FROGGO

We're Looking For Members to Help with the Interview Subsection!!

@@maru

Brain Magazine interview

LANA DEL REY - LEAVE LANA ALONE

It is well-known, according to several concomitant studies of the Pentagon, from Mossad and from the KGB, Brain is a webzine "prescriber". It was thus normal that we belong to the "happy few" to meet Lana Del Rey, the musical sensation which is on all the lips (this pun tended us the arms and told us "come"). We discussed extreme relooking, Eminem, the sudden celebrity, Vaness' La Bomba… In short, of life.

Lana Del Rey (25 years, Lizzie Grant in the registry) has a lot of merit, she unleashes more passions than Mylène Farmer and Lady Gaga reunited and yet she's not transgender.

After a peaceful childhood and spoiled by daddy, a tycoon of the real estate, close to Lake Placid in the state of New York, the young Lizzie decides to launch a singing career by playing in all the piano-bars of New York and ends up by releasing a first album which knows a bitter failure in 2009.

Today, for some, Lana Del Rey represents the devil in person and this, for three reasons : she chose to opt for a new name, she's visibly passed on the operating table and, oh woe, she signed on a major.

It's true that Lana has a rather prominent mouth (so what ?), that she minces and that she doesn't adopt the indie pause of rigor, otherwise called the "Activia pause" as much Anna Calvi looks tended (that must obviously cause gastric complications to be the PJ Harvey of the poor). But here is, the problem, if it is one, it is that Lana makes some fucking good music. Then why all this hate ?

Video Games and Blue Jeans are two tracks so evident that they become overwhelming. If her songs, pathos, grandiose, epic, romantic do not talk to the ayatollahs of the indie who are turning the eye as soon as a chorus is too catchy or when an "artist" (preferably bearded with a three-string guitar) sells its albums beyond the family sphere, they have at least touched the lovers of the love and the lovers of the pop, this music which has the gall of wanting to touch the largest number of people with words and notes of a disconcerting simplicity.

But, in fact, why did Lavinia make the misery so much to Princess Sarah ? But because she was jealous of course. We better understand why Christopher Owens, lead singer of Girls, but also the biggest indie whiner since Cat Power, has made a scandal because Lana Del Rey was invited on the prestigious set of Jools Holland and not him. But dude, wash your hair, write a masterpiece and maybe we'll talk later.

Hollywood Sadcore

Lana defines herself as a little trashy lolita, a "Gangsta Nancy Sinatra" and it's in this register that we discover her on the terrace of the Mama Shelter for our interview. Capped of curlers and dressed in a small dressing gown, she makes think of a starlet on the return which would give an interview at the edge of the swimming pool of its villa located in the middle of the Californian desert, black glasses on the nose and glass of whiskey in the hand.

There is however nothing, Lana is just preparing for the shooting of its music video which will take place the same night in a castle in the suburbs of Paris. For her new single Born to Die she has indeed chosen to abandon the DIY aesthetic to surround herself with the talents of Yoann "Woodkid" Lemoine who already officiated with Yelle, Katy Perry and Mystery Jets, among others.

Extreme relooking and Kabale

Since its appearance on the web this summer with the clip of Video Games, fed mostly with archive footage, of videos in Super 8 and duckface, Lana Del Rey bothers and the number of her detractors is exponential (the DFA label at the top). "Why did she released this homemade clip if a major and big money are behind all that ?" wonder the haters, always suspicious.

When we talk about it to her she did not seems to be an inlaid robot by a label as her doe eyes are moist and her voice quavering :

"We wanted to classify me as an indie artist because there is a little dark vibe attached to my music and we also said that I went from indie to mainstream totally thoughtfully but the reason for this is really simple : it is because people have loved Video Games. A music becomes pop from the moment when it becomes popular. I can understand that it may surprise certain people that it only happens to me and not to someone else, it surprised me too. You know I'm signed to a major label, but I'm still in charge of all the music like the picture. I imposed Yoann "Woodkid" Lemoine for the realization of my new clip Born to Die, it's me who chooses everything.

I did not become an another person as people like to say, I haven't adopted a character, I'm not the creation of a label. I wanted to take this name for a long time, my first album didn't worked, I thought that it was the occasion. I wanted a cinematographic name, who is catchy but which is at the same time pretty and soft. There's no idea of "reinvention" behind all this, I don't have to reinvent myself, I always thought that what I was doing was good, even when nobody was listening. I am the same person, I see the same people, I make the same music, I listen to the same music.

I don't really know why people make a fixation on my appearance. Ok I cultivate a certain look, but as you see I am normal in real life. I'm disappointed that we speak only of it because for me my music speaks for herself, I find it good. Actually I wasn't excepting people to talk about it at all. My first album didn't work, I had no expectations or any particular hope when I posted this video on YouTube this summer."

Lizzy_Grant_Lana.jpg
When Lana Del Rey was still Lizzie "without the lips" Grant

Inspirations

If her love lyrics and her arrangements worthy of the soundtracks of the biggest Hollywood peplums can give the envy to the most sensitive to cry like a baby, it is however the happiness and Eminem who are her main references :

"My biggest inspiration remains my life, my experiences. I experienced a lot in a very little time, and it hasn't always been easy. My main influence is love, it's an emotion so different from the others, it takes you to the heart and the body, it has an undeniable impact on my music. Even if melancholy is very present in my songs, I write them when I'm happy, otherwise I can't. I can't do anything when I'm in pain, I'm in a daze and I'm good for nothing.

Eminem inspired me a lot in the sense where he puts his life so much well into scene and music. His rhymes are so intelligent and punchy that he influences me in my writing."

Vaness' Del Rey

The editorial staff of Brain Magazine is a fan of Vaness' la Bomba in front of the Eternal, and since her recent reappearance as Vaness Del Rey, the love has only grown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFYREfFpBA

In all logical we thus asked Lana if she had seen the kindly parodic video of the friend :

" - Lana (frightened) : No I haven't seen it, it's funny ? What is she doing ? Does she make fun of me ?
Brain : No, let's say that instead of putting images of Red Carpet in her video, she shoots pigeons in slow motion in the Parisian subway, and then poses as you, but your look is quite different...

