Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

Reasons Why Honeymoon Is a Great Album

Well, Lana Del Rey is one of the only artists that excite me. 'Honeymoon' is nostalgic and vintage. Unlike other albums, which are also different, she always increases more experiences. It's fascinating, peaceful and beautiful. A true work involving love, dedication, obsession and all that Lana has caused about all the people who hear it.

paradixo-

the lyrics in songs like Salvatore (and in American) and in Brooklyn Baby

yes, one can read the lyrics

but one can close their eyes and put themselves in the same place and time the voice is coming from

(these are 2 examples)

1000 people have copied Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

However, not one of them got the meaning of the song, even though they read the lyrics and interpreted the song as to the lyrics they read

But the lyrics they read were not the meaning of the words Leonard Cohen wrote

same  Kristofferson's writing of Me and Bobbie McGee (that Janis Joplin had the hit with)

HIS words "Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" was interpreted a million times wrong.

A few years ago, he said what the song meant and I wasn't what they interpreted it to mean, in fact, it was the opposite

(That Freedom is not in his words in his song, all it is cracked up to be. Freedom from everything means crying and howling at the moon because one lost

everything).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I think Honeymoon is one of her best albums yet because of this big cinematic feel it has, everytime i listen to it, i picture the way the song would look like thanks to the way she describes everything so heavenly and mysterious, it's like an ''audio'' movie for me, the transitions between songs help to that feel, that it's one big epic ''story'', so to speak. Also her vocals are absolutely gorgeous here, i love that she's getting better and better every era.

I agree though that while i do like the aesthetic, it's all over the place, here's hoping Freak's video slays, since it's one of my favourite songs from Honeymoon. :flutter:

Those summer nights seem long ago
And so is the girl you used to call
The queen of New York City

Salvatore's bridge is truly, truly amazing. I have it stuck in my head since I heard it for the first time. It's definitely one of the best moments on the whole record.

The bridges on Honeymoon, Terrence Loves You, Freak (though the song itself is horrible), High By the Beach and obviously the best one The Blackest Day... they're incredible. The weakest one is Art Deco, but the song is amazing.

The greatness of the bridges makes the songs absolutely listenable from start to finish (except for Freak and Swan Song :biblio:), because you're not expecting them to be that good. The bridges make the song even much better.

Salvatore's bridge is truly, truly amazing. I have it stuck in my head since it I heard it for the first time. It's definitely one of the best moments on the whole record.

And the instrumental on that part is divine ! The strings :oprah:

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I am still of the opinion that Honeymoon is a complete dissertation about celebrity and fame itself.

And the inner battle of Elizabeth vs. Lana as witness Elizabeth on a Hollywood tour bus going to see the homes of the stars with Lana Del Rey being one of the

stars whose home will be looked at.

And how a younger starlet wanted all that fame had to offer, and the world seen as Elvis and Marilyn is not all it is or was cracked up to be

And how as our heroine ages, the realization that it's a Faustian battle with the devil and time to get off the Yellow Brick road

but with a twist. and a stern warning to the press and to the ones that won't let her grow old gracefully, that she will not succumb and she will not be the people Elvis and Marilyn, and the Beatles' John Lennon ended up in real life, all the others (a short actual career as opposed to a long life)

Honeymoon

Music to watch Boys to  Stated before, repeated, boys=musicians in music terms

Terence

God Knows I tried

High by the beach  where straight out, it conveys the evilness of 24/7/365 celebrity and Lana straight out says what she wants to do

Freak now self-evident after High by the beach

Art Deco  (it goes without saying)

Burnt Norton (read the words, once again that theme of "YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN" nor will she, and to say it should have been

or will be another Lizzie or another Born to die, negates all the meaning of everything she is saying in the first place

Religion channels Leonard Cohen which not only her love of Leonard, but symbolicly, Leonard is quite important as he didn't flame out, but is now in his 80s and alive and relevant to today, not a voice of the past, not living off his own "Born to Die/Video Games"

Salvatore I will keep repeating is Elizabeth/Lana the Billboard Trailblazer who is  walking so far ahead, she occasionally (picture a Boardwalk on a hot endless summer day with a soft ice cream cone, and just when someone might have thought they caught up

with her, only to have her miles ahead, looking back and winking that to be all the way back there is not where she is, and that the only way to keep up (while she is lapping up the competition, pun intended if lap=lick soft ice cream) is to keep moving forward into time present and not go into time past to get to time future

