Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

22 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Of course, personal taste affects how you feel about the album, but you can't deny the presence, importance, and determination of the four songs I just listed. If you love this record with all your heart like me, then you probably can speak to the other 10 songs that, in my opinion, are als

It also feels like quintessential Lana and I think that's what makes it such good music; it's comforting because it's very much true to the LDR brand but it offers a perspective that is wistful and productive in a sense! 

I also love the organic feel to the production - something about a good old piano gives the record a timeless quality, alongside some gorgeous guitars, strings, and the few heavier beats here and there. It has everything that is true to who Lana is, all while being cohesive.

I honestly agree with some of your points here, but to be honest, these are the two points that actually make me dislike the album.

This is purely personal, but 'NFR!' is probably the one album in her entire discography that does not feel "quintessential Lana". I feel like a lot of the lyricism, whilst it has been deemed as more mature, kind of comes across as watered down or more palatable for Lana.

A lot of the lyrics on the album also feel somewhat corny (I don't think I'll ever get over how cringy the opening line of that album sounds to me). To each their own I guess. I can see why a lot of people really dig this album from a lyrical or thematical point of view, it definitely feels like her most "organic" and peaceful album in that regards, we're far from the harsher/rougher or less "conventional"

lyrics we heard on her first two albums. This is probably the point were critics have actually appreciated Lana more on this album, as it was something that had been criticized/hated on on her first two/three records.

The production... again, this is up to personal appreciation, but while there are great songs on 'NFR!' like 'Venice Bitch' & 'The greatest'. A lot of the songs on the album kind of lack that feeling or grandeur, intensity and richness in the sound. A lot of the songs on the album have this sort of subdued/flat or dry sound that I just really do not appreciate, it makes some songs have this demo-like quality. The piano composition is quite simplistic in my opinion (and it also sounds really tinny at times). 

Her first three records just had more bite, oomph and bravado than 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!'. They feel much more classical to my ears. There's something about 'NFR!' that feels extremely corny and cheesy.

I guess I really deserve that "biggest Lana hater" Lipster, as I have such a dislike for what is apparently her most appreciated album. :rip:

4 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

in honour of page 420, idk if this is unpopular but - i wish lana had more music to get stoned to :crai:

ill never forget when she posted that Instagram photo of her eyes red and someone asked if she was high and she replied “ew no. Journaling”

or something very similar to that 

HBTB who 

"Don’t forget me"

4 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

omg what i feel like most lana is great to get stoned to! :candy:

idk why but i always associate lana's discography with drinking instead of smoking??? im sure that has absolutely nothing to do with me getting trashed and sobbing to lana in my living room most nights :oopna:

but then of course there's Venice Bitch, Terrence Loves You, Stargirl Interlude, West Coast, all songs that are soooo good to get stoned to, and occasionally WTWWAWWKD, Brooklyn Baby and Get Free are fun for that too :oic:

3 minutes ago, Nikogo said:

ill never forget when she posted that Instagram photo of her eyes red and someone asked if she was high and she replied “ew no. Journaling”

or something very similar to that 

HBTB who 

LOL I remember that!!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

lighting one up right now even though I'm late it's the 421 page :et:

honeymoon is the best album of hers to get stoned to

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

14 minutes ago, MAX DEL REY said:

I honestly agree with some of your points here, but to be honest, these are the two points that actually make me dislike the album.

This is purely personal, but 'NFR!' is probably the one album in her entire discography that does not feel "quintessential Lana". I feel like a lot of the lyricism, whilst it has been deemed as more mature, kind of comes across as watered down or more palatable for Lana.

A lot of the lyrics on the album also feel somewhat corny (I don't think I'll ever get over how cringy the opening line of that album sounds to me). To each their own I guess. I can see why a lot of people really dig this album from a lyrical or thematical point of view, it definitely feels like her most "organic" and peaceful album in that regards, we're far from the harsher/rougher or less "conventional"

lyrics we heard on her first two albums. This is probably the point were critics have actually appreciated Lana more on this album, as it was something that had been criticized/hated on on her first two/three records.

The production... again, this is up to personal appreciation, but while there are great songs on 'NFR!' like 'Venice Bitch' & 'The greatest'. A lot of the songs on the album kind of lack that feeling or grandeur, intensity and richness in the sound. A lot of the songs on the album have this sort of subdued/flat or dry sound that I just really do not appreciate, it makes some songs have this demo-like quality. The piano composition is quite simplistic in my opinion (and it also sounds really tinny at times). 

