Jack

Melanie Martinez

Portals sounds nothing like K-12 (except maybe The Contortionist). She went in a different direction and while some of the songs maintain their cringe factor, that’s just Melanie. I think the album contains most of what makes her sound uniquely her, but is a departure from the overdone theme of the last two albums. Do you guys wanna hear more songs with the twinkly jack in the box sounds effects? :rip:

Portals 1.0 was vastly better than the final version of Portals, but it still bodies K-12. I think there was a combination of redoing music after the leaks and also some issue with Kinetics and One Love, whether that meant she didn’t like the sound they came up with together, or that they had some personal disagreement. She must have known Tunnel Vision was too good as/is to leave it off the final album.

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

Im so saddened (the reference :P) that the general public won’t be able to enjoy and stream the genius songs she has unreleased for this project… like this could have easily been AOTY! But for some reason she decided to scrap the “cherries on top” and leave un with 3 strange rock songs, multiple Oliver Tree diss tracks, a song about Periods (YUH) and Sp***r Web… 

What a face palm Melanie :defeated:

16 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

She must have known Tunnel Vision was too good as/is to leave it off the final album.

she should have kept the same energy with Garden at least :crai:

that was our new Cake for the gays to cry when they get ghosted and move our asses :twirls:

16 minutes ago, iJoshicus said:

I like the other 12 tracks. But this is my spiderweb. 

Honestly after listening to it now a few times the verses are great, I just really hate the chorus. It’s lifeless, underwhelming, and stale.  

After listening through void twice in HQ (with different headphones the second time to figure out if it is just mixed weirdly) it feels very... incomplete? It sounds to me like a demo she should've taken to someone else to be finished up with new elements instead of just adding more effects. I especially find it odd how most of the song doesn't have background vocals and the basic guitar thing follows the whole song, seemingly in place of a bass line? I hope the rest of the album isn't like this, but I think pretty much all of the songs are going to have some of these same issues if they weren't fixed with Void before release. 

26 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

they are… Light Shower, Leeches and Womb… 

Leeches has strings and fuller production that wasn't in the leaked demo, Womb does have guitar but calling it an acoustic song is a stretch. The only true minimalistic/"acoustic"-esque song on Portals would be Light Shower 

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

Just now, Coloringbooks said:

Leeches has strings not just guitar and was upgraded from the demo, Womb does have guitar but calling it acoustic is a stretch. The only truly minimalistic/"acoustic"-esque song on Portals would be Light Shower 

Further proves Leeches is the Song of all time thank you very much legend :true:

Im not saying Leeches is bad, I actually like it a lot (she should have used Hawaii Space Guitar as an outro or something). There’s nothing bad having acoustic songs, in fact I like Womb and Leeches… but Light Shower is a 5 minute torture of boredom 

but saying the album doesn’t have acoustic and slow songs is not the reality… having some strings don’t make a song any less “acoustic” either

9 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

but saying the album doesn’t have acoustic and slow songs is not the reality… having some strings don’t make a song any less “acoustic” either

I'm just confused by @dyktatuob saying half of the whole album has that sound and "there were times where I thought I was still on the same song"— when Light Shower, and Leeches tbf, are the only ones that have the acoustic/slow-sounding vibe…

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

1 minute ago, Veinsineon said:

It’s so obvious that Void (demo) transitions into Dragon’s Blood, Tunnel Vision to Faerie Soiree, and Leeches to Needle & Thread …. it’s gonna sound so weird not hearing them like this.

really? Actually makes sense, if she had a similar tracklist in mind like:

1.   Death (demo)

2.   Void (demo)

3.   Dragons Blood 

4.   Tunnel Vision (demo)

5.   Faerie Soiree (demo) 

6.   Spider Web 

7.   Leeches (Demo)

8.   Needle & Thread

at least we’re getting TV and FS anyways 

15 minutes ago, Salem said:

After listening through void twice in HQ (with different headphones the second time to figure out if it is just mixed weirdly) it feels very... incomplete? It sounds to me like a demo she should've taken to someone else to be finished up with new elements instead of just adding more effects. I especially find it odd how most of the song doesn't have background vocals and the basic guitar thing follows the whole song, seemingly in place of a bass line? I hope the rest of the album isn't like this, but I think pretty much all of the songs are going to have some of these same issues if they weren't fixed with Void before release. 

This is a much more accurate description of my feelings. I love love love the album. But this one single song feels unfinished and underwhelming. She should have handed it to Kinetics & One Love to fix it up for her before releasing it. 

Banks   Billie Eilish    Evanescence   Florence + the Machine

Grimes   Halsey   Lady Gaga   Lana Del Rey   Lights   Lorde   MARINA   

Melanie Martinez   Poppy   Purity Ring   Sky Ferreira   

1 minute ago, Coloringbooks said:

I'm just confused by @dyktatuob saying half of the whole album has that sound and "there were times where I thought I was still on the same song"— it's only really Leeches and Light Shower with the acoustic/slow sounding vibe…

actually no. that's not the truth, ellen

6 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

I'm just confused by @dyktatuob saying half of the whole album has that sound and "there were times where I thought I was still on the same song"— when it's only really Leeches and Light Shower that have the acoustic/slow-sounding vibe…

well, maybe not fully acoustic but Deaths verses are quite stripped back and The Contortionist is quite slow also (maybe mid-tempo, idk I love it anyways) 

Also don’t forget about Womb 

maybe this is what they were referring to 

4 minutes ago, Wessdude said:

VOID music video confirmed by herself on Tik Tok :party:

Niice :kris::beyonce:

Just now, Anonymcomenter said:

well, maybe not fully acoustic but Deaths verses are quite stripped back and The Contortionist is quite slow also (maybe mid-tempo, idk I love it anyways) 

maybe this is what they were referring to 

yup and also i was mainly talking about the verses of the songs