Lana Del Rey

Last Movie You Watched?

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2024)

It seems like a lot of people didn’t like it, but I really enjoyed it. It was fun and quirky, while neither a carbon copy of the first film, nor a totally divergent flop that many sequels end up being these days.

Anyway, I thought it was a good mixture of fresh takes on the original Beetlejuice character/world, while still maintaining a lot of what made the first film fun:

Use of stop action 

Quirky jokes and innuendo

Not overusing the main character

Spoiler

I also thought that Jenna Ortega was fantastic. She brought a fresh, younger spin to the nearly 40-year-old story. 

It’s kind of crazy, but really awesome that Michael Keaton has so much energy at his age. He really upped the fun factor here. 

I can understand some of the film’s criticism though. The plot bounced around a LOT and there were several different story lines mixed in. I know the “soul train” segment got a lot of flack as well for having racist undertones. 

People saying that Beetlejuice didn’t get enough screen time do not understand what was so great about the first film. They didn’t overuse the title character. That made his appearances more impactful. I think I remember reading that a sequel would not get made, UNLESS they promised to limit the amount of time on screen for Beetlejuice. 

I do wish that Delores (Beetlejuice’s ex) had gotten more screen time. I also junk that they spent too much time focusing on the Charles Deetz (originally portrayed by disgraced pedophile actor, Jeffrey Jones) character. They should have just killed him off and moved on. Even if we don’t see Jeffrey Jones acting, they used his picture and/or likeness too much. 

In summary, I think it was a fun film. Was it a cinematic masterpiece? No. Was it quirky, nostalgic and unique? Yes, yes, yes!

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879