Sign in to follow this  
BluVelvUnderground

Snippets are letting us know that Lana's albums are still concept, and this one is really thought-out.

I originally posted this in the Pre-Release thread, but thought it'd get more attention here. Wanna explain something I happened to notice while checking out the snippets.

I honestly think "Love" was meant to set the mood for the album overall. It has the guitar, but it has the "wall of sound" hip-hop to it, as well. And then, from "Lust for Life" to "Coachella", it really is like a stretch of sexy, summer-driven hip-hop tracks and ends on a positive track that is political - and then, we get all the guitars, and the veteran folk singers (or related to them) rather than the contemporary artists that feature in the first half. I think it's very intentional that the last half is going to have a Woodstock-vibe, only through some of the familiar hip-hop additions that modernize classic sounds. "Tomorrow Never Came" sounds very 1967-71 rock. Definitely see where she's connecting the "two generations", and why she probably feels kids looking into vintage music may find it denser if they understand that history is sort of repeating itself through the anxiety of the current political American heat. It's exactly what she said she wanted to do with the album, and her chronology of the tracks seems to really suit that concept. Even at around the half-point of the album, if you count "Love" as just the intro/combination of the two sounds, and "Coachella" the track that moves the hip-hop into its poltical, folk-driven side.

Lana still doing concept, for sure. 

A SORT OF CHART (lol):

INTRODUCTION (folk guitar strings open the album, but blends into spacey, "wall-to-wall" hip-hop noises)
01. Love

SEXY, SUMMER-Y, HIP-HOP (7 "wall-to-wall" hip-hop noises)
02. Lust for Life
03. 13 Beaches
04. Cherry
05. White Mustang
06. Summer Bummer
07. Groupie Love
08. In My Feelings

THE BRIDGE (a more stripped back hip-hop beat, letting the album kind of cool off a bit before getting more poltically-minded)
09. Coachella..

POLITICAL "GANGSTA" FOLKY-Y (7 "wall-to-wall" hip-hop noises, but more laid back, with heavier guitar and folk featured artists)
10. God Bless America..
11. When the War Was at War...
12. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems
13. Tomorrow Never Came
14. Heroin
15. Change
16. Get Free

It's like she takes us from "Coachella" to "Woodstock" by using that track as a bridge. As I predicted, the song works in concept of the album; but releasing it as a single is bizarre. From what we have in the snippets, this album seems to be very well-thought out. 

I originally posted this in the Pre-Release thread, but thought it'd get more attention here. Wanna explain something I happened to notice while checking out the snippets.I honestly think "Love" was meant to set the mood for the album overall. It has the guitar, but it has the "wall of sound" hip-hop to it, as well. And then, from "Lust for Life" to "Coachella", it really is like a stretch of sexy, summer-driven hip-hop tracks and ends on a positive track that is political - and then, we get all the guitars, and the veteran folk singers (or related to them) rather than the contemporary artists that feature in the first half. I think it's very intentional that the last half is going to have a Woodstock-vibe, only through some of the familiar hip-hop additions that modernize classic sounds. "Tomorrow Never Came" sounds very 1967-71 rock. Definitely see where she's connecting the "two generations", and why she probably feels kids looking into vintage music may find it denser if they understand that history is sort of repeating itself through the anxiety of the current political American heat. It's exactly what she said she wanted to do with the album, and her chronology of the tracks seems to really suit that concept. Even at around the half-point of the album, if you count "Love" as just the intro/combination of the two sounds, and "Coachella" the track that moves the hip-hop into its poltical, folk-driven side.

Lana still doing concept, for sure. 

A SORT OF CHART (lol):

INTRODUCTION (folk guitar strings open the album, but blends into spacey, "wall-to-wall" hip-hop noises)01. Love

SEXY, SUMMER-Y, HIP-HOP (7 "wall-to-wall" hip-hop noises)02. Lust for Life03. 13 Beaches04. Cherry05. White Mustang06. Summer Bummer07. Groupie Love08. In My Feelings

THE BRIDGE (a more stripped back hip-hop beat, letting the album kind of cool off a bit before getting more poltically-minded)09. Coachella..

POLITICAL "GANGSTA" FOLKY-Y (7 "wall-to-wall" hip-hop noises, but more laid back, with heavier guitar and folk featured artists)10. God Bless America..11. When the War Was at War...12. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems13. Tomorrow Never Came14. Heroin15. Change16. Get Free

It's like she takes us from "Coachella" to "Woodstock" by using that track as a bridge. As I predicted, the song works in concept of the album; but releasing it as a single is bizarre. From what we have in the snippets, this album seems to be very well-thought out. 

Couldn't agree with this more, I don't think the tracklist could just "coincidentally" end up like this. Lana truly did plan this out well. I love how the first half has more summery and gritty songs with a contemporary production, while the second half has a more stripped back, lowkey feeling that speaks to the lost era of Woodstock. She truly bridges the gap between the past and the present and is appealing to both the younger and older audiences she has. She truly has outdone herself with this record.

when did rob change his username

, regardless this was nice to read- couldnt agree more with everything you said  :)

The summery sexy part is so fucking amazing.

favorite 7 track sequence in an album ever

What's cooler is that, if you wanted to, you could really see it as Lana's "for the fans" promise. Both sides of the album seem to reflect on the styles of both Born to Die and Ultraviolence.

Coachella being released when she did, stakes HER as the trendsetter, the one who led the way politically and once again shows how others have followed or will be following her

(in the same way "Terence Loves You" was written and released and sung before David Bowie died (and it was not pushed afterwards as single like some others might have profited off of the song.) Lana's was there before.

and btw, remember too that Coachella came PRIOR to the Selena Gomez concert and aftermath, but is so apropos of that too

as I said, can't think of any song that will top Coachella, I withhold judgement on the album until after the entire album is released to let everyone hear it

btw- on a different thread I said-

Groupie Love is in a way the direct companion meaning wise to "High by the beach" and part of the meaning of Groupie Love is telling the kiddies if they see Lana at a concert and Lana is attempting to enjoy it as a private person in a public place, give her space. Of course she is so nice she will pose for the selfies and all, but remember, she is trying to enjoy

the show or atmosphere herself as a regular person would.

But placement is always important in all of Lana's albums, all of which are concept albums.

(more after Lust for life is released)

@Mr.Meeseeks glad to see another poster who loves concept albums and sees that all of hers are.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

@Mr Meeseeks Thanks for this - I (personally) have decided not to listen to the snippets that came out recently - With the album release being so close, I don't want to negate the overall experience I will get from listening to the whole album, beginning to end - You're breakdown is pretty cool though and something I will keep in mind as I listen to the album over and over and over, again and again and again....

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

@Mr Meeseeks Thanks for this - I (personally) have decided not to listen to the snippets that came out recently - With the album release being so close, I don't want to negate the overall experience I will get from listening to the whole album, beginning to end - You're breakdown is pretty cool though and something I will keep in mind as I listen to the album over and over and over, again and again and again....

I think some knowledge of the concept beforehand helps in picking up on the story during a first listen. It's mainly how I've managed to get some die-hard progressive rock friends to listen to Ultraviolence - and almost all of them became fans afterward. 

Having not listened to snippets, I've been wondering if her color coding is significant for grouping certain songs

DEje92vUAAAnQxo.jpg

Buuuut it seems odd to group Tomorrow Never Came with that "fiery" early/middle section

I think some knowledge of the concept beforehand helps in picking up on the story during a first listen. It's mainly how I've managed to get some die-hard progressive rock friends to listen to Ultraviolence - and almost all of them became fans afterward. 

Oh girl, I did the same with UV came out. This one "straight" guy I was crushing on was like "No, Lana's garbage" but he was a huge Dan Auerbach fan, and I converted his ass  :hooker:

You should PM me what you told them about UV conceptually though :defeated: 

She always organize her tracklist per style and influences; like Diet Mtn Dew and National Anthem close; Fucked My Way Up and Money Power; 24, Swan Song and Dont Let Me Be.

Since Paradise she keeps the bops at first and then ends with some ballads, the last one written by her is always grand and magnificent, with strings and stuff.

She always organize her tracklist per style and influences; like Diet Mtn Dew and National Anthem close; Fucked My Way Up and Money Power; 24, Swan Song and Dont Let Me Be.

Since Paradise she keeps the bops at first and then ends with some ballads, the last one written by her is always grand and magnificent, with strings and stuff.

OT but seeing you type these out made it JUST hit me how hilarious Swan Song and DLMBM being one after the other is... she is literally saying "yes, I wrote a song called Swan Song, no, i'm not quitting music". Not that I think it is why she chose that cover, but a clever/funny piece nonetheless  :teehee:

I like this analysis re: LFL tracklist, CWIMM makes more sense and actually, to me, explains why I felt like it was "out of place" earlier... because it mixes the two sides of the album and is the bridge, it fits neither here nor there, but is its own part of the story. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.