Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

On 12/10/2020 at 8:18 AM, DCooper said:

Agreeed.

Let's not pretend that "I drive fast, radio blares, have to touch myself to pretend you're there" is a more unique lyric than almost everything she wrote on NFR. People can say what they want about the production of NFR (which I strongly disagree with - I think it's perfect and deliberate and aging like fine wine) but I really don't understand how people can say NFR is lyrically safe or boring. It's some of her best and most unique songwriting, and the album will easily stand the test of time for good reason.

I agree! never understood why people call it 'safe'. Like, yes it is enjoyed by the GP (maybe not even the 'GP' - it's not even played on the radio all the time or anything - but music critics, which are bit more niche than what people may think imo) but there are just some albums that can be good AND liked by the GP just saying lol. It's like saying TPAB by Kendrick or Igor by Tyler were safe because they got Grammy nominations or are some of their most recognized albums like :eek2: i feel like if it was less popular or didn't do as well critically it would be seen as a gem tbh 

sgopYhV.gif

I prefer The Next Best American Record in comparison to the "demo." I feel like the version on Norman is much closer to the original version of the song that she had planned than the one that leaked was. She said that she talks about Malibu and Topanga in Architecture, but that wasn't anywhere to be found in what was leaked. I do think that TNBAR is "Architecture" in its polished form. 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I don't like that she's putting her friends and family in every single visual thing ever now. 

They were on the NFR covers, in the 3-part mv, in the TG/FIILY mv (which was mostly her strutting about down at the docks, but still), in the LMLYLAW and Summertime mvs, and they're all going to be in the COCC mv. 

Of course it's fine to do that occasionally, but does it have to be everything?

It reminds me of how you let your 5-year-old cousin help you with something - you know it's not gonna be perfect because they're 5 but you love them so you let them "help" anyway. I can only hope that COCC, the song, isn't too infused with them.

I suppose it bothers me because visual imagery and escape used to be one of the strengths of her art, and it's disappointing that that's gone. You could argue that it's much more personal and therefore better now, but SoC was her best mv ever and used professional actors. It's unlikely that you can get that same standard with Chunk and the Cha Cha Matchas. Furthermore, it's not as if she's using them to portray personal storylines (which would be more acceptable); she's just using them in place of professional actors. It's similar to how she uses Chunk to take all her photos, although at least Chunk is a photographer. Val and Alex, for example, are not actresses. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Il y a 15 heures, RormanNockwell a déclaré:

Je n'aime pas qu'elle mette ses amis et sa famille dans chaque chose visuelle. 

Ils étaient sur les couvertures de la NFR, dans le mv en 3 parties, dans le mv TG / FIILY (qui était principalement son défilé sur les quais, mais quand même), dans les mvs LMLYLAW et Summertime, et ils vont tous être dans le mv COCC. 

Bien sûr, c'est bien de le faire de temps en temps, mais faut-il que ce soit tout?

Cela me rappelle comment tu as laissé ton cousin de 5 ans t'aider avec quelque chose - tu sais que ça ne va pas être parfait parce qu'ils ont 5 ans mais tu les aimes donc tu les laisse "t'aider" quand même. Je ne peux qu'espérer que COCC, la chanson, n'en est pas trop imprégnée.

Je suppose que cela me dérange parce que l'imagerie visuelle et l'évasion étaient l'une des forces de son art, et c'est décevant que ce soit parti. On pourrait dire que c'est beaucoup plus personnel et donc meilleur maintenant, mais SoC était son meilleur MV de tous les temps et utilisait des acteurs professionnels. Il est peu probable que vous puissiez obtenir le même standard avec Chunk et les Cha Cha Matcha. De plus, ce n'est pas comme si elle les utilisait pour décrire des histoires personnelles (ce qui serait plus acceptable); elle les utilise simplement à la place d'acteurs professionnels. C'est similaire à la façon dont elle utilise Chunk pour prendre toutes ses photos, même si au moins Chunk est un photographe. Val et Alex, par exemple, ne sont pas des actrices. 

Je suis tellement d'accord avec toi.

J'adore le fait que Lana ne reste pas dans sa bulle parfaite et ne s'ouvre pas aux gens, le fait qu'elle soit une personne simple en fait, mais je trouve que ses clips faits maison n'ont plus la même saveur car elle est moins mise en scène et invite trop de monde, ça ressemble plus à un album de souvenirs de vacances sorti sur Instagram.

J'adore le fait qu'elle fasse ses vidéos maison mais quand elle est seule ou incorpore un personnage en accord avec sa musique pour que ça ait du sens (comme Barrie pour sa reprise de SW) et surtout avec ses anciens filtres, sinon on se sent tout de suite plus impersonnel et oubliable.

Elle me manque aussi lorsqu'elle a sorti de vrais chefs-d'œuvre sous forme de vidéoclips: Ride et son scénario emblématique, National Anthem, Born to Die, voire des jeux vidéo et de la tristesse estivale. : wub:

Le chef-d'œuvre de Tropico trop sous-estimé! J'espère qu'elle recommencera un jour, avec une Lana iconique, belle et conquérante de l'Amérique de la débauche, avec sa musique empoisonnée sans oublier ses vieillards qui vous font fantasmer. : wub:

Et je n'aime pas le fait qu'elle mette Chuck partout. Je ne la trouve pas si talentueuse et elle prend les pires photos de Lana, ou les moins spectaculaires.

