Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

whenever get free comes on i fantasize im one of those basic white bitches in an indie movie who's leaning her head on her arm with the other out the window of a car, driving along the california coast. then i walk in slow mo on the beach, facing away from the camera, obviously 

what im saying is that get free makes me feel like i don't have mental illness for 4 minutes and im forever grateful for her 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

Although now iconic and instrumental in imparting 'Lana Del Rey' in the public's consciousness, in retrospect I find most of her work with Nicole Nodland somewhat corny and heavy handed and I would not be all that excited to see them collab again :smokes:

rmeoRD5.gifvUV63Kk.gif KXksriz.gif

.。*゚+.*.。𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓶𝔂 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓬𝓪𝓽𝓬𝓱𝓲𝓷'

𝓸𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓮𝓻...゚+..。*゚+

At some point in the future, I really hope Lana dives headfirst into a really specific and experimental genre & maintains it throughout the entirety of the record (even if it’s not my initial personal preference). 

I think this is why Honeymoon and Ultraviolence are lauded for both their originality and cohesion but produce polarizing opinions among her listeners and critics. These genre-heavy sounds are often growers but showcase her ability to adopt & complement a soundscape with her own artistry. 

UV, HM, and NFR are practically equal in my eyes, but personal (and very subjective) wish for her last record was that it would have a more..readily recognizable(?) sound. Idk if this makes sense but maybe someone gets it 

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

Neil Krug is a groovy photographer (ive implemented him into many of my photography essays in the past) but all of his worst work is w Lana (except 1 or 2 pics i rly love)  . look at his work w other models and artists and it’s levels above what he did for lana 

RVhKIwP.gif

1 hour ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

At some point in the future, I really hope Lana dives headfirst into a really specific and experimental genre & maintains it throughout the entirety of the record (even if it’s not my initial personal preference). 

I think this is why Honeymoon and Ultraviolence are lauded for both their originality and cohesion but produce polarizing opinions among her listeners and critics. These genre-heavy sounds are often growers but showcase her ability to adopt & complement a soundscape with her own artistry. 

UV, HM, and NFR are practically equal in my eyes, but personal (and very subjective) wish for her last record was that it would have a more..readily recognizable(?) sound. Idk if this makes sense but maybe someone gets it 

totally agree... obv there's a natural inclination to experiment and find your sound early on which is why a lot of unreleased stuff is so fun to hear especially. It's nice and natural to settle into something that works for you but I'd love to hear something more out there again !

I know a lot of people say NFR is her most un-Lana album but honestly the most un-Lana album for me really has to be LFL (and honestly I still love most of it!) I feel like songs like Cherry, WM, and 13 Beaches touch Lana-isms in a more superficial way. Maybe it's the crazy amount of reverb in her voice? The actual lyrics/sounds themselves? Songs like IMF, Coachella, Summer Bummer (even regarding Ridin'), and even Change feel really different from her previous discography for me. While I do feel like NFR does expand on some aspects from LFL, mainly the singer/songwriter aspect of Change/TNC, and is different from her other established works, it honestly does still feel more Lana than LFL for me (but tbh, I feel like most works post-UV depart from what BtD/UV set for her tbh). Even then, I GREATLY appreciate that songs like Get Free and Heroin weren't afraid to break free from this mold and create their own legacies and pathways in her discography. 

sgopYhV.gif

Hi all, I’m back :oopna::creepna3:

I’ve always shared my unpopular opinion about not liking NFR, but I think I just out unpopular opinioned myself :thumb2:

I think How To Disappear is one of the best album tracks, instrumentally  

I know you’re all upset that it wasn’t the piano ballad she teased and premiered but I think the final production is 1000X’s better. I’ve been re-listening to NFR in anticipation for Lana and Jack’s newest baby and HTD is the one that’s been sticking out the most to me. The strings, bells, guitar, random beats. I love it 

:squidward:

"Don’t forget me"

23 minutes ago, Nikogo said:

This is a hot take I don’t hear super often!!

While I personally prefer the piano version for that specific track because it seemed to pair well with the wistful message, I still think the studio instrumental is really interesting. 

The mellotron in the studio version has this very hazy, melting(?) quality that I think would sounds really fucking cool on a “trippy” track, and I wouldn’t mind her exploring this more experimental sound more!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

20 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

This is a hot take I don’t hear super often!!

While I personally prefer the piano version for that specific track because it seemed to pair well with the wistful message, I still think the studio instrumental is really interesting. 

The mellotron in the studio version has this very hazy, melting(?) quality that I think would sounds really fucking cool on a “trippy” track, and I wouldn’t mind her exploring this more experimental sound more!

I used to not even listen to it because the lyrics never really grabbed me (from

the first snippet she teased to the full apple performed) and I never paid enough attention to the instrumental because I was so focused on the not liking the lyrics aspect :thumb2:

But now, since I realized I like the instrumental, I find myself relating to the lyrics more 

I agree though! The instrumental we got is ‘trippy’ and I love the key change instrumental break! I love piano so much (I’ve played for almost 15 years now!) but that instrumental break wouldn’t have been a quarter as interesting without all the interesting instrumentals mixing together!

"Don’t forget me"

59 minutes ago, Nikogo said:

Hi all, I’m back :oopna::creepna3:

I’ve always shared my unpopular opinion about not liking NFR, but I think I just out unpopular opinioned myself :thumb2:

I know you’re all upset that it wasn’t the piano ballad she teased and premiered but I think the final production is 1000X’s better. I’ve been re-listening to NFR in anticipation for Lana and Jack’s newest baby and HTD is the one that’s been sticking out the most to me. The strings, bells, guitar, random beats. I love it 

:squidward:

it definitely is. the lofi-ness, the sleigh bells, the guitar break - they all create this nostalgic feeling as if we are looking back to when lana used to live in nyc

i was not interested in HTD the slightest when she posted the first snippet cuz it was just another piano ballad, but the instrumental really made the song for me

image.png

3 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

it definitely is. the lofi-ness, the sleigh bells, the guitar break - they all create this nostalgic feeling as if we are looking back to when lana used to live in nyc

i was not interested in HTD the slightest when she posted the first snippet cuz it was just another piano ballad, but the instrumental really made the song for me

Yes agreed 100%!! I’m the same way, I always overlooked the song because the first snippet didn’t do much for me and the live apple performance also didn’t do much for me, but the brilliance of the instrumental has really hit me hard!

"Don’t forget me"

296dd4331cf39efebec15dbc00809048.jpg

I love this outfit. :awkney:

My favorite thing about lmlylaw is the single cover. :awkney:

Violet is her best album since Honeymoon. :awkney:

35 minutes ago, orpheline said:

i don't really understand why people hate this outfit, it's really not that bad :awkney:

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

10 hours ago, LemonadeHeavens said:

i don't really understand why people hate this outfit, it's really not that bad :awkney:

I have to laugh whenever it's posted nonetheless :awkney:

9 hours ago, LemonadeHeavens said:

Although this outfit really falls short of her previous outfits, what’s considered stylish to some isn’t stylish to others and that’s fine. If she wants to dress up like a grandma to attend an event created by one of the most prestigious music awards ever then that’s fine. People should be able to dress however they want BUT I will not defend those dirty ass shoes. Cmon ma’am. A pack of wet wipes only costs 99p

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

11 hours ago, orpheline said:

Miss grant giving us elementary school teacher 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)