Sign in to follow this  
Sitar

Lana Del Rey Covers Nylon Magazine's November Issue

The full extent of the hurt all the vicious personal attacks has inflicted on her has really begun to show this year. Last year she was fighting for her life, even fearing for her personal safety; " Are you an assassin" she asked one journalist.

she seems fine to me. and i've never heard about that assassin thing?

Sorry I can't link to it. It.s The Quiteus, The Calvin Report: An American Nightmare. September 27:th 2012.

Yeah, she only meant the assassin thing metaphorically. She replied "Better a bore than an assassin" when the interviewer apologized for "going on a bit". (A lot of the questions were really pretentious and long-winded.)

http://thequietus.com/articles/07106-lana-del-rey-interview

Go here. Put "Grant, Elizabeth" in the search box, select search by name. This is an example of a page, I highlighted the area of authorship:

tumblr_muxle5eVMm1rdytrlo1_1280.png

Does anyone know (@@evilentity maybe?) how correct these are and more specifically rules concerning copyright? For example Justin Parker and Lana has authorship of Ride but the booklet specifies that Dan Heath arranged the strings, doesn't that mean that he should have copyright or does that count as a part of the production? Is the production not copyrighted? Lana is credited for both music and lyrics in every file and as far as I know she's only composed Yayo, does melody count as music or are her lawyers simply being sloppy and crediting every songwriter for both music and lyrics when that isn't the case?

So many questions  :horror:

I'm no copyright lawyer, but yeah, I think you guys are making too much of these copyright listings. Every person credited is credited exactly the same way (for both music and lyrics) on every song. I mean, do you really think Penny Foster, Justin Parker, James Bauer-Mein, and David Sneddon all had a hand in the lyrics for "National Anthem"? I suspect that this just has something to do with the way the paperwork gets filled out. That said, going back to the original point, you can't assume the same thing doesn't happen with other female artists' co-writes unless you have specific knowledge about their writing process like we do with Lana.

Lana has stated many times that she writes the lyrics and melody and people like Nowels and Parker writes the chords.And Daniel Heath and others write the scores.

Uh, no.. they create the music... Lana writes the melodies and lyrics. She even has a hand in the music sometimes, too.

Yeah, sometimes she puts melodies to their chords, and sometimes they put music to her melodies, but that's basically my understanding of how this generally works.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

James Lawrence Irvin and Timothy Elliott Larcombe are credited for authorship of music AND lyrics on This Is What Makes Us Girls.

Why has she always got to lie about it.

I don't think she remembers that TIWMUG is on the album ;)

I'm no copyright lawyer, but yeah, I think you guys are making too much of these copyright listings. Every person credited is credited exactly the same way (for both music and lyrics) on every song. I mean, do you really think Penny Foster, Justin Parker, James Bauer-Mein, and David Sneddon all had a hand in the lyrics for "National Anthem"? I suspect that this just has something to do with the way the paperwork gets filled out. That said, going back to the original point, you can't assume the same thing doesn't happen with other female artists' co-writes unless you have specific knowledge about their writing process like we do with Lana.

Yeah, sometimes she puts melodies to their chords, and sometimes they put music to her melodies, but that's basically my understanding of how this generally works.

this is their involvement broken down:

James Bauer-Mein is credited for Co-Wrote/Vocal Production

David Sneddon is credited for Co-Wrote/Vocal Production

Justin Parker credited for Writing and Arrangement

Penny Foster is brought in by A and R's from labels to work with their artists to co write and develop song lyrics, as well as help with vocal coaching and vocal arrangement.

Lyrically, ride was written by Justin Parker and Lizzy Grant but she doesn’t openly credit him for this.

The concept of ‘Born To Die’ was based on Justin Parker’s philosophy; you're born and then you die, in which he also goes on about the how your brain reacts electrically to music.

It has to be said that there are a lot of people involved and for Lana to say ‘I wrote every word on that album except 1 or maybe 2 or maybe 3’ Is just her claiming she’s the creative mastermind in her own right but she isn’t, this is the agreement the majority of them make with the writers.

The only people I really take seriously as creative musicians and writers are people who actually write their shit and just have 1 producer to produce the album rather than + producers, x amount of arrangers and writers etc but it doesn’t happen very often. That has always been how some of the best albums have been written cause it comes from one source.

side-eye-o.gif

I see your point. I always thought Lana needs co-writers for the melody - as in, she only writes the lyrics (I've said before that I kinda think of her as more of a 'writer' than a musician) - while most of the others rarely write their own lyrics by themselves, and that's how I interpreted Jamie's words as well; of course I can't be sure about that on all counts.

That is how it is.

She talked about it in an interview. On BTD she wrote every all the lyrics, except for one line in DMD and that's it.

And then she has her group of 3 people who do the other stuff, melody and arrangement and stuff like that

That isn't true that she only writes lyrics. She also writes melody, but of course people who contribute at least something get credit. She also helped to compose Gatsby score. And I think of her as a musician and she is. 

That isn't true that she only writes lyrics. She also writes melody, but of course people who contribute at least something get credit. She also helped to compose Gatsby score. And I think of her as a musician and she is. 

Well, she does play the guitar :creep:

this is their involvement broken down:

James Bauer-Mein is credited for Co-Wrote/Vocal Production

David Sneddon is credited for Co-Wrote/Vocal Production

Justin Parker credited for Writing and Arrangement

Penny Foster is brought in by A and R's from labels to work with their artists to co write and develop song lyrics, as well as help with vocal coaching and vocal arrangement.

Lyrically, ride was written by Justin Parker and Lizzy Grant but she doesn’t openly credit him for this.

Lets say this is true. Whats in for Justin to allow that? I dont think Justin Parker would co write a song and not get his credit.

The concept of ‘Born To Die’ was based on Justin Parker’s philosophy; you're born and then you die, in which he also goes on about the how your brain reacts electrically to music.

You're jk right? You're born and than you die is Justin's Parker philosophy? Like HIS?? Should every atheist charge Justin for using their own thoughts? Every decent music school teaches you how your body and mind react towards music. That's why when someone is in a coma they play music to them. Tha's why they use music to teach special kids and the list of things is endless. Is common knowledge not Justin's theory. You are really stretching a conspiracy to create Lana...that sold only 3.5 millions of albuns and hates to tour, doesnt do much advertising and is not really a fame whore at all. Whats in for Interscope?? Lana is not really a Kadarshian selling her soul on tv for money so I wonder why give yourself the trouble to create a character that is not a solid investment. WOuld be better to open a bar since the profit on the beverage industry is 400%.

It has to be said that there are a lot of people involved and for Lana to say ‘I wrote every word on that album except 1 or maybe 2 or maybe 3’ Is just her claiming she’s the creative mastermind in her own right but she isn’t, this is the agreement the majority of them make with the writers.

I think she had a lot of help to give life to her ideas but I think she was a big part of the creation. I believe Lana lies a lot but I don't think she would lie about this subjects. First I believe she is old school. Remember Fearne Cotton started to play Video Games? Lana always credited and thanked Fearne when she could. Tons of intevrveiws she does. Business wise she seems a serious person.

Plus how you explain all her old videos?? Leaked songs?? Lana has a huge bagage lyrically to support her authenticity as a writer on her own merit

The only people I really take seriously as creative musicians and writers are people who actually write their shit and just have 1 producer to produce the album rather than + producers, x amount of arrangers and writers etc but it doesn’t happen very often. That has always been how some of the best albums have been written cause it comes from one source.

Dynamite, Noir, Sin Gio, Motel 6, Fake Diamonds, Tv in Black and White, St Tropez, TOSTB.....and 250 more. That's not nought material to you?

Anyway back to what matters...anyone has scans of the interview??

glgcDdT.gif

Can you please back that up, especially the Justin Parker philosophy thing and the bit about Ride?

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

On how she bonded with boyfriend Barrie-James O'Neill:

"[Kurt Cobain is] a big part of our daily conversation. Jeff Buckley is another big inspiration. And Jim Morrison--I mean, we talk about these people like we know them. They're a part of our relationship. We always say, 'All of our friends are dead, and they never knew us.' I'm lucky to have met someone who feels that way, too."

:assad:

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png