Embach

Music Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Theomo said:

I'm kinda a wierdo for this, but this music slaps

I'm guessing you like classical (as do I). Which sort of brings up the question, why no "classical" or "jazz" threads at LBs? Or maybe "What are you listening to?" could be broken down by genre. While it's true I could start a thread like this, centuries of being trampled underfoot has made me more of a follower than a leader.

BTW, 50th anniversary is relative to 2009, and google reports 4 different people worked on the film score. Not sure, but I would say the score is influenced by Tchaikovsky's ballet score for The Sleeping Beauty.

15 hours ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

Even though they’re the greatest band ever, I’ll never understand why Depeche Mode is hardly played on the radio…

:icant:

14 hours ago, Embach said:

Depeche gets played all the time in the radios where I live. Enjoy The Silence, Personal Jesus, Just Can't Get Enough, Strangelove, It's No Good, Master And Servent, Never Let Me Down...gotta say I'm blessed because I've been loving and listening to Depeche ever since I was a kid, thanks to radios. Their newer songs should get more airplay imo.

The question that comes to mind: are we talking college or commercial radio? College radio was an amazing source of music exploration back in the day before the Internet.

21 minutes ago, slang said:

I'm guessing you like classical (as do I). Which sort of brings up the question, why no "classical" or "jazz" threads at LBs? Or maybe "What are you listening to?" could be broken down by genre. While it's true I could start a thread like this, centuries of being trampled underfoot has made me more of a follower than a leader.

BTW, 50th anniversary is relative to 2009, and google reports 4 different people worked on the film score. Not sure, but I would say the score is influenced by Tchaikovsky's ballet score for The Sleeping Beauty.

The question that comes to mind: are we talking college or commercial radio? College radio was an amazing source of music exploration back in the day before the Internet.

No, for me it's commercial radio but the station is like the one that plays old music hits and such. 

url%5D

18 hours ago, Orville Peck said:

I love to explore the discography of legendary artists. I am currently enjoying Bob Dylan's discography.

I also want to listen to Neil Young's... Harvest Moon is one of my favorite albums. :flutter:

So glad i did this with Madonnas' in 2021. So much good music I have been missing out from. I want to do the same with Mariah Carey and older essential artists like The Rolling Stone or Blondie 

16 hours ago, AllHisCandyNecklaces said:

Spotify is to introduce a NEW feature that allows artists under UMG to tease unreleased music on the app. 

interesting.... right after James Blake went on a twitter tirade about the industry bending over AI and tik tok, and later partenered up with Vault, an app "whose pitch to artists is “drop music on your own terms: let fans subscribe to unlock unreleased music straight from your vault”. It has launched this week with Blake as the first artist to try it out." article here

17 hours ago, AllHisCandyNecklaces said:

Spotify is to introduce a NEW feature that allows artists under UMG to tease unreleased music on the app. 

IMG-9617.jpg

very interesting, here is more background: https://www.billboard.com/business/streaming/universal-music-spotify-tease-unreleased-music-videos-1235643422/

How was Prince releasing songs like this at 20 years old

"I was only 16, but I guess that's no excuse
My sister was 32, lovely and loose
She don't wear no underwear
She said it only gets in her hair
And it's got a funny way of stopping the juice
My sister never made love to anyone else but me
She's the reason for my, uh, sexuality
Showed me where it's supposed to go
A blow job doesn't mean blow
Incest is everything it's said to be"

:wtf3:

I'm confused abt the vinyl submission deadline thing - I thought it took a few months after submitting an album for vinyls to be made, and I've seen a lot of people on here say it's 6 months, but I can't find any real info to back that up.

I just saw that Beyonce and Miley's collab was finished a month ago, so I'm confused af bc at that point Beyonce had already announced the album and the song is on vinyl so it can't be 6 months right??

So many albums coming out this year I’m excited for, theres already been some I’ve been loving. Some years are so dry, but I feel this will be an amazing year for music :charli:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

On 3/29/2024 at 7:28 PM, Barry said:

How was Prince releasing songs like this at 20 years old

"I was only 16, but I guess that's no excuse
My sister was 32, lovely and loose
She don't wear no underwear
She said it only gets in her hair
And it's got a funny way of stopping the juice
My sister never made love to anyone else but me
She's the reason for my, uh, sexuality
Showed me where it's supposed to go
A blow job doesn't mean blow
Incest is everything it's said to be"

:wtf3:

From Wikipedia on Dirty Mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Mind#:~:text=Dirty Mind has,1980s.[8]

So the track Sister didn't hurt him too much, or maybe DM would have placed much higher on all those epic album lists, if he hadn't included it, idk. He actually does have a sister, who is two years younger than him, if he were living. So "Sister" can be thought of as fiction, much like Nabokov's Lolita is. Or possibly it reflects personal knowledge of somebody elses situation. I love how Prince just HAD to use the word "incest" in the lyrics, so the listener knows, he's not using the slang-metaphor "sister" colloquialism of the times. Also, depending on how one interprets the lyrics following what you posted, it could reflect even worse on the sister (lol, was she her brother's pimp too?!). Music lost a (courageous and outrageous) hero, when it lost Prince; I really miss him. 

ok let’s talk:

how come so many popular artists have been  releasing long albums in 2023-2024, and how do you feel about this trend? sza released SOS with 23 tracks, m*rgan w*lien released an album with 36 tracks, drake’s recent album was 23 tracks, beyoncé’s cowboy carter has 27 tracks, and now taylor has released an album with 31 tracks. 

