Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

56 minutes ago, Doll Harlow said:

Sad Girl is a bop and has Lynch vibes. End this slander.

edit: I forgot I was in the unpopular opinons thread :rip: 

Sad girl was at 1 point my favourite Lana song i still love the sound but the lyrics girl

2 hours ago, RormanNockwell said:

You are comparing the lyrically strongest song on one album to one of the lyrically weakest on the other, and furthermore, a verse to a chorus. Not really a solid argument. 

Lana said herself on the Grammys red carpet that NFR is a "safe" album and it is, by her standards, as it doesn't deal with any controversial themes like most of her previous work. That doesn't make it a bad album, but there's nothing particularly groundbreaking about it sonically or thematically, imo. 

I mean, I can’t speak for the OP, but I really feel as though NFR’s best lyrical moments really showed a progression in depth, maturity, and nuance when compared to UV’s lyrical highlights. 

I also feel that NFR (at least thematically and in terms of songwriting) was often just as risky and explorative. In NFR (the album), she describes sex with a frank flippancy, touches on her history of hard drug & alcohol use, reflects on the turmoil of the political environment, and addresses her mental health in both a poetic and sometimes graphic way. 

In terms of raw vocal emotiveness and a similar production, Ultraviolence takes the cake, and that’s why I love them almost equally. However, I would argue that NFR not being controversial doesn’t detract from it being groundbreaking from a lyrical or thematic standpoint, but that’s just me:)

also, out of curiosity, is there any chance you had a link to where Lana described NFR as being safe from that aspect? I was trying to find the video but was struggling lol

edit: to clarify, there were aspects to the record I felt were “safe,” but lyrics and themes were—for the most part—not included 

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

2 hours ago, RormanNockwell said:

You are comparing the lyrically strongest song on one album to one of the lyrically weakest on the other, and furthermore, a verse to a chorus. Not really a solid argument. 

Lana said herself on the Grammys red carpet that NFR is a "safe" album and it is, by her standards, as it doesn't deal with any controversial themes like most of her previous work. That doesn't make it a bad album, but there's nothing particularly groundbreaking about it sonically or thematically, imo. 

The strongest lyrics on UV are probably from The Other Woman that's all I got to say.. . . NFR has objectively less corn lyric-wise but I also don't think it's groundbreaking sonically or thematically like I said my main criticism is Jack's sounds

19 minutes ago, honey dew said:

The strongest lyrics on UV are probably from The Other Woman that's all I got to say.. . . NFR has objectively less corn lyric-wise but I also don't think it's groundbreaking sonically or thematically like I said my main criticism is Jack's sounds

“objectively less corn” made me laugh thank you for this lol

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

Heroin: Her best bridge. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

5 minutes ago, Mer said:

Heroin: Her best bridge. 

I don’t know if it’s my all-time favorite bridge, but holy fuck is it good! The emotion paired with the key change really adds to how intense & dark the lyrics are 

You can completely tell Lana meant it when she said it was her most personal song from LFL

Sylvia Plath 

26 minutes ago, Lustformoney said:

i hate Happiness with my whole heart, its such a flop, i just cant handle this song

Happiness is a butterfly or Is this Happiness?

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

2 hours ago, Lustformoney said:

butterfly. I love is this happiness

Okay. 

Kinda understand you...it's probably my least fave song of NFR!  It feels like she merged three choruses together...but I like that they put some instrumentation into some parts of the song though 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1 hour ago, Pico Boulevard said:

Okay. 

Kinda understand you...it's probably my least fave song of NFR!  It feels like she merged three choruses together...but I like that they put some instrumentantion into some parts of the song though 

I agree! I love the song for its separate parts but when it all comes together it feels so disjointed!

Every snippet she posted made me love it more and more and more (it was my most anticipated song) and then we got the song and :horror2:

it could have been broken into separate parts and used as little interludes or something

"Don’t forget me"

7 hours ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

I mean, I can’t speak for the OP, but I really feel as though NFR’s best lyrical moments really showed a progression in depth, maturity, and nuance when compared to UV’s lyrical highlights. 

I also feel that NFR (at least thematically and in terms of songwriting) was often just as risky and explorative. In NFR (the album), she describes sex with a frank flippancy, touches on her history of hard drug & alcohol use, reflects on the turmoil of the political environment, and addresses her mental health in both a poetic and sometimes graphic way. 

