BartenderDeco

Lana signed an open letter to President Joe Biden, thanking him for his ‘leadership’ and calling for the release of all Hamas hostages.

I think we should do a separate thread for the war (in the world news thread) to discuss and explain about it better for people who still haven't understood it. 

url%5D

1 minute ago, ArtDecoDelRey said:

Biden and the US supporting the genocide is not in the interest of American Jews but rather because they use Israel for Western political interests in the Middle East (and have since its inception).

The vast majority of American Zionists are not even Jewish but nationalist Evangelicals.

Thank you! I was a bit unclear about that point, and I'm glad you corrected me.

Can you please give more context? What are Biden's political interests in the Middle East? 

Just now, Unknown said:

Yall are overeacting, ur lucky she didnt announce a last minute concert in Israel with the hope to unify the Israeli and Palestinian people and stop the war :true:

nah. She should read a book or stay out of it completely. People have been cancelled over less.

4 minutes ago, barttttender said:

nah. She should read a book or stay out of it completely. People have been cancelled over less.

Lana has never been well informed on a single political topic ever so this is really not as bad as it could have been, honestly i was expecting worse like an instagram post in support of Israel or organising a concert. I wish she would just be like Taylor Swift and never comment on anything political ever 

tumblr_mx1rynpDqV1rh0xc7o1_500.gif

Wasn’t there an attempt to broker an agreement between Israel and Palestine many years ago which Palestine declined due to it not meeting standards? The comparison between Israel and the nazis is quite empty because this fight has been over “religious” reasons 

In exchange for West Bank land that Israel would keep, Olmert proposed a 5.3 percent land swap giving the Palestinians a desert territory adjacent to the Gaza Strip.

Olmert’s proposal first emerged several months ago and was published in detail on Tuesday by Israel’s left-leaning Haaretz newspaper, prompting Abu Rdainah’s response.

“The Israeli proposal is not acceptable,” Abbas’s spokesman said. “The Palestinian side will only accept a Palestinian state with territorial continuity, with holy Jerusalem as its capital, without settlements, and on the June 4, 1967 boundaries.”

Under the proposal, Israel would give to the Palestinians some 92.7 percent of the occupied West Bank, plus all of the Gaza Strip, according to Western and Palestinian officials briefed on the negotiations.

Not defending them necessarily- just stating it’s completely different 

Discussions about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in general should be put in a different thread. This thread needs to only be about Lana’s inclusion in the letter to President Biden. 

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

9 minutes ago, barttttender said:

you should absolutely drag her for it.

If she signed a petition defending the Nazis against the Jews, she deserves to be dragged for it.

Unfortunately, this is a similar scenario. It's a very black and white situation at this point in time.

not saying Palestine is all innocent, no. But the mass extermination of Palestinians right now is basically Nazism all over. 

I agree with everything you've posted, but I have to add to that: Palestine is all innocent. Hamas might be tied to Palestine but it isn't Palestine. It's kinda like the IRA/Ireland: the actions of one group shouldn't condemn civilians... especially when Israel has the means to send troops instead of blindly bombing lands. They're deliberately choosing to kill innocents. 

They're also currently bombing the West Bank despite Hamas having no ties to Jordanians. Basically, they're using the deaths of their own people as an excuse to further expand the occupation. 

What makes me super mad about that letter, though, is that line about Hamas terrorizing Palestine for 15 years. What a way to twist the truth... Israel has been deporting and purging Palestine for 70 years now, but I guess it's not important in the slightest :bye:

9 minutes ago, ArtDecoDelRey said:

Biden and the US supporting the genocide is not in the interest of American Jews but rather because they use Israel for Western political interests in the Middle East (and have since its inception).

The vast majority of American Zionists are not even Jewish but nationalist Evangelicals.

Exactly. Every country defending Israel is just protecting their interest. It has nothing to do with the fact they're Jews or surviving children of the Shoah. They couldn't care less about that. If they were truly shocked and moved by genocide, they would have lifted a finger for the freedom of Palestine long ago.

Those hypocrites also would have welcomed Jews when they needed a place the most (Palestine wasn't even the promise land... Many Jews back in the day sought refuge in America, but were drove back because no one wanted them. It was apparently easier to give them a piece of land Western countries didn't truly own.)

Also, friendly reminder that not every Jew is pro-Israel and even not every Israeli is pro-Israel (in the sense they're not ok with their government's decisions) just like not every Palestinian is pro-Hamas. All those civilians, whether they're from Israel or Palestine, mostly want peace. They're all victims of the actions of their own government, and that's what's so tragic. 

All those celebs picking sides like it's a fucking football game are privileged, ignorant assholes sheltered in a safe country. When they praise Biden leadership, they just ignore the wish of agonizing populations that are fucking tired of politics and just want to be able to live another day. 

I don’t see anything wrong with the letter- is it too appreciative of Biden? Yes when it should be critiquing the American one sided policy on Palestinian affairs but innocent Israeli and other national citizens by hammas should be released and I guess the appreciation is just to grease the wheels- maybe the letter won’t do anything, maybe the public display of it will push focus on him.

46 minutes ago, Unknown said:

Lana has never been well informed on a single political topic ever

Well maybe she should start, and if she can’t then she just shouldn’t address it period :sadcore4:

I bet she's so lucky Untitled-video-Made-with-Clipchamp.gif to have a voice like that

last.fm

3 hours ago, BartenderDeco said:

https://x.com/popbase/status/1716682331476644050?s=46&t=80JZhFo7OwR07MLcgnxT9Q

i do feel like we need to talk about this instead of avoiding it. this is the most disappointing thing i’ve ever seen lana do,

as sad as it makes me i think i wanna take a small break from listening to lana :(

I always wonder who organises these things, like how do all these celebrities get together to sign a thing lol it just gives off creepy and weird energy to me.

Like I imagine some agent calling everyone like "you need to sign this or you won't get any more work".

1 hour ago, ArtDecoDelRey said:

.I think she’s confused and uneducated on the war, with all the propaganda that’s being shoved down our throats it’s easy to think that Palestine has just attacked Israel out of nowhere and innocent Israelis are dying when we all know it’s much more than that. She should’ve actually researched the topic before making a statement on something so serious. Let’s just hope she educates herself on this asap. Free Palestine 🇵🇸 ❤️

3 hours ago, BartenderDeco said:

https://x.com/popbase/status/1716682331476644050?s=46&t=80JZhFo7OwR07MLcgnxT9Q

i do feel like we need to talk about this instead of avoiding it. this is the most disappointing thing i’ve ever seen lana do,

as sad as it makes me i think i wanna take a small break from listening to lana :(

u can’t be deadass… mind u I’m arab and muslim and that statement isn’t the most right-winged statement we’ve seen in the last few weeks. westerners views on politics outside of their sphere will always baffle me cus it’s never a genuine concern for the people dying but if their parasocial relationship will last depending on if they share your same views - which in this case, they do… its a neutral statement at best with barely any substance 

other than the narrative that hamas has been “terrorizing” palestine as if it’s somehow their fault.

i sometimes just think - and this applies to both celebrities and ordinary people - when you’re tackling a subject as extremely nuanced, sensitive and historically rich as this one while you’re not quite fully informed or you’ve only researched as far as instagram infographics and television talking points, why not just…. sit this one out? if you’re being badgered for a response, why not just make a post like will poulter did where he basically said “i don’t know enough to comment or share a solid stance yet”?? there’s literally no shame in admitting to not having a deeply nuanced understanding of a very particular and very complex geopolitical issue, especially if you plan to eventually educate yourself on it.

i sometimes find that people regurgitate things without truly understanding them. and in some ways, i can’t blame them for that! if you’re being presented with everything going on in israel right now and it’s the first time you’ve ever seen anything like it or if everyone you know is telling you it’s wrong (without mentioning palestine while doing so) or if you’re a little out of touch and get all of your news from biased outlets and you’re being told that babies are being beheaded and women are being raped and civilians are being held hostage, i can see why 47 year old mum-of-three Linda from Huddersfield would be horrified and think “oh my giddy aunt, peace for israel!!!” and overlay an israeli flag on her facebook profile picture and sad react to images of crying children in a war torn country (without realising that image is probably a mislabelled photograph from palestine - hi jamie lee curtis!). however, that necessarily doesn’t mean it’s the ‘right’ stance of course.

i’ve been marching for palestine’s freedom since around 2014 so i know a fair deal about the situation, but i *still* don’t feel i know enough to give a truly enlightening take. but of what i do know and what i have researched, i firmly believe i’m on the right ‘side’. my personal thoughts on this situation are: of course i don’t want any innocent civilians to be hurt in either country, of course i’m against war of all kinds, of course i don’t necessarily agree with some of the choices hamas have made, but do i think the acts are unprovoked? absolutely not. and it is truly terrifying that for the YEARS that palestinians have been suffering, there’s not been a PEEP from the media about it. online outlets are even going so far in the defence of israel that they’re taking horrifying photographs of war-torn palestine and labelling them as photographs of israel when they’re not, just to garner public sympathy. suddenly the tables have somewhat turned - i say “somewhat” because there is absolutely a power imbalance  between the two countries - and all of a sudden people are concerned and israel is the victim? i think not.

i hope for the safety of every innocent civilian involved in both countries and i hope for the freedom of palestine. the situation is too complex to be summed up via flag emojis and hashtags. and this letter that lana signed…. well i’m disappointed but not surprised. it mentions palestine which is a start - perhaps even why so many famous people felt comfortable putting their names on the letter? - but it’s not enough.

anyway there’s my take that nobody asked for :fabcat:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Lana should remember that she wrote songs like Coachella, When The World, Looking For America, The Greatest but now I realised that these politically themed songs are all about America :prettyhurts: 

Well, still she should think about all Palestinian children and their parents. I just want that she's thinking about Palestinian people too.

url%5D