Subversive

Music to Watch Boys To: Official Music Video

What I don't get AT ALL is that pink flamingos line. Even before the video, I didn't get the place of that in the song and I don't get what it has to do with anything, so seeing the birds in the video just emphasizes the confusion for me.

Yep, super weird. The only things that come to mind when I think of pink flamingos:

- the film by John Waters/the amazing Divine

- kitsch (like plastic flamingo lawn ornaments)

- flamingos are odd creatures that usually stand, in water, on one leg, and no one really knows why.

What any of this has to do with the song is beyond me, but I kind of love it too?

I'm in love with the video, and I'm not saying that it's her fault with headphones thing, its just a detail that bothers me... The rest is pretty good to me...

I get what you're saying

this is the nicest reply ever omg.. bless you! 

too often people on this site (me included tbh rip..ikr I'm reading myself) get a bitchy attitude when someone disagrees and i just wanna say. UR SO NICE! BLESS U  :blush:  :die:  :spin:

tumblr_mxk6xrLiob1r4y0tco1_500.gif Instagram: pxpi_gringo

im guessing they kept it black and white to make the underwater scenes pop  a bit more, since they're in colour?........

anyway, the video is growing more on me the more i see it.

i really do hope we get 2 more videos this era, i can understand her lack of visuals for ultraviolence, since the whole era was more stripped back, but i do think the honeymoon era calls for some more visuals.

it was great but i hated how it went from b&w to colour back and forth. the whole video could've easily been in colour.

I also don't understand why the boys were only in it for about 5 seconds. There were more girls and girls kissing than boys which I found very odd as the song is titled 'Music to Watch BOYS to' idk

FzytWEW.png

im guessing they kept it black and white to make the underwater scenes pop  a bit more, since they're in colour?........

anyway, the video is growing more on me the more i see it.

i really do hope we get 2 more videos this era, i can understand her lack of visuals for ultraviolence, since the whole era was more stripped back, but i do think the honeymoon era calls for some more visuals.

She said we didnt get many videos with UV because she didnt have visuals for it, in her mind. She said she got more visuals for this album. 

Yeah. Probably, Interscope is done with ha. 

We're reading too much into this. Young & Beautiful has only Interscope logo at the end of the video and it didn't mean Polydor isn't her label any more. It probably means both labels are sharing its costs and Polydor is funding this video/album

I try to keep the reaching to a minimum but to me the end of the video just doesn't seem to be the end of the story in the video. Just the sequencing and some of the scenes almost seem like its leading into something else. I hope we do get something Tropico-esqe, or at least another music video that kind of acts as a continuation. With the inclusion of an interlude in the album, I feel like its kind of possible since that could easily be used as a bridge from one song to another.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

You guys complain when the videos are too literal (putting on my music=she puts on the headphones, or the whole flamingos bit) but when she does something different that diverges from the lyrics (the whole watching boys thing and the underwater scenes) you complain as well :noparty:

Besides the boys appear in three of the choruses ? that's more than enough

what is it that you guys want :toofunny:

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Oh and I did see a clip from the teaser in the video, did you guys notice? I'm hoping that means another video for Freak with the kool-aid scene and the man.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

You guys complain when the videos are too literal (putting on my music=she puts on the headphones, or the whole flamingos bit) but when she does something different that diverges from the lyrics (the whole watching boys thing and the underwater scenes) you complain as well :noparty:

Besides the boys appear in three of the choruses ? that's more than enough

what is it that you guys want :toofunny:

I loved the putting on my music bit, it fit well with the song but then she didn't watch the boys??? like ??

