Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

- I don't like the "National Anthem" music video at all. I think a lot of people love it but it's just too Instagram-esque for me.

- I prefer the demos/acoustic versions of the BTD songs to every single studio version. I love it when Lana plays with her voice (e.g. that thing she does live with "Million Dollar Man"). The studio versions are kinda boring in my opinion. The entire song is almost always sung at the same pitch.

- I'm really not sure about her lips. In the beginning, I was certain she had had them done, but now...she's definitely ALWAYS pouting now which is kinda annoying...

- I don't really like the "Ride" video. It's just weird...(was she having sex with that guy on the pin ball machine? It doesn't look like it, it just looks awkward). Also, her "three year long world tour" doesn't fit into her timeline.

- I think the "Ride" video tells Lana Del Rey's story, not Elizabeth Woolridge Grant's.

- I think she lies and exaggerates a lot.

- I like the GQ shoot and I don't think she's an anti-feminist for doing it. She could've been fucking that guy and I still wouldn't think it was anti-feminist.

Still love her though. I'm just always quite sceptical.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I know it was discussed more than a month ago but if you wouldn't mind I'd like to briefly touch on the un-feminist lyrics. As someone who's been in what I now realise were probably unhealthy relationships, albeit exhilarating, I really identify with a lot of what Lana's saying. But just briefly, I in no way mean to diminish or criticise your opinions by saying stuff like "you guys just don't know"; I don't know your lives or your struggles and I'm not prepared to make those judgements so this is merely my experience.

I can see how on the surface a what of her lyrical content seems to be against positive feminist ideals, but when I was in those relationships the power balance felt very natural and like feminism wasn't apart of anything. I was happy to let the men in my life lead me because they made me feel safe and there was a lot of love there. I knew how hard my heart beat for them and I could feel that in them too. For me, to love someone that much in a i-can-hardly-breathe-when-we're-not-together way made me feel so alive. I'm guilty of doing a lot of things I shouldn't have done with them but I was so free. So when they held me a little rough or something similar it didn't matter because it felt like we belonged. I can see why things like that from another perspective may have seemed off and like I was being controlled or smothered but that's not how it felt.

I was going to write a little more but I don't want to just bombard this thread with what is probably not interesting content.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I was going to write a little more but I don't want to just bombard this thread with what is probably not interesting content.

Not at all! I enjoyed reading your post, it was really insightful and I can completely relate to what you were describing. It's a wonderful feeling. :)

14417469274.gif

- I don't like the "National Anthem" music video at all.

You are welcome into my home anytime.

- I prefer the demos/acoustic versions of the BTD songs to every single studio version. I love it when Lana plays with her voice (e.g. that thing she does live with "Million Dollar Man"). The studio versions are kinda boring in my opinion.

This is probably one of the more popular opinions on the forum.

The entire song is almost always sung at the same pitch.

This is not even close to being true. I think you would have quite a laugh if you heard what the song, or any song, would sound like with a one note melody.

- I think the "Ride" video tells Lana Del Rey's story, not Elizabeth Woolridge Grant's.

I think this is a good point to raise in general because there is a tendency to take every single word of every single song of hers as (factual) autobiography.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I know it was discussed more than a month ago but if you wouldn't mind I'd like to briefly touch on the un-feminist lyrics. As someone who's been in what I now realise were probably unhealthy relationships, albeit exhilarating, I really identify with a lot of what Lana's saying. But just briefly, I in no way mean to diminish or criticise your opinions by saying stuff like "you guys just don't know"; I don't know your lives or your struggles and I'm not prepared to make those judgements so this is merely my experience.

I can see how on the surface a what of her lyrical content seems to be against positive feminist ideals, but when I was in those relationships the power balance felt very natural and like feminism wasn't apart of anything. I was happy to let the men in my life lead me because they made me feel safe and there was a lot of love there. I knew how hard my heart beat for them and I could feel that in them too. For me, to love someone that much in a i-can-hardly-breathe-when-we're-not-together way made me feel so alive. I'm guilty of doing a lot of things I shouldn't have done with them but I was so free. So when they held me a little rough or something similar it didn't matter because it felt like we belonged. I can see why things like that from another perspective may have seemed off and like I was being controlled or smothered but that's not how it felt.

I think this is an important perspective. Life is complicated, and things don't always line up according to whatever the conventional expectations are at the moment.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

This is not even close to being true. I think you would have quite a laugh if you heard what the song, or any song, would sound like with a one note melody.

Sorry, I was very inaccurate there. What you said is completely true, I just prefer when she goes crazy with her voice, when she goes from a very deep, husky voice to a high, childish voice. Her voice in the studio versions is just not exciting enough to me.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I feel the same way about my cat!

Really insightful post, thanks :D

-I actually don't care about her lyrics coming off as "un-feminist" and sometimes even like it, if people are going to style their life choices after a lyric, i really have not much to say.

-she looks fucking gorgeous no matter what, but i really cringe when she says she hasn't had any plastic surgery....

-i'm really happy about her settling down and leading a calm happy life, but it also makes me think that she'll never write songs like she did in her lizzy grant days (although this is a really selfish fan pov)

-i think she's so concerned about her old songs flopping, and that she hides behind this new persona she's created for herself, but imo if she released them now, they would be far from flopping, and people would take her seriously.

-i don't think i can ever like "lucky ones"

I can't center this thistumblr_lywc1eFwqG1r939eeo1_500.gif

- I think she lies and exaggerates a lot.

all musicians do. if her songs were about 'yeah i woke up at 8, went out the gate and then down to the store' then her music just wouldn't be the same.

4r9w86.jpg

^ Yeah, then it would probably be more like the music of Brian Wilson, arguably the foremost composer of popular music in the 20th century. sunglasses.gif

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

if her songs were about 'yeah i woke up at 8, went out the gate and then down to the store' then her music just wouldn't be the same.

^ Yeah, then it would probably be more like the music of Brian Wilson, arguably the foremost composer of popular music in the 20th century. sunglasses.gif

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Okay, fuck it for real now, let's just ALL touch dicks in the dark.

Fuck it for real now, a Monicker cover of this song is just begging to be made:

Monickah, could you turn me out?

Show me what your thing is all about...

Do you really wanna touch dicks?

Do you really wanna mess with me tonight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CL89fxfGZI

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.