- Lana (very feverish, tears in the eyes) : Oh okay, if you tell me that it is funny, you reassure me a little, I was afraid. You know it is not easy to hear and see people making fun of me. I don't know how to manage all that."

Indeed !

The report to the celebrity and the medias

Her look and the choice of her name show that Lana wanted to build a myth, at least a mystery, around her person, but the celebrity codes seem already to escape her and especially scare her :

"I don't know of what the future will be done, my life today is radically different from the one I was living three months ago, and I try to not take into account too much the bad press or even the good, otherwise it's going to eat me. My main preoccupation is to finish this album because that's what currently matters the most to me. My ideal is still to lead a simple life and be available to my family and friends. I don't like this media exposure, being known implies too many complications. I wonder if I will not finish this album and move on to something else."

This one contains a lot of french familiar expression who aren't really translatable, tell me if you don't understand something. I try to stay the more faithful to the original because it's already a translation and if i don't it would become a big fuckery. :suicide:

I'll start working on the french radio/tv interviews after a Community break. :cuteface:

newnownext

NNN: Name

LDR: Lana Del Rey/Lizzy Grant

NNN: Nickname

LDR: Gangster Bitch

NNN: Hometown

LDR: Lake Placid, New York

NNN: Sign

LDR: Gemini

NNN: Turn-ons

LDR: Full-body tattoos

NNN: Turn-offs

LDR: Not much, unfortunately.

NNN: Vices

LDR: Lots of caffeine

NNN: Hobbies

LDR: I like to dance.

NNN: Ice cream

LDR: I'm boring, I like vanilla.

kpri

CC: You're at 2.1KPRI and welcome to Studio I, it's Chris Cantore joined in the studio by... it's the lovely Lana Del Rey. Hi, Lana!

LDR: Hi, Chris.

CC: Do you like my applause?

LDR: I do, thank you for that.

CC: Thanks for coming down to San Diego.

LDR: My pleasure.

CC: Is this your first time down here?

LDR: Uh yeah, actually, in San Diego, it is.

CC: Is it?

LDR: It is, yeah.

CC: What do you think? First impressions?

LDR: Beautiful.

CC: Beautiful, huh?

LDR: Mhm, I had a very handsome ex-boyfriend from here once.

CC: Nice! Do you remember where exactly he was from here in town?

LDR: No, I don't.

CC: No, you just know he's from San Diego?

LDR: That's right.

CC: Do you used to talk about SD a lot?

LDR: All the time. 

CC: What did you used to talk about in particular? The surf?

LDR: Um, it was more the surf punk rock bands, it was just loud in the house all the time and in the car.

CC: No way.

LDR: Yeah.

CC: You're from New York, right?

LDR: Uh, yep, I am.

CC: Okay, so is that where home is now for you, in New York or are you more Los Angeles based or...

LDR: Yeah, in my mind I'm still sort of at home in Brooklyn but I haven't, in reality, been there in some time.

CC: Well, the last, what, six months to a year have just been crazy for you!

LDR: It's been longer than that, I haven't been home for years now.

CC: Yeah?

LDR: 'Cause I was working before but yeah, the last six months has been busy.

CC: Now tell me, can you explain, pardon my ignorance here, but how did it all start for ya? Because everywhere now... I just read Vogue UK or the Brit Award International Breakthrough Artist of the Year, you're already on, I think, your third video of this record for "Blue Jeans", things are really blowing up. Letterman, Kimmel, SNL, this has all happened within the last six months to a year. How did it all start?

LDR: I mean, this is the tip of the iceberg but what lies underneath is definitely lots of years of, like...

CC: It's not like an overnight thing, obviously.

LDR: Well no, not in any world. I mean, I... Well, I guess on a national, like, awaeness level but I guess I've been a writer for a really long time and just started writing more seriously when I moved to Brooklyn and just spending a lot of time alone and sort of doing that and made a record when I was 19 that nothing really happened with but then just kept writing and brought it to some producers in London and kind of just really slowly, step-by-step, different things started to happen.

CC: And was it, kind of, the video that went from recording the music to producing? Didn't you produce your own videos, too?

LDR: Yeah, I make my... I mean, the ones that look like Super 8 flash collages, I definitely made, I've been editing videos for bands for years.

CC: That's awesome!

LDR: Yeah, it's cool. It's definitely surpassed my passion for music, really. Editing, I just feel really strongly about it.

CC: So you starting your own,obviously, video production and was it, kind of, the videos that propelled you, if you will, to the next level?

LDR: In a way, like, I guess what I would say is, in Europe, there's only really one main station, Radio 1. So when their most popular DJ, Fearne, started spinning my record, just because she liked it, it really changed the game for me. Yeah, then all the other stations started playing it in Europe.

CC: It snowballed to a Platinum artist internationally

LDR: Yeah, that's nice of you.

CC: No, it's true! I'm just repeating what I'm reading.

LDR: Yeah, thank you.

CC: Did you ever anticipate that in a million years? I mean, that's crazy. That's awesome, that's seriously awesome.

LDR: Not really, not really. Thank you, I appreciate it.

CC: Now, when it comes with the stardom though, there's also baggage involved and what about all that noise and the craziness that you... I personally, I don't pay attention to that stuff but when you're in the eye of the storm, I'm sure it's a different experience, right?

LDR: It depends on the day but, like, I lived a really quiet life for the last ten years...

CC: L.A. quiet

LDR: Yeah, I'm quiet too, you know, like, when I'm in Los Angeles I am happy, you know? I enjoy my time writing and I have a really big family that I love and we try and take care of each other so...

CC: That's the way to do it.

LDR: There is a lot of noise, um, there's a lot of noise but...

CC: How do you tune it out? With family mostly? A lot of friends?

