Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

1 minute ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Link please?

Here it is 🪐

https://youtu.be/HT7uEg4Z2A0

Just now, Good Intentions said:

Creep / Get Free is the only common thing I can think of. :troll:

That's probably unpopular opinion because I have never seen anyone talking about this but the intro of Watercolor Eyes really reminds me of the intro of Creep.

url%5D

2 minutes ago, Embach said:

Here it is 🪐

https://youtu.be/HT7uEg4Z2A0

That's probably unpopular opinion because I have never seen anyone talking about this but the intro of Watercolor Eyes really reminds me of the intro of Creep.

True. The piano notes of the end of the song is even worse! :delish:

3 minutes ago, Good Intentions said:

Creep / Get Free is the only common thing I can think of. :troll:

Radiohead is all about social anxiety, being unable to find peace and lasting human connections. Lana tells the story of her doomed romances and decay of the American dream. Although they sound different, they both share the same sadness / melancholy throughout. 

11 hours ago, bluedealer said:

I really like Judah Interlude :biblio: the instrumentals are crazy and it matches A&W and Candy Necklace atmosphere. This is the real Patty and Sean dissctrack on this record but I feel like y'all sleep on it.

Why are you so infatuated with me? 

Gives me damn chills every damn time, her distanced laughter, the gloomy sounds..it is very haunting.

I can objectively say that the interlude is great. The instrumentals are incredible. 

but I’ve never been able to listen to it more than once because of my personal background (I was raised in baptist churches and a white dude preaching / yelling has me really triggered; I had a similar experience watching Shinny Happy People on Prime, a documentary about fundamentalist churches in the States and it brought back all of my anxieties / discomfort / unhappiness from my childhood). That being said, I get why she put it there but maybe if she had chopped the sermon by two minutes I could have soldiered through.  

8 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Radiohead is all about social anxiety, being unable to find peace and lasting human connections. Lana tells the story of her doomed romances and decay of the American dream. Although they sound different, they both share the same sadness / melancholy throughout. 

alright, but they do art rock and are critically high acclaimed, and Lana isn't even art pop

46 minutes ago, Good Intentions said:

alright, but they do art rock and are critically high acclaimed, and Lana isn't even art pop

But both are the ultimate "sad music" of their respective genres and styles. Both mix social commentary with romance and tragedy. Both are apocalyptic and nihilistic. Actually if you read their lyrics there are many Lanaisms. I feel like NFR! is her OK Computer.

But if we go to the surface level, they even have similar titles

How to disappear completely / How to disappear

The National Anthem / National Anthem

Videotape / Video Games

High and Dry / "Leave me high and dry"

and more

1 hour ago, trailerparkdream said:

Yes. I feel like a traitor for it but a Lana+Radiohead playlist slaps. 

Omg yes. The other day we were really high with some friends playing a Radiohead + Lana + Tame Impala playlist and :defeated: 

I'm bored so I'm gonna list the Lana songs I use the least from each album:

BTD: Carmen, MDM, Lolita, Lucky Ones

P: I don't really use it at all if I'm being honest, but I use Cola often and American too lately.

UV: I think overall I've used Pretty When You Cry the least off this album, I haven't heard it in full in a long long time. Now that I think about it, I don't use Tracks 7-9 much and never did besides back then I stanned MPG

HM: HBTB. I never use it when I get Honeymoon cravings.

LFL: GBA & WTWWAW....especially the latter, at least GBA has melodies and vocals I like

NFR: This ones hard because I use the whole album more or less. I probably go for VB the least simply cause of the length

COCC: Tulsa, I've never been a fan of the song, and I cannot explain why.

BB: A few I don't touch....

DYK: Love every song but I don't touch The Grants for personal reasons lol

That was fun. Btw, I like p much all of these songs, I just use these ones the very least out of them all. :) I do need to start giving love to some of these and switch up my rotation lol

That just made me think like, maybe NFR is so loved by people because her songwriting kind of hit a sweet spot....still quintessential Lana style, but matured and refined a lot, the production also reflected that.

Truly a once in a lifetime record.

I unironically love Boom Like That. It's one of my favorite Lana unreleased songs. Probably because I used to listen to that kind of music as a kid and it makes me nostalgic every time I listen to it.

url%5D

7 hours ago, honeymo0n said:

i actually really like summer bummer send-text-run-away.gif

it’s a bop :true:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

I don’t think Guns & Roses is as bad as people say it is. I don’t think the black hair or the blonde with strange highlights suit Lana well. It made her look older. COTCC would’ve been appreciated more/recognized as being on the same level of greatness as NFR, but her QFTC post and every other cringe thing she did at that time ruined the era (at least it did for me). I don’t understand the Nikki Lane hate. I think Lana’s better at writing songs rather than poetry even though she loves doing it. I refuse to purchase that poetry book. Oh… and Your Girl should remain in her drafts folder.  :nails:

I don't know how unpopular it is, but:

AKA Yayo > Paradise Yayo

I once thought that imagine if Lana never re-recorded Yayo for Paradise but re-recorded Yayo for Ultraviolence with Dan Auerbach - having that kind of similar rock sound to the Rich Whores version of Yayo. And imagine if Yayo was the closer for UV (standard)...yeah just thoughts :defeated:

url%5D

Idk it's really an unpopular opinion, but I can't stand Millior Dollar Man :toofunny: and the live renditions of this song too. 

On 6/16/2023 at 5:27 PM, PARADIXO said:

Radiohead and Lana actually have a lot in common, but I feel like nobody talks about it 

I've literally been thinking this for so long, you are so right (I am a massive Radiohead fan as well as a massive Lana fan) 

There are actually a good amount of connections you could make between them

2 hours ago, theblackestday111 said:

I've literally been thinking this for so long, you are so right (I am a massive Radiohead fan as well as a massive Lana fan) 

There are actually a good amount of connections you could make between them

omg twins :defeated:

tell me some of the connections you've made please!!

1 hour ago, PARADIXO said:

omg twins :defeated:

tell me some of the connections you've made please!!

I may sound delusional, but hear me out -

Spoiler

This is from Radiohead's old website in the scrap book section:

burnthewitch.png

I know it comes from A Clockwork Orange but just the fact that the word was significant to both of them is enough for me :true:

"If I get old, I will not give in
But if I do, remind me of this
Remind me that once I was free, once I was cool, once I was me/If I get old, remind me of this
The way that we kissed, and I really meant it" from A Reminder reminds me of a reoccurring theme in Lana's music about growing older/the fear of death (Young and Beautiful, Born to Die, Fingertips, etc) and "You're young, you're wild, you're free" from Cruel World.

Black Star & Black Beauty - Similar titles and they are basically about the same thing, being with someone who is depressed and trying to help but it doesn't change anything. "Well, what am I to do?"/"Oh, what can I do?"

No Surprises & Swan Song - As Lana said, “It’s the antithesis of hopefulness,” about Swan Song, I think that meaning could very well be applied to No Surprises as well. They both seem to be about taking one's life or at least escaping from the world in some manner. "I will never sing again/And you won't work another day"/"I'll take a quiet life, a handshake of carbon monoxide" In general, escapism is something both Lana & Radiohead have in common.

In Limbo & Honeymoon - "You're living in a fantasy world"/"Dreaming away your life"

All I Need & Video Games - "You are all I need"/"It's all for you, everything I do"

Anyone Can Play Guitar & Gods and Monsters - "I wanna be, wanna be Jim Morrison"/"I'm livin' like Jim Morrison"

Pyramid Song & The Grants - "All my lovers were there with me/All my past and futures/And we all went to heaven in a little row boat/There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt"/"Do you think about Heaven?/Do you think about me?/My pastor told me when you leave, all you take is your memory/And I'm gonna take minе of you with me"

Then they both have James Bond songs, Spectre & 24 (supposedly)

Then there's the influences that they share, Jeff Buckley, Ennio Morricone, The Beach Boys, The Beatles (and possibly Neil Young & David Bowie?)

There's probably more, but anyways to me they really share a lot of similar themes and feelings, if you get it, you get it, if you don't, you don't I guess

And there's definitely songs that connect to a bunch of different songs (in my mind) but I didn't wanna look too crazy

Thanks for coming to my ted talk :kiss2: