TIARNZUS

Lana Del Rey Reveals Details About "Spiritual" New Album

I think the current live version draws on the song's early live arrangement. 

I think those drums stink. The low, menacing piano octaves are gone. The string arrangement in the second verse has since changed a lot (for the worse). The string outro has been truncated. She now sings the song in a very inhibited manner. All the magic of those details in the early version has been totally stripped away. I mean, melodically it's still there, but the current arrangement sounds like it could be a song off of In Utero. No thanks. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

IA with you.. even though Bel Air is one of my few favorites from Paradise, Body Electric is the most fluid track imo. Even the "Elvis is my daddy" (which upon first listen I found eye roll worthy) is kind of transcendent - she's saying these are my influences - the people who helped make "Lana Del Rey" and now I emulate them.  I sing the body electric ~I've opened the window to the soul for my audience~ .. "The armies of those I love engirth me and I engirth them" and it's dark so it's like there's something hidden there.. like maybe she resents it or it didn't turn out how she thought...sort of makes me think of the backlash she received.  IDK, the lyrics just seem to fit together whereas the other songs, in comparison at least, seem to be a string of random phrases/ "Lanaisms" 

The song doesn't have a clear meaning. It's not like Blue Jeans, Ride, National Anthem... were we know what the song is exactly about. She's giving us hints about how she feels, not telling us directly, just like in Born To Die. Dumb lyrics like "Elvis is my daddy, Marilyn's my mother", turn out to have a deep meaning. She uses metaphors, she gets more "poetic"?. We don't know what this song means, we can only assume the meaning. It's a deep song.

It's like an updated version of "The Man I Love" :flutter:

I think those drums stink. The low, menacing piano octaves are gone. The string arrangement in the second verse has since changed a lot (for the worse). The string outro has been truncated. She now sings the song in a very inhibited manner. All the magic of those details in the early version has been totally stripped away. I mean, melodically it's still there, but the current arrangement sounds like it could be a song off of In Utero. No thanks.

What about her low notes in the outro? Those were like the cries from Lana's ghost after her lover got taken away. "UUUHH OHHHH UHHHH AHHH". Now: I sing the body electric, baby. I sing the body electric, baby. I sing the body electric, baby. I.. sing the body eletric,... baabyyyyy! :l

WHY LANA? :(

Body Electric is one of the few songs she has written that can be interpreted in multiple ways, the lyrics may be simple but they have a deep meaning something most of her songs don't. Id be more than happy with Body Electric kind songs, I love "poetic Lana" and a full deep disc would be cool and fit this spiritual theme she talks about.

Its so cool how we, people, hear the same music in completely different ways. Like I really dislike body electric. And I really dont like a very few Lana songs. Everything about it sounds like a copycat of her own songs. And the way she sings it looks like she is going to give birth on stage.  She talked about Elvis before and MM in the same parenting way. So nothing new there.  Plus the arrangements are just kind of poor and the lyrics are lazy since most sentences she already had used before. So yeah body electirc sucks for me but you love it so there you go right?

glgcDdT.gif

What about her low notes in the outro? Those were like the cries from Lana's ghost after her lover got taken away. "UUUHH OHHHH UHHHH AHHH". Now: I sing the body electric, baby. I sing the body electric, baby. I sing the body electric, baby. I.. sing the body eletric,... baabyyyyy! :l

WHY LANA? :(

Yeah, aside from all the omissions, my other big complaint about the studio recording is that she repeats "I sing the body electric" too many times, especially toward the end, at which point it feels a bit exhausting, and where the song really needed to breathe and just surrender itself to that chilling, lyrical string outro. The vocals over that last section, i feel, really take away from the music and stifle it. I think she had it all right the first time around :/  I find it frustrating to trace the progression of this song, how it initially had a magic to it, some strange, ineffable quality, and then, i think, it just got overworked and they kind of botched it up. Hmmm, story of Lana Del Rey's art? 

To be honest, I hope the next album is nothing like the Paradise EP. I didn't really like it that much, a lot of the lyrics don't seem to have much meaning, as if they were just shoved in there without much thought. Lana definitely needs to explore different topics.

OMG so many criticism about my fav song...to me Body Electric is always amazing tbh :flutter:

Although since the PERFECT album version I rarely listen to the live versions, because in the studio version her voice is so different, seems so distant, it totally draws me in. And I don't mind the repetitive lyrics, I'm sure in her mind it makes sense somehow. :hooker:

Its so cool how we, people, hear the same music in completely different ways. Like I really dislike body electric. And I really dont like a very few Lana songs. Everything about it sounds like a copycat of her own songs. And the way she sings it looks like she is going to give birth on stage.  She talked about Elvis before and MM in the same parenting way. So nothing new there.  Plus the arrangements are just kind of poor and the lyrics are lazy since most sentences she already had used before. So yeah body electirc sucks for me but you love it so there you go right?

I agree with you. It's not that I hate the song but I haven't managed to make it grow on me after so many months of album listening. Not to mention that the production is bad and I dislike how its volume is higher in some parts and lower in others.

I dislike how its volume is higher in some parts and lower in others.

:hdu:   :suicide: But...but...DYNAMICS are an essential and fundamental component of music, sorely lacking in so many popular forms of music that it's almost miraculous when we do get it. What, do you dislike melody too?  :usrs:  :ohno:  :P

OMG so many criticism about my fav song...to me Body Electric is always amazing tbh :flutter:

Although since the PERFECT album version I rarely listen to the live versions, because in the studio version her voice is so different, seems so distant, it totally draws me in. And I don't mind the repetitive lyrics, I'm sure in her mind it makes sense somehow. :hooker:

I completely agree. Not that I can't understand why some people dislike it, but then I think that's the thing about being a part of a Lana community, it's like any community in that everyone will have hugely differing opinions. BUT, I adore Body Electric. Granted it's very repetitive, but I've loved it ever since the first time I heard it. I also thought it was beautifully done live on Sunday night. It was one of my favourite performances of the night, and I think it made more of an impact live when you're in that arena with the lighting effects, etc. 

tumblr_mjifpjZBSu1rr0bkio2_500.png

I completely agree. Not that I can't understand why some people dislike it, but then I think that's the thing about being a part of a Lana community, it's like any community in that everyone will have hugely differing opinions. BUT, I adore Body Electric. Granted it's very repetitive, but I've loved it ever since the first time I heard it. I also thought it was beautifully done live on Sunday night. It was one of my favourite performances of the night, and I think it made more of an impact live when you're in that arena with the lighting effects, etc. 

tumblr_mlvbh4LK9i1r7oj7fo1_500.gif

Is this new album due to be out in 2013?

There's no set date, only rumors right now. As for me, I highly doubt it will be out in 2013. I'd say early 2014 release is more logical.

I hope this "spiritual" album sounds more like BTD than Paradise. I'd prefer it to sound like LGAKALDR more than anything.

I really hope so too. But lets face it, nothing will ever top BTD the expectations are way too high now. 

7338e157b4b318699b988ced0289df17.gif

Well she said she doesn't want to do what she did with BTD: she doesn't want to send her songs to producers so they put a bunch of beats over them. So I don't think It will be like BTD.

I just hope we get 1-2 loon effects :agree2: