sparklrtrailrheaven

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant?

• Kill Kill
    • Queen of the Gas Station
    • Oh Say Can You See
    • Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven)
    • For K Part 2
    • Jump
    • Mermaid Motel
    • Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)
    • Pawn Shop Blues
    • Brite Lites
    • Put Me in a Movie (Little Girls)
    • Smarty
    • Yayo

On 10/26/2023 at 2:12 AM, lanaismamom said:

ye _NND1teWBm8.jpg?size=1024x768&quality=96

Super Random, but I just learned that this is not the Kill Kill CD lol

Confirmed to be a promo sent out by her PR team at the time for websites/ NY blogs to review

lPqTY1H.jpg

I really wonder what was it about this album that Lizzy hated so much... she's said a couple times that it didn't turn out how she wanted so I wonder what her vision for the album was before David Kahne took control... her vision for the album post Mertens / pre-Kahne is so interesting to me

I also think it's really interesting how this album was put on hold for two years because she didn't like it and we almost got a completely different album by 2010

I can't even imagine what this album would have been like if she went through with adding those other songs

Spoiler

I predict the album would have been something like:

Kill Kill

Pin Up Galore

Hawaiian Tropic / Every Man Gets His Wish

Gramma

Pawn Shop Blues

Raise Me Up

For K pt. 2

Hundred Dollar Bill

Jump

Diet Mountain Dew

Motel 6

Queen of the Gas Station

Yayo

Could be totally off but I sense the vibe :whatever2:

Steam Community :: :: The Lindsay Lohan

13 minutes ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

I really wonder what was it about this album that Lizzy hated so much... she's said a couple times that it didn't turn out how she wanted so I wonder what her vision for the album was before David Kahne took control... her vision for the album post Mertens / pre-Kahne is so interesting to me

I also think it's really interesting how this album was put on hold for two years because she didn't like it and we almost got a completely different album by 2010

I can't even imagine what this album would have been like if she went through with adding those other songs

Hide contents

Kill Kill

Pin Up Galore

Gramma

Pawn Shop Blues

Raise Me Up

For K pt. 2

Hundred Dollar Bill

Jump

Diet Mountain Dew

Motel 6

Queen of the Gas Station

Yayo

With that tracklist, it seems like she wanted something more born to die-esque which is funny because she also talks about how born to die didn’t turn out the way she wanted:hide: I think she’s just hyper critical of her own work

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

27 minutes ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kill Kill

Pin Up Galore

Gramma

Pawn Shop Blues

Raise Me Up

For K pt. 2

Hundred Dollar Bill

Jump

Diet Mountain Dew

Motel 6

Queen of the Gas Station

Yayo

i don't really believe she hated it or wasn't at all satisfied with the result, because she still made music videos for a majority of the songs, uploaded them onto her social media platforms like myspace and soundcloud, and performed the songs in david kahne-esque renditions (notably mermaid motel), but i also kinda believe she wanted it to be more similar to steven mertens' demos compared to david kahne's production, i believe in the past she would describe her first album (AKA) being made by her boyfriend which obviously isn't exactly the truth, since AKA is produced by david kahne, but she seemed to appreciate the work she did with steven mertens, and his versions of AKA songs are definitely different compared to the david kahne versions, queen of the gas station was more mellow, mermaid motel was a lot more free-form, trippy, almost like her own kind of epic, and put me in a movie had more prominent instrumentation like the electric guitar, i feel like her live performance of it at the mercury lounge is a lot more similar to the steven mertens version, also, brite lites was more rock-oriented, but on the contrary, the ocean and kill kill are very, very similar

not to mention the fact that gramma and smarty were written in the studio, so they weren't songs she originally wrote and had in mind for the album, but that isn't to say she didn't like them or feel connected to them, smarty was uploaded to soundcloud at some point and she wouldn't have made...7? 8? videos for gramma if she didn't like it! 

it's hard to say exactly for sure how everything went down and how everybody felt surrounding the project, i'm sure there's some songs she wanted to include on the album, like get drunk, trash magic, or pin up galore, that david kahne just didn't think would make the cut, or maybe she just envisioned the final product to be different, but all we can really do is speculate, i do believe she was happy with and proud of the album at the end of the day, but it does have a complicated history, especially since i'm sure at some points she probably felt she couldn't talk about or acknowledge that time of her career because everybody in 2012 was so convinced she was a fake, talentless industry plant who changed her entire identity because her first album flopped, and i'm sure people at the time perceived it to be a cheap, low-effort, basic flop, but it's really one of her most fascinating eras and it 100% deserved better

lastly... i'm so, so glad they didn't let her add/remove any tracks lol, i think the album is absolutely perfect, down to the tracklisting of each individual song, i'm actually glad they changed it from the original one starting with for k, pt. 2, ending with mermaid motel, and having yayo as the fourth track because that one just made no sense

