Elle

LDR10 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

5 minutes ago, West Coast said:

Well love that for her actually, doesn't mean everything they do together is fire though. She hardly got out of her comfort zone on DYKTTATUB though, while I think it's one of her best and most beautiful album it was very much a medley of her past four projects (Violet included). It was done very well, but it's definitely not the boundary pushing project you're describing.

I think that depends on what boundaries you are considering. Sonically it may not have broken fully new ground (though I don't see that as a criticism at all, the whole thing sounds stunning) but from a storytelling perspective I would say it was very much boundary pushing and showcased her creativity in amazing ways. She centered the album around a comparison to herself to an abandoned tunnel, and then structured the album in a way that took us on a ride through said tunnel, reaching the darkest emotional peaks of her whole career with the gut punch of Kintsugi/Fingertips before bringing us to an unexpectedly strange ending on the other side. She took so many different sounds and blended them all into a very cohesive and impactful journey. No one else could have pulled off what she did on this album and it's a testament to the different ways in which an artist can be unpredictable.

20 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I think that depends on what boundaries you are considering. Sonically it may not have broken fully new ground (though I don't see that as a criticism at all, the whole thing sounds stunning) but from a storytelling perspective I would say it was very much boundary pushing and showcased her creativity in amazing ways. She centered the album around a comparison to herself to an abandoned tunnel, and then structured the album in a way that took us on a ride through said tunnel, reaching the darkest emotional peaks of her whole career with the gut punch of Kintsugi/Fingertips before bringing us to an unexpectedly strange ending on the other side. She took so many different sounds and blended them all into a very cohesive and impactful journey. No one else could have pulled off what she did on this album and it's a testament to the different ways in which an artist can be unpredictable.

That's been my point since the getgo though. I have literally never once brought up her lyricism or storytelling, or abilities as a storyteller. The only thing I have ever criticized from her artistic relationship with Jack is that her sound has hardly evolved since NFR. Almost all his tracks will feature a tinny piano melody, or tinny electronic beats, and/or muffled guitar, bass, percussions and vocals. People like what they like, I prefer a big, more detailed, production or a properly mixed/less muddy sound to these muffled tunes. I recognized several times that Jack has made career highlight songs with her, but I'm personally not impressed by most of his input, sorry not sorry. And newsflash, I love Ocean Blvd, but you can love an artist and not think everything they do is godsent.

People are allowed to feel like, at least sonically, she's been serving réchauffé.

This is not an echo chamber. Salut!

35 minutes ago, West Coast said:

There is nothing wrong with wanting Lana to venture out to her comfort zone. People have talked in length about how Lana has evolved, and is evolving as an artist and how important that is. But working with the same people for several album is hardly artistic growth. A little cognitive dissonance moment. :creepna3:

the beatles had the same producer for all their albums except let it be and they're probably the biggest example of an artist or band going thru a lot of artistic growth. tying an artist's artistic growth to whoevwr they're working with takes away all the credit the artist deserves for thwir own growth. its just another way of claiming that jack's in the drivers seat when it comes to lana's music. yes its good to be pushed out of your comfort zone as an artist (to an extent bc you still wanna make art that reflects what you want it to be) but you don't need to switch producers evwry album to do that. lana's artistic growth seems to be directly tied to what's going on in her life. so yeah chemtrails and blue banisters didn't reinvent her sound (but they also weren't rehashes of norman like people like to claim) but it was rhe pandemic and she wasn't going out getting new and exciting experiences to inspire her. but at the same time, this is lana and we all know before she was famous she already experimented with pretty much any sound you could imagine so there's not a whole lot of new ground to tread and she already went thru lots of artistic growth and reinvention before she hit it big so it makes sense that she found somewhere comfortable and keeps returning to it like its the musical

home she was looking for and finally found

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

7 minutes ago, West Coast said:

That's been my point since the getgo though. I have literally never once brought up her lyricism or storytelling, or abilities as a storyteller. The only thing I have ever criticized from her artistic relationship with Jack is that her sound has hardly evolved since NFR. Almost all his tracks will feature a tinny piano melody, or tinny electronic beats, and/or muffled guitar, bass, percussions and vocals. People like what they like, I prefer a big, more detailed, production or a properly mixed/less muddy sound to these muffled tunes. I recognized several times that Jack has made career highlight songs with her, but I'm personally not impressed by most of his input, sorry not sorry. And newsflash, I love Ocean Blvd, but you can love and artist and not think everything they do is godsent.