LDR: I have a lot of work to do and I also have, you know, I have obligations to...

CC: Do you do yoga?

LDR: No, I don't actually.

CC: Do you surf?

LDR: I meditate in my own quiet way, I definitely... visualizing is a big part of my life, you know, imagination, having a vivid imagination and living in that space has been a big thing that has really made me happy and therefore made me a better worker, I guess.

CC: Well, I can tell you objectively, I look at your eyes at a very organic thing.

LDR: Yeah, thank you.

CC: And it's very close and personal, obviously there's a lot of passion there for you and I think that's awesome, I wish you nothing but continued success.

LDR: Thank you so much.

CC: And I understand we're blessed to have you perform in the studio for us right now and what would you like to do for us today?

LDR: I think we're gonna play Video Games for you.

CC: Where it all started, right?

CC: Sort of.

LDR: Yeah, no, I'm sure.

CC: It's been going on for a while. It's at 2.1KPRI, Studio I with Lana Del Rey from "Born to Die", "Video Games".

LDR: Thank you. **Video Games**

kroq

KROQ: Hi, Lana Del Rey!

LDR: Hello

KROQ: How are you?

LDR: Yeah, I'm good, how are you?

KROQ: Thank you, very good. You're so nice!

LDR: Thank you!

KROQ: Why is everyone so mean to you?

LDR: It's not everyone. It's not everyone.

KRPQ: What has the last six months of your life been like? I can't even imagine.

LDR: No, you probably can imagine. Um, I mean, like, in my own life mostly I've just been working a lot. I just had to finish the record kind of quickly and just been on the road mostly with the band doing... We did a little tour in Europe so it's really just been about work and focusing on the trilogy of videos I was making so...

KROQ: Lana's album came out at then end of January and if my figures are correct, I understand you are now somewhat north of 900,000 copies.

LDR: That's what I hear.

KROQ: That's insane, right?

LDR: Yeah, it's more people than I know.

KROQ: I mean for any new artist to come out with a record and be close to selling a million copies in the first three months, I mean that has to be far exceeding any expectations you had when you put the thing out.

LDR: Mhm, definitely, yeah but I didn't have too many expectations in terms of sales, like, when I actually put the record out but yes, yeah.

KROQ: It doesn't seem to fit a lot of the formats of radio that are playing right now.

LDR: No.

KROQ: Were you afraid of that? Of going against the grain a little bit in that maybe you wouldn't get the exposure that you wanted or needed?

LDR: Mh no, just because I never really had too much luck with radio anyways but in Europe it was kind of funny when they started playing the longest track on the record.

KROQ: Did they really?

LDR: 5 minutes 23 seconds love song with no instruments. I was like, really? But very grateful.

KROQ: We cut that one to about two and a half.

LDR: Yeah, you cut it down to 2:54.

KROQ: You know, I was thinking, your story is so interesting and I don't think it could have happened at any different time but now in the internet age. It seemed like the internet was vital to you getting the message out that you were around and that you were a new artist and you made that brilliant video for "Video Games" that went viral so quickly. I mean, you developed a lot of fans in a hurry but then it was also the internet that, as soon as somebody found something they didn't like about you, that was able to be spread like wildfire and it's almost like they built you up and then tried to tear you down within about 30 days, I've never really seen anyone be so loved and then so hated, it became so polarizing so fast it made my head spin.

LDR: Mhm, mine is an unusual situation 'cause I'm not naturally a polarizing or controversial person and what I sing about is actually pretty balanced, pretty normal but I mean, what people have to say about me, the really amazing things and the really terrible things, none of them are true. I have nothing to do with what people say.

KROQ: Some of the good ones can be true.

LDR: I'm sure some of them are but I haven't heard any of them yet. So it is an unusual situation. Yeah, the internet, right now, is creating their own person for themselves to play with and that's their prerogative but for me, I've been an artist for a long time, I've been a writer since I was seven...

KROQ: Really?

KROQ: How do you know you can write a song when you're seven?

LDR: I can't do much else, can't do much else.

KROQ: You co-wrote all of the songs on the album.

LDR: I wrote every word on my album, there is nothing I didn't write.

KROQ: So you co-writers on the album, those are people who helped you put the music tracks together?

LDR: Yeah, my producers. They're my composers and production team.

KROG: Gotcha.

LDR: I mean, I do have one line I didn't write, in "Diet Mountain Dew", and one line in "Lolita" but other than that...

KROQ: That's close enough.

LDR: Let me be clear.

KROQ: That's full disclosure right there. So how did it happen then, for instance, the Saturday Night Live thing we just have to bring up briefly, how did it happen that they even contacted you to appear on the show before the record came out, I don't know how rarely that happens on SNL.

LDR: Because my chart was already number one in eleven countries by that time. Like, Europe is completely different from America, you can have a whole different life there which I do around the world. I mean, when I go to Paris and Milan and when I'm in London, I live a really different life and my songs play on the radio all day, everyday and so Lauren knew about it just 'cause it was around on the other side.

KROQ: Mhm. And they were trying to be proactive in trying to get someone on their way up?

LDR: They were actually! Yeah, they were.

KROQ: And was that something you had concerns about doing? Did you feel like you were ready for that kind of a national exposure in a live setting?

LDR: Yeah, because, you know, I've been performing for eight years, you know, I've been performing playing my own guitar in Brooklyn since I was, like, seventeen so for me it's not like it's something somebody pushed me into and, like, I'm not ready for whatever, you know? I, personally, liked my performance. I like what I do, I like how I sing, like, I'm just a little bit freaky, like, if you don't like how I sing on stage, like, it's just not your thing but...

KROQ: And that's ok.

KROQ: So, based on the fall out that happened afterwards though, did you regret doing it or no?

LDR: No, because I've learned in my, what seems like a very long, life that I make really good decisions. I made a good decision to say yes to that show because I was ready and I don't usually regret anything I do and I liked my performance.