personally, i don’t really like this trend…i think it takes away from the artistry of an album being created with intention and clarity. it is overwhelming for the listener, and yeah you can listen to the whole album slowly, but i’d much rather have a clean-cut album to listen to on release day. in the case of ttpd i haven’t even listened to the 15 new tracks yet because it’s just too much, and at this point some songs are gonna start blending in together. initially i was looking forward to beyoncé’s album but i haven’t even started listening to it because of how overwhelmed i feel.

then you have artists on the other end of the spectrum that release shorter albums – ariana grande’s eternal sunshine was 35 min long, olivia rodrigo’s guts was originally 39 min long. billie’s new album will be 10 tracks long. this isn’t necessarily a bad thing because in the case of ariana, i thought her album was clean and perfect with no filler tracks. so i’d take that over a long album any day, because those feel more like a compilation of the artist’s songs than a body of work. 

feel free to disagree with me if you do like long albums !! i mean i can definitely see how it can keep you occupied for a long time which is exciting but … ain’t nobody got time for that. 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

21 minutes ago, cherrytropico said:

ok let’s talk:

how come so many popular artists have been  releasing long albums in 2023-2024, and how do you feel about this trend? sza released SOS with 23 tracks, m*rgan w*lien released an album with 36 tracks, drake’s recent album was 23 tracks, beyoncé’s cowboy carter has 27 tracks, and now taylor has released an album with 31 tracks. 

personally, i don’t really like this trend…i think it takes away from the artistry of an album being created with intention and clarity. it is overwhelming for the listener, and yeah you can listen to the whole album slowly, but i’d much rather have a clean-cut album to listen to on release day. in the case of ttpd i haven’t even listened to the 15 new tracks yet because it’s just too much, and at this point some songs are gonna start blending in together. initially i was looking forward to beyoncé’s album but i haven’t even started listening to it because of how overwhelmed i feel.

then you have artists on the other end of the spectrum that release shorter albums – ariana grande’s eternal sunshine was 35 min long, olivia rodrigo’s guts was originally 39 min long. billie’s new album will be 10 tracks long. this isn’t necessarily a bad thing because in the case of ariana, i thought her album was clean and perfect with no filler tracks. so i’d take that over a long album any day, because those feel more like a compilation of the artist’s songs than a body of work. 

feel free to disagree with me if you do like long albums !! i mean i can definitely see how it can keep you occupied for a long time which is exciting but … ain’t nobody got time for that. 

All fair points, but tbh I think we need a middle ground like something in between 11-14 tracks but then a deluxe with 2-4 extra filler songs for the people who want more. Also on the topic of Taylor, she should’ve released The Anthology later in the year.

edit- also I really hope Lana’s new record isn’t more then like 14 tracks.

10 minutes ago, cherrytropico said:

personally, i don’t really like this trend…i think it takes away from the artistry of an album being created with intention and clarity. it is overwhelming for the listener, and yeah you can listen to the whole album slowly, but i’d much rather have a clean-cut album to listen to on release day.

I have mixed feelings. For a lot of those artists I think it’s them trying to flood their streaming numbers. In the early digital era it was reliant on people buying singles, but with streaming you don’t have to buy anything and can listen to a full album (not that many people do) for free. So they just pump out what they can and aren’t as discerning with track choice. It can definitely indicate low artistic integrity. For SZA, she spent about 6 years inbetween CTRL and SOS and you can tell she put care into the song versus Morgan who….. 

Cowboy Carter had 27 tracks BUT like 4 were interludes. And I think regardless the intention shines through on CC. So much attention was put into the production and songwriting. The music is GOOD so it’s not at all a chore to listen to.

I don’t think a long album is necessarily bad. But off the top of head (=i.e. your examples), the good ones reflect intention and precision in that they spent considerable time on the album, from mixing to production to track flow. 

But that’s obviously a labor intensive feat and isn’t possible to achieve if you’re Drake or taylor and have been releasing project after project.

On the flipside, I think super short albums also make me doubt the artist’s passion and drive. I haven’t heard Ariana’s but I get your point in it being good cause there’s no filler as that’s generally my thoughts on Guts. Dua Lipa’s doing a 10 track album, the first in 3 years or so, and she’s already released 3. Waiting for a new album of 7 songs just feels like waiting for a collection of singles or something. That plus a 4 show tour it’s like… are you just not into making music anymore?

Overall if the music’s good it’s good. You shouldn’t go in aiming to be an album with 30 tracks or 15 or 10- you should do what’s natural. Quality should come over quantity, but if you’re only happy with 30-40 minutes from years of your potential studio time then :/

Something I want to learn more about is how music is consumed today and how streaming has affected not just like, marketing tactics and sales numbers but the actual music making itself. 

37 minutes ago, DemonMic2003 said:

All fair points, but tbh I think we need a middle ground like something in between 11-14 tracks but then a deluxe with 2-4 extra filler songs for the people who want more. Also on the topic of Taylor, she should’ve released The Anthology later in the year.

edit- also I really hope Lana’s new record isn’t more then like 14 tracks.

oh i 100% agree! i’ll always prefer the middle ground of an average length album, then potentially a deluxe version later on. if taylor had dropped The Anthology later it would have been really exciting, but because it happened just a few hours after ttpd was released, it was just too much all at once. plus she had already done that double album thing with midnights so it wasn’t super surprising or anything. 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