Sign in to follow this  
Embach

Unpopular Literature Opinions

Share your unpopular opinion on literature!

Β 

I think it wouldΒ be a fair and full circle moment if Lana, world, life, movies, internet, video games and literature have their all unpopular opinion threads. I mean, this is a forumΒ :teehee:

url%5D

s-l400.jpg

Is a perfect book. When I was little I rented my copy back to back, Sometimes late fees.

Well IΒ decided I wanted to keep Mine after like 5 years, So I bought a new copy to give to the library in exchange for mine…

If you see a copy, Definitely pick it up!

IMG-3521.jpg

i prefer digital books (ie kindle) to physical ones. they’reΒ easier to hold, and i like to lay down while i read. if it gets dark iΒ don’t need to turn any lights on. you can also do a lot more things, like hold down a word to see its definition or change the font and size. i only buy physicalΒ books if they’re all time favorites or nonfictions that i want to reference again. otherwise i’m saving money and shelf space.Β 

the only time i buy books physically before reading them first is if i feel that’s necessary - typically for really long books or ones that have a lot of illustrations and stuff.Β 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

β €β € β €β € β €β € β €β € Β β €Β Β Β  Β  Β  Β  β € Β  Β  :Β¨ Β·.Β· Β¨:

β €β € β €β € β €β € β €β € Β  β € Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β `Β· . κ”«

how many of these are we gonna haveΒ :air:

Β 

next up: unpopular ikea strawberry cream candleΒ opinions

Β 

jk teehee tbh i don’t read as much as i want to but i’m gonna get a kindle to rectify that

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23Β - 10/7/23

Many prominentΒ male authors write about women in an overtly sexual manner for no reason and it bugs

Stephen King and George R R Martin come to mind

If female authors wrote about men the way most male authors write about women it'd be like, "he strutted into the room for the meeting,Β his shirt clinging to his sculpted form, his perky penis evident throughΒ his beige chinos" and I feel like that would be poorly received but it's somehow overlookedΒ when men write the equivalent about women

/end rant

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

1 minute ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

he strutted into the room for the meeting,Β his shirt clinging to his sculpted form, his perky penis evident throughΒ his beige chinos

more plsΒ :oopna2:

⊹ (:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…[Μ²Μ…:β™‘:]Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…) ⊹ 

π“Š”Β I took the miracle move on drugΒ π“Š”

βš•οΈΒ The effects were temporaryΒ βš•οΈ

⊹ (:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…[Μ²Μ…:β™‘:]Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…:Μ²Μ…) ⊹ 

Short stories are the best form of fiction. Almost no novel needs to be as long as it is. I like when things are dense, because you know things are only mentioned because they're highly important.

14 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Many prominentΒ male authors write about women in an overtly sexual manner for no reason and it bugs

Stephen King and George R R Martin come to mind

If female authors wrote about men the way most male authors write about women it'd be like, "he strutted into the room for the meeting,Β his shirt clinging to his sculpted form, his perky penis evident throughΒ his beige chinos" and I feel like that would be poorly received but it's somehow overlookedΒ when men write the equivalent about women

/end rant

reddit.com/r/menwritingwomen

Β 157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

Glad I skipped the YA novel era.

I know books are always better, but when i did check out some of the movies adapted from YA novels, all of them seemed so overrated with cringe romances. I know the audience is for teens, but I was never even interested as a teen :ohno:

8 hours ago, genghis khan said:

Short stories are the best form of fiction. Almost no novel needs to be as long as it is. I like when things are dense, because you know things are only mentioned because they're highly important.

I couldn't agree more with this. 90% of books should be no longer than 100 pages (very, VEEEEEERY rarely they deserve more).

I have the same opinion of movies, though - 90% of movies should be restricted to 40 minutes in length, andΒ  you should have to justify going longer than that.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

this reminded me to start reading. i need to find some good books. i just get boredΒ easily when it’s super longΒ 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ΰ£ͺ Λ–  𝒸𝒢𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢 π“Œπ’Άπ“‹π‘’ 𝒢𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒢𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π“ˆπ“Œπ‘’π‘’π“‰π“ƒπ‘’π“ˆπ“ˆΒ β‚ŠΛš.ΰΌ„

When the smoke clears (i.e., significant time elapses), science-fiction, fantasy, and horror are going to be recognized as the most important fiction of the 20th century. It all sort of depends on civilization not ending, of course. I'm not sure about the 21st century, where role-playing games might significantly compete. On the third hand, literature might have its own "extinction event", if it's primarily written by AIs in the future.

1 hour ago, b0rn2die said:

this reminded me to start reading. i need to find some good books. i just get boredΒ easily when it’s super longΒ 

what genres are you interested in? i could try to recommend some shorter/faster paced books.

edit: also what books have you liked before?

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

β €β € β €β € β €β € β €β € Β β €Β Β Β  Β  Β  Β  β € Β  Β  :Β¨ Β·.Β· Β¨:

β €β € β €β € β €β € β €β € Β  β € Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β `Β· . κ”«

8 hours ago, cherrytropico said:

what genres are you interested in? i could try to recommend some shorter/faster paced books.

edit: also what books have you liked before?

i haven’t read many books in a long time oopsies but i have read a little bit ofΒ nonfiction recently from some of my interests like crystals lol. i remember when i was in high school i liked were TheΒ Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, and Into The Wild (i’m basic) but i’d be interested in a book similar to those.Β 

Β 

I know that I like non fiction andΒ some fiction. i’mΒ not super into fantasy but i likeΒ some fantasy elements like vampires and witches. i also like things like mystery, horror, and true crime.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ΰ£ͺ Λ–  𝒸𝒢𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢 π“Œπ’Άπ“‹π‘’ 𝒢𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒢𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π“ˆπ“Œπ‘’π‘’π“‰π“ƒπ‘’π“ˆπ“ˆΒ β‚ŠΛš.ΰΌ„

Listening to audiobooks, while not the same thing as reading a book, is still a valid form of enjoying literature. Admittedly, I used to be of the opinion they don't count as reading but then a family member went blind and could only enjoy books as audiobooks and I realized how dumb I'd been. I think a lot of people forget about blind or otherwise disabled people when dissing audiobooks.

This depends a bit on your country but it's way too easy (especially as an established author) to get some complete bullshit published and the market is very oversaturated as a consequence. There should be a yearly limit or something, we don't need new books at this rate.

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion anymore but most classics suck. They're boring and far too long and the themes and ideas in most of them have been explored in far more compelling ways in more contemporary works. This is coming from someone who has read and still reads a lot of classic literature. I do think being familiar with the classics is important but reading them is mostly a chore for me.