KROQ: You're the opposite of me, I second-guess everything I do.

other KROQ dude: Well you make a lot of bad decisions!

KROQ: Every single decision I make, I have to go back on.

LDR: Ah, that's too bad.

KROQ: There's a lot of video about you on YouTube including, it's funny you mention it, Paris. I've seen the video of fans approaching you on the street in Paris, I saw some of the video of you at your Amoeba Records performance and you are one of those artists and maybe... I can't figure out what it is that touches people in this way about some musical artists but people cry when they meet you alot of times and I can't understand that. Do you?

LDR: Um...

KROQ: Is it because you sing about heartbreak?

LDR: I think maybe what the people who like me like about me is the fact that I really believe in myself and what I do and I never compromise in any way in my life. Not lyrically and not in reality and I think, like, the people who sort of feel like they know me, know me from my lyrics and I think that they know that what I write about is what really went down and how I really feel about it and I never said anything just to say it or just to rhyme over sugary pop songs, like, I really care about documenting my life in a musical fashion and so I think, like, the people who like me are actually artists.

KROQ: That authenticity comes through?

LDR: Well, by the very definition of authentic, it means that you are real and since I really have done everything I said I did do, I think the kids know that. The rest is just a story that somebody else made up.

KROQ: Again, I don't understand why there has been so much negativity toward you, I mean, people who pick you apart for something as simple as changing your stage performance name which dozens of popular artists have done. I mean, it never bothered anyone that Lady Gaga wasn't born Lady Gaga, that's the name and the image that she chose and people love her for it. You do the exact same thing and so many people were down on you. I can't figure out what the rub is with people, I don't get it.

LDR: Sometimes you just see someone and you just don't... You know, it's just their personality, like, if you... Also, like, people, like, we're all pretty, like, simple, lile, you can get a feeling about someone just by the way, like, just on first impact on how they look and so if you look at someone and you think "You know, I don't really like the look of that person", well then their personality gets in the way of their music for you. You can't really tell why or when that's going to happen but, I mean I'm not really surprised, I never really had it easy in that regard in terms of people just letting things fly this is nothing new to me.

KROQ: How do you keep your hair so awesome?

LDR: Lots of extensions and Anna Cofone.

KROQ: I have to be honest, that's the first time that question's ever been asked.

**stuff**

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

PLEASE READ:

It feels weird "liking" this but I did like it to show you my respect for your all your hard work on this! ;) By the way, I don't think you mentioned anything but is there anything we can pay attention to when sending you transcriptions/translations? Like, something that would ease your formatting process?

Aww, I know what you guys mean. I got so frustrated I went and took a tiny nap and now I feel a lot better :3. I'm also super happy with how everyone's been transcribing/translating the interviews, you guys are already making this easy for me. :)

I have to admit, I feel really overwhelmed right now with the amount of work I have to tackle. My problem is that I asked for volunteers when I myself wasn't ready or prepared for the influx of interviews I'd be getting. When I made the original list of 2011 interviews to be translated/transcribed/typed/found, I was already working on another task of formatting 25 other interview threads. I should have finished those interviews first before putting more on my plate.  :facepalm: 

I would ask another moderator for help (as they already have access)... but do you know when you're spearheading a project and you have an odd process of organizing things in your head and you just know how it works, like exactly what needs to be done and what considerations need to be made and all of that? It's just very hard to convey everything you need to when you're intimately acquainted with a project and know the ins and outs of it. I just need to finish up certain things, and set up certain paramaters so that you guys can be brought in, see the set up and formatting, and not have to deal with any loose-ends. You'll just be able to choose an interview, transcribe/translate/type it, and make your own thread according to the format laid out for you. (That is, if you want. If you want to stick with what you're doing, that's cool too). I hope I'm making some sort of sense. 

I had hoped to get caught up, BUT DAMMIT YOU GUYS ARE SO HELPFUL AND KEEP CHURNING OUT THESE INTERVIEWS  :creep: 

So because of this, I'm going to ask that we actually halt work on the interviews just so I can at least get my head above of the water and get all caught up. @ can continue working on her interview, and anyone that has already claimed an interview but has yet to finish it can still post theirs too. Other than that, please refrain from any more work on this project. That means you too, @@Quentin! :P

I promised a glimpse of what I've been doing, so here are some snapshots of what's been going on behind the scenes.   This is still in development and there are still some things I'd like to change here and there! (Don't mind the spelling mistake I made in the album title :creep:)

My hope is that once I get caught up, this can become even more of a collaborative project. We'll all have access to the subforum so we can discuss any changes in format, troubleshoot problems, etc. I don't think it's terribly fair to work on a portion of a project without seeing the bigger picture, giving your input, and seeing how the project develops and grows... which in my opinion is the coolest part of collaborative projects! :)

A really big thanks to everyone that has volunteered and donated your time and effort. You guys are the best! OELZtFm.png 

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Hope it's not overloading you too much  :aw: massive praise for doing all this work though :gclap:  :worship:

Heres the February 2nd, BBC Radio 2 (with Jo Whiley)  :party: 

On the subject of Lana Del Rey, because everyone has an opinion about her now. Kit Kat says ‘Who cares about controversy or anything else when her music is amazing as it is #Goosebumps’ and Liz Taylor in Hickson in Stafford ‘Regarding Lana Del Rey, I’ve loved her voice and her songs ever since I heard video games on radio 2’. I found her on Wikipedia, and then I went to YouTube. She has quite a wide voice range, and song styles. Her early songs come under her real name of Lizzy Grant and are amazing too. It’s just sad to see comments from the haters on YouTube but there are many many more admirers aren’t there always? So her album got great review on Monday nights show when she chatted about it, she did come into radio 2 just a few days ago I had a chat with her.

Jo: It’s radio 2 and I’m delighted to welcome into the studio, onto our show, Lana Del Rey. How are you?

Lana: I’m good, how are you?

Jo: I’m very well indeed, thank you. You’re so charming and it’s really lovely to meet you, having played the music for a long time

Lana: Aww! I really appreciate it, thank you for having me.

Jo: That’s okay! I just wanna start out and just say, because I hate doing those wary interviews, because I’ve been interviewed myself where you’re just going ‘when are they gonna put the good questions?’

Lana: Right, okay

Jo: So we’re not gonna put in Saturday Night Live, anything like that, because you must be sick of it now

Lana: I mean I don’t, you know mind it, I mean it’s alright, you know, it sounded okay to me, and the important thing you know I talked to my beautiful family beforehand and afterwards I suited up, I showed up, I did what I wanted to do, so you know

Jo: You’re so exposed in those kinds of things, and they’re such a big deal, you know those kinds of TV programmes, and those performances

Lana: Yeah, but we’ve done a lot of television, I mean the band and so I mean it was big, but also that was like our- you know we’ve done so much television in Europe, so

Jo: Hmm, what I was going to say was I imagine you’d be quite bruised or breathless, just by the people’s reactions really, to you as a performer, that’s the one thing that having gone through the papers on the weekend, you are everywhere

Lana: Yeah, well

Jo: And I thought ‘what could it be?’ like to

Lana: Well that’s the thing, I mean people just have a strong reaction regardless, so, I kind of know that’s just gonna happen

Jo: But did you intend that in the very beginning?

Lana: No, because by nature I’m not a very controversial person, I’ve lived a really quiet life for a long time, and you know even the songs are sort of reflective of that, I write you know they’re just, they are just sort of ultra-personal, tailor made just for myself, so you know, no. My goal was never to elicit a strong reaction just because I wouldn’t; you know I didn’t really know what to do with that

Jo: The other side of what people think is that there has been such an outpour of love and people defending you, left right and centre that must be a good thing to be aware of

Lana: I mean I’m defiantly aware of it, but again you know I’ve been saying today, if I was sort of ruled by the view that other people took of me, I’d be all over the map like a rollercoaster because it goes up and down because people change their minds, they swing back and forth, and so I sort of do the same thing I’ve been doing which is just kind of, I’m still writing and still you know, working and singing so, I know that there are people out there, and I know they’re talking but I don’t listen too much

Jo: So as a child, I’d imagine you were a performer, right from the off, am I right?

Lana: Umm, not really I mean I was a singer, I was singing with my mother when I was really little, at home, and then I was in like a play when I was really young, but after that I was never in a play again, I don’t think, maybe one

Jo: So you weren’t kind of that natural show off, and didn’t kind of crave the attention and love performing

Lana: No, not really, you know I love to sing and I was singing in church and in school, but I was never in the spotlight

Jo: It was all about the voice

Lana: Yeah, it was very much about the voice, and before I was a singer really I was a writer and so like in school I loved to write and like to write stories, so that was more, something I was interested in

Jo: Did you write poetry?

Lana: I did actually! Yes for myself

Jo: Do you still have them? Books of poetry now?

Lana: No! I don’t know where they are

Jo: And in terms of music then, when you became aware of music, and the artists you really loved, who were those people you just really adored?

Lana: I sort of just found different people in different phases, I found popular music later on in life, I mean early on in my life, I mean I loved Nirvana really, Bob Dylan, I love Elvis and um, Frank Sinatra when I heard his voice for the first time I couldn’t believe it was real, it was so beautiful, so I really just like the masters of every genre

Jo: And did you grow up with a lot of music around the house, your parents I assume were big music fans? Or did you have to seek it out yourself

Lana: Umm, we didn’t really listen to much music in the house,  other than my dad really loved The Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffet, my mom liked you know, Carole King, but we didn’t really listen to it in the house, except like when we were taking road trips in the car and things like that

Jo: So um when did you come to nirvana? Do you remember when you first heard them?

Lana: I do, I mean it’s funny, I saw a Nirvana video, Heart Shaped Box on MTV when I was 11, we didn’t have TV in the house but it was at my friends party and I had walked by the bedroom and saw nirvana heart shaped box on the television and I was really struck by them, but I didn’t find them again until I was 18, so

Jo: So it was in a way, the imaginary and poetry what they were doing

Lana: Yeah it was like the look he had, and I felt like I kind of, I didn’t know what it meant, but I understood what he was feeling

Jo: That makes perfect sense, knowing what you’re all about. So let’s play it

-Heart shaped box played-

Jo: So, can you play musical instruments?

Lana: I can, I play guitar. I haven’t played in some time because you know I was sort of when I was performing in New York I was never really good, but I let the boys do it now

Jo: What about going to see bands? Who did you first see live?

Lana: That’s a good question, let’s see, I’m not a big show person, I went and saw all the kids playing around town when I used to play in New York a lot, they were just different singer songwriters, and then the only other person I really saw was popular was Bob Dylan, I saw him twice and um other than that, I’ve never really seen that much live music

Jo: Why is that?

Lana: I never really had money! But now uh

Jo: So you weren’t hanging out with friends who

Lana: Musicians and things like that

Jo: Not just musicians, just music fans because sometimes that’s when people see music live because of the people hanging around

Lana: Totally, yeah

Jo: Or were you much on your own?

Lana: Well I always planned on finding those people, I always planned on finding my group of people, but for some reason that didn’t really happen, but I’m actually finding more people I realy love now in music

Jo: Where is home at the moment?

Lana: Well home is sort of all over the place, but I’ve been living between Brooklyn and La Bronx for the last 7 years and Manhattan, and um yeah that was where I was for some time and then coming back and forth to London for the past I don’t know year and a half, longer maybe, just coming back and forth

Jo: How are you with hotels? Do you love the luxury or do you feel a little bit alien when you’re in hotel rooms

Lana: When I was young I always thought I would be the kind of person who would live in hotels and love it, but then I found Brooklyn and I wanted to stay there forever, but when I’m in Santa Monica and California, I like the motels on the beach and it you know, in London it’s okay but it’s sort of more lonely here in hotels I find

Jo: Okay, let’s have some more music, and you’ve chosen some Elvis

Lana: Yes

Jo: Okay, tell us why

Lana: You know, I felt the same way when I heard Elvis that I felt when I heard Frank Sinatra which was I just couldn’t believe his voice was real, it was just gorgeous and I actually saw pictures of him first and I couldn’t believe he was a real person he was just epic, so, yeah

Jo: And the track you’ve chosen for us

Lana: Edge of reality

Jo: Okay, just a couple of quick fire questions, what’s your greatest extravagance?