People are allowed to feel like, at least sonically, she's been serving réchauffé.

This is not an echo chamber. Salut!

:mariah:thank u
0Fw0_T7ujYc.jpg?size=512x512&quality=96&

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

Just now, wilting daisy said:

the beatles had the same producer for all their albums except let it be and they're probably the biggest example of an artist or band going thru a lot of artistic growth. tying an artist's artistic growth to whoevwr they're working with takes away all the credit the artist deserves for thwir own growth. its just another way of claiming that jack's in the drivers seat when it comes to lana's music. yes its good to be pushed out of your comfort zone as an artist (to an extent bc you still wanna make art that reflects what you want it to be) but you don't need to switch producers evwry album to do that. 

I think you're bringing up a very interesting example, but the thing is none of the Beatles' albums sound the same. They literally all sound different.

I think everybody who has time to spend arguing here should consider seeking employment or perhaps engaging in an offline hobby or quality time with loved ones.

As for what I want from the next album, I want a continuation of OB, not necessarily in sound but thematically. Maybe it's because all the themes on OB just happened to coincide with everything that was on my mind a lot at the time of its release but I'd really love even more songs about family, motherhood, legacy, everything she was on about on OB. Don't even care about the genre or sound, though would prefer something that accommodates the wordiness of OB-style lyrics. If that's yet more piano ballads, so be it.

2 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I think you're bringing up a very interesting example, but the thing is none of the Beatles' albums sound the same. They literally all sound different.

yes and they always worked with the same producer. that's my point. its not a producer's place to create artistic growth. their albums were al different bc they pushed themselves. so if you think lana hasn't grown artistically while working with jack, that's on lana. and the thing is she has been working with othwr producers too and she makes the same kind of music with them that she makes with jack which shows that its just lana choosing to stay where she is. at this point if a producer tried to push her into a direction she didn't like, she wouldn't wanna work with them anymore and the songs probably wouldn't get released. but thwn even with jack she has still grown artistically. he just doesn't force her to do something different and instead lets her come to it naturally. like with jack she made a&w and that was authentic artistic growth bc she came to it on her own and he just helped bring it to life which is all his job as a producer is.

I'm not a Jack stan but he can still do good stuff like White Dress, COTCC, AW, Venice, Mariners songs. Also I love his production for Taylor and Lorde.

But most of the decisions are made by Lana. Jack just does what Lana says or helps to express her ideas better for lyrics and shit like that. 

If you wanna blame someone, blame Lana but you shouldn't because it's not getting us anywhere.

url%5D

Speaking on the nature of modern producers, I recently found out that Hans Zimmer can't read music, and Rick Rubin has basically no technical ability to play any instrument.

That being said, Jack is exemplary for a multitude of reasons and seems like a pretty chill dude, which is always a plus. 

really hoping that lana collaborates with a producer who will push her out of her comfort zone. i think that's when her art shines the most and is the most impressive and unpredictable :bored:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

If you met Lana, would you honestly tell her that you believe her producer doesn't push her enough? 

Do you believe pushing her would get the results you want, or would it just cause more problems?

Some people don't respond well to being pushed, and actually perform worse because of it. Which is why you should stick with yo friends who like you for you and aren't trying to change you, and whom are people you feel comfortable around. 

8 minutes ago, Rivers said:

If you met Lana, would you honestly tell her that you believe her producer doesn't push her enough? 

Do you believe pushing her would get the results you want, or would it just cause more problems?

Some people don't respond well to being pushed, and actually perform worse because of it. Which is why you should stick with yo friends who like you for you and aren't trying to change you, and whom are people you feel comfortable around. 

idk it worked for dan auerbach :um2:

some people need pushing creativity to expose layers they didnt know they had artistically. thats not to say lana isnt an incredible writer and musician without being pushed, because she is. but what could be if her and jack helped eachother in that respect? idk 

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

if lana is pushed out of her comfort zone, i hope its her pushing herself. i don't like the idea of producers pushing artists and forcing them to abandon thwir artistic vision in favour of something the producer thinks is better or edgier or more groundbreaking. i don't want some self-important guy's vision of lana's art, i want lana's vision of her own art brought to life by any producer willing to respect that vision. if she chooses to experiment and try something new on her own, i'm here for it and if she wants to generally keep to where she's comfortable and just try new things within that comfort zone, i know i'm still gonna love it. 

Manifesting peppers breakdown surf sound

manifesting ear worm bridges like let the light in

manifesting vocals clear and Center stage like the grants

manifesting a new sound scape all together 

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...