FzytWEW.png

The promo shots were full of colors and vibrancy but OF COURSE the actual video is a black and white mess. Why bother with hair and make-up and showing us her "crew" with the costumes and shoes if she's going to shit on their work with her bland black and white filters? She could have stayed with her freaking cap on it would have been the same  :facepalm:

Another disappointment. I feel like she has no clue, no vision just this boring black and white always everywhere. So tired of this shit :crossed:  

The promo shots were full of colors and vibrancy but OF COURSE the actual video is a black and white mess. Why bother with hair and make-up and showing us her "crew" with the costumes and shoes if she's going to shit on their work with her bland black and white filters? She could have stayed with her freaking cap on it would have been the same  :facepalm:

Another disappointment. I feel like she has no clue, no vision just this boring black and white always everywhere. So tired of this shit :crossed:  

tumblr_m141jal8Bj1rn95k2o1_500.gif

I feel like we wouldn't be as disappointed with the B&W if she hadn't shared those pics of her with pretty glitter on her face and the colorful costume and flowers and shit.

What a waste of glitter! It doesn't shine in B&W Lana! What's the point? I don't get why it had to be in stupid black and white AGAIN. I wanted to see her beautiful green eyes  :creep: I'm so enraged right now  :willcut: I hope there's a director cut soon.

The video is absolutely stunning and the concept SLAYS, but yet again, Lana just HAD to go ahead and make some "artistic" decision that actually ends up ruining the concept. and it's not the first time she's done this:

Ultraviolence (video) had an amazing concept, even though it's simple, it's really thought-provoking and the fact that she ends the video on the altar by herself in her wedding dress is so amazing, BUT, she decided to ruin her concept by recording it as a LQ video on an iPhone. 

Tropico was an amazing short film but the resolution of it is just AWFUL.

High By The Beach, again, amazing idea and love the message it has regarding the media & the paparazzi, but she decided she wanted someone sloppy to edit it and add random jump cuts and shaky filming. But it was "all for the art" so it's ok. 

And now MTWBT, another brilliant concept that would have SLAYED us all completely if it weren't for more than half of the video being in black and white, when the natural colours were perfect anyway!!

And the problem is that no matter how many mistakes Lana makes in her videos, no matter how controversial she is in her interviews, no matter how little promo she does, no matter how cringey her lyrics are sometimes, I always end up back here. Oh Lana sis you're so elusive and weird but I still luv you and you've got a lifelong grip on me even though I can't stand how many shitty mistakes you make lmao

What I don't get AT ALL is that pink flamingos line. Even before the video, I didn't get the place of that in the song and I don't get what it has to do with anything, so seeing the birds in the video just emphasizes the confusion for me.

This article nails it -- http://www.salon.com/2015/09/13/the_existential_genius_of_lana_del_rey_performing_yearning_self_destruction_as_meaningful_as_don_drapers_and_just_as_uniquely_american/

Lana Del Rey, whose third studio album, “Honeymoon” comes out Sept. 18, is a master of The Kuleshov effect. Her early music videos were edited as a series of montages of old video footage paired with images of herself, often dressed up and looking alternately sad, wistful, joyful and longing. In “Video Games,” which propelled her to stardom, we see the iconography that Del Rey is fascinated with—rows of palm trees, American flags, kids playing games, clips of beautiful women, the open road. In later videos we see Del Rey investigating these same images—in “Ride” she plays a beautiful woman searching for meaning in a “Buttweiser” T-Shirt wrapped in an American flag. In “Blue Jeans” she exudes Hollywood glamour with her perfectly coifed hair and white bathing suit, as she looks longingly at beautiful man in a swimming pool who turns into a crocodile. In “Born to Die” we see jean cutoffs, red sneakers, tattoos, drugs and violence paired with images of refinement and royalty—long dresses, tigers, expansive beautiful rooms.

In her more recent “High by the Beach,” we see Del Rey in silk pajamas wander around a giant, empty beach house, and take out a paparazzi helicopter with a gigantic machine gun.

Del Rey is obsessed with ironic representations of American nostalgia. In the world of Del Rey our desires are dangerous and the images of classic Americana are meant to inspire disgust as much as longing. In the worlds of “Born to Die” and “Ultraviolence,” beauty is brutal and America is filled with dangerous, deceptive dreams. Del Rey plays a host of female characters—she is an ingénue and femme fatale, girl next door and glamorous beauty queen. 

"obsessed with ironic representations of American nostalgia" = the pink flamingos that she is fascinated with