In terms of raw vocal emotiveness and a similar production, Ultraviolence takes the cake, and that’s why I love them almost equally. However, I would argue that NFR not being controversial doesn’t detract from it being groundbreaking from a lyrical or thematic standpoint, but that’s just me:)

also, out of curiosity, is there any chance you had a link to where Lana described NFR as being safe from that aspect? I was trying to find the video but was struggling lol

edit: to clarify, there were aspects to the record I felt were “safe,” but lyrics and themes were—for the most part—not included 

Might sound like I'm going to pick and chose, but to me 'NFR' has probably the corniest lyrics on any Lana albums. Like I said in a previous post, I absolutely dislike the opening line of that album "Goddamn man-chil, you fucked me so good that I almost said I love you". Or in 'MAC', the way she sings "Don't look to far, right where you are, that's where I am" idk just the way she sings it doesn't sound melodic at all. In 'Love song' "we go fast, we go fast, we don't move". 'Fuck it I luh you'... enough said. 'HIAB', she's cute, but lyrically it feels like she mashed three songs together and called it a day. 'hiadtfawlmth-bihi', I know some of you look at this song as being some sort of career highlight for Lana, but I absolutely dislike the lyrics "I was reading Slim Aarons and I got to think that I thought".

I feel like compared to her other albums' lyrics, 'NFR' feels the most normal and less speculative, more grounded in reality and not in her so called 'cinematic'/Lana universe. 

Anyway, I guess all of that is up for personal interpretation or appreciation. But I don't see 'NFR' as being more mature than any other of her albums, I see the album as being lyrically palatable, more conventional in terms of songwriting and less shocking than what she has released prior. You can already tell by the snippet we heard last week, that, at least with the title track, Lana is back into a more mysterious/fantasized writing style.

@MAX DEL REY What do you think about TJF lyrics so far ?  I love to read your posts actually...even though I don't agree with everything ..it's really interesting & you name some really good points

But yeah NFR! is not a bad album to me and I like it but I do think it's her least "Lana-sounding" album..so I'm not surprised that it got praised by the critics the most 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

I personally don't see NFR as safe at all. She was able to strip away some of the dramatic lushness that she's known for and explore things in a more grounded way, while still managing to make an album that feels both intimate and cinematic in equal measure. It feels like a whole lifetime is lived in this album and it's a really beautiful and compelling journey from start to finish for me. 

1 hour ago, Pico Boulevard said:

@MAX DEL REY What do you think about TJF lyrics so far ?  I love to read your posts actually...even though I don't agree with everything ..it's really interesting & you name some really good points

But yeah NFR! is not a bad album to me and I like it but I do think it's her least "Lana-sounding" album..so I'm not surprised that it got praised by the critics the most 

I don't really have an opinion so far, waiting to hear the full thing. ? 

1 hour ago, MAX DEL REY said:

Might sound like I'm going to pick and chose, but to me 'NFR' has probably the corniest lyrics on any Lana albums. Like I said in a previous post, I absolutely dislike the opening line of that album "Goddamn man-chil, you fucked me so good that I almost said I love you". Or in 'MAC', the way she sings "Don't look to far, right where you are, that's where I am" idk just the way she sings it doesn't sound melodic at all. In 'Love song' "we go fast, we go fast, we don't move". 'Fuck it I luh you'... enough said. 'HIAB', she's cute, but lyrically it feels like she mashed three songs together and called it a day. 'hiadtfawlmth-bihi', I know some of you look at this song as being some sort of career highlight for Lana, but I absolutely dislike the lyrics "I was reading Slim Aarons and I got to think that I thought".

i agree w the HIAB criticism. i always thought it was a cheesy song title to begin with. the song did grow on me, but at first i thought it was weird and not cohesive. the "taxi" part is what makes the song tbh. otherwise, i don't think her other songs off of NFR are that cheesy. sure, has she had better song writing, duh. but i still love this album. even if its not my favorite of hers.

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

Just now, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

i agree w the HIAB criticism. i always thought it was a cheesy song title to begin with. the song did grow on me, but at first i thought it was weird and not cohesive. the "taxi" part is what makes the song tbh. otherwise, i don't think her other songs off of NFR are that cheesy. sure, has she had better song writing, duh. but i still love this album. even if its not my favorite of hers.

Agreed 100%. It's not to say that I hate 'NFR' per say, it's just not my favourite album of hers, there are still song in there I love. I just didn't "love" the album from the getgo and don't really find myself revisiting it often. ??‍♂️

Lyrically 'HIAB' feels mod-podged. :rip: