Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

50 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

i cant remember what magazine it was with but she said in an interview she's basically done every drug. they asked "even heroin?" and she said "no comment"

i'm not surprised about that at all. It's in her a lot of her songs, I'm pretty sure Barrie did H and Jimmy Gnecco probably did it as well. Someone had to introduce her to it, it was probably a boyfriend. 

And that correlates with what Azealia Banks was saying (not that I care for that woman at all), but still. Even before that twitter fight I'd be looking at Lana's pupils in her selfies, bc I had a problem with opiates myself. I can tell in a heartbeat if someone's on them

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

All of her work after 2015 feels uninspired to me and I rarely listen to her albums now. I’ve overplayed  her renaissance period to death(hopefully I can revisit them soon) -I hope I like Chemtrails as let me love you like a woman did nothing for me.

1 hour ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

You are absolutely right, and I hope that his future work will not be impacted by this desire to smooth his songs, although that is his choice, it would be a waste. Lana is a rare find and she mustn't lose that.

The way you translated my post in French–alors que t'aurais simplement pu me le demander. :rip:

13 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

All of her work after 2015 feels uninspired to me and I rarely listen to her albums now. I’ve overplayed  her renaissance period to death(hopefully I can revisit them soon) -I hope I like Chemtrails as let me love you like a woman did nothing for me.

I honestly agree with that. I have been told that my dislike for 'NFR' is almost comical. But it's not that I dislike the album per say, I do find some songs to be good/great, like I appreciate songs separately (same thing with 'Lust for Life'), it's just that her album as a whole don't appeal to me as much anymore. I don't find them to be uniquely Lana, they miss that spark of oomph. Her work used to be characterized by her unique vision and lyricism, but on her past two albums it felt somewhat absent or sometimes almost satirical or that she was a parody of herself? It's definitely a combination of me getting annoyed at some of her lyricism and finding the production to either be atrocious and/or almost completely forgettable. I honestly hope that 'Chemtrails' marks her return to a more interesting soundscape and less "whatever"/random writing perspective.

29 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

What what you had preferred for to have done differently? Not sarcasm I’m genuinely asking 

I think every album Lana has put out is uniquely her. I know a ton of people miss the lyricism of BTD, but I feel flowery language can only get you so far before it gets stale. Keeping the same style as BTD with all of her albums would have pushed her into a corner. 

I mean, looking back at it, I feel like the subject of Lana losing her spark has been going on since ultraviolence. I remember the complaints about her writing abilities tanking then Honeymoon came and UV was amazing then LFL came and Honeymoon was put on a pedestal and etc. I would agree that she’s simplified her...vision as the album cycles go on but I believe that’s it’s more maturing/her realizing her standing in Hollywood. She doesn’t really have to put on a theatrical album that makes you wish you had an older boyfriend that deals with drug money and buys you pink lipgloss and has women on the side because she’s solidified her skills in the music world. 

I can say good things about each album, I can say bad things about each too. Maybe it’s unpopular to overall like every album she’s put out? Lol. Let Me Love You is actually the first single she’s put out then left me feeling eh, but I have hopes for the album given the teaser we got. 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

23 minutes ago, lizyyygrant said:

What what you had preferred for to have done differently? Not sarcasm I’m genuinely asking 

Honestly what the person above wrote rings very true for me, but I disagree with people saying my dislike is to do with her no longer doing the subject matter of sugar daddies, Lolita characters and femme fatales. I felt she truly changed music between her debut and honeymoon,she mixed her flair with retro music aswell as hip hop beats/psychedelic guitars and recounted her past experiences prior to fame with honesty.

I do not see honesty in her recent albums and she is as out of touch as ever-LA has left her with no new experiences to recount through songs and she doesn’t play with vocals in the same way-it’s all one whispery pleasant breath.

I’m also not fond of the production I know it’s subjective but just feels flat to me-I wish she would experiment more like how it felt with Dan.

52 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Honestly what the person above wrote rings very true for me, but I disagree with people saying my dislike is to do with her no longer doing the subject matter of sugar daddies, Lolita characters and femme fatales. I felt she truly changed music between her debut and honeymoon,she mixed her flair with retro music aswell as hip hop beats/psychedelic guitars and recounted her past experiences prior to fame with honesty.

I do not see honesty in her recent albums and she is as out of touch as ever-LA has left her with no new experiences to recount through songs and she doesn’t play with vocals in the same way-it’s all one whispery pleasant breath.

I’m also not fond of the production I know it’s subjective but just feels flat to me-I wish she would experiment more like how it felt with Dan.

This is pretty much how I feel. It's not that I want her to go back to the same subject matter, what I want back is the creative lyrics and wild vocals and big production. To me, Lana's music has always felt like being in another world, but NFR just feels like regular music. It doesn't have that escapism quality to it, which I guess some people think makes it feel authentic, but I can't get into it.

I understand the dissatisfaction with her work post Honeymoon because she really channeled some otherworldly grandiose cinematic tragedy or whatever then that drew so many of us to her, but I think she's progressed past that in her expressed desire to be more happy or 'normal'... Some are going to like it and it's going to cause upset in others but I don't think we're going to see any more than hints of 2012-2016 Lana going forward, like how I think there are only hints of 'Lizzy Grant' in early LDR.

My preference is for darker elements of her work and I have little interest in anything like Love or LMYLAW, so the new style and subject matter is hit or miss for me. But I do enjoy the bittersweet - melancholic introspection on Violet (audiobook is my fav release since HM...) and Hope, and find those good examples of a convergence between the old and new work, so I look forward to more output of that nature...

