ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

I'm really excited now -  a new Lana album in 2015, unbelievable!

It seems that Lana likes to alternate her album titles - after a dark one comes a lighter sounding one - "Born to die" > "Paradise", "Ultraviolence" > "Honeymoon". :)

I hope the album will be a bit more uptempo than UV (but not too chart friendly)!

I'm so excited she announced Honeymoom which should be expected in August I'm wondering whether it's going to be more similar to Btd or similar to uv. Any predictions? Also I'm assuming she'll release a couple singles that could possibly be sang for her endless summer shows!

So... Wow...

I just read through 90% of this thread and.... 

I gotta say I'm really kind of overwhelmed, shocked and ultimately disappointed by so many of the comments I see here. It would seem that a large majority of the fans here really don't give a fuck about the content or concept of Lana's music as long as we "get a new look for the era" or she stops doing "boring jazz" (which is an oxymoron) or she stops wearing "jeans and tshirts" or starts "using makeup." Again and again the comments here read like a tug of war with everyone pulling her in all different directions. This is one of the first times I have ever truly hoped she does not ever read this forum. There used to be a lot of constructive, thought out criticism here from people who had a wealth of knowledge about music- from genre specialties to music history- and could discuss Lana's work in an interesting way. People could really discuss the cultural significance of what she was doing or dissect her lyrics. This is all just like... "stan" vomit. And if Lana were to ever read through this... Wow... I can't imagine. I would be SO uninspired to see what my fans were discussing and valuing about my art. It's not that there is criticism- I have read thoughtful critiques on her work here before that I wish Lana could/would read because I think they would inspire her so much. However, so many of the comments here miss the mark completely on what is important. She is an ARTIST. Allow an artistic process to HAPPEN. She is not your barbie doll to dress up and style. She is a person who is trying to communicate her soul through a difficult business called the Music Industry that has become LESS and LESS about the actual music.

Do you guys see how so many of us have been conditioned to value the PACKAGE over the PRODUCT in this industry? They are destroying our minds and our ability to appreciate diversity and art in the music world. By us placing so much emphasis on how she looks, we keep perpetuating the kind of business models that starved funding our of Ultraviolence. Labels send interns onto forums like this to get a read on what the fan bases are looking for, what they want. The music industry has taught you to care more about Lana's hair than her words, so now when a label lackey comes on here to read through this garbage, what they will report back to their bosses is "They want a pretty girl, the music seems so secondary." This means, ultimately, more label control. The label could pressure Lana into a package she isn't comfortable with and as a result, we get a less authentic and self-expressing artist. 

This is all hypothetical, but this is how things happen. Consumers of art need to seriously take more responsibility when using their voice. 

I can't imagine how I would feel if I read through pages and pages of comments that missed the point of what I do completely. I would be completely devastated and hollow. 

(Not to say that EVERY post was like this, but I'm just highlighting a few that really stuck with me. Come on guys, we can do better than this. And I'm not even saying Lana's look isn't important to some degree- as she has often used it as an extension of expression of the music. But come on, some of these comments... We are smarter than that and we care about Lana's authentic expression more than that... right?) 

I don't know, I think you are/were overreacting a bit. I went back and re-read and there was plenty of speculation on how Mark being a producer would affect the sound/would the hip hop beats come back, how we hoped she had moved on to a different place lyrically, and even some people talking about how they hoped she'd find her vocals. There was some talk of image, but no more than any of the other parts of the album and even the people talking about it knew it was a little silly. You kind of made it sound like this thread was pages and pages about her clothes/hair/makeup and it really isn't. Most people care about the musical content of the songs; if they didn't they wouldn't be here because if we cared about "the package" alone we all would have left when UV didn't pan out.

It's also not really fair because we don't have any lyrics to dissect and we can't talk about the cultural impact because there is nothing to talk about. Sure, you could with BTD because it was already out when the forum was made. I think the deep-thought stuff will come when the album gets here, because that is what happened with UV and I'm assuming Paradise (I wasn't on here when it was released). But to criticize people for not being analytical about an album that we only know the title and two song titles to is probably a little much. That leaves us with just being able to speculate about things and I don't think it's wrong to talk about what we hope the album will sound like (or what we don' want) or any of that.

Sorry, please don't take it personally, I doubt you meant anything rude to anyone and did make some good points that might be applicable elsewhere, but you came across to me as slightly condescending to the people posting here and I just didn't think it was fair. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Is it really going to be out in August tho? I know everybody here thinks: Lana says August, so it is early 2016.

But she is already talking so much about it and seems to have so many songs done already. And now the artwork.

It almost sounds like we could expect a single in March already

Is it really going to be out in August tho? I know everybody here thinks: Lana says August, so it is early 2016.

But she is already talking so much about it and seems to have so many songs done already. And now the artwork.

It almost sounds like we could expect a single in March already

And the premature hype begins :defeated:

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for her to return to the flower crown, surf noir, summery 50's inspired looks for this new era. I would really like her to reunite with Emile for songs along the lines of Off to the Races, This Is What Makes Us Girls and Diet Mountain Dew.

and also some blonde hair  :D

When I hear the titles we have so far I imagine 50's or 60's style girls on the hood of their car watching hot guys playing baseball during a hot California summer. I also think drive-thrus, cherry pie, coca cola, flower crowns etc.

Ya'll are young and dumb if you think image and music doesn't go together.  :lmao:

They go like bread and butter lmao.

Okay you is maybe a special one of the GP that values music over anything else..that's cute and all but that's not how the world works honey. wake up.

The image, marketing, advert, the things that are presented to consumer decide whether they want to buy it or not. It isn't just the music. It's NEVER just about the music. 

The image of an artist also greatly affect her/his critical appeal. And I thought ya'll know this by now because BTD was trashed by critics not because of the album quality but because of SNL.

Lana cute lil hit and the fact that BTD sold 5 million leading up to the release of UV also effected the reviews of that album.

Like  :facepalm:

The new album is going to be messy interms of reviews that's for sure.

Don't matter how good the music is..She underperformed with her previous era. The critics will have a field day unless the first single becomes a global critical hit.

The new album is going to be messy interms of reviews that's for sure.

Don't matter how good the music is..She underperformed with her previous era. The critics will have a field day unless the first single becomes a global critical hit.

The good reviews of UV happened in spite of BTD's success, not because of it.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Ya'll are young and dumb if you think image and music doesn't go together.  :lmao:

They go like bread and butter lmao.

Okay you is maybe a special one of the GP that values music over anything else..that's cute and all but that's not how the world works honey. wake up.

The image, marketing, advert, the things that are presented to consumer decide whether they want to buy it or not. It isn't just the music. It's NEVER just about the music. 

The image of an artist also greatly affect her/his critical appeal. And I thought ya'll know this by now because BTD was trashed by critics not because of the album quality but because of SNL.

Lana cute lil hit and the fact that BTD sold 5 million leading up to the release of UV also effected the reviews of that album.

Like  :facepalm:

the @ feature is FREE honey  :)

Honestly Lana could release a totally full bubblegum pop album featuring Calvin Harris or whatever right now and still she wouldn't sale as much as BTD if her label DON'T support her. Lana was never meant to be a radio hit singer and that's fine( whatever happened to European radios playing her song was definitely something that couldn't be predicted). What really helped BTD was the longevity - in a year she released 6 videos! None of the singles were instant hits but still managed to continue grow her popularity. While UV it didn't really have a chance in the first place - it was supposed to be the sophomore album of an artist that sold 5 million copies of her debut but they put her in this "internet artist" tag.The promotion of the album was literally abandoned 1 month after. Lana did tried to save it working with VICE to release a video for UV but turned out be that video which didn't help at all - she was already focusing on something else.

I do think if they ( and LANA who cancelled a lot of her promotion stuff) had worked more on this album in the long-run UV would be more sucessfull than already is - it was released 7 months ago after all.  

It's quite obvious that UV was a personal project for her. I definitely think she used it as a way to vent and probably cope with her failing relationship. It's obvious her label didn't like it, too. I honestly think she's abandoning UV so fast because she wants to move on with that part of her life. I think she's just ready to abandon it and write songs about how happy she is now with her lil Italian boyfriend!

Ok, I could easily be posting this because I'm thirsting for more news (duh), but if it's true that the artwork is completed, then could this possibly part of the shoot?

28hj2vl.jpg

It's probably been discussed before (if it has, I missed it) but it doesn't look like a Galore outtake to me - which is what people said it was.