇𝒸

𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝒶𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝓌𝑜𝓂𝒶𝓃 𝒷𝑒𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑒 𝑜𝓇 𝒶𝒻𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒹𝒶𝓇𝓀

𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓃 𝓂𝓎 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝑒𝓎 𝒾𝓈𝓁𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎

Just now, Surf Noir said:

you seem to be arguing that the reason why fans may prefer a demo version over a released version is because of some sort of unconscious bias or some sort of psychological effect, i'm sorry but that premise is really silly and at the end of the day it isn't that deep, sometimes people just like what they like, especially if the demo version is quite different from the released version, somebody preferring the demo version of the next best american record doesn't feel that way because they're unconsciously biased, it's because the demo version has qualities that they prefer, we all have unique, individual tastes, and while our tastes may be influenced by a lot of different factors, i just think there's no good reason to psycho-analyze why we like the music we do

Okay. I respect your opinion. :thankyou:.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :thankyou:.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

It also just adds to the (extremely annoying) arguments about who’s “taste” is better lmao

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Kinda have to agree with this thread. I don’t know it it’s a syndrome, if there are any psychological reasons to it (I’m calling many unreleased songs « the one that got away »). 

I never find a demo superior to the officially released song except for Pink Champagne (I won’t repeat myself again, I discussed it at length in its own thread).  Other demos can bring something new and unexpected but they really rarely are better, to me, than their official version (what can I say? I just love finished songs :true:). 
as for unreleased songs that got tossed away… 

UV era had many songs that were very good or excellent that didn’t make the Final Cut, but the album works best and tells the best story the way it was told, with the songs of the final track list. As for the many comments « She should have included that one on the album and it could have replaced X song », it might have to do with the excitement of something new from an era we loved so much. The excitement tends to fade away though. :delish:

10 hours ago, crazyforyou said:

I honestly agree with this, everyone seemed to be obsessed with Cherry Blossom and Living Legend before they were released. But now it seems everyone has turned against them, since they’re two of the least streamed songs on the album (along with Nectar Of The Gods but it wasn’t as well-liked as the other two even before its release). Some have argued that it’s because they didn’t get a proper rework like Thunder, but it looks like the popular opinion is that the demo for Thunder is better. Honestly Blue Banisters made me think about this unreleased syndrome thing for awhile, because it looks like a lot of the fandom just prefers what she didn’t release.

Just this afternoon, after having received my unreleased vinyl, I thought how much I love "living legend". I only don't like it on the BB album because it needs it's own album or compilation. Same for cherry blossom and wild one. 

IMG-20230626-140548.jpg 

I also think many people love unreleased songs because they appreciate them more as lucky findings ("we almost never got them, if they hadn't leaked" etc). 

I also experienced this with a few songs myself, but especially regarding Lana's songs I'd say most of them I just love for what they are, regardless their unreleased status.

And depending on the compilation, Demo A might fit better than Demo B for example, or better than a released version. For this compilation for example posted I chose songs sounding a bit like something between UV - Honeymoon, for another compilation inspired by a bit more jazz style the demo for million dollar man is perfect.

So I guess sometimes this unreleased effect might work, sonetimes other reasons make us like a song more than a released one. 

It was expensive watch it 

I will never not be amazed at how many things start discography arguments :air: Anyways, I'm one of the odd people that prefers the released versions of a handful of songs we have demos for or that were unreleased and changed for their release (mainly Thunder final version, love her :heart:)

imageproxy.jpg

Not everybody on the internet needs to be a faux psychologist. 

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

I think we're ultimately trying to equate hype for leaks with favoritism of leaks. They're very different, imo. Do we overhype leaks (and leakers :judgingu:)? Yes. Does that mean we're psychologically biased to make our favorite Lana songs leaks? No. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

Just now, Olympia said:

Just this afternoon, after having received my unreleased vinyl, I thought how much I love "living legend". I only don't like it on the BB album because it needs it's own album or compilation. Same for cherry blossom and wild one. 

IMG-20230626-140548.jpg 

I also think many people love unreleased songs because they appreciate them more as lucky findings ("we almost never got them, if they hadn't leaked" etc). 

I also experienced this with a few songs myself, but especially regarding Lana's songs I'd say most of them I just love for what they are, regardless their unreleased status.

And depending on the compilation, Demo A might fit better than Demo B for example, or better than a released version. For this compilation for example posted I chose songs sounding a bit like something between UV - Honeymoon, for another compilation inspired by a bit more jazz style the demo for million dollar man is perfect.

So I guess sometimes this unreleased effect might work, sonetimes other reasons make us like a song more than a released one. 

Yes, totally agree! I honestly notice this in myself sometimes too, especially with demos of songs on albums that we have that at first I prefer, but then I think “do I really like this more, or is it just new and I almost didn’t even hear it?”. 

I do agree about Blue Banisters though, I think even Lana herself realizes it’s a bit of a mess. Although I do love it a lot (more than most fans on the forum it seems :() but it really doesn’t make sense how she would put songs from Ultraviolence era that didn’t get a rework with brand new songs like WW/Text Book/etc.

I wonder if people would appreciate Living Legend, Nectar, And Cherry Blossom more if they were on some unreleased collection or if they did get a full rework like Thunder. It’s hard to know, because people loved Dealer without a rework but prefer the Thunder demo. I thought before the release of Ocean Blvd that maybe that’s why she didn’t put any unreleased songs on the record, I wonder if it’s a lot of pressure to decide whether to rework songs or not. 

pskiQfS.jpeg

Your wife waters flowers, I wanna kill her 

Some demos really are just better than the album versions… like these 3 in particular are often hyped up, and for good reason. I'd definitely feel the same if it was the other way around

This thread is a proof that Lana has an amazing discography and it helps unite fans through interesting discussions! :true:

url%5D

16 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Not everybody on the internet needs to be a faux psychologist. 

May I ask, if the topic doesn't interest you, why not just read and move on? I'm having trouble finding where this bitterness is originating. I do not even remember interacting with you before on the forum. 

2 minutes ago, Strangelove said:

May I ask, if the topic doesn't interest you, why not just read and move on? I'm having trouble finding where this bitterness is originating. I do not even remember interacting with you before on the forum. 

There's a first to everything :hooker:

Nothing against you though

the only demo that’s better than the released is freak, all the other demo’s genuinely sound super empty rough drafts - lfl demo’s scrapped verses are really good but with that production it’s simply boring and i prefer the released. 

i feel like that towards a lot of said demos that are “better” than the released songs, they just are not that good…

1 minute ago, Honeytrails said:

the only demo that’s better than the released is freak, all the other demo’s genuinely sound super empty rough drafts - lfl demo’s scrapped verses are really good but with that production it’s simply boring and i prefer the released. 

i feel like that towards a lot of said demos that are “better” than the released songs, they just are not that good…

Yep!!