Lana to be featured on 'Life Lesson' from Jon Batiste's new album - Out Now

Jon Batiste album is panned by Pitchfork. (5.6)

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/jon-batiste-world-music-radio/

The jazz multi-instrumentalist wants to unite the world in song. But his new album collapses the wide-ranging possibilities of global music into something for everyone and no one.

Unsurprisingly, doesn't even mention the lackluster collab.

I'll write it off to being a favor to Jon Batiste for his input on OB. Thank you, next!

On 8/19/2023 at 12:40 PM, bluechemtrails said:

again she forgot to promote the song :hide:

The song is really best not be promoted much. Not surprised she doesn't want it on socials.

Ugh, this is a bit off topic but I’ve met Jon and he is just the loveliest person and such an incredible musician. Seriously can’t say enough great things about him. So it sucks that his album is getting the reviews it’s getting and sucks even more that they bring up valid points. I attended his album release concert and the songs from the album just sound unreal live. What a shame they were polished to death for the album. 

As for Life Lessons, I think he just wanted that Lana feature and she probably cleared it for the album to be a good friend. It’s clearly a Lana song (with lowkey crazy lyrics) and a reject at that. I’m not surprised she’s not promoting it given the lyrics, especially after the Hyde Park thing. And unfortunately, it would be a completely different and way better song if they had used the same mics, but I’ll blame Lana for that. 

On 8/18/2023 at 2:44 PM, HT71 said:

I like it, but it feels like 2 different songs. It's almost like Jon wrote and recorded his own twee lyrics after the fact over a Lana song. Their voices kinda don't go well together on this song IMO. But I like it enough to play it and maybe it'll grow on me more.

UPDATE: I haven't played it since, lol. 

8 hours ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

I didn’t even give the song one full listen. Just before halfway in there was a bit where the vocal/melody sounded so jarring that I just cringed and turned it off and didn’t go back. :hair:

it's awful.

just a favor to the guy clearly, she didn't spend more than 2 seconds on it, I'm sure

Enough time has passed to reevalue the song a bit. The first lines sung by Jon really are basic lyrics but the rest is very good. Also not a big fan of the last line ending the song a bit abruptly, but it’s not that bad either.

Not CN type of tier, but not unpleasant (it’s in a couple of my playlists and I won’t take it out but won’t replay the song either). Hollywood Bowl is still a bit better than that one to me. 

2 hours ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Enough time has passed to reevalue the song a bit. The first lines sung by Jon really are basic lyrics but the rest is very good. Also not a big fan of the last line ending the song a bit abruptly, but it’s not that bad either.

Not CN type of tier, but not unpleasant (it’s in a couple of my playlists and I won’t take it out but won’t replay the song either). Hollywood Bowl is still a bit better than that one to me. 

HB is miles better.

Is anyone still listening to this song lmao? 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

3 hours ago, taco truck said:

Probably not because it’s not great:bebe: 

kinda crazy that she lets songs like lost at sea, which sits at the very bottom of her songs on iTunes as her least played song (and rightfully so), you'll never walk alone (unlistenable with her worst ever vocals) and the atrocious Life Lesson see the light of day, when she's got tracks like Hollywood, Serial Killer, Fine China and so many others just sitting on her computer.

I agree You'll Never Walk Alone has bad vocals, not because of her voice itself, but because of the technique, it sounds unnatural to me.

On 8/18/2023 at 7:53 AM, SuperMegaStan said:

so instead of complaining, let me do a quick ranking

GOD TIER

Wait for Life

Stargirl Interlude

Hollywood Bowl

GREAT TIER

Riverside

Prisoner

Woman

Buddy's Rendezvous

Ridin'

GOOD TIER

Hallucinogenics

Secret Life

Dayglo Reflection

Snow on the Beach

Life Lesson

OKish TIER

God Save Our Young Blood

Lost at Sea

-----------

HELL TIER

Don't Call Me Angel

for now

:godlaugh:

Don't Call Me Angel was so so bad I can't believe that song happened.

tumblr_n9t9baKLaK1sj5r1lo1_500.gif

i think this is actually really good. i finally got around to listening to it. the lyrics are heavenly and she sounds gorgeous. i really relate to it in a lot of ways so it makes me sad to see so many not liking it at all, but what can ya do? everybody has an opinion yknow?

giphy.gif