Just Cherry

Wayamaya

Wow. I'm completely blown away by this track. This is by far my favourite out of the batch of new leaks, and I see everyone else obsessing over it as well. It's this perfect bake of Bentley mixed together with Wait For Life topped with a bit of Kill Kill and just a dash of something à la The Man I Love. It has me completely hooked. Of course, it's already jumped heaps and bounds in my favourites list and I am so thankful to hear this track I didn't even know existed until a few hours ago. I've said it one too many times and I don't mind saying it again - I LOVE JAZZY LANA. This track really amplifies that, especially in the verses. The whole sound this song embodies is so obviously Lizzy with her "Hawaiian Surf Noir." As I've seen someone else comment, if this track was cleaned up a bit, it could most definitely fit in perfectly in Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant. Without a doubt. I don't have enough great things to say about this track. With it's Hawaiian-Jazz flare, it's painfully addictive. And I'm loving every second of it.

Also, a bit of an imaginative reach - perhaps Lana Del Ray came from whoever "Ray" is. Maybe she handpicked Lana first and then chose Del Ray later, with this person in mind. It hasn't been the first we've heard of a "Ray." I say this because someone very dear to me by the name of Hannah gave me a necklace with her name on it, and after she was no longer in my life after a drastic event, I would wear the necklace and when people asked if my name was Hannah, I would reply with a simple yes. I would also introduce myself as such. I did that for a little while until I realized how the time was passing and how I needed to detach myself and move on lol. Maybe this person is someone Lana just can't move on from.. "Even though you're not here, won't move on..."

Or perhaps "Lana & Ray" is referring to just herself, becoming Lana Del Ray in the name's early stage. Or maybe it started out as just Lana Ray, which was also mention in Trash Magic.. "Lana Ray, will you serve me lemonade?"

Or perhaps I'm just overthinking this whole thing and whoever Ray is had nothing to do with her name and I should stop letting my mind come up with crazy ideas.

Anyways.

One last addition before I stop rambling about this track, I can't quite decipher what comes after the "we were living on côtes de l'île" bit, but after what sounds to be "low cal" she makes a sound similar to the last two syllables in Chevrolet (chev/vrolet). So maybe she's saying "low-cal" and then whatever a "vrolet" is. Perhaps some sort of French food (??) or maybe the whole bit is French since she seems to be sprinkling it in here and there in this track. Also, perhaps the "low-cal" could be "local" and then whatever that last bit is supposed to be.

Or maybe Lana just made it up. You know how she can be.

I just said something about this in Lanalysis, but I have to wonder if the Lana and Ray lyric has to do with this: https://angiescreams.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/lana-and-ray/ (a blog post from her ex-bf Arthur). I can't really connect him to the song, but obviously it has to be at least a little more than a coincidence. 

I just said something about this in Lanalysis, but I have to wonder if the Lana and Ray lyric has to do with this: https://angiescreams.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/lana-and-ray/ (a blog post from her ex-bf Arthur). I can't really connect him to the song, but obviously it has to be at least a little more than a coincidence.

Literally the first thing I thought the first time I heard that lyric.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Do you think Lana was influenced to write this song by the Beach Boys? "Surfin' USA" mentions Waimea Bay (and Del Mar) as does "Kona Coast" and the Brian Wilson-penned Jan and Dean title track for the film "Ride the Wild Surf" which was set in Waimea Bay. (Do any of you DIY footage sleuths know if she used any footage from the film in her videos?)

#MonickerBait

:monicker:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

And we changed our names to Lana and Ray

I was listening to this song recently and began to wonder if that line could give her stage name a whole new dimension : Lana Del Ray = Ray's Lana ...?

(Rey, Ray, whatever)

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I love this song so much, but I cringe during the chorus. I wish that Lana could remake this song and change up the chorus. I think about this every time I listen to Waimea. Don't get me wrong, everything else in this song is literally perfection, I just feel the need to get this off my chest!

Please Lana, remake this song with a new chorus, but keep these golden verses, I'm begging and praying :pray:

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

Also, a bit of an imaginative reach - perhaps Lana Del Ray came from whoever "Ray" is. Maybe she handpicked Lana first and then chose Del Ray later, with this person in mind. It hasn't been the first we've heard of a "Ray." 

I always just assumed she took it from that 1984 Ford Spanish car that she used the logo in with her homemade montage work; considering her recurring theme of cars.

Ford-Del-Ray.jpg

ford-del-rey-95.jpg

lana del rey translates to wool of the king, Ray being the king, Elizabeth Woolridge Grant being the wool... lololol probably not but i kinda think it fits. lololol

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

I think Wayamaya is an early concept thing of Kill Kill!
  • Slow beginning with barely an inst, and then after the intro there's a "burst" of Hawaiian, beach sounding, instrumental.
  • We get the choruses/verses after the burst of instrumental, same exact thing happens in Kill Kill.
  • Take a look at how Kill Kill was originally set up in The Ocean, it ends with whispering! Just like how Wayamaya does!
  • and we know Wayamaya was done in 2007 with who? Steven Mertens!!!! We also know the version we have is an edit done by Lana and Steven themselves

I'm really convinced that Wayamaya was (if not a demo) a lay out for Kill Kill!

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

• Slow beginning with barely an inst, and then after the intro there's a "burst" of Hawaiian, beach sounding, instrumental.
  • We get the choruses/verses after the burst of instrumental, same exact thing happens in Kill Kill.
  • Take a look at how Kill Kill was originally set up in The Ocean, it ends with whispering! Just like how Wayamaya does!
  • and we know Wayamaya was done in 2007 with who? Steven Mertens!!!! We also know the version we have is an edit done by Lana and Steven themselves

Neat idea! Even if Lana never consciously linked the two tracks, I think Wayamaya must've unconsciously influenced Kill Kill and drawn from the same well of inspiration :heart:

besides, they're both Surf Noir classics, and two of my favorite Lana tracks <3333333

o4qjp4j.png

its an interesting concept but most likely false. They might come from the same session with Mertens tho (assuming a Kill Kill version was possibly recorded with Steven) because of the similar beach ideas.