Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

Every artist has "good" and "not-so-good" live performances. One "not-so-good" performance is not necessarily indicative of a long term decline. Her 2015 Endless Summer show at Woodlands, TX had some of her best live vocals ever.

Fair but it's also her stage presence and energy

“You have good performances. You have bad performances. Not every performance can be a good performance, you know. You’re gonna have some amazing performances and you’re gonna have some okay performances.”

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

To be honest... if I only listen to the clips, I don't hear that much of a difference, except for the end of the bridge ("and you're alive again..!"). She still sings nice, but maybe it's just the facial expressions that have changed? In the first clip from the bar, her eyes looked shiny (about to cry or because it was zoomed in so much?) and she kept on looking up while she looked down at Lollapalooza.

I think she has changed her stage presence since the dancers came, she seems much cooler (as in cool breeze) now. But yes, I guess it depends on what she's feeling during that day. I think she once said why she starting crying (Dublin show?) at a concert, because all these fans cared so much and she wasn't sure if she really did that night. But I know she loves her fans.

I haven't had the time to watch that many concert fancams, but I really love this performance of Yayo in Moscow. Everyone are so quiet and Lana really... I dunno, it's just magical.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I don't agree with those who say that she cannot really sing. Her recorded vocals are not perfect but they are difficult to reproduce and sometimes are outright magical. I remember a piece written by a girl from a punk band about Ultraviolence. She listened to the album when she traveled with her band in a van. She tried to sing along but she gave up because of the difficulty of the songs. On stage, on the other hand, Lana suffers from something similar to dyslexia in reading, she just cannot find the right key sometimes, messes up the melody and everything just sounds off. Sometimes it's a technical issue but most of the time she just cannot sing properly. It was obvious from the beginning of her career that she has this problem but she never did anything to correct it. Her problems lies right here: she cannot perform properly so she hides most of the time from everything which involves singing in public besides festivals and her shows. Her festival appearances were hit or miss but she mixed a lot of recorded vocals with her live ones something that you cannot do in smaller venues because it's so obvious and disappointing. At the BBC show the whole LFL chorus was prerecorded practically and was cringey. All of her performances seem like an improvisation sometimes but mostly not in a good way. I gave up on Lana the performer, she puts so little effort in her shows that I had to chuckle when she was presented at the BBC show as a global superstar. The only thing that I have a little hope for is the album. But so far I didn't listened to Love or LFL for months and this is coming from someone  who, for years, was a Lana voice addict and listened almost daily to her music.

While I certainly agree that it could have been better and also felt somewhat uncomfortable at the initial hearing of this performance, having listened to it some more as well as the other female and female-fronted acts (Pale Waves, London Grammar, Zara Larrson, Emeli Sande, Anne-Marie, Katie Perry, Lorde), I think LDR did respectably (i.e., competently) at representing a style of singing different from the rest. The closest comparable for me was London Grammar (a voice sort of midway between Florence and Marina), but even there, the virtuosity (considerable though it was) seemed different. LDR's also singing pretty virtuosically in the last 3 songs, at least at times. The "key dyslexia" I didn't really hear, but if it was in Cruel World, that was the highpoint for me in terms of naturalness of singing. It's her power levels, which seem anemic relative to others, that seems to put people off, and I'd love to know what the first 2 songs would have been like with voice mixed at twice the instruments.

It's not that she's off key her acapellas aren't I mean she sings in higher octaves a lot I read somewhere you can mix up the key and without it sounding bad if that makes sense

The problem is sometimes her voice just dissapears and sounds outright bad as of late namely all of her love performances

She's about 10x times better a singer now than she was during the btd era so I have no idea what all those stupid gays are talking about. It's like you have forgotten when she sounded like a dying whale for 70% of 2012. :rip:

This. Is. Iconic.

Mfhp.gif

She's about 10x times better a singer now than she was during the btd era so I have no idea what all those stupid gays are talking about. It's like you have forgotten when she sounded like a dying whale for 70% of 2012. :rip:

I mean the whale sound was creepy and weird but at least she was trying hard..now she's just bored and whispering some words is not singing like she always does in off to the races verses

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

It's not that she's off key her acapellas aren't I mean she sings in higher octaves a lot I read somewhere you can mix up the key and without it sounding bad if that makes sense

The problem is sometimes her voice just dissapears and sounds outright bad as of late namely all of her love performances

Love in Austin was tragic honestly

:eek:

she hasn't sung it since and probably won't again 

oops forgot about weenie

One for the money, and two for the shOOWW, WHHOA WHHOA WHOOA WHOOAAAAA :whine: :whine: :whine:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Getting better doesn't mean it's Ok hon.

All these questions are legit 'cause she's supposed to be a pro.

I LOVE Lana's albums, and I don't blame her, it's very humble that she doesn't do playback.

But I can't blame my entourage to not take her seriously w/ that kind of BBC performances.

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

I like how she didn't sing Love at BBC because she knew she's not been doing her best at singing it live and it would have flopped even harder cause of her anxiety from being recorded. 

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

I have mixed feelings about her bbc performance, lust for life and cherry were a bit of a disappoint (I really think is was a sound problem too though) but video games was good, and cruel world was awesome for me !

While I think I wouldn't hurt for her to improve her breath control, it's undeniable that she has amazing pitch control. Listening to her KROQ performance, she jumps between notes so precisely, flawlessly and effortlessly, especially in her upper register. 

She truly has the best vocals (albeit not the strongest) I've ever heard. Legendary mother.

Anthem5.gif

Cruel World is one of her best songs but it sounds so terribly underwhelming when performed live. I get so bored

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

for me, if Cruel World studio version were like 1-1.5 mins shorter, it would be perfect

oh see for me the longer her songs the better, but i see what u mean it does drag a little bit but it has a great climax at the end, so it's worth waiting for

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

oh see for me the longer her songs the better, but i see what u mean it does drag a little bit but it has a great climax at the end, so it's worth waiting for

yeah i love her longer songs (i.e. TBD, Honeymoon, etc.), but Cruel World gets a bit tedious for me at the 4.5 mins mark