Her first three records just had more bite, oomph and bravado than 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!'. They feel much more classical to my ears. There's something about 'NFR!' that feels extremely corny and cheesy.

I guess I really deserve that "biggest Lana hater" Lipster, as I have such a dislike for what is apparently her most appreciated album. :rip:

I respect your opinion! I actually think music that is made by a true artist does exactly this - it divides and encourages conversation!

What's funny is that a lot of people claim NFR to be lyrically 'watered down' (and I don't know if this is because maybe I grew up with Lana and so my sensibility and personal taste I guess has been shaped by her since I discovered her 11 years ago when I was entering my teens) but I found it, paired with the singer-songwriter-ish production, to reflect her maturation and I think the subdued sound and simplicity that you mentioned was intentional (or at least was on Lana's mind on a subconscious level) because she was in a place where paring things down was what she needed. The lyrical transparency of NFR compared to her other records is endearing to me! 

I love all the records that came before NFR just as much and I disagree with critics' negative characterizations of those records 100% - but I see the beauty in the simplicity of a record like NFR and I personally appreciate it for what it is!

To each their own! <3

17 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

I respect your opinion! I actually think music that is made by a true artist does exactly this - it divides and encourages conversation!

What's funny is that a lot of people claim NFR to be lyrically 'watered down' (and I don't know if this is because maybe I grew up with Lana and so my sensibility and personal taste I guess has been shaped by her since I discovered 11 years ago when I was entering my teens) but I found it, paired with the singer-songwriter-ish production, to reflect her maturation and I think the subdued sound and simplicity that you mentioned was intentional (or at least was on Lana's mind on a subconscious level) because she was in a place where paring things down was what she needed. The lyrical transparency of NFR compared to her other records is endearing to me! 

I love all the records that came before NFR just as much and I disagree with critics' negative characterizations of those records 100% - but I see the beauty in the simplicity of a record like NFR and I personally appreciate it for what it is!

To each their own! <3

Thank you for your input. :)

'NFR!' has just never hit any spots for me. I have just a very strong appreciation for Lana's first three records! Each one of them represent something special for me (I guess I'm just stuck with the memories of when they came out and listening to them non-stop) and while I really tried to connect with the album, that connection has just never happened. Sonically, while there are a few songs I really appreciate on this album, the rest of it never striked me as something unique music wise, much less uniquely Lana. 

But I'm really hopeful for what's to come, even though the first single just kinda felt like something straight out of 'NFR!', with the snippet and the imagery she has been teasing I feel like the album will go down a more interesting road and I'm here for that!

5 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

my most unpopular opinion is that i really enjoyed violet.  It won't happen, but, theoretically, even if she dropped cocc and decided to do another poetry album instead i would love that :headache:

i looove violet and have listened to/re-read it over and over...can't wait for more poetry from her too :kiss2:

aOaIzH2.gif

39 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

my most unpopular opinion is that i really enjoyed violet.  It won't happen, but, theoretically, even if she dropped cocc and decided to do another poetry album instead i would love that :headache:

i bought it but still haven't done more than skim it for 3 minutes :headache:

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

NFR is lyrically incomparable to the other girls like I kind of find UV unbearable these days actually which is sad because it used to be my favourite "You took my sadness out of context at the mariner's apartment complex" :flutter: VS "I'm a sad girl I'm a sad girl I'm a sad girl I'm on fire baby I'm on fire he's got the fire" :toofloppy: it's embarrassing me and my homegirl

she still definitely has cringe moments but I agree with the general consensus that NFR is her best work besides Honeymoon ALTHOUFH i also think my main issue with Jack is the way he uses irony like what he did to HTD was obnoxious it could have been the most heart wrenching moment on the album and he just Had to be high brow funny and put a crunchy beat on there to be ironic for the tasteful girls I really hope after chemtrails she works with someone else or David again and goes Lynchian or some thing althoughx2 The greatest still makes want to k*** m****^ Jack has great momence too

IJS Jack  could never do something as unique and bold as Honeymoon

4 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

Norman Fucking Rockwell deserves all of the acclaim it gets - which I know is not an unpopular opinion outside of this site.

The album feels fresh and expansive for Lana without feeling disingenuous and it yields some of Lana's objectively best songs of her career

Absolutely. While I understand that many feel as though her characteristic soundscape wasn’t well-represented, I feel like the core identity of her artistry and what distinguishes her from other musicians was just as prominent on NFR as any other record she’s released. 

