Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

Its ok Lana u can keep the lasso for a while, FKA and Gaga are coming to feed the hungry :kiss3:

(attempting this as some sort of reverse manifestation but it’s also true) 

4 hours ago, ultrabanisters said:

But truthfully, when I'm in the middle of making a record - especially now, when the world is in the middle of such a tumultuous period - I find I really need to take the space for myself, far away from real life to consider what my contribution to the world should be in these dark times.

So each morning I have the luxury of asking myself, "What shall I cook up for the kids today? Something with a little spice? Something with a little bitterness but is ultimately sweet? Or shall I take the day off and turn down the fire, and just take a moment to send my love to them over the ether?" 

life imitates art :ma:

Ice spice collab :angie:

Just kidding :ma:

2.gif

What I need from Lasso next year:

- Jimmy Gnecco as an interlude 

- Dolly Parton, Nikki Lane, and Holly Macve as the sole features on this album (not no man jk)

- Velvet Crowbar needs to be on this album idc

- An ambience/soundscape on songs, I need to feel immersed in this album

- Lana's old singing style (dark and heavy vocals and different funky cadences)

- Pawn Shop Blues, Fine China, My Momma ON THIS ALBUM PLEASE

- This album better be over 12 tracks; I don't want another Chemtrails. At least 13 tracks, aiming for 15 tracks

- Linda Ronstadt cover on this album, she should do 'Long Long Time' or 'Blue Bayou'

- Like Beyoncé's album, even if the sound isn't country, I need the lyrics to evoke country themes 

- She should sample other songs from her discography like she did some songs on Ocean Blvd

- VOCALS PLEASE, love Lana to literal death, but lately the vocals on her songs aren't hitting as they use to. So, I need some songs on this album to show her haters she can really sing

- Hey Blue Baby, PGICM, IMBSFBH, Stand By Your Man needs to be on this album, the ones she showcased in 2018 and 2022

- Dark americana country, with southern gothic elements, but I would really appreciate different experimental sounds on this album (ex. country trap/hip-hop)

- Don't expect the setlist to change after this album drops but she needs to put many songs from this album on the setlist, as well as more Blue Banisters and Chemtrails songs because those give the vibe for Lasso

- I NEED THIS ERA TO REMIND ME OF HER PAST!! Lately, ever since NFR!, Lana's era for her last three albums haven't been giving anything really. Ocean Blvd had fantastic photoshoots, and her tour has been really good. But I need more than that. Promote the hell out of this album until it becomes annoying. Do a proper album lineup (announcement - lead single - album announcement - second single - album teaser - album trailer - third single - album drop). Also, the music videos and photoshoots need to evoke COUNTRY COUNTRY COUNTRYY! Need horses, beers, haystacks, cowboy boots, farms, barns, wildlife, everything of such in this era. I want to be fully immersed in the country experience. And then after the album drops, interviews too. I know Lana doesn't do interviews anymore like that, but one or two is perfectly fine. I feel like the album won't do well if she doesn't promote her album. I know country is a popular genre, especially nowadays, but that doesn't mean it won't flop. Lana's fan isn't super big on country, as I've been seeing all over X and other platforms. So, she needs to promote it well to intrigue her fans, and those outside her fanbase. 

If Lana does this right, with a correct album lineup and features, I can see this being NFR! era, or at LEAST, Lust For Life era like. Where Lana was active and people like the album for the most part. She needs to have the right features on this album if any. Bring old country artists that everyone knows or love and introduce new country artists to the game. Or even non-country artists too! We saw that with Quavo, how Quavo fans boosted Lana's popularity more, and they began listening to other projects/singles by her. I love Lana Del Rey, and her music and hopefully she does this properly. If she does, I just know this album will be album of the year during of 2025 at the Grammy's. And if not, I'm sure in due time the album will have over 1.2 million streams.

All love and Lana won't see this probably or even care but yeah, I'm just bored LOL xo

I'd like to see Lana do covers only when she really feels moved to, and when she puts some passion and deep feeling into them, like The Other Woman. I don't care for most of her others, though Heart-Shaped Box, Summertime, and  Doin' Time are certainly serviceable. Country Roads was ho-hum, dull, and passionless, and I'm not surprised that Courtney Love criticized it. Lana's interpretation of For Free puts a happy spin on the song that isn't in the original and undercuts its poignancy. 

On the topic of folk ballads, it's interesting that some old British folk and border ballads address female empowerment (Tam Lin), cross-dressing (The Handsome Sailor Boy, which Kate Bush covered as a b-side, which asks, "Why are all the sailors hot for that new cabin boy?"), and even acknowledgment of same-sex attraction (in Willy O'Winsbury, the king says to his daughter's handsome lover, "And it is no wonder that my daughter's love you did win, for if I was a woman, as I am a man, my bedfellow you would have been"). 

15 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I'd like to see Lana do covers only when she really feels moved to, and when she puts some passion and deep feeling into them, like The Other Woman. I don't care for most of her others, though Heart-Shaped Box, Summertime, and  Doin' Time are certainly serviceable. Country Roads was ho-hum, dull, and passionless, and I'm not surprised that Courtney Love criticized it. Lana's interpretation of For Free puts a happy spin on the song that isn't in the original and undercuts its poignancy. 

On the topic of folk ballads, it's interesting that some old British folk and border ballads address female empowerment (Tam Lin), cross-dressing (The Handsome Sailor Boy, which Kate Bush covered as a b-side, which asks, "Why are all the sailors hot for that new cabin boy?"), and even acknowledgment of same-sex attraction (in Willy O'Winsbury, the king says to his daughter's handsome lover, "And it is no wonder that my daughter's love you did win, for if I was a woman, as I am a man, my bedfellow you would have been"). 

I agree re. the covers and especially Country Roads

I've liked all of Lana's on-album covers apart from For Free, but I didn't miss not having one on OB. If there is a cover on Lasso, I need it to fit so well into the album sound that I almost forget it's a cover (that's how I feel about Doin' Time). 

Controversial but I'd rather have no songs we've heard before (leaked) on the album, and none she's performed before (like Prettiest Girl in Country Music). I'd love to see aspects of some unreleased songs reworked and rerealised, though

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

5 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

I agree re. the covers and especially Country Roads

I've liked all of Lana's on-album covers apart from For Free, but I didn't miss not having one on OB. If there is a cover on Lasso, I need it to fit so well into the album sound that I almost forget it's a cover (that's how I feel about Doin' Time). 

Controversial but I'd rather have no songs we've heard before on the album, and none she's performed before. I'd love to see aspects of some unrealised songs reworked and rerealised 

I forget The Other Woman is a cover sometimes, as it fits so well with some other parts of Ultraviolence. I'd prefer no covers unless it's an entire album of covers and she's really had timwe to think about what she wants from the album and each track. I didn't care much for Blue Velvet either, which was probably a shout-out to David Lynch (which worked). 

In my opinion covers and interludes are fillers, they like take a place that could've been an original outtake's place. Like covers should stay in the cover albums or standalone and interludes in the videos.

2.gif

bye brat summer, hello lasso autumn :hype:

Spoiler

it's winter where I am :creep:

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

3 minutes ago, gasstationkween said:

With the Lasso round my neck

Ill tell you one thing 

The music in the west don’t sound like thiiisss

I so, so wish this was real :paris: that girl with an AI voice modulator ate I fear

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

6 hours ago, Vertimus said:

I agree with all of this though I would just like to point out as the resident CLove Expert  that Courtney was joking when she said she unstanned over that cover. In the original context it was clearly not serious, though she is a huge John Denver stan so it would not surprise me if she didn't care for the cover. She praised Lana not once but three times in Courtney Love's Women her BBC6 podcast which premiered around the same time in April (And is amazing. 10 hours long and worth every second. Even if you can't stand CLove its an excellent history of woman in music and an excellent playlist.)  She said she cut back on listening to Lana bc she finds her too inspiring and she is presently working on the longest album in rock and roll history with Video Games producer  among others. Wants to differentiate from one specific muse. 

That said, I FOR ONE DID NOT LIKE COUNTRY ROADS.  Its fine a thing covers should never be. Brilliant or bad. It should always add to, recontextualise, or highlight the quality of the original. Covers are a conversation and the CR cover did not have anything to say IMO

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

I hope this country album is scrapped and we get something different. Hell, I'd be happy with a Blue Banisters part 2 rather than whatever "country" album Lasso will be. 

Also, I have not listened to Tough since I watched the music video.