I thought a Halsey track sounded kinda Lana-ish before Halsey even sang it or was even a thing. #HipsterAlert

No seriously.

Following my own advice to "Keep an Eye on the 'Industry Players'", I follow a lot of music industry accounts on Soundcloud, including one for TaP mgmt, Lana's manager Ben Mawson's company that manages Lana as well as OTTR, TIWMUG, and G&M co-writer Tim Larcombe. So a couple years ago a set labeled "Tim Larcombe" popped up on there which included two instrumental tracks labeled "BT I" and "BT II", "BT" presumably standing for "backing track", which sounded vaguely Lana-esque so I saved them in case they ended up being used on an album. (I'm not exactly sure when they appeared. This archive.org snapshot indicates they were uploaded in October 2012, but I'm not sure they were public that early. I saved them in September 2013, but I know I found them awhile before I got around to ripping them.) Anyway, fast forward to this morning when I was listening to Halsey in order to defend her detractors from a more educated position when I listened to "Strange Love" and experienced some major déjà vu. I recognized the backing track instantly as "BT I". Sure enough, Tim Larcombe is indeed the producer of "Strange Love":

KF8vXL7.png

Listen to a copy of "BT I" (click on the Soundcloud link below it if the embedded stream doesn't work) that I uploaded as a private track in April 2014 to show to @@Monicker, who deemed it "pretty uninspired":

NhkXWNx.png

I don't think Halsey is a complete ripoff of Lana; she's extremely derivative of her contemporaries in general, one of them being Lana. Her voice doesn't sound at all like Lana. Only a couple songs sound like Lana ripoffs ("New Americana" being the most blatant well-documented example). But she occupies a lyrical universe that overlaps a lot with Lana's. However, being a documented fan of Lana with a song title the same as one of Lana's with a backing track possibly even written for Lana by a producer that worked with Lana and has the same management as Lana... I know some of that's probably coincidence, but it's all just a little too much. And it's easy to imagine her going, "OMG, you worked with Lana? OMG, Can I work with you? OMG, you've got a backing track you wrote for Lana that she didn't use? OMG, can I use it? Great! I'll name it after one of her unreleased tracks!"

:benmawson:

this tea lmao

So this thread hasn't changed that much, people still bitch about her "unoriginality", they keep coming back to this thread and then they say "I don't care about Halsey" yet they spend their whole time trying to "expose" what they call a Lana del Rey ripoff. Let me just go to Lana's threads and bitch about how boring Honeymoon is. Smh.

we told you this was melodrama // last.fm 

Its been leaked for quite some time now

it wasn't on youtube/other streaming sites when i checked and Halsey acknowledged that it only leaked today on tumblr but apparently it was very easily findable if you did some searching on google so idk if i'd class it as already leaked bc only traders had it

RVhKIwP.gif

really though don't you think it's a tad ridic for a 40 year old man to keep on trying to expose a kinda relevant 21 y/o female pop star?  :flop:

"Expose"? I just happened to see a quote that seemed a little incongruous with what little I know about her. So I noted it. Nothing more, nothing less.

really though don't you think it's a tad ridic for anybody to keep on trying to make everything about identity and your personal animosity towards me? :flop:

And lol I'm not 40. I'm about as close to that as you are to having not hit puberty.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Garden and the stripped version of Colors really sound nice. I hope she keeps that direction and drops the boring, annoying sound of Roman Holiday or the album version of Colors.

Why the new bridge on Colors? Also why re-record it in the first place? Is it the single version?

WAIT just finding out about "Garden", can someone send me this?

I can send them but the best quality I found was 128kbps for Garden and 115kbps for Colors (Stripped)

They came from a promo CD handed out at Camp Badlands in Sweden but for some reason no one seems has them in HQ (because her fans are idiots)

I can send them but the best quality I found was 128kbps for Garden and 115kbps for Colors (Stripped)

They came from a promo CD handed out at Camp Badlands in Sweden but for some reason no one seems has them in HQ (because her fans are idiots)

True. These things always find their way in the wrong hands. It's a little promo disc not an album. 320 for everyone. You get 320 and you get 320 and you get 320 :oprah:

Ugh okay well I found it, it's okay. So annoying that it is nowhere to be found in good quality.

H0bDaqU.gif