I think NFR convinced skeptics of her raw talent and insight without the need of lush production, and I think hope demonstrates this pretty well. With only a piano and her voice, she maintains this acutely introspective awareness of her own past and emotions that we’ve grown to admire. It’s beautiful & mature songwriting, and it’s so distinctly her own: a ballad chock-full of purposeful references and imagery that do not rely on the coloring of additional instrumentation. 

Does the record have weak moments? Sure, but I genuinely think NFR stands a great chance at being considered of the most timeless & objectively solid records released in the past few decades

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

31 minutes ago, honey dew said:

NFR is lyrically incomparable to the other girls like I kind of find UV unbearable these days actually which is sad because it used to be my favourite "You took my sadness out of context at the mariner's apartment complex" :flutter: VS "I'm a sad girl I'm a sad girl I'm a sad girl I'm on fire baby I'm on fire he's got the fire" :toofloppy: it's embarrassing me and my homegirl

You are comparing the lyrically strongest song on one album to one of the lyrically weakest on the other, and furthermore, a verse to a chorus. Not really a solid argument. 

Lana said herself on the Grammys red carpet that NFR is a "safe" album and it is, by her standards, as it doesn't deal with any controversial themes like most of her previous work. That doesn't make it a bad album, but there's nothing particularly groundbreaking about it sonically or thematically, imo. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

14 minutes ago, RormanNockwell said:

You are comparing the lyrically strongest song on one album to one of the lyrically weakest on the other, and furthermore, a verse to a chorus. Not really a solid argument. 

Lana said herself on the Grammys red carpet that NFR is a "safe" album and it is, by her standards, as it doesn't deal with any controversial themes like most of her previous work. That doesn't make it a bad album, but there's nothing particularly groundbreaking about it sonically or thematically, imo. 

tbf I just read the interview (maybe it’s not the same one?) and I didn’t really discern “really safe, serene, and fun in my personal life and music” as something that is not up to her standards. to me it seems like she wants her music and life in general to be like that - especially after living what I would imagine to be a very unstable life. I feel like she wants her music to be a safe place for her to connect with and lose herself in without any worries. Right after that she says she wants her music to be deeper and smarter, so idk. Or maybe I’m just reading it wrong lol 

sgopYhV.gif

paradise used to be my favorite lana project for years like i would defend that album to the death but maybe i've overplayed or something cause it does nothing for me anymore.. ride being the exception. i think most of it has to do with the production and some of the melodies cause i absolutely love the lyrics but songs like gods & monsters and bel air just feel like listening to the same one minute loop for 4 minutes, which is essentially what a song is lmao.. but that never ending drum loop in g&m and the tempo literally never changes :prettyhurts: .

also cola and body electric feel like the exact same song with different lyrics and yayo just feels so bleak compared to the original version.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

19 minutes ago, JehovahThikness said:

tbf I just read the interview (maybe it’s not the same one?) and I didn’t really discern “really safe, serene, and fun in my personal life and music” as something that is not up to her standards. to me it seems like she wants her music and life in general to be like that - especially after living what I would imagine to be a very unstable life. I feel like she wants her music to be a safe place for her to connect with and lose herself in without any worries. Right after that she says she wants her music to be deeper and smarter, so idk. Or maybe I’m just reading it wrong lol 

I'm not sure which interview you're referring to but on the Grammys red carpet, she said that she thought it was interesting that a relatively "safe" album had been so successful. I don't remember her exact words but I'm reasonably sure that that was the gist of the exchange. 

She can sing about whatever she wants and everyone is entitled to prefer whatever album/s they want, but I just don't agree with people who think it was somehow a risky album. I suppose you could interpret playing it safe as risky, but other than that ..

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

1 hour ago, honey dew said:

she still definitely has cringe moments but I agree with the general consensus that NFR is her best work besides Honeymoon ALTHOUFH i also think my main issue with Jack is the way he uses irony like what he did to HTD was obnoxious it could have been the most heart wrenching moment on the album and he just Had to be high brow funny and put a crunchy beat on there to be ironic for the tasteful girls I really hope after chemtrails she works with someone else or David again and goes Lynchian or some thing althoughx2 The greatest still makes want to k*** m****^ Jack has great momence too

IJS Jack  could never do something as unique and bold as Honeymoon

Sad Girl is a bop and has Lynch vibes. End this slander.

edit: I forgot I was in the unpopular opinons thread :rip: 

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.