Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Dark Paradise moves me so very deeply, luv it too.

I've recently beeing thinking about DP and its really not as horrible as people say. I thought about writing an entire long post about how I interpret the lyrics but I've just been too lazy to make it happen.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

I love the "Born to Die" album. And YES this is an unpopular opinion cause lately a lot of people have been trashing it. It's flawless (maybe except Lolita) and it's always gonna be my favorite. 

It's a very relative thing just how good the Ultraviolence video is (e.g., compared to Lorde's Tennis Court video, I'd say UV is "Gone with the Wind"). While my initial thoughts about it were "oh man, this isn't going to go over well", since then I've watched the video most of any from the UV era. It's very enjoyable.

The video is like a blog entry from an artist that doesn't blog/tweet her own thoughts that often. The act of having her boyfriend (admittedly a well-known fashion photographer) film it on her phone is kind of like that. It was also possibly done in defiance of the label, which didn't seem to want to be associated with it *initially* ("Vice is running shit"), but after 2 million views at Noisey (with no copyright notice at the end), it goes to LanaDelReyVevo (and ends with a copyright Polydor notice). Finally, the speculation has been made (twitter 1/6/15 @DelReyLane) that the theme of the video is related to the next album Honeymoon, but what kind of honeymoon can there be if the groom doesn't show up to the wedding?

It's a very relative thing just how good the Ultraviolence video is (e.g., compared to Lorde's Tennis Court video, I'd say UV is "Gone with the Wind"). While my initial thoughts about it were "oh man, this isn't going to go over well", since then I've watched the video most of any from the UV era. It's very enjoyable.

The video is like a blog entry from an artist that doesn't blog/tweet her own thoughts that often. The act of having her boyfriend (admittedly a well-known fashion photographer) film it on her phone is kind of like that. It was also possibly done in defiance of the label, which didn't seem to want to be associated with it *initially* ("Vice is running shit"), but after 2 million views at Noisey (with no copyright notice at the end), it goes to LanaDelReyVevo (and ends with a copyright Polydor notice). Finally, the speculation has been made (twitter 1/6/15 @DelReyLane) that the theme of the video is related to the next album Honeymoon, but what kind of honeymoon can there be if the groom doesn't show up to the wedding?

Good job noticing that. Maybe the UV video that we have is her vision of the song. I have to say that I really like UV video as well!

I don't see the big deal about the rape video. Yes, I think it's clearly supposed to be sexually inticing and stylized (and no doubt reflective of rape fantasies on Lana's part) but that hardly makes it an endorsement of real life rape. Non-sexual violence is so frequently depicted as glamorous, sexy, and cool/badass (Lana has also made light hearted references to murder) and most people can acknowledge that it's intended as pure fantasy, but when it comes to rape people have a harder time being rational. This also extends to all of the BDSM references in Lana's work (''he hit me and it felt likes a kiss'', etc).

Lana's pop songs are great and I feel like people avoid them because they're "too mainstream."

Hit and Run is one of her best pop songs. It is my most played song. Go go Dancer used to have that honor.

I don't like LoD that much and I'm not thirsting for the demo that much.

Emile Haynie improved Lolita. I can't stand any of the demos.

Match Made In Heaven is hilarious. And that makes it awesome. "I'm not a trick but I'm a trick for you, " the terrible autotune. the spiritual successor Ghetto Baby is too bland in comparison.

Puppy Love is underrated.

Back to the Basics is incredible.

Her white girl rapping is cute and I need to hear it more.

The Paradise version of Yayo is the worst Lana song to exist.

Recently I've given the Paradise version Yayo a second chance and I have to say that it's not as bad as I used to think it was. I still don't like the production all too much, but the song isn't bad in whole. I wish she hadn't left out the backing vocals in the hello, Heaven, you are a tunnel lined with yellow lights on a dark night part though, Love it in the original.

Lana's pop songs are great and I feel like people avoid them because they're "too mainstream."

Hit and Run is one of her best pop songs. It is my most played song. Go go Dancer used to have that honor.

Puppy Love is underrated.

Her white girl rapping is cute and I need to hear it more.

yess thruth tea ha

I love Dark Paradise, both the demo and BTD version. The second one is a classic "love stronger than death" song, but Lana style and that's why I love it. The first line of refrain's lyrics is iconic and I love how it describes Lana's art in general.

i am nothing and should be everything

I'm actually surprised liking Dark Paradise seems to be an unpopular opinion, it's a very beautiful song in my opinion. Why don't most people seem to like it?

I'm not sure why. I think it might be a programming problem - the first 6 songs on BTD build up a lot of excitement, and DP slows everything down. Also, the demos hint at it being potentially a very different sort of song, and lots of fans prefer that for some reason. 

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I'm not sure why. I think it might be a programming problem - the first 6 songs on BTD build up a lot of excitement, and DP slows everything down. Also, the demos hint at it being potentially a very different sort of song, and lots of fans prefer that for some reason. 

Hmm yeah, I could understand that. I like both the demo and album version but prefer the album one a bit more. To each their own though :)

I actually think that DP is a good cohesive move for the album. One can argue that BTD is not as good cohesively as other Lana's albums but I don't think it is DP's fault. 

One reason that I can think of why so many people don't like DP is that it sounds like a generic pop song? I liked it at first but after 100+ listens it gets boring

I think every song on BTD is better than their demos. 

I like this opinion because it's a fun argument, but I also love the demos that have a really different take on the song (NA, DP, Lolita, Lucky Ones)

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I don't really know where to post this...

I wonder what happened between Lana and Jaime King. They def had a falling out. Modern day proof: Jaime isn't following Lana on instagram anymore (GOSH I swear I do have a life.) It just seems odd. And now Jaime is besties with TS. I mean, gimme some truth

And now Kyle N. has directed TS's new video Lana style. Copycat much.

:heart:  :heart:  :heart: