Elle

Lana Del Rey interviewed for The Times

she probably feels like she's coming up to a point in her life where she'll have to choose between motherhood or experiencing as much as possible

and it sounds like she's going for the latter

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

44 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

she probably feels like she's coming up to a point in her life where she'll have to choose between motherhood or experiencing as much as possible

and it sounds like she's going for the latter

It's giving fig tree~

its-giving-fig-tree-v0-8s8hci0bpmpb1.jpg

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

i feel like when she said things would be simpler she meant with the subject matter. the last two albums featured some of her most personal songs to date and she had never explored some of the topics on ocean before - maybe slight teases on blue banisters. this album was monumental for many reasons and one of them was the story it told. i'm so proud of her like this was the closest she could challenge norman and I KNOW she has it in her to decimate nfr! :flutter:

about the standards... well lana does have her own standards but yeah guess we might be getting the covers album after all :wub:

3 hours ago, Elle said:
“We’ll see what melts the wings.”

poetry. she is living breathing heart aching poetry. 

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚢𝚕𝚟𝚒𝚊 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚑

I hate to wax poetic, but as someone who distinctly remembers having to defend her to my peers in the 8th grade, back in 2012/13, and how she was the punchline of many media-outlets—it makes me uniquely emotional seeing the praise and the deep-rooted respect she is given now in 2023. Seeing headlines like “Lana Del Rey forgives us” and reading articles like this tell me what I always knew about her, and in a way, they validate the little boy who was made fun of for liking her and who felt the need to hide who he really was. Maybe one day I’ll forgive them too 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

54 minutes ago, how the light shines in said:

poetry. she is living breathing heart aching poetry. 

It seems she's been interested in Greek mythology & poetry lately and has applied the stories as metaphors for her own life. Here, by referencing Icarus and his wax wings that melted by flying too close to the sun. Earlier this year, she attended a reading of Ulysses which was inspired by The Odyssey, and after hearing the reading she wrote a message in a guestbook that suggested that the book's final line featuring the repetition of the word "yes" was how she attempted to live her own life which left her feeling dissatisfied. Even in Fingertips she writes, "They say there's irony in the music, it's a tragedy, I see nothing Greek in it" & “Call me Aphrodite as they bow down to me”

I'm interested to see how Greek mythology & poetry influence her upcoming work too x

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

omgg.. thank the lanaboards!! i was wondering if i’d ever find this article without a paywall.. i’m too broke after all the lana merch i bought this year. 😭😭😭

edit: i just finished the article after commenting.. but woww.. this is such a wonderful article. she seems so much more confident in herself and her ability. the last paragraph really spoke to me and makes me so happy to know that she’s so excited to keep moving forward. 🥹💕

"Because there is more to explore. I know people who've tested every water. It's burnt them, like Icarus. But I'm willing to go there. I see it coming for me. We'll see." She is speaking quickly now, excitedly. "We'll see what melts the wings."

5 hours ago, violettiaras said:

Patty’s side and ancestors apparently fought on both sides, which may play into what she says about her karmic lineage.

I’ve got a war in my mind karmic lineage :dance3:

also love reading these interviews I’m so glad she’s been doing more now <3

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

2 hours ago, Elle said:

It seems she's been interested in Greek mythology & poetry lately and has applied the stories as metaphors for her own life. Here, by referencing Icarus and his wax wings that melted by flying too close to the sun. Earlier this year, she attended a reading of Ulysses which was inspired by The Odyssey, and after hearing the reading she wrote a message in a guestbook that suggested that the book's final line featuring the repetition of the word "yes" was how she attempted to live her own life which left her feeling dissatisfied. Even in Fingertips she writes, "They say there's irony in the music, it's a tragedy, I see nothing Greek in it" & “Call me Aphrodite as they bow down to me”

I'm interested to see how Greek mythology & poetry influence her upcoming work too x

This is one of the most poetically dense and multifaceted lyrics I've ever come across. I'm still trying to come to grips with it.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

i get kind of irritated when her music is always delimited to being sad, and for sad people to listen to. like it’s true a majority of her music is sad i suppose i just don’t get why her audience is always underestimated as a load of sad people! they don’t understand we can bump to sad girl in the club :oprah3:

it’s exciting to see her cement the american classics and standards album as something that’s coming soon! she just keeps giving

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, brandon said:

right like 😭 like you don’t get to choose what’s a standard that’s for the audience to decide mamas!

I think he just worded it badly, he understood what she meant as he related it to the 2 recent covers

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

1 hour ago, longtimeman said:

This is one of the most poetically dense and multifaceted lyrics I've ever come across. I'm still trying to come to grips with it.

I love that line, but it certainly is complex. Here’s my simple personal take on it, especially with the context of her using Greek mythology and poetry as metaphors in her writing. It seems Lana finds comfort in metaphors (as do I, I love a good metaphor) and will often use them to sort of “soften a blow” of a hardship she’s sharing in her music, poetry, etc. For example, writing “they said to say yes but I did and I don’t like how it turned out” after taking influence from the Ulysses reading with the repetition of the word “yes” in the final lines. Or, in this interview noting how people have been burnt by certain paths they take in life, and after rather nonchalantly mentioning that she hasn’t yet had children after previously expressing she hoped to one day, says she’ll keep exploring life’s opportunities until something melts her wings - like Icarus after flying too close to the sun.

In these two recent examples, it seems she’s using references to Greek mythology and poetry to process and understand her own life & emotions and find comfort in the connections.
So, in that line when she says “they say there’s irony in the music, it’s a tragedy, I see nothing Greek in it” I take it to mean that she’s unable to find the beauty or the art in the hardships that have happened (such as the loss of her family, friends, other details she shares in the song) & while others may find irony in her music and view her sadness to be beautiful or artistic in a way, it’s not how she sees it this time. She can’t find that comforting tie in to relate her own story to that of an artistic myth or beautiful poem, so it is only what it is - just a tragedy.

To simplify - I see nothing Greek in it = I see no beauty/comfort in it

I think that’s also why in Fingertips she says everything sort of plainly/straight to the point especially in the latter half of the song following that line. The lyrics are quite diaristic. Instead of taking her thoughts and stories and attempting to string them into beautiful/artistic lyrics to soften them, she’s just telling them as they are. She can’t find that beautiful connection, she can only see the harsh tragedy. As the song progresses, the lyrics get more and more raw - until we reach the very final lines of the song where she ties in Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love & beauty, which is perhaps her final attempt of trying to find the beauty in an ugly situation.

I hope I explained that all in a way that makes sense. But either way, that’s just my own interpretation - I love that lyric, so I’d love to hear any other interpretations as well x

2 minutes ago, Delinquentdoll said:

Is there a print version of the mag or is it digital only?

It’s in print -

IMG-1945