Elle

Zodiac

3 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

This is a very poignant observation and also ties back into the themes of the title track andย the sentiment of not wanting to be forgottenย :poordat: ย 

i was just thinking about that :aw:

"don't forget me... like the tunnel under ocean blvd" has a whole new meaning :crai:

giphy.webp

โ™ก๏ธŽ โบ.โŠน ห– ย ๐“‚๐“Ž ๐’ท๐’ถ๐’ท๐“Ž ๐“๐’พ๐“‹๐‘’๐“ˆ ๐’พ๐“ƒ ๐“ˆ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’น๐‘’๐“ˆ ๐‘œ๐’ป ๐’ท๐“๐“Š๐‘’ย โ‚Šหš. โ™ก๏ธŽ

It is interesting when you take the Candy Necklace video into account - though more metaphorical, it was still focused on a murdered hollywood starlet (even her own reference to Black Dahlia)ย and definitely did give some callback to her 2016/2017 love for Sharon Tateย (with Heroin too) and now we have this entire song that was ALMOST in Candy Necklace's place speaking directly of other murders. It's interesting, she was/still is obviously feeling a certain way or empathy for these girls (Gilgo Victims, the Black Dahlia, and Sharon as well)ย enough to incorporate it into her own story and art.

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

How are people interpreting the Purify Me lyric? There's a lot to process but my first thought is that she's pleading on behalf of the women who were killed to at least be purified in death and granted safe passage to whatever comes next, rather than punishing them any further for their "sins" in this life.

ย 

:crying4:

2 minutes ago, DCooper said:

How are people interpreting the Purify Me lyric? There's a lot to process but my first thought is that she's pleading on behalf of the women who were killed to at least be purified in death and granted safe passage to whatever comes next, rather than punishing them any further for their "sins" in this life.

ย 

:crying4:

That is one of my theories......but a different one is that Lana has said in interviews and in Fingertips that she communes with atleast one spirit (her uncle Dave). Expressing grief is a way of purifying the emotional space rather than letting it fester.... people often speak with or pray too the dead for guidance from the other side....it's possible that during a lowpoint lana , dwelling on the similarities between their and her stories, reached out to the girls for insight... I know that's really unhinged sounding and extreme for the normies but i have done similar before during rough times and it fits with the outro

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

1 minute ago, Liz Taylor Blues said:

That is one of my theories......but a different one is that Lana has said in interviews and in Fingertips that she communes with atleast one spirit (her uncle Dave). Expressing grief is a way of purifying the emotional space rather than letting it fester.... people often speak with or pray too the dead for guidance from the other side....it's possible that during a lowpoint lana , dwelling on the similarities between their and her stories, reached out to the girls for insight... I know that's really unhinged sounding and extreme for the normies but i have done similar before during rough times and it fits with the outro

ย 

Love that theory too!

I really love this song and wish she released itย ย :poordat:ย 

ย 

I feel like this fits into the narrative of Ocean Blvd so well in terms of conversation based around legacy. Specificallyย how she name dropped four women who had their legacy stolen from them and practically turned into folklore revolving around someone else. It's actually really beautiful how she paid tribute to women by giving them a "heyย we didn't forget about you"

ย 

I also feel like Lana connects with them because during the Lizzy Grant days she was pretty much homeless and living with whatever boyfriends that wouldย let her stay over, she seems to reflect a lot on how she got lucky with her situation and others did not. It could have happened to her and considering this took place so close to her, it probably freaked her out.

Steam Community :: :: The Lindsay Lohan

1 hour ago, Liz Taylor Blues said:

Considering this is Lana... this is very much convincing!

ok wow I just got around to reading this thread andย this has to beย one of her heaviest and most stunning songs I'm overwhelmed.. when she sang the names of the victims in the last verse.... the purify me... thinking about howย the bodies of the victimsย were being discoveredย around the time she was living in NY this must have been something in her head for a long time.. I fully get why this didn't make Ocean blvdย but I'm really happy we got to hear it.:crai:

10 hours ago, Elle said:

This song seems to be about the Gilgo Four - four women who wereย sex workers that wereย killed by a serial killer on Gilgo Beach x

Lana was definitely in her true crime podcast era in 2022 when she created Candy Necklace (Black Dahlia) and Zodiac (Gilgo Four)

url%5D

I love reading all your theories about these lyrics, I'm also wondering about the "purify me" one, what did she mean in her heart - I have to think more about this but I'm so glad we know this song now and Ocean Blvd (album) makes even more sense in its intensityย 

ย  ย  ย  ย tumblr-m8pd6uijos1qgawlzo1-500.gif

ย 

9 hours ago, Cult Leader said:

I was listening more and I'm still not sure what that lyric is, the sound is like "solvensome, slovenson" but that's nonsense, maybe "and so hence" or "and so henceforth" I have no clue

genius.com says "so handsome"

ย 

https://genius.com/Lana-del-rey-zodiac-lyrics

These are some of her best lyrics in years. It wouldโ€™ve fit in so perfectly on Ocean Blvd and wouldโ€™ve brought more edge to it along with A&W and the interludes. The concept of her singing about these women that ended up in situations she herself couldโ€™ve ended up in (which is still very relevant to this day considering the stalkers / home break-ins she still gets). Itโ€™s so eerie. I really hope she still ends up releasing this song.

sig-cropped.png