24 is saying literally there are only 24 hours in a day and there is not time enough to do the things SHE wants to do,if she were to only do the things OTHERS berate her for not doing (and that includes she wants her own time to be "High by the beach" she loves, and has traveled 3000 plus miles from NY to California to see the other side of the water (Santa Monica/Mailbu) she was on at the start (Brooklyn's Coney Island)

(as Born to Die/Paradise/Ultraviolence/Honeymoon are all chapters in a story using old Americana Route 66 type Road trips getting there

Blackest Day has a triple meaning the most important being Lana will go on, but on her own terms, and reiterating not what people want but what SHE herself wants, and she will give the people what SHE wants to give them, but not consume and give up her life to please others because the girl is now a mature woman who sees that giving what others want, does nothing but (and this is a direct call out as is the other references in this album to both the media, and the haters that have tried to take her down and failed, and she no longer will even attempt to appease the negativity, so (as in Salvatore, that is all in the past, and the past is gone...as the trailblazer goes forth

on the Boardwalk of life and the only way for anyone who wants to follow is, to just keep following

and for those that don't get it

Don't let me be misunderstood, is the final word saying you just heard every word, and if you don't get it, start again listen, in a continuous loop

until the next chapter is written (there are no eras, only chapters in a never ending story of a life

(regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention (Elvis & Sinatra and Sid Vicious sang in "My Way"

(and this played out while the person whose career most is like hers, David Bowie, name change, persona change, never listening always trailblazing, died not a rock stars death, but an average, ordinary common person run of the mill death from something millions and millions people die from) and knowing his time was running short, but never stopping, never slowing down, never rushing to die by his own hand

and never flickering out

They couldn't have invented a more perfect award for Lana than Billboard's Trailblazer Award. It so outshines any mundane up to the minute award that people forget in the next minute.

and

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I am still of the opinion that Honeymoon is a complete dissertation about celebrity and fame itself.

And the inner battle of Elizabeth vs. Lana as witness Elizabeth on a Hollywood tour bus going to see the homes of the stars with Lana Del Rey being one of the

stars whose home will be looked at.

And how a younger starlet wanted all that fame had to offer, and the world seen as Elvis and Marilyn is not all it is or was cracked up to be

And how as our heroine ages, the realization that it's a Faustian battle with the devil and time to get off the Yellow Brick road

but with a twist. and a stern warning to the press and to the ones that won't let her grow old gracefully, that she will not succumb and she will not be the people Elvis and Marilyn, and the Beatles' John Lennon ended up in real life, all the others (a short actual career as opposed to a long life)

Honeymoon

Music to watch Boys to  Stated before, repeated, boys=musicians in music terms

Terence

God Knows I tried

High by the beach  where straight out, it conveys the evilness of 24/7/365 celebrity and Lana straight out says what she wants to do

Freak now self-evident after High by the beach

Art Deco  (it goes without saying)

Burnt Norton (read the words, once again that theme of "YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN" nor will she, and to say it should have been

or will be another Lizzie or another Born to die, negates all the meaning of everything she is saying in the first place

Religion channels Leonard Cohen which not only her love of Leonard, but symbolicly, Leonard is quite important as he didn't flame out, but is now in his 80s and alive and relevant to today, not a voice of the past, not living off his own "Born to Die/Video Games"

Salvatore I will keep repeating is Elizabeth/Lana the Billboard Trailblazer who is  walking so far ahead, she occasionally (picture a Boardwalk on a hot endless summer day with a soft ice cream cone, and just when someone might have thought they caught up

with her, only to have her miles ahead, looking back and winking that to be all the way back there is not where she is, and that the only way to keep up (while she is lapping up the competition, pun intended if lap=lick soft ice cream) is to keep moving forward into time present and not go into time past to get to time future

24 is saying literally there are only 24 hours in a day and there is not time enough to do the things SHE wants to do,if she were to only do the things OTHERS berate her for not doing (and that includes she wants her own time to be "High by the beach" she loves, and has traveled 3000 plus miles from NY to California to see the other side of the water (Santa Monica/Mailbu) she was on at the start (Brooklyn's Coney Island)

(as Born to Die/Paradise/Ultraviolence/Honeymoon are all chapters in a story using old Americana Route 66 type Road trips getting there

Blackest Day has a triple meaning the most important being Lana will go on, but on her own terms, and reiterating not what people want but what SHE herself wants, and she will give the people what SHE wants to give them, but not consume and give up her life to please others because the girl is now a mature woman who sees that giving what others want, does nothing but (and this is a direct call out as is the other references in this album to both the media, and the haters that have tried to take her down and failed, and she no longer will even attempt to appease the negativity, so (as in Salvatore, that is all in the past, and the past is gone...as the trailblazer goes forth

on the Boardwalk of life and the only way for anyone who wants to follow is, to just keep following

and for those that don't get it

Don't let me be misunderstood, is the final word saying you just heard every word, and if you don't get it, start again listen, in a continuous loop

until the next chapter is written (there are no eras, only chapters in a never ending story of a life

(regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention (Elvis & Sinatra and Sid Vicious sang in "My Way"

(and this played out while the person whose career most is like hers, David Bowie, name change, persona change, never listening always trailblazing, died not a rock stars death, but an average, ordinary common person run of the mill death from something millions and millions people die from) and knowing his time was running short, but never stopping, never slowing down, never rushing to die by his own hand

and never flickering out

They couldn't have invented a more perfect award for Lana than Billboard's Trailblazer Award. It so outshines any mundane up to the minute award that people forget in the next minute.

and

Sorry but Bowie and Lana are two completely different artists. Both are good artists but they have little in common. Besides, how many times has Lana stated that 'Lana Del Rey' is not a persona? And how is Bowie's death in any way relevant in your comparison if Lana is still alive? If you really believe that Bowie is the closest equivalent to Lana's career then it would be more useful to go deeper into the analysis than just scratch the surface here

Otherwise, I like your analysis of the album, it certainly makes it more interesting but imho the album still lacks the drive and soul that Lana's previous albums had. It may be more coherent and may have a well thought out concept but Lana's strength lies in her emotionality and the intuitive quality of her music, and that is sadly what Honeymoon is lacking of

@kristanaj- Bowie died an older person, of a non-rock star ordinary person death that anyone could die of.

It was not a Rock star death. Bowie made it to older age (though not overly old, but not 27 either, not in his 40s like Elvis. Not an overdose

and basically, not a death that was from excess.

Bowie and Lana have a similar chart trajectory (talking USA charts)

(Lana actually has better chart stats than Bowie in the same amount of time Bowie had

Space Oddity was a bomb the first time it was released, and never was a high charter (much like Video Games  and

other songs did not chart in the early days

(Bowie went Disco and got the #1s later on, and wrote with Lennon and Fame became #1 and did duets and had major hits

(and also some shit, like the Jagger duet).

Bowie did few award shows, bowie got few awards (1 grammy and 1 lifetime achievement, though I predict next yr. will win album, male, record of the year if not more, and keep Adele from winning(she was not eligible this year)

Major difference between Bowie and Lana is Lana is much more down to earth, and fan-friendly whereas Bowie was a major asshole

if you met him or asked for an autograph. He considered himself high above a regular person and brushed off fans all the time as a waste of his time.

You can believe Lana is not a persona, however, prior to Honeymoon, I believed one day Lana would be no more and Elizabeth would be, now knowing Lana has had problems with stalkers, psychos, etc. Lana is a way of being Lana on days she wants to, and the months where no one hears anything, she is Elizabeth, in her private life. (and that can be true even if there is no difference between Lana and Elizabeth.

Not being on the merry-go-round where the press is notified someone is going to be at such and such (and then expressing mock horror the press is there) and that is basically the story of High by the beach.

It's a continuing theme.

Some here think/thought she(Lana/Elizabeth) would just disappear forever.

Plainly she is saying that will never happen.

But it's the community she is with that matters, not the fame, not the sales, not the charts

The creating experience, the writing, the recording, the mixing, then doing it all again 9 months later(releasing it a year or 18 months after)

that is important.

Not the bullshit.

So if she wants to party and be with friends in the biz at functions, she goes. But she don't do the shows

Many stars do all the shit

However, many stars don't do the shit and are still stars (and many of those are held in high esteem even if they don't kiss every ass that needs to be kissed.