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

13 minutes ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

Hide contents

Kill Kill

Pin Up Galore

Gramma

Pawn Shop Blues

Raise Me Up

For K pt. 2

Hundred Dollar Bill

Jump

Diet Mountain Dew

Motel 6

Queen of the Gas Station

Yayo

But did she ever really explicitly say something about "hating" it? I thought she was pretty happy with the Kahne material and they sort of "hit it off" with the sound she wanted etc, but the real problem was the 2  years delay to finally have it released by the label, which then makes sense that she was "bored of it" and had a ton of different material she wanted to put out. She's always been prolific as hell and if she got bored between Ultraviolence-Honeymoon, I cannot imagine being happy with the album taking 2 years while being completely finished nnn.

I do imagine if she had her way and changed the tracklist, these songs are all very likely + kept Put Me In a Movie. Maybe "Smarty" too, since that came along with Gramma as the ~last songs and she seemed very proud of these sessions.

7 minutes ago, taco truck said:

With that tracklist, it seems like she wanted something more born to die-esque which is funny because she also talks about how born to die didn’t turn out the way she wanted:hide: I think she’s just hyper critical of her own work

Now that you mention it... her 2009 songs are totally Born To Die minus the orchestra

6 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i don't really believe she hated it or wasn't at all satisfied with the result, because she still made music videos for a majority of the songs, uploaded them onto her social media platforms like myspace and soundcloud, and performed the songs in david kahne-esque renditions (notable mermaid motel), but i also kinda believe she wanted it to be more similar to steven mertens' demos compared to david kahne's production, i believe in the past she would describe her first album (AKA) being made by her boyfriend which obviously isn't exactly the truth, since AKA is produced by david kahne, but she seemed to appreciate the work she did with steven mertens, and his versions of AKA songs are definitely different compared to the david kahne versions, queen of the gas station was more mellow, mermaid motel was a lot more free-form, trippy, almost like her own kind of epic, and put me in a movie had more prominent instrumentation like the electric guitar, i feel like her live performance of it at the mercury lounge is a lot more similar to the steven mertens version, also, brite lites was more rock-oriented, but on the contrary, the ocean and kill kill are very, very similar

not to mention the fact that gramma and smarty were written in the studio, so they weren't songs she originally wrote and had in mind for the album, but that isn't to say she didn't like them or feel connected to them, smarty was uploaded to soundcloud at some point and she wouldn't have made...7? 8? videos for gramma if she didn't like it! 

it's hard to say exactly for sure how everything went down and how everybody felt surrounding the project, i'm sure there's some songs she wanted to include on the album, like get drunk, trash magic, or pin up galore, that david kahne just didn't think would make the cut, or maybe she just envisioned the final product to be different, but all we can really do is speculate, i do believe she was happy with and proud of the album at the end of the day, but it does have a complicated history, especially since i'm sure at some points she probably felt she couldn't talk about or acknowledge that time of her career because everybody in 2012 was so convinced she was a fake, talentless industry plant who changed her entire identity because her first album flopped, and i'm sure people at the time perceived it to be a cheap, low-effort, basic flop, but it's really one of her most fascinating eras and it 100% deserved better

lastly... i'm so, so glad they didn't let her add/remove any tracks lol, i think the album is absolutely perfect, down to the tracklisting of each individual song, i'm actually glad they changed it from the original one starting with for k, pt. 2, ending with mermaid motel, and having yayo as the fourth track because that one just made no sense

I don't believe she hated some songs off the album like Gramma, Yayo, and For K pt 2, but others ... all speculation but I don't think she was too crazy for Smarty or Say Can You See since those are the only songs off the album which she has not sung live (from what we know)

AKA was kinda the first time she was not making music with her boyfriends sound ex. Arthur Lynn and Steven Mertens 

Before it's release Lizzy also said this about the album::derpna:

"I am pleased. The funny thing is, if it was exactly the way I wanted, then I would say that I am completely pleased, but because it's different than I expected, I'll be pleased if many other people like it too.  I feel like a shithead saying that...but I hope it gets some kind of recognition just so that I can move on and do some different things."

Also head of 5 points records said: 

"And then we were moving towards the whole album and that’s when things shifted. She wanted to change her name, got new management, they wanted to change the record. A lot of things happened that made it difficult to figure out exactly what image she was going to have, what she was going to support, and [she] clearly didn’t seem that excited about the record. The manager came in and was insulting about the record, and I thought, “Wow, we’re an indie label, we got David Kahne to produce this record and you’re negative about it.”"

Also another time she said "It wasn't how I wanted" or something like that but I can't find it.

She definitely wasn't feeling the album as a whole.

But yes she must have loved some songs she made with him like Gramma

5 minutes ago, DinahLee said:

But did she ever really explicitly say something about "hating" it? I thought she was pretty happy with the Kahne material and they sort of "hit it off" with the sound she wanted etc, but the real problem was the 2  years delay to finally have it released by the label, which then makes sense that she was "bored of it" and had a ton of different material she wanted to put out. She's always been prolific as hell and if she got bored between Ultraviolence-Honeymoon, I cannot imagine being happy with the album taking 2 years while being completely finished nnn.

I do imagine if she had her way and changed the tracklist, these songs are all very likely + kept Put Me In a Movie. Maybe "Smarty" too, since that came along with Gramma as the ~last songs and she seemed very proud of these sessions.

Posted some quotes about her not being completely satisfied with it above. 

Lizzy and Kahne did hit it off but they were also butting heads Ex. The Ocean turning into Kill Kill cause she was frustrated with them

Steam Community :: :: The Lindsay Lohan

19 hours ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

I don't believe she hated some songs off the album like Gramma, Yayo, and For K pt 2, but others ... all speculation but I don't think she was too crazy for Smarty or Say Can You See since those are the only songs off the album which she has not sung live (from what we know)

I've absolutely forgotten where I read this, but I recall a piece of email correspondence to a friend or something to that effect where Lizzy said OSCYS was a deeply personal song for her, that she often sang it to herself as a kind of comforting mantra. So, that one may have just been too close to her heart for her to give it a lot of public attention, and I can still see her cutting it from a later tracklist for that reason

o4qjp4j.png

1 minute ago, sparklrtrailrheaven said:

I've absolutely forgotten where I read this, but I recall a piece of email correspondence to a friend or something to that effect where Lizzy said OSCYS was a deeply personal song for her, that she often sang it to herself as a kind of comforting mantra. So, that one may have just been too close to her heart for her to give it a lot of public attention, and I can still see her cutting it from a later tracklist for that reason

that just makes me love oh say can you see even more than before, if that's even possible :xcry: to think it was so special and personal to her, i can see why, it's so blissful, dreamy, and comforting :cryney2:

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

4 minutes ago, The Siren said:

do we have recording dates to the No Kung Fu demos?

get drunk - august 14, 2007

mermaid motel (demo) - september 6, 2007

i'm sure the rest are all from 2007, likely summer and/or fall of 2007

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

On 12/27/2023 at 3:57 AM, Lindsay Lohan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kill Kill

Pin Up Galore

Gramma

Pawn Shop Blues

Raise Me Up

For K pt. 2

Hundred Dollar Bill

Jump

Diet Mountain Dew

Motel 6

Queen of the Gas Station

Yayo

Do we know if she wanted to add such songs as Coconut and Key Lime Pie, Lemonade Motorcycle Heaven, High, Reflec etc.?

On 12/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, sparklrtrailrheaven said:

Oh Say Can You See is so underrated. Putting my opinions aside as much as I can, I definitely think it’s one of her best tracks from that era :wub:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

My ideal rerelease of a.k.a would be 

The standard tracklist ofc and then a separate ep/mixtape/collection of lizzy grant side bs to fully encompass the erra bc we all know she's not going back to it.I think it would probably have the tile The phenomena of lizzy grant just with a different tracklsit then the og mixtape hopefully smth like this

1.A Star For Nick

2.Fordham Road

4.Ben

5.Axl Rose Husband 

6 Wayamaya 

7.Disco

8.Vivian 

9.Elvis 

10.Hundred dollar bill or get drunk

11.Trash magic

12.Pin up galore

13.Star lux

14.Let my hair down

15.Motel 6

16.Marilyn or Me and my boyfriend 

Happy 14th to one of the best my favorite albums. Time to spin that record and whip out my aka purse xx

lizzy-grant-lana-del-rey.gif

My AKA purse ↓

Spoiler

IMG-3361.jpg

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°