Lana: My greatest extravagance…just being in music

Jo: It doesn’t just feel like a real job?

Lana: It feels like a luxury

Jo: But hard work, the same time

Lana: Sometimes, yeah

Jo: What’s the hardest part of it? Does the writing come naturally? Being in the studio? Producing or? I bet it’s this bit, it’s the chatting

Lana: No, I kind of like talking, the writing and the studio work is all good, I don’t know probably the travelling is the hardest

Jo: Which artist you look to for inspiration when it comes to artists with an artistic vision I suppose, the imagery, the people who really inspired you on the way

Lana: It’s funny, my inspirations haven’t come from other artists, like lyrics exactly, but in terms of how people lived their lives I really am inspired by Bob Dylan’s past and also I don’t know maybe someone like Leonard Cohen who kept it quiet but gorgeous at the same time, that’s kind of an inspiration

Jo: Also your idea of complete contentment?

Lana: I mean I’m really happy every day, I’m happy all the time so, no matter where I am

Jo: Greatest fear?

Lana: I really don’t like flying, I have to say, I really don’t like spiders

Jo: Spiders and flying

Lana: And death, of course

Jo: That’s a given, do you read? And if so what are you reading at the moment

Lana: I do read, I like to listen to things on um books on tape, um I’m listening  to, I’ve already read it but I’m listening to a biography of Elizabeth Taylor, her like most famous one, I don’t know it’s just trashy, it’s entertaining

Jo: I think you’re kind of like just a biography person; you don’t do science fiction or horror

Lana: You know what I don’t do either of them, because I’m scared –laughter-

Jo: Okay and what talent aside from being a performer, do you have?

Lana: I don’t think I have any, let me think hard, I don’t know

Jo: Did you win any medals at school? Anything you were brilliant at?

Lana: No –laughter- No

Jo: Well I think probably the talent you’ve got is okay

Lana: -laughter- I hope so, I try and run on it

Jo: Current state of mind

Lana: Grateful

Jo: And your parents how are they with you and your situation at the moment?

Lana: They’re good, everyone sort of like um in acceptance and knows what’s going on and so, I don’t know they’re in Florida right now

Jo: When did you last see them?

Lana: I saw them for Christmas

Jo: Okay. What’s your more recent acquisition, something you’ve discovered recently which makes you really happy?

Lana: I mean…uff

Jo: I’m looking at your leather jacket to be honest with you and thinking you love it

Lana: Oh yeah! I do, I love my beautiful leather jacket, my friend Johnny gave it to me, and it’s just gorgeous uh so I’m happy about that

Jo: Thank you very much

Lana: Thank you.

tumblr_mucs0g8rNl1skf1lro1_250.gif

I *totally* get what you mean, @@maru. :aw:

I just finished that last transcription I'd claimed, so I'll just leave it here.

RNBJUNK

Transcriber’s note: Okay, so in order to make this easier for everyone, just imagine a big [sIC] after everything the interviewers say. Although I think what they say is (mostly) comprehensible, their English is not very articulate/coherent at times, so… yeah.

I1 (Interviewer 1): Thank you, Miss Lana Del Rey for giving this interview to us, RNBJUNK, and we want to first give you our good feelings about what we heard just before, because we had this chance to hear you performing this morning.

LDR (Lana Del Rey): Thank you.

I1: The first thing we would like to ask you is how much of your feelings you did put in that performance and in your music, generally?

LDR: Well, like when I first start my shows, like, when I first started the show today what I was mostly feeling was just nervous because I really wanted to do well in Milan ‘cause I’ve been waiting to come here, um, but then once I get past the first song I do sort of fall into my own rhythm and I start, I do start thinking about the way that things were, so, um, I do put everything into it just naturally, so… And then, when it comes to my own music it’s 100% autobiographical, um… *looks at someone across the room* Stop looking at it! *laughs*Go over there!

I2 (Interviewer 2): I’m a spy!

LDR: Go over there, you’re making me nervous! Really! Geez…

I2: I’m sorry, sorry!

LDR: *looks back at the interviewer* Sorry! Um, but when it comes to my records, like, I… they’re 100% autobiographical and I really… I’m usually… I am writing about the way that things used to be, so.

I1: Yeah, so it’s just, uh, first thing when obviously listening to your songs that you wrote and your performing that, uh, this new album we have lots of different, of course, feelings and situations that you made us with your music, I mean, you made us feel this.

LDR: Yeah, good.

I1: And about this album what are the things that you care most? I don’t want us to ask this song that you prefer, but what are the topics that you loved most, what you wanted most to tell the people through this?

LDR: Well, like, I didn’t know that I had a common theme running through the record but when I listened back to it I realized I did. I mean, I guess, like, now that I listened to it, it does feel like two worlds of, of death and love coming together. I guess the way I would describe it is like when I was young, um, and I, I was really aware of my own mortality, like I, when I realized that we were all going to die that kind of overshadowed my existence, but then I also, as I got older, like, became a teenager, um, I had fleeting moments of happiness when I started falling in love and meeting amazing people, and so, um, it’s just really, like, I think the record is a combination of those two feelings and worlds coming together in a gorgeous soundscape that Emile Haynie designed. Like, I just, I started working with this amazing producer Emile and he, he’s been like a hip-hop producer for the last 10 years, started working with Eminem, and he came into my life and started putting, like, heavier fat beats underneath the tracks and, um, like soundscaping the record, like putting things into each song that I really, that like brought the songs to life. Like in Off To The Races he put in kids screaming at the swimming pool and, like, in This Is What Makes Us Girls he put, like, car alarms going off and crickets chirping… things like that.

I1: I see. And about your music in general, your career, your way… you feel something different from what you hear from many other artists and music, that is something that makes you say “my music is…” that’s the word that can identify more than… without telling anything bad about other artists, of course, but…

LDR: Oh, that’s a good question. Well, my music is very real. *laughs* It’s real.

I1: That’s the definition that you would use to describe…

LDR: Yeah! Only because, like, the lyrics are autobiographical and, like, I helped compose the actual record and so… it’s very much, it’s personal. I don’t know, it’s personal.

I1: Thank you.

I2: I listened many times your album and I uh, my favorite track is Dark Paradise.

LDR: Do you like it?

I2: Yes, it’s beautiful.

LDR: Really? Do you love it?

I2: The most beautiful for me. Yes. I think that it should be the next single, maybe.

LDR: That’s funny ‘cause uh, I was just in Germany yesterday and uh, I signed to Universal Germany first like a year and a half ago, and they want Dark Paradise to be the single too.

I2: It should. You should listen to that. *laughs*

LDR: I love that song.

I2: It’s very emotional, I think.

LDR: Yeah. It’s amazing because, like I, like I was saying I met Emile Haynie first who started kind of fattening up the mood of the songs with really heavy beats and then he introduced me to Larry Gold who’s been like a famous string composer in classical music for the past 30 years, and his strings really brought, like, the song to life, you know, it just made it sound really gorgeous and…

I2: So the chorus…

LDR: Yeah, do you like it?

I2: Yes, I love it.

LDR: That’s one of my favorite choruses too.

I2: Um, what does inspire you during a writing process?

LDR: During the writing process? It kind of depends on where I am, like, for this record I wrote it in 3 different places. I started in London, then went back home to New York and then travelled to California, but what I used to do was take a lot of walks, like, through Manhattan and just I’d start thinking about the way that things used to be.

I2: You, you mentioned twice in your songs Coney Island. Is that a special place for you?

LDR: Mm-mm. *nods in agreement* When I, like, first got to New York when I was 18 I didn’t know anybody so I’d just take the train down to the beach, all the way at the tip of Manhattan, of New York City, and I would just walk along the boardwalk for hours and start writing my song ‘cause I didn’t really know anyone yet, so I’d just sing into my phone and look at the ocean. I couldn’t believe that, like, the ocean was so close to the city, which was so big. I thought it was beautiful and most of my inspirations for the record have been, like, different places, beautiful places to me.

I2: Which is the different between America and maybe UK, Glasgow…? Where do you…

LDR: Well, the people are different from one place to another, like, the boys in London are very clever, they’re very quick to tell a story and tell a joke, um, and also… It’s just a different culture in the UK, you know, people are really aware of what’s going on, like, they watch the news a lot, they’re, they know what’s happening, um… And then in America, um, I feel like people are sort of living their own lives for themselves, like, it’s individuals and their individual families, and I don’t know, musical taste is different, lots of diff…, lots of different things.

I2: You said that you take inspiration from different artists, such as Frank Sinatra, Nirvana, Eminem… Um, how did you deal with this different kind of music?

LDR: How did I deal with it?

I2: Yeah.

LDR: Like, how did I find it?

I2: How do you mix it in your music, like the hip-hop, pop, soul…

LDR: In my music? Okay. Well, like, when I found Eminem for the first time he really changed my life because I didn’t know that music could be intelligent, like, he was talking about his own life and, like, he wasn’t just rhyming over music just for rhyme’s sake, like he was really talking about the way that things were and so that made me think, like, I could also, I wouldn’t rap but I could also, you know, like talk about the way that things actually were instead of just making stupid music, like, to try and sell it. Um, so, I mean, he’s…  and also he’s a genius, I mean, he’s just, he happens to be a genius, so I love him and then of course I love Frank Sinatra because for the first, when I heard his voice for the first time I couldn’t believe it was real. It was just the most, he had like a golden voice, like a golden tone on his voice. So, you know, like Eminem was the master of lyrics but Frank Sinatra was like the master of vocals, so I really just like the masters from every different genre. And of course, when I saw Kurt Cobain for the first time and I could, I just felt I, I felt like I knew what he was singing about and so…

I2: Would you like to collaborate with Eminem?

LDR: I do really love Eminem. Usually, when people ask me that question I usually say “no, I’m just doing my own thing”, but I have to say I fucking love Eminem. Sorry.

I2: Which artists do you like, do you want to collaborate with if you, if you could? From the past or the present? Maybe working with Frank Sinatra would be, uh…

LDR: I’d like to, I’d like to work with Elvis. I’d like to fucking do things with Elvis. *laughs* I’d like to make out with Elvis. Um, let’s see. Elvis. I don’t know.

I2: Maybe Elvis is you million dollar man?

LDR: Maybe! *laughs*

I2: We noticed that you acted in a somehow theatrical way when you sing. Uh, is it true that you, uh, act when you’re singing?

LDR: Um, I’m not a very good actress but, um, I’m not really, I don’t really consider myself to be acting when I’m singing but I usually just try and like let the words kinda flow through my fingertips, sometimes my hands end up looking dramatic, um, but usually I’m just trying to make sure that my voice is evoking the message that I meant when I was singing it. So it’s more about, like, the vocals but… I don’t know, sometimes I get into it physically, I don’t know.

I1: So it’s your natural way to express, to sing?

LDR: It’s a little bit of my natural way, which is a bit of a strange way. I understand that. But it is natural.

I2: In your songs we can hear orchestral influences, organic sound but also electronic and maybe influences from hip-hop. How do those genres come together?

LDR: That’s a good question. I mean, like, like I was saying before, Emile Haynie, who is like an amazing hip-hop producer, is really good friends with Larry Gold, who is an amazing string composer and, like, when I talked to the guys on the phone I’d say, you know, if I was talking to them about like, maybe the song This Is What Makes Us Girls, I would say to them, you know, “think about the film score for American Beauty by Thomas Newman; that meets Bruce Springsteen and the 80s, meets girls sneaking out in the hot summertime in Miami or something”, and what I try and do is, like, give good direction with pictures and then I let Emile and Larry join worlds together, Larry with his orchestra from Philadelphia and Emile with his beats that he programs. So, I try and paint pictures for them with words and then they send things back to me, and it’s always amazing.

I2: Because Off To The Races, for example, has strong hip-hop influences…

I2: …have you ever heard the last album of Kanye West?

LDR: Which one is his last album?

I2: My…

LDR: My Dark Twisted Fantasy?

LDR: I’ve heard all his singles off of it.

I2: For me there is a simi…, they are maybe, um…

LDR: That’s funny because Kanye loves that song, Off To The Races.

I2: Because those alarms or those sounds that…

I2: …that you listen and they come from nowhere, they’re also in Kanye’s album.

LDR: Which ones, the sounds?

I2: Yes, yes.

LDR: Are they?

I2: Yes, the alarm sound is also in Kanye… If you, if you…

LDR: You’re kidding me!

I2: Yes, yes.

LDR: Well, Emile did work with Kanye on My Dark Twisted Fantasy, I think, I don’t know how many tracks he worked on. But, I mean, I think, from what I understand Kanye also has a love for gorgeous things and gorgeous strings, that’s just something we both happen to love, like have a respect for, like, cinematic orchestral, you know, uplifting sounds that, you know, where the melody of the strings tell the story, the same story that the words do.

LDR: but you have, I mean, it’s a difficult task to take on.

I2: That’s a combination between lyrics and sound.

LDR: Yeah, because you know, sometimes like when you watch movies and you just listen to film scores, like, those melodies tell a story and uh, the strings on my record I think tell their own story too.

I1: I see. We just wanted obviously last question from you, very simple. It’s just to know if you have in the future plans for Italy…

LDR: Yes.

I1: …for other coming back and meeting you in the TV or in live shows and…

LDR: Well, the first thing I’m going to do, well, I’d like to do because I have time in March, when I’m not doing anything, is I’m just coming back to Italy just to see Italy. ‘Cause here I am for one day and so I can’t see anything, so I already told uh, Ben…

I1: I think March is the best month…

LDR: Actually that’s what someone said!

I1: Spring is really good.

LDR: I’d like to just come back and see everything ‘cause I’ve really been waiting to come to Italy for my whole life. And then what I’d like to do is hold just 2 shows, like in a church um, just in the center, like, of Milan and just then meet everyone afterwards, ‘cause, like, for my shows in Europe, when I went on my tour in October, I got to meet everyone, you know, like, I have friends and fans in Germany and, like, London that I still talk to all the time, so I’d kind of like that connection with people from Italy too.

I2: You want it, I can give you my cell phone…

LDR: Do it. Give it to me! *laughs* Give it to me!

I2: Sure! *laughs* Of course.

I1: We really, really thank you for your time

LDR: Thank you so much for coming and thank you for your questions, they’re so smart, they’re about music, they’re so respectful, like, I really appreciate it. Thank you guys!

I1: Thank you, and good luck!

LDR: I need it. *laughs* Thank you.

Keep up the great work and take your time to "catch up" with what's already been posted, and just let us know when / if you need more help! :legend:

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Take your time Maru and be calm. This is not a race. We are already so happy that you want to do this.

It's indeed a huge project but there is no time limit on it. Just relax :agree:  

Also quick question in regards to transcribing. How accurate do you want them to be? I mean like, do you want all the little interjections included as well as any stuttering? So far I've been keeping in interjections like like "um" and "ah" but leaving out stuttering and false starts just so it looks a little cleaner. Your thoughts?

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Also quick question in regards to transcribing. How accurate do you want them to be? I mean like, do you want all the little interjections included as well as any stuttering? So far I've been keeping in interjections like like "um" and "ah" but leaving out stuttering and false starts just so it looks a little cleaner. Your thoughts?

Yeah, I've also been wondering about this. I've been transcribing them pretty accurately, with all the "like" and "um" and "ah" and even some false starts. I only did this because it helps prevent little personal (and possibly erroneous) interpretations of what was said, and while the text makes a lot of sense to me when I proof-read it while listening to the interview again (before submitting it), I have no idea if it's too confusing when read only...

If you guys decide you want a "cleaner" text, I'll edit the transcriptions I've made so far a little bit.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I'm gonna be away until Sunday so the interview will take longer to transcribe! Sorry. :/ If anyone wants to pick up on it, I have a draft saved. 

Oh and I've been putting in all the "like" and stutters I come across. Lots of sentence fragments, lol. 

14417469274.gif

I can do [-] February 2nd, BBC Radio 2 (with Jo Whiley), if no one else is doing that?

Also @@maru, it says on the list that the XFM interview is still in progress but I posted it  here, so that's finished. :)

Edit: :facepalm: Should've read this thread thorougly before transcribing. Oops. :teehee:

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

@@maru  since i have some good free time during summer except in august i would like to maybe transcript something!

Maybe the "May 31st, 102.1 The Edge FM (with Jessie)" one first then i'll see about doing more.... 

can i? or is it already taken but you didn't edit the post ?

qqAZ3mU.png

Yeah, I've also been wondering about this. I've been transcribing them pretty accurately, with all the "like" and "um" and "ah" and even some false starts. I only did this because it helps prevent little personal (and possibly erroneous) interpretations of what was said, and while the text makes a lot of sense to me when I proof-read it while listening to the interview again (before submitting it), I have no idea if it's too confusing when read only...

If you guys decide you want a "cleaner" text, I'll edit the transcriptions I've made so far a little bit.

I love how you are the useful portuguese spoken member :makeup: 

glgcDdT.gif