(Reminds me of Neil Diamond,in his 20s, in 1967, singing "Girl you'll be a woman soon" and Neil Diamond, in his 70s now, singing the same song

and one has to go ewww that is weird, a 70 year old singing a song about a 16 or 17 year old.

the great thing is, if Lana ever actually wants to have a string of #1 singles, or even one, she is just one day away from that song happening.

Doesn't mean though she will ever actually want it, and it's up to her, isn't it?

After all, she could also do a 6 way duet with the 5 Lucian Grande Best Album nominees and have a super group #1 (or do 6 different duets that all are released as singles, including one with Kendrick, and 1 with the country singer Chris Stapleton, etc.)

@@graham4anything

Ok, you're comparing Lana and Bowie solely based on their career choices and successes, I'll give you that, there are similarities to an extent.

Sorry, I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on Bowie but I just have to tell you that you are very wrong about Bowie not being down to earth and considering himself above others. I've been a die hard Bowie fan for years and I have read everything that is out there about him and very rarely have I come across anyone saying that he was an asshole to his fans. The only time he may have been rude was when people started prying too much into his private life. Maybe you personally had a bad experience with him but that doesn't mean that he really was like that all the time. There have been so many accounts from people after his death and pretty much everyone has said what a kind, considerate and down to earth person he was. Even if he chose not to spend 50 minutes signing autographs to his fans it doesn't mean that he automatically considered himself above his fans.

@@kristinaj- I shouldn't have brought up a negative on Bowie.

the last thing I will say on it- Bowie was always positive/proessional in the presence of suits and was quite uncomfortable in the one on one or one on small group with a fan in jeans

whereas, let's say- Elton John will rant and have tantrums aginst the press, the suits, the industry

but time permitting, from day one, has always been pleasant with fans (but not paparazzi).

@@PARADIXO- the blackest day- I love the song. I love her voice on it. I love the "groove" of it. And the play on Billie Holiday. As with all her songs on their proper albums (as opposed to bonus songs)

it is hard to think, what would I have thought of this song, if the others were not there before or after. I haven't specifically played Blackest Day apart from the others.

So it is perfect in the concept of the album, and it again reference of fame, and as time is going on, she is going "deeper and deeper" into Lana Del Rey and being resolute but though this song and Swan song appear dark, she is NOT going to stop, not going to give up, but keeping at it, again, though, on her terms and not what anyone tells her to do.

The part from "you should have known better, than to have her, to let her" that is so her/her

(and by the way, to me that reminds me of the Beach Boys "Kokomo", their only #1 that Brian Wilson had nothing to do with, but was co-written by one of the Mama's and Papa's)

so it is like driving through a tunnel at night and then coming out on the other side and it's morning, the sun is about to rise and the answer is clear

(even though the song is called "The Blackest Day")

and going to Swan Song, where she lets you know, that in an instance, Lana could be gone, but Lana ain't going anywhere.

(and it don't have to be taken as 100% real person autobiographical, but it can be built on it regardless).

I have always said (and in my signature I reference Edith Piaf), but Billie Holiday and Edith Piaf both have parts of their life similar, and both had periods in their life where

they were called (basically) trash, not worthy, posers not the real thing, but at the end, they stood tall, and today are considered iconic

(Lana and her haters call her the same exact thing).

The really ironic part about Lana is, that she already has the money and could just disappear, but she won't. Because she is not in it for the money or the fame or the #1

singles at this point.

She might have started out, back in the first chapters as such, in her immature days, but coming out of that tunnel, has decided , well,

she don't need it, she is happy. (one thing that is evident is how she really appeared happy during the endless summer tour, as if "the weight of the world was off her shoulders"

note- the "Weight of the world" is a really great almost unknown Elton John song from 2004, from the album "Peachtree road" (a street in Atlanta Georgia where Elton has a home)

and how he has gotten out of the "top 40 " single world, and is and has continued but not going for #1songs anymore.

(A really great song, the album was in the style of Lionel Richie & The Commodores "Easy".

and to put this in Lana terms- wish she would do this-

He did the entire album on tour in the middle of a 4 hour show, both in the UK and the US

I saw it both at Wembley, in the UK, where he had a complete orchestra and choir (all white)

and then at Radio City Music Hall, in NYC, again with choir (this time all black), and full orchestra

it was incredible and the different choirs gave both a completely different sound. 

Wish Lana would do some one-offs like that.