Lana a besoin de travailler avec des personnes spécifiques, elle a une beauté et un style très spécifiques. Neil Krug reste le meilleur photographe pour elle, j'espère qu'il fera ses clips un jour.

Mais je sais qu'elle reviendra un jour quand elle sera fatiguée de sa vie ennuyeuse :)

I still havent connected with the album title, It just doesnt make sense to me:scoff: Chemtrails, Country Clubs, and now in the teaser trailer theres a flippin WOLF?? Im kinda just waiting blind. I really liked LMLYLAW so I think I will like the album ? :flutter: 

I dont understand in the slightest why everyone hates the children's children line in Coachella.. I like that line and find that whole part very sentimental and touching. like.. WHAT ABOUT all these children and all their children's children??? so true Lana... I also love the 'Stranger than a stranger' line in freak that everyone seems to hate as well. is it just the repetition that people hate cuz like why... :uh:

16 minutes ago, urgirl said:

I dont understand in the slightest why everyone hates the children's children line in Coachella.. I like that line and find that whole part very sentimental and touching. like.. WHAT ABOUT all these children and all their children's children??? so true Lana... I also love the 'Stranger than a stranger' line in freak that everyone seems to hate as well. is it just the repetition that people hate cuz like why... :uh:

I like the stranger than a stranger line. its not her best but i don't know why people act like its so awful. Its not even repetition cause she's using the word in 2 different ways (STRANGER like "more strange" and STRANGER like "an unknown person")

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

16 minutes ago, urgirl said:

Okay but she erased an entire generation:

What about all these children and all their children's children?

What about the children's children? She only cares about the children and the children's children's children.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

1 minute ago, RormanNockwell said:

Okay but she erased an entire generation:

What about all these children and all their children's children?

What about the children's children? She only cares about the children and the children's children's children.

fuck them children's children 

Does anyone else feel that since Lana has such a plethora of solid released music, it's harder to keep track or listen to her unreleased songs now compared to the BtD - UV era (I'm talking mainly the 'classic' unreleased like TV in Black and White, Prom Song, Starry Eyed - songs from that era)? I mention this because I listened to songs like JFK, TV in Black and White, and Behind Closed Doors for the first time probably in 2 years or more and it made me so nostalgic and it's bittersweet to see how much she's grown and progressed as an artist :crai:

sgopYhV.gif

19 hours ago, urgirl said:

I've always liked the repetition in "children's children" because it always reminds me of a line in Les Colchiques by Apollinaire:

"Ils cueillent les colchiques qui sont comme des mères
Filles de leurs filles et sont couleur de tes paupières"

Found this translation, maybe not the best:

"They pick the crocuses which are like mothers
Daughters of their daughters and are the color of your eyelids"

i used to hate nfr cuz its so different to what made me a lana stan but it grew on me and its okay. Theres no comparision to Uv, Paradise, Honeymoon etc but its stil...correct. People who say its her best album need help tho:tommy:every single instrumental (by jack) sounds the same

3 minutes ago, Lustformoney said:

i used to hate nfr cuz its so different to what made me a lana stan but it grew on me and its okay. Theres no comparision to Uv, Paradise, Honeymoon etc but its stil...correct. People who say its her best album need help tho:tommy:every single instrumental (by jack) sounds the same

I can never say what Lana's "best album" is. For me her best is what my vibe is at the current moment! I suppose I prefer it that way. It makes it more fun for me. Lately my mood has been LFL.

2 minutes ago, Lentilus said:

I can never say what Lana's "best album" is. For me her best is what my vibe is at the current moment! I suppose I prefer it that way. It makes it more fun for me. Lately my mood has been LFL.

same!! this entire year was a lfl and honeymoon moment for me

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

Never done one of these, but here are a few of mine: 

Swan Song is one of the best songs she’s produced in terms of atmosphere. 

•The bridge to Wait for Life is one of her most vocally emotive performances; in bridge, she combines jazz improv singing with near-screaming of the phrase, “Feels like I’m falling apart.”

•I feel as though LMLYLAW won’t be fully representative of COCC’s sound in the same way Bartender didn’t encompass all of the sonic elements on NFR.  

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

1 minute ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

Never done one of these, but here are a few of mine: 

Swan Song is one of the best songs she’s produced in terms of atmosphere. 

•The bridge to Wait for Life is one of her most vocally emotive performances; in bridge, she combines jazz improv singing with near-screaming of the phrase, “Feels like I’m falling apart.”

•I feel as though LMLYLAW won’t be fully representative of COCC’s sound in the same way Bartender didn’t encompass all of the sonic elements on NFR.  

I agree with all of this guess I'm unpopular

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

whether you like it or not, i really think bartender is one of her most (if not the most) unique released songs. she really goes full on singer/songwriter here. even though she does basically the same with HIADT, i feel like bartender is the first happier piano ballad she's made lol i remember hearing the snippet and literally not knowing where the song could go next 

sgopYhV.gif