Hopefully Chemtrails judging by the title, Interview mag interview and video trailer has more along those lines to offer along with more inspired or thought provoking subject matter than 'let me love you like a woman, let me hold you like a baby' :flop: as she does seem like a thoughtful person obv. I do agree with the above mention that her idyllic LA life is probably not the greatest well of inspiration now that the initial fascination with it has worn off, unless she continues to look inward.

But in generally I find all of her output charming in one way or another !!!

rmeoRD5.gifvUV63Kk.gif KXksriz.gif

.。*゚+.*.。𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓶𝔂 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓬𝓪𝓽𝓬𝓱𝓲𝓷'

𝓸𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓻...゚+..。*゚+

On 1/5/2021 at 11:18 PM, honey dew said:

she still definitely has cringe moments but I agree with the general consensus that NFR is her best work besides Honeymoon ALTHOUFH i also think my main issue with Jack is the way he uses irony like what he did to HTD was obnoxious it could have been the most heart wrenching moment on the album and he just Had to be high brow funny and put a crunchy beat on there to be ironic for the tasteful girls I really hope after chemtrails she works with someone else or David again and goes Lynchian or some thing althoughx2 The greatest still makes want to k*** m****^ Jack has great momence too

Lol I love the beat I think it's like sweet and still sad in a dysthymic way. The jingle bells ruin it tho smh

rmeoRD5.gifvUV63Kk.gif KXksriz.gif

.。*゚+.*.。𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓶𝔂 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓬𝓪𝓽𝓬𝓱𝓲𝓷'

𝓸𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓻...゚+..。*゚+

2 hours ago, orpheline said:

Lol I love the beat I think it's like sweet and still sad in a dysthymic way. The jingle bells ruin it tho smh... It reminds me of a bit of Arthur Lyman's Hawaiian marimba music...

0% chance of realistically happening but a future David Kahne production and/or Lynchian work... say that.

Speaking of Lynch idk if this is unpopular but I never really saw the connection and I think Blue Velvet is her weakest cover because not only is it her most straight forward but it seems like she was just pandering to Lynch comparisons and not recording out of genuine admiration. She always seems ambivalent when he comes up. There are several other cinematic parallels I'd be more apt to draw...

Ok speak on it.... but the live piano version of HTD is a lot more impactful to me and you right the studio version sounds dysthymic personally i feel nothing when i listen to it

I also think the perception of Lynch influence is kind of incidental like listeners have mostly created that idea and i think AKA is maybe the closest thing but anyways people be saying everything is Lynchian these days

11 hours ago, MAX DEL REY said:

I honestly agree with that. I have been told that my dislike for 'NFR' is almost comical. But it's not that I dislike the album per say, I do find some songs to be good/great, like I appreciate songs separately (same thing with 'Lust for Life'), it's just that her album as a whole don't appeal to me as much anymore. I don't find them to be uniquely Lana, they miss that spark of oomph. Her work used to be characterized by her unique vision and lyricism, but on her past two albums it felt somewhat absent or sometimes almost satirical or that she was a parody of herself? It's definitely a combination of me getting annoyed at some of her lyricism and finding the production to either be atrocious and/or almost completely forgettable. I honestly hope that 'Chemtrails' marks her return to a more interesting soundscape and less "whatever"/random writing perspective.

Although I also miss the old lyric style and the cinematic atmospheres of her old song, I think I was most disappointed with the album because it wasn’t really original and unique like they usually are. I used to be able to listen to one of her songs and I’d just know that only Lana could've written it. With any song on NFR, if I heard another indie singer singing it I wouldn’t think twice. 

It’s a unique sound for Lana’s discography but not for music in general. MAC was just a regurgitation of that Lorde song everyone was talking about and NFR was a regurgitation of that big Sam Smith song (can’t remember the names ?). 
The album isn’t bad but it’s not groundbreaking or special in any way imo. Compared to her usual standard, it’s just alright.

Also, wth was she thinking releasing an album with no bops ?

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

idk how unpopular this is, but im not really a fan of the version of Young and Beautiful that lana performed live around the UV era and the version she plays as part of the medley.

im usually SOOO big on alternate live versions, but this one just feels soooo lifeless and the elements that make the song so charming are kinda... not there?? idk

Wq9zHLl.jpg

6 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

idk how unpopular this is, but im not really a fan of the version of Young and Beautiful that lana performed live around the UV era and the version she plays as part of the medley.

im usually SOOO big on alternate live versions, but this one just feels soooo lifeless and the elements that make the song so charming are kinda... not there?? idk

i feel the same about video games, they always add those weird drums and the drummer plays too slow:toofunny: (it happened on show in poland in 2019)

4 minutes ago, Lustformoney said:

i feel the same about video games, they always add those weird drums and the drummer plays too slow:toofunny: (it happened on show in poland in 2019)

omg same, im honestly not a fan of the drums at all :eek3:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

22 hours ago, MAX DEL REY said:

The way you translated my post in French–alors que t'aurais simplement pu me le demander. :rip:

Ahah I hadn't seen that :)

Yes don't worry, it's a habit with me I don't want to disturb :)

(you are French ?)

6 minutes ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

Ahah I hadn't seen that :)

Yes don't worry, it's a habit with me I don't want to disturb :)

(you are French ?)

Native speaker, yes. :wub: